The Top Steak House
2891 E. Main Street
Columbus, OH 43209Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
The Top Steak House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thetopsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 6142318238
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Denver Adkins
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music Every Night. Dave Powers: Monday, Pete Skradey: Tuesday, Sonia Modes: Wednesday, LG
Jerry Wolfe: Friday, Sonia Modes: Saturday, Pete Skradey: Sunday
A word from The Top Steak House
For over 50 years, our guests have come to enjoy and expect the hospitality at The Top. Still locally and independently owned, The Top is able to focus on service and quality as opposed to the “bottom line” focus of many modern steak houses.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Top Steak House reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (112)neighborhood gem (84)romantic (80)notable wine list (38)vibrant bar scene (35)fit for foodies (34)good for groups (15)hot spot (15)late-night find (12)great for outdoor dining (6)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Perfect in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The food was excellent , perfectly prepared. This was our first time and we enjoyed the beautiful simplicity of the restaurant. There are enough options to enable creativity by chef without overwhelming the diner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/15/2014our dinner was absolutely delicious, the atmosphere and the service were excellent. Will be back!Special Features:
- tonydDined on 10/11/2014So 1960s for food, options, service. Will not return.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceRollyDined on 10/11/2014Having dinner at the Top is a step back in time. The restaurant reminds the diner of a more classy period when going out for dinner was special. The New York strip that I had was excellent! Although a little expensive, it is well worth it! The restaurant was a little crowded due to the small dining area. The short wait at the bar was a pleasant prelude to an excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- Great Ambiance, Good FoodTonyRDined on 10/11/2014The Top is old school from the moment you walk in and see the live piano player and singer. The service was excellent. The food was good but a little too salty. However the Mac and cheese and the escargot were both amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Gem!flapdineDined on 10/10/2014My husband and I used to celebrate our special occasions at the Clairmont, but since it slid off the map we've not found a replacement. Now, we have!!! We celebrated our Anniversary at The Top on Friday 10/10 and couldn't have been more pleased. Everything was way beyond our expectations~Special Features:
- We love The ToplovethetopDined on 10/5/2014The Top is our go-to restaurant whenever we have a special occasion, or want an intimate dinner. The food is wonderful, and the staff is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakTopsDined on 10/4/2014The Top Steakhouse is considered the best in Columbus and for good reason. Their steaks are amazing. I had the new york strip medium well, it was flavorful without any sauces added to it. Appetizer was huge shrimp cocktail, and the drink was french 75 perfectly made. I went on a Saturday with three friends, it was crowded, a bit loud, but for me that added to the whole rat pack vibe. It is pricey for moderate budgets, but well worth the splurge. It is a Columbus, Ohio landmark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not impressedPaulDined on 10/4/2014The steak was ok....not special in any way. My chair back was touching the back of the chair of man behind me before I sat down, and that is where the host directed me to sit...in that specific chair. I could not move. The restaurant is very, very narrow and my husband's chair leg was bumped no less that 13 times during our meal by waiters and waitress as they passed. Very pricey and not worth it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014The Filet was so tender you could cut it with a butter knife! Still thinking about it 2 days later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak in town!!JackDined on 10/3/2014My husband and I love eating at The Top!! Their steaks are fantastic! Our server was was very friendly and made sure our meals were great!! Best bread and butter! Always a great dining experience!!Special Features:
- SmokyDined on 9/30/2014The Top Steak House is the best in town for romance or business, or in this case, my wife's birthday, which was also The Top's birthday. The strip steak and filet we enjoyed were fabulous in terms of taste, temperature, amount and value. We arrived at 6P on a Tuesday. There were only a few tables occupied. By 7P, the place was packed and the pianist worked magic on the keys. The Top is our special place.Special Features:
- Always excellentJiggsDined on 9/28/2014As has always been the case over the past forty years or so, the Top outdid itself in terms of food, service and atmosphere. Our server, Theresa, made it even more special with her timely visits to our table without being obtrusive. Drinks were delicious, food was excellent and our overall evening which marked our 48th anniversary was quite special for both of us.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Ambiance was wonderful. Food (bread, steaks, potatoes) all too salty.Special Features:
- The Top is The BestbbettacDined on 9/26/2014Always an excellent experience. Superior food, Outstanding customer service and Great ambiance. A local restaurant that has it's own identity. Fight the chains! While they are good, it is the same thing over and over again. Each restaurant needs it's own appeal.Special Features:
- 60s style dinner clubSlooper1Dined on 9/21/2014Feels like a place Don Draper would take his daughter for her 16th birthday. Great steaks, simple menu, good wine list. There's a piano bar and half of the place is so dark you can barely read the menu. Loyal local crowd at the bar.Special Features:
- AnniversaryRCSCDined on 9/20/2014This was our first visit to the Top Steak House and we will be back. Food was great and the service was outstanding in every way!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014The food was good .the wine was over priced but nice. Their could be more lighting when you walk in the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing with a capital A!DragracingdivaDined on 9/13/2014I cannot say enough about this fabulous find. We were referred here by a friend to celebrate out 15th Wedding Anniversary. It was awesome, the food was amazing and worth every penny! Steak was cooked to perfection!Special Features:
- hatsofftoyouDined on 9/13/2014I brought a guest who was having a birthday and had never been to The Top. She as well as myself enjoyed the experience very much. Best Tom Collins ever and we both had the peite filet and shrimp, which was cooked to perfection. Also, the asparagus was the best I had ever eaten in a restaurant anywhere. Our waiter was so attentive and helpful with our questions. He was well versed in the product he serves and is an exceptional asset to The Top, in my opinion. Hope to get him the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014the couple I was dining with had not been there for many years. They said it was a good as they rembered. They want to come back the next time they are back in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing findcarrel08Dined on 9/10/2014Food was incredible .. People friendly.. Piano bar singer was too notch.. Just a wonderful place to go..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old SchoolOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014This is a great old school dining experance. The service was great and food was amazing.Special Features:
- back in time....and loved it.wlfmn5360Dined on 9/9/2014Its be ed n years since I was very here..so many restaurants have come and gone but The Top remains. Its like swalking into the early sixties. Piano playing, siner sing old " Crooner" tunes... Dark, but it fits this place well. Service is very good... Menu is from the sixties ...Steaks, chops, etc.. nothing too eclectic.. just great for the carnivore in all of us. we started with a real wedge..no ranch, or god forbid, thousand island dressing....bleu cheese My Ribeye was very flavorful and cooked perfectly. (A couple large onion rings sat on top of my steak, which I loved...) The baker was perfectly cooked And our server put as many dollops of butter or sour cream as I wanted. Garlic roasted green beans as a side...wonderful.. Eat here!Special Features:
- Nice Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014My wife and I went to celebrate my Birthday. It was our first time and we really enjoyed the dinner experience, food, and music. We were seated right away. I had one of the best ribeye steaks ever. It was cooked to my specifications and so good and tender, I didn't need 'toppings' or steak sauce! We will return again sometime soon.Special Features:
- Fantastic!LisaDined on 9/7/2014A very enjoyable dinner for the both of us! We did not have any cocktails this evening, but truely a great dining experience. Romantic, intimate, great sevice, paced nicely and above all prime rib fantastic. Certainly one of my favorite Columbus, family owned restaurants from many years ago to today. They know how to provide a great dining experience, which so many have forgotten or the patron has forgot what dining means. Thank you VTop for another wonderful meal out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best steak i ever ate!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014My wife and I recently went to the Top Steak House for our 41st wedding anniversary. I thought the experience was very good, but by far the best part was the food. The porterhouse was the best steak I've ever had, hands down!Special Features:
- DisappointingJerryVIPDined on 9/5/2014This was not the experience we were expecting. Our food was good, but not outstanding and my medium streak was over-cooked. When the bill arrived, the total was different than the sum of the itemized selections. When asked about this, a manager told me they do not put incidental charges ( in this case, 3 upgraded drink charges for a total of $3). Manager was not interested that I thought this was not proper accounting and said she tok care of it and walked away. We will not go back as there are better steak places in Columbus.
- OutstandingLovegoodfoodDined on 9/3/2014Absolutely outstanding food and service! I brought my boyfriend to the restaurant for his birthday dinner and he was apprehensive because he had never been there! After having dinner he stated it was the best restaurant he had ever been to!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingXwordzVIPDined on 9/3/2014We went to the Top on the first Wednesday of September specifically because of its Wednesday Original (as advertised on Dine Originals) of Twin Lobster Tails for $24.95. The waitress never mentioned the special, and when we asked about it she looked at us as if we had 2 heads. Two of the 4 of us wanted the lobster and had to settle for something else. Major bait and switch issue. To be fair, the entrees that we ordered were, as always, very good and we like the Top; but to advertise a special and then act as if they never heard of it is reprehensible.
- TopMolerDined on 9/2/2014The bread was very salty. Same as our last visit. Our waiter got us bread without salt. My wife and I had baked chicken which was not on menu.the chicken was very good. We hope the Top puts it on the menu. Our waiter was very good.Special Features:
- DinnerMeloDined on 8/29/2014The food was delicious, but not a good value. For an appetizer, we ordered the deviled eggs with caviar and got only 5 halves (2 1/2 eggs) and less than 1 T. caviar for $14. We spent over $150 for two people. If we had gotten value for our money, that would have been OK, but we felt ripped off. We will not return.Special Features:
- FabuloustexasmomDined on 8/28/2014This may have been the best steak ever -- perfectly prepared and tender beyond tender. Our server was personable and efficient -- very knowledgeable about the menu. Hadn't been there for a few years, but it was just as I remembered, maybe a little more polished. Well worth every dollar we spent. Won't wait so long for the next visit!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food always greatWillie1409Dined on 8/23/2014Had to wait almost an hour for our table, but the bar staff and matre de made it worth it. Took care of us during our wait and that's all you can ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Top is still #1!pg123Dined on 8/22/2014This steakhouse has stood the test of time! I have been dining there for over 25 years and the experience is always first rate! Only Hyde Park comes close.Special Features:
- Still a great restaurantKerbear534Dined on 8/20/2014My boyfriend and I went here on a Wednesday evening to celebrate his birthday. Prior to our visit, I read a handful of negative reviews on how the restaurant has gone down hill from where it used to be. The complaints focused on poor/slow service and mediocre tasting food. I have been to The Top several times and have always had a pleasant experience. Our food was delicious as usual. My only complaint would be that, while we were having a pre-dinner drink at the bar, one of the bartenders and servers got into heated argument directly in front of us. It was extremely awkward and unprofessional. They should have taken it elsewhere. Other than that, The Top still lives up to its name in my mind.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014Connie, our server, was excellent. very attentive but not overly so. water glasses were kept full, enjoyed the evening. Food was excellent, arrived warm and very pleasing presentation
- Uncharacteristically disappointingrb60611VIPDined on 8/16/2014Our experience at The Top on Aug 16 was disappointing. Both steaks ordered medium well, both served undercooked (medium to medium rare.) Sent them back and when the plates were returned the sides were cold. No apology at any point whatsoever from the server or manager. I even emailed the restaurant after the fact, and no reply. At $200 for dinner for two, we should have been blown away by both the food quality and the service, and we were not - by either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceNewark64Dined on 8/16/2014Excellent food. Confusion when we arrived. We had a reservation. Apparently the person who greeted us was not the actual greeter and was somewhat confued as to what to do. They did get us seated. When they brought our bread we had to ask for butter. A lady who was not our server took my wifes salad before she was finished with it. She didn't ask, she just took it. Our waiter apologized for this. We love the Top. We were there for our Anniversary, I guess we just expected better service. A restaurant in your price range one expects top level service as well as food. I must say other than forgetting the butter, our waiter did fine. Were not being picky and we'll be back we just expect service a cut above in an establishment such as yours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationUulaDined on 8/12/2014We had a fabulous meal for my boyfriend's birthday. The food was absolutely perfect. I had salmon and my boyfriend had a strip steak...both were cooked to perfection. We both a a dinner salad which was just the right size. Our side dishes of baked potato and broccoli were both wonderful. My boyfriend had the crab cakes for an appetizer and said they were very good. We also tried the mac and cheese side dish and it was melt in you mouth. Our server was very attentive, but not intrusive...it was a great balance and it made us feel very special. It's a bit pricey, but well worth it and a great place for a special occasion.Special Features: