532 North Country Rd
Saint James, NY 11780Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://kitchenatrattoria.com/
- Phone: 6315843518x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday- Friday Noon- 2pm
Dinner: Tuesday-Thursday 5:00- 9:00pm
Friday: 6:00- 9:00pm
Saturday 5:30- 9:30pm
Sunday: 4:00- 8:00pm
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Eric Lomando
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout
- Catering: At Kitchen A Trattoria we offer private parties on premise for up to 32 people. We have several packages to best accommodate your needs. We also implement off-premise catering.
A word from The Trattoria
At The Trattoria we share our version of Italian American Cuisine. We strive to source the finest and freshest ingredients available on the American market, and prepare them with Italian sensibility. The food is rustic and soul satisfying. We continue to offer the same relaxed atmosphere, and come as you are, drink what you want hospitality that we bring you with The Trattoria.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Trattoria - Best Restaurants in St. James ›
The Trattoria reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (70)neighborhood gem (58)special occasion (26)romantic (12)great for lunch (6)good for groups (5)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Excellent always!JMR1219Dined on 8/23/2014This place, even under new owernship, is fantastic! For the value you cannot beat it on Long Island. Food is always excellent, atmosphere is casual and friendly. I have never had anything bad here. Everything is wonderful!Special Features:
- Outstanding dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Trattoria offers outstanding food in a very relaxed atmosphere at a very reasonable price, especially for those who enjoy bringing their own wine.Special Features:
- Best foodouttolunchDined on 8/21/2014It's all about the food. Never had something I didn't like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice local spot.MIXITDOCDined on 8/20/2014Interesting compilation of ingredients that are served in a small and some what crowded surrounding. Menu was explained but difficult to hear the servers presentation due to background noise. Price fix is a nice way to go compared to the Chefs Special. Special was all the same for the 4 people even though various requests were made. This should have been more diverse. Plates were rather small but tasty. Note: Be selective and choose different entrees. Price fix or individual courses are the best way to go along with BYOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flowergirlDined on 8/17/2014A great experience. Warm fig/arugula salad, brasato w/creamy polenta and strawberry almond dessert w/gelato all wonderful. The mistake we made was ordering an extra pasta course to share - we were too full!! Only criticism was the pasta - buccatini carbonara was very creamy but too salty and would have preferred without parmesan on top.Special Features:
- Best Place in TownTownieDined on 8/8/2014I absolutely love coming here! The menu is seasonal and the food is always out of this world. I've never been to a place comparable, except maybe a restaurant in Italy. It's THAT good!Special Features:
- Great things come in small packagesOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/7/2014The Trattoria may be cozy, but the fare here is anything but small! The chef's creations are authentic and the variations make for a true dining experience, especially if you share amongst family and friends. The service was just right, knowledgeable and accessible ... but not over-bearing. Be mindful to BYOB and have cash on hand. But once again, this only further distinguishes The Trattoria as not your ordinary Italian restaurant!Special Features:
- Trattoria Shines!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/7/2014Not our first visit to this hidden gem in St James. Very hard to pick from among the fantastic menu options (might be worth the chef's sampler...maybe next time!)...took the gazpacho, beet salad, Chicken Milanese, and Papperdelle Bolognese...all were prepared to perfection! Seasonal Sorbet (black cherry) was just right. It is BYOB, but not a problem as the wine glasses and corkscrew appeared as soon as we sat. Overall, a highly recommended spot for a terrific meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great food experiencestammDined on 8/7/2014The Trattoria has been consistent, serving excellent food. I always enjoy my visits and look forward to my next meal. It has become my favorite resturante on Long Island.Special Features:
- Hidden GemFoudiniDined on 8/6/2014Delicious and can not wait to come back again and again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd VisitRichmondVisitorDined on 8/2/2014Our second visit to Trattoria..... again... a great meal . Small place and very simple. Can get noisy if you have some other diners who are as obnoxious as our neighbors on this visit. The food is always very good to great. Everyone loved their diners. The two servers were great. Helpful friendly and informal. This place is a GEM!!. This visit... Meatball over polenta appetizer, Paperdelle Bolognase small plate, Chilled Corn soup... Diners.- Pork Braciole, Lasagne and Eggplant Parm. All great the Pastas can be superb and the Eggplant Parm was unreal. Worth the trip always. BYOB and Cash onlySpecial Features:
- amazing, as usual!DDDinahVIPDined on 8/1/2014I can only say that the food and the consistency of serving such amazing food at the Trattoria delights me and is why we continue to return. The pork braciole was unbelievably tender and delicious. I generally order fish and my meal this last time, including the pork belly with plums over faro was “amazing”.Special Features:
- Always the absolutely the bestAramVIPDined on 7/30/2014It's always a pleasure to eat at The Trattoria. The five course chef tasting menu was an absolutely great line of great dishes that left us with very few words in between. The staff is always extremely attentive and knowledgeable. The small area, and being able to see the staff work makes it very homely and special.Special Features:
- Terry from NesconsetNesconsetFoodyDined on 7/23/2014As always,dinner was perfect ! Food is always outstanding.This was the 1st time I ordered a pasta dish. If I have one view to offer to the chef..as much as I love food,not everyone likes grated cheese. I think the guest should be asked or the cheese should be served table side.You can have a great pasta,that doesn't need to be avalanche d by grated cheese. Still love the chef,but I will ask him to hold the cheese the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- St. James Gem!MariaStJamesDined on 7/17/2014A recent NY Times rave review mentioned ownership change. So for a special dinner with friends this week, I suggested The Trattoria. We had the best time! A comfortable round table for 5, BYOB and a delicious menu. I tried the Paccheri with Suckling Pig Ragù for appetizer and the Red Wine Brasato with Creamy Polenta entree. Both fork tender and delicious. Other hits at our table were the Roasted Fig Salad, Lasagna and Pork Brasciole. My friends who had the gelato dessert compared it favorably to what they had in Italy. I loved every bit of of the Black & White Creme Brulee. Menu changes often. Service was good and not rushed. A wonderful little gem of a restaurant where they care about the food and the customers.Special Features:
- Lovely birthday dinnerKnitstamaticDined on 7/1/2014My husband and I celebrated my birthday at The Trattoria. We chose to do the chef's tasting menu. All I can say is outstanding!! Thank you for making the day special. We will absolutely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusanCDined on 6/29/2014Excellent excellent excellent !!i love this restaurant. My fourth visit and we are already planning our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice!LorrDined on 6/28/2014The food was great- all three of us had delicious meals. The homemade ricotta was delish and went well with the tasty bread. The meatball appetizer was fantastic! The BYOB policy works out great - it keeps the bill down. The waitress was friendly and the owner actually stopped by and chatted with us. I would definitely come here again. The only negative was that it was too light - and you looked out the window at the parking lot. I would put blinds or shades or drapes on the windows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place to eatjustmeVIPDined on 6/26/2014As expected here food was amazing. Service was as amazing but with such a comfortable laid back vibe. Highly recommend going here for a great dining experience.Special Features:
- roro0419Dined on 6/24/2014We had an great meal in this tiny gem of a restaurant!!! The food was excellent. Will tell all my friends. Looking forward to returning again and again.Special Features:
- Best everOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014My husband said it was the best meal he ever had. Scallops with greek yogurt & pistachio, goat cheese ravioli, brasata & polenta, vanilla gelato with espresso and biscotti crumbles. His eyes almost fell out of his head when he saw the bill of $95 for the two of us. I think he took $300 out of the atm ( way under what he thought the total would be…nice surprise!) I hesitate to write this review because I don't want to encourage a crowd, but it was spectacular.Special Features:
- alwayseatingDined on 6/14/2014great flavors lots of choices would certainly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW WOW WOWBearDined on 6/14/2014My beautiful Wifey & I went out on a long overdue date night finally & my gorgeous wifey chose for us to go to Trattoria from a bunch of top rated restaurants I'd printed out for her to select from. Well from our magnificently friendly waitress greeting us & welcoming us into your fabulous restaurant right down to her helpful patient way as we pelted her with question after question regarding available choices on the menu, we felt so comfortable...and then the magic began! With each taste of delectable food both our reactions basically shouted "AMAZING!!!" Our taste buds literally were dancing with delight with each & every mouthful of each and every bit of food we both had ordered!!! Trattoria has now become an immediate favorite for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Supper with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/11/2014The food was excellent with grat service. The room is small and if there are noisy tables it can make it difficult to hear conversations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite restaurant!MrsVDined on 6/6/2014We head to The Trattoria for all of our special occasions. Their food is the best Italian this side of the Atlantic! Knowledgable wait staff, courteous service...the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newmz63Dined on 6/4/2014Yet again....an outstanding experience. Food was AMAZING! Cannot wait to go again.Special Features:
- Outstanding valueJimmyd1953Dined on 5/30/2014We've been here several times. Each time the food and service have been outstanding. The baked clams were moist and flavorful, and the Bronzino, perfectly prepared. In the past, we've had the ribs, which fall apart in your mouth, and numerous other entrees, all delicious. This little gem is surrounded by large but mediocre restaurants in the neighboring communities, and puts them all to shame. I highly recommend Trattoria.Special Features:
- neighborhood Italian gembellbiv13VIPDined on 5/23/2014This is a tiny 10 table Italian trattoria with seasonal changes to the menu that never leaves you wanting more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rustic Italian at its bestOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/22/2014The food at this place is fabulous. Nothing fancy, but everything is perfectly prepared! The restaurant is a hole in the wall, you bring your own wine, and you can only pay with cash. And the service is indifferent. But the food. Wow!Special Features:
- Excellent as always.BradjeremyDined on 5/21/2014Great food. Great service. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Secret hideawayLuvstoeatDined on 5/21/2014The Trattoria never fails to provide great food. The ever-changing menu is always a great success. The Pappardelle with Bolognese Sauce is always delicious. This past visit we tried Black Pasta with Calamari which provided just enough spice on the tongue, but left no "after burn". Just the right amount of heat. The Pork loin with creamy mashed potatoes had the most flavorful sauce. Bring your own wine and be ready to be amazed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!GaryTDined on 5/20/2014This was our 4th time at The Trattoria (formerly Kitchen a Trattoria). We have never been disappointed! The Black Pasta with Calamari in a Spicy Tomato Sauce and Cortecce with Lamb Ragu were excellent. The main courses were just as wonderful ( Pork loin and Brasato). If there was any slight downgrade, it was the bread pudding. It was slighly bland and doughy, but that is being picky. The cheesecake was very good. Will definitely return for a 5th (6th, 7th ....) time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in St. JamesTrattoriaDined on 5/20/2014We took a relatively new couple we know to this restaurant last week. They had never been there. We all had something different and we all enjoyed our meals. They were very impressed. We will definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Always goodHateCilantroVIPDined on 5/16/2014The food is great. They have a nice selection and you can bring your own bottle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful foodjulieVIPDined on 5/11/2014byob no cover, fabulous food with a diverse menu.....can't go wrong here!Special Features:
- Welcome!WilliamDined on 5/3/2014I'm so glad St. James has a new restaurant energy! Great food, bring your own wine and great service. What else can you ask for? The place is very small so reserverations are highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Simply outstanding.BradjeremyDined on 5/2/2014The gnocchi was light, tender melt in your mouth goodness with chicken meatballs, a crispy green and a mushroom sauce. The black pasta with squid in a spicy tomato sauce was spot on. The squid tender, fresh pasta and excellent sauce with just the right amount of kick. The asparagus risotto was as delicious as ever. The eggplant parmigiana is super thin tender eggplant layered with sauce and parmesan cheese served piping hot. The cheesecake is a round presentation of very soft, delectable cheesecake type with a hint of lemon topped with raspberry compote. Not your typical cheesecake in a very good way. The vanilla and chocolate creme brûlée is right on point. Great attention to detail. A true pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reviews were rightNYCtransplantDined on 5/1/2014All the outstanding reviews The Trattoria received were well deserved. The food and service were outstanding. I thought the small space or sparse interior might take away from the experience but it did not. Everyone raves about the food (rightly so) but the service impressed me as well. I came in for a 8:30 reservation, and by the end of the meal there was only one other table occupied. The staff never rushed us or gave us the impression we were being pushed out the door so they could close. They didn't hover, or ignore us either. The food came to our table right from the kitchen area (a few feet away) too hot to eat - how often does that happen in a restaurant? I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/1/2014We went for restaurant week, but they served their regular menu, not one just for restaurant week, which was a nice surprise. The review I had read gave the food a great review, but noted that the restaurant itself was not in a great location (a shopping mall), which it is. Once you go inside, however, you will get a great meal. Everyone in my party ordered something different - including meatballs braised in tomato sauce on polenta, brasato, skate, panna cotta with blackberry compote and flourless chocolate almond cake - and each person raved about what they got. The place is small, don't think it holds more than 30 people, so be sure to make a reservation and BYOB!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 105 reviews are from the The Trattoria reviews archive.
- Wonderful!coopsDined on 4/30/2014My boyfriend and I had a delicious dinner. The meatball/polenta appetizer was very tasty. I enjoyed the pork roast, and the brasato was outstanding! We are still talking about it days later. We will definitely return and we recommend The Trattoria highly. Don't miss the homemade ricotta!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.