532 North Country Rd
Saint James, NY 11780Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thetrattoriarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (631) 584-3518
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday- Friday Noon- 2pm
Dinner: Tuesday-Thursday 5:00- 9:00pm
Friday: 6:00- 9:00pm
Saturday 5:30- 9:30pm
Sunday: 4:00- 8:00pm
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Steve Gallagher
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout
- Catering: At The Trattoria we offer private parties on premise for up to 32 people. We have several packages to best accommodate your needs. We also implement off-premise catering.
A word from The Trattoria
At The Trattoria we share our version of Italian American Cuisine. We strive to source the finest and freshest ingredients available on the American market, and prepare them with Italian sensibility. The food is rustic and soul satisfying. We continue to offer the same relaxed atmosphere, and come as you are, drink what you want hospitality that we bring you with The Trattoria.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Trattoria - Best Restaurants in St. James ›
The Trattoria reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (75)neighborhood gem (63)special occasion (23)good for groups (9)romantic (8)hot spot (5)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Foodie heavenSuzieQDined on 11/18/2014We have never been disappointed with the food here. Delicious! New food choices using current in fashion food. Always piping hot served to the table with friendly, competent servers. Love bringing my own wine to enjoy with the food. The place is small- only about 30 seats and sometimes it is difficult to get a reservation. Tables are very close together and noise level can get loud. It a real "find" in the neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GGDinerVIPDined on 11/18/2014Great food, attentive staff make for an excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little Engine That CouldBobyank7VIPDined on 11/14/2014Wow. Great innovative dishes. The restaurant is the size of a closet. Maybe 10-12 tables open kitchen so you can see what's going on. Bring your own bottle because they have none. Reasonable prices for great food. Cash only. Fantastic find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always terrificDebbieVIPDined on 11/7/2014We have been here many times and always had a great experience. The service is terrific and the food even better. It will not disappoint. I love that you can bring your own wine for no additional cost.
- Best Restaurant on LIOutstandingDined on 11/7/2014The food is amazing and BYOB feature is the icing on the cake. Th price is amazing for the quality of food you get! The black and white creme brûlée may have been the best thing I've ever eaten!Special Features:
- BergerBergerDined on 11/7/2014We absolutely love this little restaurant!! The food is spectacular & we are never disappointed. Grazie!Special Features:
- A FUN RESTAURANTgreateatsDined on 11/7/2014This restaurant has a very friendly and comfortable environment. The choices on the menu are unique and extremely well prepared. It's small dining area adds to it's unique character. Bring your own bottle and sit back and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great mealbdgemDined on 11/6/2014The Trattoria never disappoints. While the dining room is small and tables crowded together, you don't even notice when your meal arrives. The food is delicious and very creative. Everyone in my party of 6 was thrilled with their choices. BYOB is a bonus. I highly recommend The Trattoria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food3Dined on 11/5/2014Friends and I loved it in the Summer, so went back. It is just as good in the Fall. The food is absolutely fantastic and the service great. We plan to return in the Winter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorites!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014I have been to this restaurant many times. It never disappoints. Food is fresh with an artistic presentation. I like bringing my own beverages so you pay only for the food. The ambiance grows on you--- not Lutece or the like, but a nice neighborhood feel to it. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FRESH AND DELICIOUSSuze36Dined on 10/31/2014Everything here is delicious starting with the bread on the table which we had with olives. We shared the baked littleneck clams -6 to an order. My husband had the black pasta with calamari which was just spicy enough to his liking. I had the chicken Saltimboca which was tasty and amazingly moist with a crispy skin. I wish I had room for dessert but I will make room next visit. The food showcases fresh and in season vegetables and is consistently good each time we go.Special Features:
- A MUST GO GREAT FRESH FOODBklynfoodieDined on 10/24/2014Upon arrival my wife and I were a little skeptical because if the small dining area and thought dinner would be rushed but we were wrong It was comfortable and the staff was very accommodating. Okay so now the food was fresh tasty and quite enjoyable I recommend this restaurant and reservations should be made well in advance you won't be disappointed we orders for app grilled octopus and mussels in sambuca main bucatini carbonara and chicken with white beans they were both outstanding. Well worth the trip from Brooklyn will definitely return when at the vineyards in the area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always FantasticSandiDined on 10/22/2014We have been eating at The Trattoria for years under various owners, name changes & chef changes. It keeps getting better & never disappoints!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Service was excellent, ambiance is lacking, noise level was excessive. Food was very good but not so good that I would be inclined to say it was the best I ever eat. Serve the water a little colder. Overall: excellent food and service, need new venue.Special Features:
- Another wonderful meal!lacaciVIPDined on 10/12/2014Trattoria never disappoints! Outstanding Fall menu. Can't wait to go back and try more things!Special Features:
- Must visit!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014I was trying to find something more quaint and delightful for my girlfriend's birthday and this was great. The food was so delicious and amazing. Being that my girlfriend is in the food industry as a chef herself. This was an absolute delite. I would absolutely refer someone to this restaurant.... Just with the heads up to bring their own beverage because they do not serve wine or beer but the food and service definitely made up for it. We will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tony Italianbellbiv13VIPDined on 10/4/2014This small 10 table Italian trattoria is a neighborhood gem that never disappoints. Excellent food at a reasonable price and BYOB to boot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!HelenDined on 10/3/2014Love everything about it! From the food to the atmosphere to the impeccable service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delightful taste sensationsamore3mmlgsDined on 10/1/2014For your bread is a must- get all three, you won't be sorry. Baked clams, bread, salads, pasta awesome. Not particularly fond of the arctic char or the perch. Beef (short ribs) delicious, eggplant and pork very good. Desserts, affogato, creme brûlée and maple walnut cheese cake delicious as well. Not fond of flour less cake. Will be going back! ps service is great!Special Features:
- Best BYOBOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/30/2014Have dined there several times, does not disappoint!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The Trattoria will never disappoint! The food is so delicious. Bring your favorite wine you ate in for a special treat. Your taste buds will be yearning to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Boring place.LinnyVIPDined on 9/26/2014Have eaten here a few times. Ambience has improved but this restaurant still has no personality. It's just dull. The food was good, very unique and creative but the rest of the experience was just plain boring. Servers were decent but also dull.Special Features:
- Consistantly excellent food!BGFoodieVIPDined on 9/20/2014Eat here regularly. The owner /chef Steve is talented and enjoys sharing his delicious food with his guests.Special Features:
- LinbergBergerDined on 9/17/2014Never disappointed!!! Cudos to everyone once again for a wonderful night - great food - great service. GRAZIE!Special Features:
- Excellent!!BradjeremyDined on 9/16/2014This restaurant consistently delivers. Chef Steve puts out tasty plates. Parpedelle bolognese, spheghetti all' amatriciano are consistent winners. Creme brûlée, almond cake, gelato with biscotti are excellent. Most everything is. Bravo!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You come here for the food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014This place is about good food and good service. There's no atmosphere to speak of, but you can tell that everyone is enjoying themselves. The byo saves you a bundle. No credit cards are a pain. You do have to make your reservation well in advance there are only about 30 seats. But, whenever I want to have a good meal and not break the bank, I eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely anniversary dinnerJay2PattyDined on 9/7/2014We have been to this restaurant before and chose to have our anniversary dinner here. We were very happy we did as the food and service were excellent. We also like taking our own wine. The waitress supplies the glasses and a corkscrew, if you need one. We definitely will return again.Special Features:
- hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014hidden gem, never disappoints, not super pricey but no credit cards, BYOB saves you a ton, excellent food! Always make a reservation, very small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014The prix fixe was a great deal, the gnocchi was light and delicious, the boscato was rich and tender. The pork loin was a little overcooked, but the sauce largely made up for it. Cheesecake was a winner for dessert, and the fresh lemony ricotta with the bread was surprising and fantastic.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Fantastic as always!! This is our 'go to' place for any special occasion or just when we want to be sure we're going to have a fabulous meal. Love to bring friends here too! We have NEVER been dissappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/30/2014Fantastic rustic Italian food. Price fix makes the restaurant very affordable.Special Features:
- Love.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014I love, love, LOVE this restaurant. We've been here numerous times & have thoroughly enjoyed each time. Can't wait to keep going back!Special Features:
- A Real GemTheatergoerDined on 8/27/2014The Trattoria is a real gem tucked away in the rear of an unprepossessing single story structure on North Country Road in St. James, Long Island. The Trattoria's cuisine is innovative, featuring some new twists on Italian favorites including several excellent fish dishes (for the entree, I ordered the artic char, which was excellent). The Trattoria offers outstanding value - the $35 three-course prix fixe is quite a steal! At The Trattoria, which is cash only and BYOB, the emphasis is strictly on preparing and serving outstanding cuisine. Unlike so many suburban fine dining establishments, at The Trattoria you aren't paying for fancy decor or for buzz - just for a fine meal!Special Features:
- Great FoodGGDinerVIPDined on 8/27/2014Trattoria is consistently excellent--it's quality that is not destroyed by unnecessary embellishments or huge amounts of butter!Special Features:
- Excellent always!JMR1219Dined on 8/23/2014This place, even under new owernship, is fantastic! For the value you cannot beat it on Long Island. Food is always excellent, atmosphere is casual and friendly. I have never had anything bad here. Everything is wonderful!Special Features:
- Outstanding dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Trattoria offers outstanding food in a very relaxed atmosphere at a very reasonable price, especially for those who enjoy bringing their own wine.Special Features:
- Best foodouttolunchDined on 8/21/2014It's all about the food. Never had something I didn't like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice local spot.MIXITDOCVIPDined on 8/20/2014Interesting compilation of ingredients that are served in a small and some what crowded surrounding. Menu was explained but difficult to hear the servers presentation due to background noise. Price fix is a nice way to go compared to the Chefs Special. Special was all the same for the 4 people even though various requests were made. This should have been more diverse. Plates were rather small but tasty. Note: Be selective and choose different entrees. Price fix or individual courses are the best way to go along with BYOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flowergirlDined on 8/17/2014A great experience. Warm fig/arugula salad, brasato w/creamy polenta and strawberry almond dessert w/gelato all wonderful. The mistake we made was ordering an extra pasta course to share - we were too full!! Only criticism was the pasta - buccatini carbonara was very creamy but too salty and would have preferred without parmesan on top.Special Features:
- Best Place in TownTownieDined on 8/8/2014I absolutely love coming here! The menu is seasonal and the food is always out of this world. I've never been to a place comparable, except maybe a restaurant in Italy. It's THAT good!Special Features: