The Tree Room @ Sundance
8841 N. Alpine Loop Rd.
Sundance, UT 84604Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Tree Room @ Sundance
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://sundanceresort.com/dine/tree_room.html
- Phone: 8012254107x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday - Saturday 5:00 pm- 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American, Dinner Cruise
- Executive Chef: David Mullen
- Dress Code: Resort Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Fireplace, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Tree Room @ Sundance
At The Tree Room, dining is an art form. Recipient of the prestigious 2014 Forbes Travel Guide Four Star Award and the 2014 Best of State American Artisan Fine Dining award, Chef David Mullen serves seasonal mountain cuisine. The atmosphere is romantic with candlelight and soft illumination accenting the Native American art from Robert Redford's private collection.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Tree Room @ Sundance - Best Restaurants in Sundance ›
The Tree Room @ Sundance reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (29)romantic (27)fit for foodies (15)scenic view (14)notable wine list (9)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (2)good for groups (2)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- 5 star rating for perfect dinnerboss4foodDined on 10/9/2014The Tree Room is a delicacy. The service, ambiance and scenery are the definition of what is to look forward to and the food still overshadows the experience. Thanks SundanceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth the drive!ParcitdeervalleyVIPDined on 10/2/2014The restaurant itself isn't all the beautiful and they really need to work on their lighting...It's terrible. Who wants a spot light in their face while dining? But the food and service were both so good that I was able to let the lighting issue go and really enjoy myself. Can't wait to come back. Next time I will "wear my sunglasses at night".Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We had a wonderful evening. The service was fantastic and the food + wine pairing terrific!Special Features:
- The Magic Is BackOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/22/2014We have made a habit of going to Tree Room. For nearly twenty years, it has been a treat my friends and I look forward to to celebrate our birthdays. We were VERY surprised when we went two years ago, and the experience seemed, well, normal. The food was good but pedestrian. The excitement was gone, and our annual B-Day Dinner seemed just ordinary and passe. So much so, we skipped our annual b-day dinner at Sundance last year for Grand America. We gave Sundance another look this year, and I am sure glad we did- the magic is back. The food is exciting again. The service above what we expect (and we expect a LOT from TR). The live guitar is a GREAT touch! If TR seems to have lost its magic recently, give them another shot. Its back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dinnerhungryegretsDined on 8/15/2014My husband and I had delicious dinners. My steak was terrific as well as the rest of the meal. My husband had the lamb and it, too, was delicious, but it wasn't quite enough for him. The decor, ambiance, excellent waiter were all excellent. We would highly recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:
- My favorite placeNivekDined on 8/9/2014We came to the Tree Room to celebrate an anniversary. This is our favorite restaurant all season long. Exceptional in the Summer, after dinner you can take a nice walk around the Sundance creek and waterfalls. The food is always spot on and Sundance has a very comprehensive wine list. Their cocktails are great too. Service, ambience, and attention to detail are all what make Sundance Tree Room so incredible, and our number one spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great ambience, but pricysmpjrkDined on 8/8/2014Steak was good straight-forward American fare, deserts were below par for a good chef.
- Anything GoesTheFacerPartyDined on 8/2/2014The waitstaff was a joy to be around, took care of us hand and foot. Odd seating arrangements, but the food was just fine. Lobster not loved by all, but that's okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and mealTomMDined on 7/25/2014I imagined it would be an expensive dinner suitable for special occasions and/or rich folks, with small plates of food, and the experience worth more than the food. But I was very surprised at the excellent food, the amount of food we got for our money, and how well each dish compliment each other and itself. The ingredient were perfect and each was perfectly matched to the dish. I love this restaurant and would return without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience was great we'll be backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Shawn (Sean) and the rest of the wait staff were friendly and prompt. Food was excellent. A fair price was fair for an excellent mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 357 reviews are from the The Tree Room @ Sundance reviews archive.
- Fantastic food and service!kim001Dined on 6/28/2014Our waiter was attentive, courteous, and helpful. The ambiance was romantic and peaceful. You can't beat the beautiful mountain setting. We ate indoors, but there was outdoor seating as well. The food was amazing! My husband ordered the chicken, which was good, and I ordered the steak, which was probably the best steak I have ever eaten. This is definitely a restaurant to visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!RubaVIPDined on 6/20/2014Everything was wonderful. Our waiter, Sean, was the best waiter we have ever had! I had the lamb and my husband had the pepper steak. Both were very delicious! I was surprised at the end of the meal with a special birthday dessert. Highly recommend!!Special Features:
- TreeroomBoone99Dined on 6/18/2014Overall I would recommend this restaurant but it is expensive - $150-170 for two people without drinks, the service was slow and they seem to be short staffed. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOutstandingDined on 6/14/2014Outstanding 'dinning experience', as usual. I first had dinner at the Tree Room in August of 1973. My wife and I have a dinner at the Tree Room at least twice a year.Special Features:
- First Time to Dine at The Tree RoomCyn53Dined on 6/14/2014I have lived in Salt Lake for many years and have always wanted to dine at the Tree Room at Sundance. I finally got the opportunity this past weekend. My husband and I shared the Lobster & Gnocci Salad. It was really good and the portions were perfect for sharing. My husband followed the appetizer with the Little Gem Wedge. For an entree my husband had the Buffalo Ribeye and I had the Tree Room Pepper Steak. Both steaks were cooked perfectly and the sides were delicious as well. We shared a Strawberry Shortcake with Burnt Rosemary Ice Cream for dessert. Our waiter, Skylar was very helpful in choosing wine. We paired a wine with each coarse. Wonderful experience!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2014Dinner at the Tree Room was an incredibly memorable experience. Every bite was sublime, most menu items are locally or regionally sourced, expertly prepared and beautifully delivered. Service was top-notch, professional and friendly. I would describe the ambience as casual elegance with incredible attention to small details and extras - from the opening amuse bouche to the tiny keylime tart to top it all off, fabulous!Special Features:
- Origional Guest45yearguestDined on 6/7/2014We first enjoyed the Sundance Tree Room the year it opened in 1969. As always the experience was great when we chose Sundance for our 45 wedding anniversary. The food was fantastic and the service was great!Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/5/2014My salmon was overcooked and my partners Pepper Steak that was ordered medium-rare was medium well. The service was very good. For the price, I'll go somewhere else.
- JandJDined on 5/31/2014Went here for our wedding anniversary and it was beautiful and we loved our waiter. The spring veggie soup was very fresh/ healthy tasting but not a lot of flavor. The lobster, gnocchi salad was not great. The lobster was a little tough and chewy and the gnocchi very mushy. My husband ordered his steak medium rare and it was barely pink in the very center and a little tough. He did say some bites were tender and delicious though. The bread of nuts and fruit was really good as was the chocolate pudding with salted caramel. I liked the little spoon size bites they bring you throughout the meal as an appetizer, sorbet and little cookie at the end. Portion sizes very small for the price which is fine if every bite is amazing but it wasn't.Special Features:
- For a special eveningNetsDined on 5/29/2014It was a LOVELY setting! Everything was comfortable -- from the seats to the lighting to the soft music. "Elegant rustic" The only improvement I can think of is to expand the menu. I would like to go back, but would think twice because of the price.Special Features:
- Service tops all, great foodDrewDined on 5/9/2014Every time we've dined at Sundance we have been delighted with the service - it's the kind of place where the staff tell you it's "their pleasure", instead of "no problem", to serve you. The server and assistant servers were very personable, attentive, and prompt and made this a very enjoyable experience. The food was excellent and the ambiance was wonderful, making for a perfect evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World-Class Fine Dining!AustrianConnoisseurDined on 5/2/2014Sundance Resort's TREE ROOM offers a world-class fine dining at its best! The quality of the food and professional services matches the amazing setting of the restaurant and resort itself. Sundance's Tree Room managed to exceed our high expectations. Thank you!Special Features:
- Quiet Evening in the MountainsAmShaZamDined on 5/2/2014The very knowledgable and attentive staff kept us informed, comfortable, and content through the evening. There were many enticing menu options and we were not disappointed with our choices: the pepper steak and the halibut. The Tree Room is quiet and intimate--perfect for a romantic evening out. I really have no complaints; we had a great dining experience!Special Features:
- Never disappointsDrKLMDined on 4/4/2014The Tree Room never disappoints. Excellent food from local sources, terrific service, and a lovely setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisingSandyDDined on 4/3/2014We contacted the restaurant several days in advance regarding one of the dinner guests being gluten free. We were surprised and disappointed that at the price point of this restaurant so little was done to accomodate. It is a very expensive restaurant albeit in a beautiful setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SundanceWinslowlarDined on 3/19/2014Great service!fine food.Natural seroundings.My favorite place in the whole world thanks to the taste of the owner!Expensive but outstanding quality that you expect from Bob!You feel like you are on the Jeromea Johnson set.Fresh Mt air!Great Sundance water with magical powers for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprised...JenzelDined on 3/11/2014Maybe I expected more since I heard how great it wasSpecial Features:
- Always delivers great diningDine4FunVIPDined on 3/8/2014We have frequented The Tree Room a number of times and are never disappointed. Food is always great - if you do have bread rolls, you must have the Sundance Roll; Farm Egg is great, but have to opt for the Rabbit over that even, although both excellent; the Elk is always excellent; Pork is tasty but can be a little bit rich; wine list is excellent. Service is always impeccable - Tyler and Ben looked after us brilliantly. Ambiance is beautiful, although have to admit we are very biased and love Sundance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a trip to Provo CanyonbrowneyedsusanVIPDined on 3/8/2014Worth a trip to Provo Canyon and the 2 miles up to the amazing Sundance Resort. It's idyllic. Tree Room is amazingly cozy, mountain setting gorgeous and the food, service and atmosphere, all stellar. Perfect for a special occasion, anniversary dinner then stay overnight in the well appointed rooms on property. A bit of Utah heaven just 1 hour from SLC.Special Features:
- Worth the DriveKDogVIPDined on 3/6/2014We were staying in Salt Lake City and heard such great things about The Tree Room at Sundance. It lived up to it's billing as a fantastic destination for food, wine, service and scenery. Our friends from Denmark thoroughly enjoyed the pairing of wine with food. The Duck Confit appetizer and the Elk entree were incredible. As one of our guests said "It was a Party in the Mouth with each bite." Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The staff was absolutely greatJanaDined on 2/26/2014The staff was absolutely great - beautiful, friendly, personable, attentive but not too much. I think the staff makes this place stand out. We had Sundance salad and the Elk - and that was a wonderful new food experience for us. The little things like the little chef's innovative starter and a little one-biter dessert for a farewell also added a special touch. We enjoyed the whole experience tremendously. Thank you.Special Features:
- Hands down best place in a UtahKellsskiDined on 2/21/2014What can I say? I love everything about this place!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food way overpricedkartmanDined on 2/15/2014I enjoyed the food and so did my wife. For what we paid the quality of the food did not match the price tag. For that reason alone I don't think we will be revisiting the tree room. The food at Communal and Foundry Gill are as every bit as tasty as the tree room. We sampled half of the menu and felt the food was good but did not match the hefty price tag.Special Features:
- Always a great experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014We love going to The Tree Room. We always have the best service and walk away planning our next visit. Of all the Utah County restaurants, this is the best hands down. I recommend the Pepper Steak or Buffalo. Delicious.Special Features:
- Perfect!iheartjojoDined on 2/14/2014So delicious and wonderful! I recommend the buffalo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were there Valentines.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014We were there Valentines. The menu was disappointing--very limited. My wife would have ordered the Valentine menu option but the waiter would not substitute a choice of dessert from the left side of the menu. The reason: "It is for efficiency and speed of service." Yeah--right. She instead ordered off the other side of the menu. Personally, I feel the chef is trying TOO hard to make the menu unique. Very limited seafood choices. The other meats were buffalo, elk, duck, chicken. My wife ordered the elk--and it was excellent. Her potatoes accompanying the meal were not close to done. There were only two small ones so not big deal. The one grape roll was killer; the other roll was possibly purchased at Wal-Mart. What a contrast.
- One-of-a-KindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/13/2014I surprised my wife with an early Valentine's dinner at The Tree Room. It was an amazing dining experience! The restaurant is fancy but a regular foodie will not feel out of place. We loved the quality of service and were surprised by how accommodating all servers were. We plan to keep this restaurant as our first pick for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Beautiful PlacecheezefaceDined on 1/31/2014This restaurant is quite possibly the most exquisite in the entire Utah Valley area. The dining experience we had here was second to none. Very romantic and cozy. The artwork and tapestries are worth the look as well. They try to name drop Robert Redford at every turn there at Sundance, so the whole "private collection" hype does not make it more impressive. The waiters were very professional, friendly and helpful. The cuisine itself was impressive. The chef certainly deals in Latin fusion mixed with traditional French-style cooking, so there were moments where the food seemed a little unorthodox and strange. But there was nothing that would warrant it tasting awful. It was just different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was well prepared andExploradusDined on 1/25/2014Food was well prepared and the quality was very good. It was surely the center piece of Sundance. Quiet and comfortable.Special Features:
- wonderful ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014Great atmosphere and food. If you can get the round table by the fireplace its the best. I've been told its Robert Redford's standard table. Well worth the trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.