532 North Country Rd
Saint James, NY 11780Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thetrattoriarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6315843518x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday- Friday Noon- 2pm
Dinner: Tuesday-Thursday 5:00- 9:00pm
Friday: 6:00- 9:00pm
Saturday 5:30- 9:30pm
Sunday: 4:00- 8:00pm
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Steve Gallagher
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout
- Catering: At The Trattoria we offer private parties on premise for up to 32 people. We have several packages to best accommodate your needs. We also implement off-premise catering.
A word from The Trattoria
At The Trattoria we share our version of Italian American Cuisine. We strive to source the finest and freshest ingredients available on the American market, and prepare them with Italian sensibility. The food is rustic and soul satisfying. We continue to offer the same relaxed atmosphere, and come as you are, drink what you want hospitality that we bring you with The Trattoria.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Trattoria - Best Restaurants in St. James ›
The Trattoria reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (75)neighborhood gem (64)special occasion (27)good for groups (8)romantic (7)great for lunch (7)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Service was excellent, ambiance is lacking, noise level was excessive. Food was very good but not so good that I would be inclined to say it was the best I ever eat. Serve the water a little colder. Overall: excellent food and service, need new venue.Special Features:
- Another wonderful meal!lacaciDined on 10/12/2014Trattoria never disappoints! Outstanding Fall menu. Can't wait to go back and try more things!Special Features:
- Must visit!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014I was trying to find something more quaint and delightful for my girlfriend's birthday and this was great. The food was so delicious and amazing. Being that my girlfriend is in the food industry as a chef herself. This was an absolute delite. I would absolutely refer someone to this restaurant.... Just with the heads up to bring their own beverage because they do not serve wine or beer but the food and service definitely made up for it. We will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tony Italianbellbiv13VIPDined on 10/4/2014This small 10 table Italian trattoria is a neighborhood gem that never disappoints. Excellent food at a reasonable price and BYOB to boot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!HelenDined on 10/3/2014Love everything about it! From the food to the atmosphere to the impeccable service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delightful taste sensationsamore3mmlgsDined on 10/1/2014For your bread is a must- get all three, you won't be sorry. Baked clams, bread, salads, pasta awesome. Not particularly fond of the arctic char or the perch. Beef (short ribs) delicious, eggplant and pork very good. Desserts, affogato, creme brûlée and maple walnut cheese cake delicious as well. Not fond of flour less cake. Will be going back! ps service is great!Special Features:
- Best BYOBOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/30/2014Have dined there several times, does not disappoint!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The Trattoria will never disappoint! The food is so delicious. Bring your favorite wine you ate in for a special treat. Your taste buds will be yearning to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Boring place.LinnyDined on 9/26/2014Have eaten here a few times. Ambience has improved but this restaurant still has no personality. It's just dull. The food was good, very unique and creative but the rest of the experience was just plain boring. Servers were decent but also dull.Special Features:
- Consistantly excellent food!BGFoodieDined on 9/20/2014Eat here regularly. The owner /chef Steve is talented and enjoys sharing his delicious food with his guests.Special Features:
- LinbergBergerDined on 9/17/2014Never disappointed!!! Cudos to everyone once again for a wonderful night - great food - great service. GRAZIE!Special Features:
- Excellent!!BradjeremyDined on 9/16/2014This restaurant consistently delivers. Chef Steve puts out tasty plates. Parpedelle bolognese, spheghetti all' amatriciano are consistent winners. Creme brûlée, almond cake, gelato with biscotti are excellent. Most everything is. Bravo!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You come here for the food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014This place is about good food and good service. There's no atmosphere to speak of, but you can tell that everyone is enjoying themselves. The byo saves you a bundle. No credit cards are a pain. You do have to make your reservation well in advance there are only about 30 seats. But, whenever I want to have a good meal and not break the bank, I eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely anniversary dinnerJay2PattyDined on 9/7/2014We have been to this restaurant before and chose to have our anniversary dinner here. We were very happy we did as the food and service were excellent. We also like taking our own wine. The waitress supplies the glasses and a corkscrew, if you need one. We definitely will return again.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014The prix fixe was a great deal, the gnocchi was light and delicious, the boscato was rich and tender. The pork loin was a little overcooked, but the sauce largely made up for it. Cheesecake was a winner for dessert, and the fresh lemony ricotta with the bread was surprising and fantastic.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Fantastic as always!! This is our 'go to' place for any special occasion or just when we want to be sure we're going to have a fabulous meal. Love to bring friends here too! We have NEVER been dissappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/30/2014Fantastic rustic Italian food. Price fix makes the restaurant very affordable.Special Features:
- Love.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014I love, love, LOVE this restaurant. We've been here numerous times & have thoroughly enjoyed each time. Can't wait to keep going back!Special Features:
- A Real GemTheatergoerDined on 8/27/2014The Trattoria is a real gem tucked away in the rear of an unprepossessing single story structure on North Country Road in St. James, Long Island. The Trattoria's cuisine is innovative, featuring some new twists on Italian favorites including several excellent fish dishes (for the entree, I ordered the artic char, which was excellent). The Trattoria offers outstanding value - the $35 three-course prix fixe is quite a steal! At The Trattoria, which is cash only and BYOB, the emphasis is strictly on preparing and serving outstanding cuisine. Unlike so many suburban fine dining establishments, at The Trattoria you aren't paying for fancy decor or for buzz - just for a fine meal!Special Features:
- Great FoodGGDinerVIPDined on 8/27/2014Trattoria is consistently excellent--it's quality that is not destroyed by unnecessary embellishments or huge amounts of butter!Special Features:
- Excellent always!JMR1219Dined on 8/23/2014This place, even under new owernship, is fantastic! For the value you cannot beat it on Long Island. Food is always excellent, atmosphere is casual and friendly. I have never had anything bad here. Everything is wonderful!Special Features:
- Outstanding dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Trattoria offers outstanding food in a very relaxed atmosphere at a very reasonable price, especially for those who enjoy bringing their own wine.Special Features:
- Best foodouttolunchDined on 8/21/2014It's all about the food. Never had something I didn't like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice local spot.MIXITDOCDined on 8/20/2014Interesting compilation of ingredients that are served in a small and some what crowded surrounding. Menu was explained but difficult to hear the servers presentation due to background noise. Price fix is a nice way to go compared to the Chefs Special. Special was all the same for the 4 people even though various requests were made. This should have been more diverse. Plates were rather small but tasty. Note: Be selective and choose different entrees. Price fix or individual courses are the best way to go along with BYOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flowergirlDined on 8/17/2014A great experience. Warm fig/arugula salad, brasato w/creamy polenta and strawberry almond dessert w/gelato all wonderful. The mistake we made was ordering an extra pasta course to share - we were too full!! Only criticism was the pasta - buccatini carbonara was very creamy but too salty and would have preferred without parmesan on top.Special Features:
- Best Place in TownTownieDined on 8/8/2014I absolutely love coming here! The menu is seasonal and the food is always out of this world. I've never been to a place comparable, except maybe a restaurant in Italy. It's THAT good!Special Features:
- Great things come in small packagesOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/7/2014The Trattoria may be cozy, but the fare here is anything but small! The chef's creations are authentic and the variations make for a true dining experience, especially if you share amongst family and friends. The service was just right, knowledgeable and accessible ... but not over-bearing. Be mindful to BYOB and have cash on hand. But once again, this only further distinguishes The Trattoria as not your ordinary Italian restaurant!Special Features:
- Trattoria Shines!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/7/2014Not our first visit to this hidden gem in St James. Very hard to pick from among the fantastic menu options (might be worth the chef's sampler...maybe next time!)...took the gazpacho, beet salad, Chicken Milanese, and Papperdelle Bolognese...all were prepared to perfection! Seasonal Sorbet (black cherry) was just right. It is BYOB, but not a problem as the wine glasses and corkscrew appeared as soon as we sat. Overall, a highly recommended spot for a terrific meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great food experiencestammDined on 8/7/2014The Trattoria has been consistent, serving excellent food. I always enjoy my visits and look forward to my next meal. It has become my favorite resturante on Long Island.Special Features:
- Hidden GemFoudiniDined on 8/6/2014Delicious and can not wait to come back again and again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd VisitRichmondVisitorDined on 8/2/2014Our second visit to Trattoria..... again... a great meal . Small place and very simple. Can get noisy if you have some other diners who are as obnoxious as our neighbors on this visit. The food is always very good to great. Everyone loved their diners. The two servers were great. Helpful friendly and informal. This place is a GEM!!. This visit... Meatball over polenta appetizer, Paperdelle Bolognase small plate, Chilled Corn soup... Diners.- Pork Braciole, Lasagne and Eggplant Parm. All great the Pastas can be superb and the Eggplant Parm was unreal. Worth the trip always. BYOB and Cash onlySpecial Features:
- amazing, as usual!DDDinahVIPDined on 8/1/2014I can only say that the food and the consistency of serving such amazing food at the Trattoria delights me and is why we continue to return. The pork braciole was unbelievably tender and delicious. I generally order fish and my meal this last time, including the pork belly with plums over faro was “amazing”.Special Features:
- Always the absolutely the bestAramVIPDined on 7/30/2014It's always a pleasure to eat at The Trattoria. The five course chef tasting menu was an absolutely great line of great dishes that left us with very few words in between. The staff is always extremely attentive and knowledgeable. The small area, and being able to see the staff work makes it very homely and special.Special Features:
- Terry from NesconsetNesconsetFoodyDined on 7/23/2014As always,dinner was perfect ! Food is always outstanding.This was the 1st time I ordered a pasta dish. If I have one view to offer to the chef..as much as I love food,not everyone likes grated cheese. I think the guest should be asked or the cheese should be served table side.You can have a great pasta,that doesn't need to be avalanche d by grated cheese. Still love the chef,but I will ask him to hold the cheese the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- St. James Gem!MariaStJamesDined on 7/17/2014A recent NY Times rave review mentioned ownership change. So for a special dinner with friends this week, I suggested The Trattoria. We had the best time! A comfortable round table for 5, BYOB and a delicious menu. I tried the Paccheri with Suckling Pig Ragù for appetizer and the Red Wine Brasato with Creamy Polenta entree. Both fork tender and delicious. Other hits at our table were the Roasted Fig Salad, Lasagna and Pork Brasciole. My friends who had the gelato dessert compared it favorably to what they had in Italy. I loved every bit of of the Black & White Creme Brulee. Menu changes often. Service was good and not rushed. A wonderful little gem of a restaurant where they care about the food and the customers.Special Features:
- Lovely birthday dinnerKnitstamaticVIPDined on 7/1/2014My husband and I celebrated my birthday at The Trattoria. We chose to do the chef's tasting menu. All I can say is outstanding!! Thank you for making the day special. We will absolutely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusanCDined on 6/29/2014Excellent excellent excellent !!i love this restaurant. My fourth visit and we are already planning our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice!LorrDined on 6/28/2014The food was great- all three of us had delicious meals. The homemade ricotta was delish and went well with the tasty bread. The meatball appetizer was fantastic! The BYOB policy works out great - it keeps the bill down. The waitress was friendly and the owner actually stopped by and chatted with us. I would definitely come here again. The only negative was that it was too light - and you looked out the window at the parking lot. I would put blinds or shades or drapes on the windows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place to eatjustmeVIPDined on 6/26/2014As expected here food was amazing. Service was as amazing but with such a comfortable laid back vibe. Highly recommend going here for a great dining experience.Special Features:
- roro0419Dined on 6/24/2014We had an great meal in this tiny gem of a restaurant!!! The food was excellent. Will tell all my friends. Looking forward to returning again and again.Special Features:
- The following 124 reviews are from the The Trattoria reviews archive.