The Top Steak House
2891 E. Main Street
Columbus, OH 43209Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
The Top Steak House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thetopsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 6142318238
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Denver Adkins
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music Every Night. Dave Powers: Monday, Pete Skradey: Tuesday, Sonia Modes: Wednesday, LG
Jerry Wolfe: Friday, Sonia Modes: Saturday, Pete Skradey: Sunday
A word from The Top Steak House
For over 50 years, our guests have come to enjoy and expect the hospitality at The Top. Still locally and independently owned, The Top is able to focus on service and quality as opposed to the “bottom line” focus of many modern steak houses.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Top Steak House reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (103)neighborhood gem (71)romantic (68)notable wine list (33)fit for foodies (29)vibrant bar scene (29)late-night find (13)hot spot (11)good for groups (10)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- DinnerMeloDined on 8/29/2014The food was delicious, but not a good value. For an appetizer, we ordered the deviled eggs with caviar and got only 5 halves (2 1/2 eggs) and less than 1 T. caviar for $14. We spent over $150 for two people. If we had gotten value for our money, that would have been OK, but we felt ripped off. We will not return.Special Features:
- Food always greatWillie1409Dined on 8/23/2014Had to wait almost an hour for our table, but the bar staff and matre de made it worth it. Took care of us during our wait and that's all you can ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Top is still #1!pg123Dined on 8/22/2014This steakhouse has stood the test of time! I have been dining there for over 25 years and the experience is always first rate! Only Hyde Park comes close.Special Features:
- Still a great restaurantKerbear534Dined on 8/20/2014My boyfriend and I went here on a Wednesday evening to celebrate his birthday. Prior to our visit, I read a handful of negative reviews on how the restaurant has gone down hill from where it used to be. The complaints focused on poor/slow service and mediocre tasting food. I have been to The Top several times and have always had a pleasant experience. Our food was delicious as usual. My only complaint would be that, while we were having a pre-dinner drink at the bar, one of the bartenders and servers got into heated argument directly in front of us. It was extremely awkward and unprofessional. They should have taken it elsewhere. Other than that, The Top still lives up to its name in my mind.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014Connie, our server, was excellent. very attentive but not overly so. water glasses were kept full, enjoyed the evening. Food was excellent, arrived warm and very pleasing presentation
- Uncharacteristically disappointingrb60611VIPDined on 8/16/2014Our experience at The Top on Aug 16 was disappointing. Both steaks ordered medium well, both served undercooked (medium to medium rare.) Sent them back and when the plates were returned the sides were cold. No apology at any point whatsoever from the server or manager. I even emailed the restaurant after the fact, and no reply. At $200 for dinner for two, we should have been blown away by both the food quality and the service, and we were not - by either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceNewark64Dined on 8/16/2014Excellent food. Confusion when we arrived. We had a reservation. Apparently the person who greeted us was not the actual greeter and was somewhat confued as to what to do. They did get us seated. When they brought our bread we had to ask for butter. A lady who was not our server took my wifes salad before she was finished with it. She didn't ask, she just took it. Our waiter apologized for this. We love the Top. We were there for our Anniversary, I guess we just expected better service. A restaurant in your price range one expects top level service as well as food. I must say other than forgetting the butter, our waiter did fine. Were not being picky and we'll be back we just expect service a cut above in an establishment such as yours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationUulaDined on 8/12/2014We had a fabulous meal for my boyfriend's birthday. The food was absolutely perfect. I had salmon and my boyfriend had a strip steak...both were cooked to perfection. We both a a dinner salad which was just the right size. Our side dishes of baked potato and broccoli were both wonderful. My boyfriend had the crab cakes for an appetizer and said they were very good. We also tried the mac and cheese side dish and it was melt in you mouth. Our server was very attentive, but not intrusive...it was a great balance and it made us feel very special. It's a bit pricey, but well worth it and a great place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great, as alwaysJiggsDined on 8/10/2014I feel so repetitive in saying everything was perfect but it was. Food was excellent, drinks were prodigious and tasty, and service was impeccable. What else is there to say? This has been our Columbus favorite for over forty years and through change of ownership as well as a variety of occurrences, the Top remains just as it says: the Top of our list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable & consistentGoEnjoyDined on 8/7/2014It is among Columbus' oldest restaurants & has that old-school feel with dimmed lighting, low ceilings & closely placed tables. Even its terrific patio gets second billing to the interior spaces. The staff are convivial, knowledgable, & add so much to the experience. Finally, anyone who doesn't prefer steak, will be compelled by the sights and sounds to eat steak - I am sure of it. Go & Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- magicmikeDined on 8/6/2014the food was great as indicated and service as well. really enjoyed the music and impromptu singing by who ever sat there Tuesday nite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great placeVinceDined on 8/2/2014Always great service; quality of food is consistently good; patio is very nice. One of Columbus' finest.Special Features:
- FreetDined on 8/1/2014The Top has been a neighborhood fixture for at least 50 years. The dining experience remains consistently good. Little has changed in ose 50 years. You still have to adjust your eyes to the darkness when you walk in. The menu is virtually identical to the original (except for the prices unfortunately). The Top continues to have steak which is as good as anywhere else in town. The specials are usually good as well and for us carnivores, the boned in rib eye that is usually one of the specials is fantastic. I cannot evaluate the desserts because I never have enough room left. The service is always excellent as well.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/31/2014meat was way under cooked. i will return but never order the prime rib again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014I would definitely go again, the green beans were the best ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All in all the meal was great.luvredwineDined on 7/26/2014Excellent food. Great wine selection. The lamb was awesome. The prime rib was a bit of a let down. There seemed to be an exceptional amount of fat on mine, which I realize that prime rib generally does have some on it. Also had some gristle which made it difficult to cut. The taste was very good though. Maybe just a bit of bad luck with that piece.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime ribdinesalotDined on 7/26/20144 of us had reservations for Restaurant Week and decided to order from that menu. We all had the prime rib and am sorry to say it was a little below average. Hearing so much about this restaurant and having it been around since 1955, we were all disappoined. The server was very good and even gave us a dessert that was not on the Restaurant Week menu. Wine, good.Special Features:
- Great Old School VibeCaitDined on 7/25/2014Really enjoyed the atmosphere of this restaurant. Very dim lit, live piano and singing, and "vintage" decor. You really feel like you aren't in Columbus anymore in this place. We went for Restaurant Week and the food and service were great. Party of three each enjoyed a difference dish-prime rib, beef medallions, and BBQ lamb. We each enjoyed our meals thoroughly. Great Friday evening dinner with in a place with a ton of charm. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third Friday GroupFredDined on 7/25/2014The third friday group visited the Top on the fourth Friday due to conflicts. Neighborhood gem - great and I mean great steak! Dining area a little dark. Patio looked inviting, but was close for private party. Service super - Marisa was her name I believe.Special Features:
- top destinationgr8eastTOPspotDined on 7/24/2014the top has long been a favorite dining destination. love the food, the decor and the service. how they do it in such a small space has long been a mystery. the addition of the patio is a real plus. we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite restaurant.RkroegsDined on 7/23/2014The service, the food, and the atmosphere were all simply amazing. I highly recommend giving The Top a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishLauraOhioDined on 7/22/2014My fiancee and I had a great time and a delicious meal! Loved the old school vibe and wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- favfoodDined on 7/21/2014I HAVE NEVER BEEN DISAPPOINTED IN THE TOP. FOOD IS ALWAYS DELICIOUS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstandingslavegirl69247Dined on 7/17/2014Best food I've ever had. Great, dark, romantic atmosphere. The food is pricey, but well worth it. If I could afford it I'd eat at The Top everyday.Special Features:
- Great food; our booth, not so greatDadsDayDined on 7/17/2014The food & service were outstanding. Where we were seated was not. Our booth was right by the door to the kitchen with waiters buzzing by carrying trays that at times almost hit me in the head. As if that wasn't annoying enough, many of the wait staff also grabbed the top corner of the back of the booth to assist in making the tight turn necessary into the adjacent aisle. With each "grab" the back of the booth would be pulled back, annoying both diners seated there.Special Features:
- The Top Steak HousesmolDined on 7/15/2014Arrived early for our reservation and were seated immediately. Staff was attentive and food service was prompt. The steak was outstanding and serving size was generous which makes this my favorite steak house in Columbus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always2manydogsDined on 7/15/2014Our meal at The Top was excellent. The service was impeccable--our server was polite, quick to take care of our needs, and was very knowledgeable about the menu. Our food was also excellent, and was presented beautifully. We have, and will continue, to recommend The Top as the excellent restaurant it is.Special Features:
- Always excellentJiggsDined on 7/13/2014Our dinner this time was even more special because we had requested our favorite server, Theresa, who always makes our visit even more enjoyable. Her charming personality coupled with her efficiency makes for a perfect evening of great food, splendid atmosphere and a wonderful service experience. Oeverall, another outstanding evening at Top, just as it has been for the past forty plus years for us.Special Features:
- ThrowbackBillyBDined on 7/12/2014What a wonderful nostalgic atmosphere. The food was excellent! Service slightly on the slow side, but worth the wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't rush backme2me2Dined on 7/12/2014Food was ordinary for the price. Dining room was full and quite noisy and VERY DARK. Menus are large in size and table was small so we had to hold onto them thru our cocktails until the very busy waiter came back to take our order.
- The entire family enjoyed immenselyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/12/2014Even my vegetarian niece (she enjoyed the Mac and cheese). Filet was tasty, good wine list, very nice time had by all. Will plan on coming back again when in town for family gatherings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/8/2014We are very happy to see Hans back behind the bar. He sure makes a Sidecar correctly. Don't see that anymore. Always very pleased to have Greg as our waiter. He does it all very professionally and remembers us and what we drink. Food consistantly very good. Only four stars for Ambiance due to the noise level. Wish something could be done about that short of a complete makeover which I would never recommend.Special Features:
- Always good food and good timemikey43040Dined on 7/5/2014Top Steakhouse is tops with us when we want to go someplace more upscale. Food is always perfectly done and the staff is always pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50th anniversaryDLazDined on 7/5/2014Meh. Underwhelming. The last time I was at the Top it was fab. This time, not so much.Special Features:
- hetsekrDined on 6/28/2014Best steak and lobster tail, bar none. Service was outstanding and atmosphere wonderful. Especially enjoyed the nice lady playing the piano.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordered $60 ribeye without warning.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/26/2014So we were anxious to try something new and many have told me about The Top being a unique dining experience. I was not overly impressed w anything this establishment had to offer. Our meals were good, not great. I will say the Mac n cheese was great, some of the best I've had. But my filet was nothing spectacular and my husband ordered their feature ribeye and had no idea it was $60! Certainly not worth the money. I work in a fine dining establishment and never would allow a guest to order a $60 dish without informing them (their menu ribeye is $35, so it was fair to assume it was in that price range). We felt taken and mostly would not return.Special Features:
- Amazing!KevyKevDined on 6/26/2014My steak was excellent. Honestly, one of the best ribeyes I have had in a long time. We also got the mac the cheese which was simply delicious. Crispy top with a creamy center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite Restaurant in ColumbusSuperDaveDined on 6/21/2014I absolutely love the atmosphere with the live music, low lighting, great bar area. But the food and the service are amazing. I love the prime rib blackened which is always prepared to perfection. The service is spot on...I enjoy eating at the bar and all occasions they bar staff has been outstanding. On this visit they were equally as impressive. Michael and Olga went above and beyond expectation to create a memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday at The TopFalcon20Dined on 6/21/2014Our visit was to celebrate a significant birthday. We had a separate cozy dining room that seats six comfortably. Though expensive. the outstanding food was worth the expense. We chose a broad variety of their menu and everyone was pleased.dFSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehMissDoodleDined on 6/20/2014Although our server was good, the hostess was very brusque. Bordering on unfriendly. And our food wasn't that impressive. The plating was downright sloppy and the steaks are just okay. The extremely high prices have just fooled everyone into thinking they're getting quality when it's all just okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.