The Tomato Palace
10221 Wincopin Circle
Columbia, MD 21044Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
The Tomato Palace
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.clydes.com/tomato
- Phone: 4107150211x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Italian, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Tomato Palace
The atmosphere is casual and fun, with colorful graphics enlivening the walls and menus. Seating is ample for families; and the whimsical tomato chairs by furniture maker Peter Danko are always a favorite. In warm weather there are 50 seats beneath the arbor for outdoor dining by the lake.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Tomato Palace - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
The Tomato Palace reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (27)kid-friendly (26)scenic view (25)neighborhood gem (23)great for lunch (16)good for groups (10)special occasion (4)great for brunch (3)fit for foodies (3)notable wine list (3)romantic (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- hungry?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Off the beaten path, open tables Sat. Night when we went. Over an hour wait at restaurants a mile away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pizza, great serviceOutToEatDined on 10/9/2014We love taking visitors here. The food is always good and can be followed by a stroll along the lake. Our server this trip was wonderful. Quick friendly and not at all flustered by our 2 year olds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food so-so and poor servicepeacieDined on 9/27/2014i had eaten here for lunch with friends about 6 months ago and it was good. so i brought my husband tonight for dinner. slow service, entrees took forever to arrive. my pizza was cold and just ok, i sent it back and they heated it up, my husband got chicken parm and it had NO zing at all. he had the gorgonzola salad that was very good and the cannolis were good. we won't go back. also, we had to remind the server to bring the doggie bags.
- luv2dine1Dined on 9/27/2014Food was ok; waitress was awesome; outside dining was goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- With family & friendsSmartDinerDined on 9/26/2014Food is consistently good here, but service was a little slow this evening. The reason wasn't apparent. All in all, it was a very relaxing evening since we had no place else to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, reasonable $ColumbiaDinerDined on 9/20/2014We've eaten many times at Tomato Palace and just about always enjoy our meal. During this dinner, our food was very good; however, the kitchen was slow. Our server was very nice and attentive but we waited a long time for our meals. We don't remember this being a problem in the past but it was slow on this evening even though it wasn't that busy even for a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceDelightedDinersVIPDined on 9/9/2014We were looking for a different place to go this week so we returned to an old favorite. We weren't disappointed. The food has always been good at The Tomato Palace. The salad we had was a great value. The service was great! I highly recommend The Tomato Palace for dinner.Special Features:
- Overall greatSmartDinerDined on 9/6/2014I was so impressed with the menu and wine prices last week that I took my son and his family here for dinner. This time, both were still impressive, but the service outdid both. Our waiter was so patient and polished as we grappled with so many menu choices. Later, we were finished with dinner and the bill was paid when a terrific thunderstorm hit. So, we decided to wait it out and asked the waiter for the dessert menu. He was very gracious and never once made us feel that we were overstaying our welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - poor serviceenjoyeatingDined on 8/30/2014We got our appetizer, but had no plates. The salad arrived with the main course. It took forever for the waiter to reappear. The food was good, but service was bad.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great go-to restaurantSmartDinerDined on 8/29/2014This is a great place to dine with local friends after a movie or with out-of-town visitors. Very friendly staff, imaginative dishes, wonderful flavors. And the prices can't be beat. When did you last have a good red wine for $10/bottle? More than one to try here. And probably a dozen pasta dishes for $10 also. And a fixe-pris 3 course dinner for just $19.93. Oh, my goodness!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedTerps1Dined on 8/23/2014Hadn't been to the Tomato Palace and decided to go on the spur of the moment. Was pleasantly surprised at the good food, and very moderate prices, and the service was great.Special Features:
- always goodcugelaDined on 8/23/2014I've been eating at the Tomato Palace in Columbia, Maryland, for many years. I'm sorry they've done away with the garlic knots and the portabello mushroom sandwich, but otherwise the food is terrific and the service is great. I've always enjoyed the location on the lake and eating outdoors. A group of women friends and I have settled on the Tomato Palace as our "go to" restaurant for casual lunches or dinners. The wait-staff are always patient, they'll provide us with separate checks , and we've never been rushed. The desserts are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerLivenpersonDined on 8/17/2014Birthday dinner with family was relaxed and comfortable. Food was great. Be very specific when ordering and be sure to have the wait staff repeat your order back to you. Manager was on hand and quickly resolved our issues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food; Great ServiceDinerVIPDined on 8/3/2014Tomato Palace continues to be a great neighborhood spot for great food and great service. Love the $10/bottle wine and seating where other patrons are not at your elbow. Will return again soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014We love this restaurant for special days. We are so glad they brought back the chocolate mousse. That was always our favorite part of the meal. It is the best. Now if only they would bring back the garlic knots!Special Features:
- upscale and nice without pretensionBaltimorecountyfoodieDined on 8/2/2014Casual, nice, great service without being pretentious - menu is great without being overwhelming and servings and price are just right. The wait staff is energetic and attentiveSpecial Features:
- Terrific italian food!LindaDined on 8/1/2014Reasonably priced Italian food & $10 bottles of wine... we especially love their pizzas! Great for the entire family!Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseCelticKirkDined on 7/27/2014My son and I were visiting the area and he wanted pasta. I ordered the Chicken Parmesan and he ordered the Rigatoni with Sausage. We were both pleased with the food and there was more than enough food. I didn't finish mine but was very satisfied with both the food and the price. My, always hungry son, finished his but was too full to eat the rest of mine.Special Features:
- A lovely surprisesheryl88Dined on 7/25/2014We chose Tomato Palace for a special anniversary dinner, mainly because "our place" went out of business. I was happy to try it, but I expected lots of noisy families and a menu made up mostly of pasta choices. I was wrong. Noise was well under control and ambiance, while not exactly elegant, was certainly classy. The staff was professional and behaved as if they had been trained for a fine dining setting. The varied menu included a number of surprising upscale choices (I had a stuffed portobello mushroom, filet mignon and chocolate mousse) and everything we tried was delicious and beautifully presented. Tomato Palace far exceeded our expectations and probably will become our new anniversary place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and AffordableLouisCDined on 7/22/2014The food was good, the waitstaff kind, and reservations online is a very smart idea. It is very affordable for families, young folks, and even a splurging teenager. We sat outside, and it was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great valueOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/12/2014$10 bottles of wine are a great value. 3 course meals for $20 also. Great kids menu. We had poor service this time - probably because they had a large group there for a party. Also, the staff who takes the order is not the person who brings the food out. Communication breaks down. The food is pretty good and very good for the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciously enjoyable lakeside nitePerksDined on 7/11/2014We had been weekly regulars for years prior to the closing. After reopening the menu changes didn't appeal to us. Last Saturday we enjoyed a delicious seafood linguini with beautiful clams, mussels, shrimp and scallops. They also offer a range of very affordable quality wines. We dined outside and brought our Scottish Terrior, the waitress was so accommodating and brought a water dish for pup. It was also good to see some staff that we knew from before. We'll certainly put this back on our Friday night favorite list.Special Features:
- Weekday dinnerwschDined on 7/7/2014A nice place to meet friends for a weekday dinner. Lovely view of the lake and people-watching at outdoor tables. Casual and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good family friendly spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Really good prices...especially like the $10 wine list. Server was a little slow but may have been new. Good was good. Outside seating is cool near the lake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 52 reviews are from the The Tomato Palace reviews archive.
- Lunch with FriendsRSfromRockvilleDined on 6/22/2014Lovely for lunch with friends, especially sitting outside in perfect weather. I arrived early and was seated immediately. Service was attentive but not overly so. Bread was fantastic - could have been a meal in itself. Lovely wine list and everyone's meal was very good, from salads and soup to pizza and pasta.Special Features:
- Nice Sunday LunchChristinaDined on 6/22/2014I had not been to The Tomato Palace in few years and a group of us decided to go out for a nice lunch. I remember it being great and our meal did not disappoint. Meatballs and polenta app was great, and our entree salads were made with the freshest ingredients. Everyone else also loved their entrees. Seems that there are a lot of young servers, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. He was wonderful without being obtrusive. Out of all the restaurants that have come and gone at the Lakefront, it is nice to see that you all are still around.Special Features:
- Tomato PalaceDinerVIPDined on 6/21/2014Good food served hot. Great service. Very nice $10/bottle wine.Special Features:
- Bad service & moreESi6Dined on 6/15/2014After being seated, our server never came by. Had to flag several people to get her attention. 20 minutes later, she comes, only to tell us that all of the seafood dishes (except seafood pizza; really???) were unavailable for the day. An Italian restaurant with no seafood? On Father's Day? Terrible. They could have told us/other customers that it would be unavailable when we walked in, but of course they didn't. Made us wait. We spoke to a manager and left disappointed, frustrated. The bad service is consistent with every visit, and seemed to get worse every time, but I overlooked it because my parents enjoyed one of their dishes. Now, I may have to find some other place to take them.
- KBeeVIPDined on 6/15/2014They were poorly staffed that evening. Tables had not been cleared and the Columbia Festival had brought in extra patrons.
- Who knew?WellFedDined on 6/7/2014I am amazed at how good the pizza is here. It is not the first place you would think of but it is among Maryland's best. That is high praise from a couple of pizza-snobs. We also tried the chicken and sausage cacciatore which was very good with excellent sausage that was wonderfully spicy the way I like it. With a surprisingly good $10 BOTTLE of Montepulciano the meal was an outstanding value and we took home plenty of leftovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentCarnivoreDined on 6/6/2014Nice restaurant with outdoor seating overlooking the lake, great food that's surprisingly inexpensive. Chicken & sausage cacciatore was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Early DinnerJamesVIPDined on 5/18/2014Our waitress, Chealsea, was excellent! She was professional and very pleasant. All of our requests came out perfect. Everyone chose the special menu. Most of the diners had salmon which was cooked just right. The two rigatoni and sausage was good also. The bread and dipping oil tasted especially good. No one had any complaints. When we arrived, there were few people. By the time we were eating, the restaurant was almost filled; but, it was still quiet enough for 6 people to have a conversation without a problem. Everything was as expected...a good, tasty dinner that was reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice FindWillow13Dined on 5/16/2014We stumbled upon this restaurant while looking for a dining option in Columbia, MD. The service was great, there were plenty of good bottles of wine for $10, and the outdoor seating had a great view of the lake. The pizza and salads were fabulous, but the Chicken Marsala was bland and seemed to have been under a heat lamp for some time. The value was great! We had three people dining and everyone ordered a salad to start. Two of the diners split a pizza, while the remaining diner ordered the Chicken Marsala. The table split the fried chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich and a bottle of Pinot Noir. The bill came to $55, so clearly the value was good. All in all, this was a nice place if entrees, besides pizza are avoided.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and fun atmosphere!LindaDined on 5/16/2014It's a wonderful place for a family dinner or evening out without the kids. We love their pizza, too! Terrific prices and great food!Special Features:
- Don't Miss Good Columbia Dining!JaneDined on 5/16/2014Many menu choices, great prices for moderate dining, excellent service, and an al fresco dining option make the Tomato Palace a great place to dine in downtown Columbia on the lake! Portions are large and tasty and it is great to be able to hear the conversation at your table!Special Features:
- Mother's Day dinnerNiceEasyDined on 5/11/2014Great food and good service on a busy day. The special was an excellent choice, and the pasta was good as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinneroceanviewDined on 5/11/2014We had an excellent dinner. The view of the lake was very relaxing, and the food was delicious. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Very PleasedDonODined on 5/11/2014Made a reservation for 4 and noted that we would also have two babies in a double stroller, so we would need room. I also requested outdoor seating. It was a Mother's Day outing for a new mom with twins 6 wks old and their Grammy. The table was ready and the location was perfect. Food was excellent and for the date, the service was fine. We will return.Special Features:
- Best kept secret!ColumbiaCathyVIPDined on 4/24/2014Good food, friendly service. A new go- to place for us. most mains $10.Special Features:
- Great ValuekenjonsnDined on 4/20/2014The Tomato Palace is one of the most under appreciated restaurants in our community. It has a great location on the lake. Rarely, if ever is there a wait time. Food is prepared in an open kitchen and wood fired oven. Most importantly, they value the local teachers/county school employees by giving them a generous discount, making it affordable to take the family out to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.