The Top Steak House
2891 E. Main Street
Columbus, OH 43209Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
The Top Steak House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thetopsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (614) 231-8238
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Denver Adkins
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music Every Night. Dave Powers: Monday, Pete Skradey: Tuesday, Sonia Modes: Wednesday, LG
Jerry Wolfe: Friday, Sonia Modes: Saturday, Pete Skradey: Sunday
A word from The Top Steak House
For over 50 years, our guests have come to enjoy and expect the hospitality at The Top. Still locally and independently owned, The Top is able to focus on service and quality as opposed to the “bottom line” focus of many modern steak houses.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Top Steak House reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (96)romantic (80)neighborhood gem (75)notable wine list (32)fit for foodies (31)vibrant bar scene (31)good for groups (14)late-night find (12)hot spot (12)great for outdoor dining (5)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Excellent, per usual!2manydogsDined on 11/22/2014We are regulars at The Top. The food was excellent, and the service was top notch. We recommend The Top often, and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- this place was horrible i will never go backDisrespectfulDined on 11/21/20141st off I reserve a table at 8:15pm and when I got there I was seated at the bar because my table was not ready. So I spoke with the guy that was seating people and told him to come get me from the bar as soon as the table was ready, he said he knows exactly where I was sitting. Then 30 mins went pass then I spoke with one aggressive,angry,disrespectful lady which I believe that she was the manger. I was just out trying to enjoy my 5th anniversary with my wife.... The service was horrible and I will not return to the restaurant ever again because the whole purpose for reserving a table is so that you don't have to stand and wait.... I hope that the owners don't promote disrespect towards customers thats spend their hard earned cash at their establishment...
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014Food was very good and the atmosphere is that classic sixties steakhouse. It was very crowded on Saturday night and we felt a little rushed as the bus boy was picking up plates in a rapid manner. The drink prices are too high ( 11.00 for vodka tonic).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- preciousDined on 11/8/2014We had a very enjoyable evening/meal. We will definately visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't recommend The TopDowntheStreetDined on 11/4/2014Either portions got a lot smaller or the price went up greatly. Probably both! Steak wasn't too bad but lobster tail was overcooked and chewy.
- Great Place for SteaksImpressedDined on 11/3/2014Dinner was wonderful. Great place for anniversaries or birthdays for the more mature crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will be back!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014The steak was AWESOME, greatly exceeding my expectations. I love the atmosphere and the music. Very relaxing and appealing after a long day shopping. It was one of my favorite steaks EVER. What a gem of a place. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- SectionhandDined on 11/1/2014Great food ... Great time ... Great music ... The New York Strip was the best I've had in years and done perfectly !Special Features:
- Nice for a special occasionMiguelDined on 11/1/2014The good: Our group of 6 enjoyed our dinner event at The Top. We were promptly seated and quickly served our drinks. Our appetizers and salads were fresh and nicely done. Everyone enjoyed sharing the 'mac and cheese' suggested by our server. We found the entree's to be very good and the table service outstanding (Kevin was our server). The not so good: The dining room is a bit on the dark side making reading a menu quite difficult. Especially the drink menu. Also I was unaware of the 20% mandatory gratuity for a group of 6. While the service is very deserving of this level of tip, and probably more, I prefer to be given the option to choose my own level of gratuity.Special Features:
- Not worth the $$$$$PersianPrincessDined on 10/27/2014We went to the top for my husbands birthday and were vey disappointed. We love Ruth Chris, Cameron Mitchell, and Eddie merlot and the top was recommended to us. The food was terrible, I could not even cut into my $60 steak. We sat outside and someone started smoking next to this and management did nothing about it. Service was pretty good but it was not worth the $240 we spent.Special Features:
- Can't missRynoDined on 10/25/2014Excellent Food, Service, and atmosphere. I would definitely recommend trying this place out. It doesn't look like much from the outside but it's a real gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School done right!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014My fillet came out perfect, beautiful flavor and the staff goes out of their way to ensure your visit is all that you would expect. Love coming back to this place time and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wait staffpolkatVIPDined on 10/23/2014Emily, our waitress was not concerned with what we wanted and rude! Couldn't Get A Refill On coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tip Top TopfoodjunkieDined on 10/22/2014Food and service were excellent. The temperature was a little low and the noise level a little high. First time we went to the Top was about 1965 and it is still first rate.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The prime rib was awesome!Cjk1970Dined on 10/22/2014A group of us guys met here to get caught up with each other's events. The atmosphere was busy enough to feel like we were in a "happening spot". Service was better than anticipated. The waiter seemed to know just when to come around with little interruption of our conversation. Everyone ordered a different dish, by choice and all was very pleased. From the grilled salmon salad to the prime rib, the food was great! I didn't realize it but this place actually has some history behind adding to the ambiance.Special Features:
- Nostalgic Setting/Great FoodpicktownfoodieDined on 10/19/2014The Top has a quaint nostalgic feel in its decor, but the menu is exceptional with great tasting food start to finish. The service was great and even had a chance to talk to the chef that night who was amazing. The reasonable prices are the icing on the cake especially for a top notch steak house and make The Top a new favorite thay I will be returning to again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The food was excellent , perfectly prepared. This was our first time and we enjoyed the beautiful simplicity of the restaurant. There are enough options to enable creativity by chef without overwhelming the diner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/15/2014our dinner was absolutely delicious, the atmosphere and the service were excellent. Will be back!Special Features:
- tonydDined on 10/11/2014So 1960s for food, options, service. Will not return.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceRollyDined on 10/11/2014Having dinner at the Top is a step back in time. The restaurant reminds the diner of a more classy period when going out for dinner was special. The New York strip that I had was excellent! Although a little expensive, it is well worth it! The restaurant was a little crowded due to the small dining area. The short wait at the bar was a pleasant prelude to an excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- Great Ambiance, Good FoodTonyRVIPDined on 10/11/2014The Top is old school from the moment you walk in and see the live piano player and singer. The service was excellent. The food was good but a little too salty. However the Mac and cheese and the escargot were both amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Gem!flapdineDined on 10/10/2014My husband and I used to celebrate our special occasions at the Clairmont, but since it slid off the map we've not found a replacement. Now, we have!!! We celebrated our Anniversary at The Top on Friday 10/10 and couldn't have been more pleased. Everything was way beyond our expectations~Special Features:
- We love The ToplovethetopDined on 10/5/2014The Top is our go-to restaurant whenever we have a special occasion, or want an intimate dinner. The food is wonderful, and the staff is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakTopsDined on 10/4/2014The Top Steakhouse is considered the best in Columbus and for good reason. Their steaks are amazing. I had the new york strip medium well, it was flavorful without any sauces added to it. Appetizer was huge shrimp cocktail, and the drink was french 75 perfectly made. I went on a Saturday with three friends, it was crowded, a bit loud, but for me that added to the whole rat pack vibe. It is pricey for moderate budgets, but well worth the splurge. It is a Columbus, Ohio landmark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not impressedPaulDined on 10/4/2014The steak was ok....not special in any way. My chair back was touching the back of the chair of man behind me before I sat down, and that is where the host directed me to sit...in that specific chair. I could not move. The restaurant is very, very narrow and my husband's chair leg was bumped no less that 13 times during our meal by waiters and waitress as they passed. Very pricey and not worth it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014The Filet was so tender you could cut it with a butter knife! Still thinking about it 2 days later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak in town!!JackDined on 10/3/2014My husband and I love eating at The Top!! Their steaks are fantastic! Our server was was very friendly and made sure our meals were great!! Best bread and butter! Always a great dining experience!!Special Features:
- SmokyDined on 9/30/2014The Top Steak House is the best in town for romance or business, or in this case, my wife's birthday, which was also The Top's birthday. The strip steak and filet we enjoyed were fabulous in terms of taste, temperature, amount and value. We arrived at 6P on a Tuesday. There were only a few tables occupied. By 7P, the place was packed and the pianist worked magic on the keys. The Top is our special place.Special Features:
- Always excellentJiggsDined on 9/28/2014As has always been the case over the past forty years or so, the Top outdid itself in terms of food, service and atmosphere. Our server, Theresa, made it even more special with her timely visits to our table without being obtrusive. Drinks were delicious, food was excellent and our overall evening which marked our 48th anniversary was quite special for both of us.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Ambiance was wonderful. Food (bread, steaks, potatoes) all too salty.Special Features:
- The Top is The BestbbettacDined on 9/26/2014Always an excellent experience. Superior food, Outstanding customer service and Great ambiance. A local restaurant that has it's own identity. Fight the chains! While they are good, it is the same thing over and over again. Each restaurant needs it's own appeal.Special Features:
- 60s style dinner clubSlooper1Dined on 9/21/2014Feels like a place Don Draper would take his daughter for her 16th birthday. Great steaks, simple menu, good wine list. There's a piano bar and half of the place is so dark you can barely read the menu. Loyal local crowd at the bar.Special Features:
- AnniversaryRCSCDined on 9/20/2014This was our first visit to the Top Steak House and we will be back. Food was great and the service was outstanding in every way!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014The food was good .the wine was over priced but nice. Their could be more lighting when you walk in the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing with a capital A!DragracingdivaDined on 9/13/2014I cannot say enough about this fabulous find. We were referred here by a friend to celebrate out 15th Wedding Anniversary. It was awesome, the food was amazing and worth every penny! Steak was cooked to perfection!Special Features:
- hatsofftoyouDined on 9/13/2014I brought a guest who was having a birthday and had never been to The Top. She as well as myself enjoyed the experience very much. Best Tom Collins ever and we both had the peite filet and shrimp, which was cooked to perfection. Also, the asparagus was the best I had ever eaten in a restaurant anywhere. Our waiter was so attentive and helpful with our questions. He was well versed in the product he serves and is an exceptional asset to The Top, in my opinion. Hope to get him the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014the couple I was dining with had not been there for many years. They said it was a good as they rembered. They want to come back the next time they are back in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing findcarrel08Dined on 9/10/2014Food was incredible .. People friendly.. Piano bar singer was too notch.. Just a wonderful place to go..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old SchoolOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014This is a great old school dining experance. The service was great and food was amazing.Special Features:
- back in time....and loved it.wlfmn5360Dined on 9/9/2014Its be ed n years since I was very here..so many restaurants have come and gone but The Top remains. Its like swalking into the early sixties. Piano playing, siner sing old " Crooner" tunes... Dark, but it fits this place well. Service is very good... Menu is from the sixties ...Steaks, chops, etc.. nothing too eclectic.. just great for the carnivore in all of us. we started with a real wedge..no ranch, or god forbid, thousand island dressing....bleu cheese My Ribeye was very flavorful and cooked perfectly. (A couple large onion rings sat on top of my steak, which I loved...) The baker was perfectly cooked And our server put as many dollops of butter or sour cream as I wanted. Garlic roasted green beans as a side...wonderful.. Eat here!Special Features: