The Tomato Bistro
102 Rector St.
Philadelphia, PA 19127Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Tomato Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thetomatobistro.com/
- Phone: 2154832233x2
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4:30pm - 5:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: Until 10:00pm,
Dinner: Friday - Saturday: Until 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Tapas / Small Plates, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Christian Gatti
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering options are available. Please go to:
Or, call our catering department directly at:
- Private Party Facilities: The Bistro is designed to cater to the larger crowd as well as intimate date for two. Via the already established catering department in the café the Bistro will offer in house party booking for groups numbering up to approximately 75 people.
The diversity of the drink selection and menu makes the space adaptable for a slew of events, semi formal to formal. The Bistro space is dynamic and easily adapted to your groups specifics needs and make up.
Should you decide your event absolutely needs live entertainment the Bistro is wired for music and sound. In addition to the performance space the Bistro will also be able to supply a brace of contacts for local musical, magical and comedic talents.
The Bistro’s cozy environs and vibrant acoustics combine entertainment, food and drink in a way previously not experienced in the Philadelphia area.
- Private Party Contact: Craig Mosmen 2679714351
- Entertainment: Periodically you will find live acoustic music playing through the dinner hours.
- Cross Street: Main Street
- Public Transit: The R6 septa train stops in Manayunk, only blocks away.
Several Septa buses pass through Manayunk regularly as well, stopping across the street.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Bistro diners are invited to park for FREE in our private parking lot, located right in our back yard - valet only.
A word from The Tomato Bistro
The Tomato Bistro's intention is to serve its clientele with a mix of popular Couch Tomato Café favorites and a dynamic clutch of "small plate" menu options. The desire to further pander to customers palates is facilitated by the fully stocked bar, touting a rotating list of featured wines and craft beers. A few of the most salient points carried upstairs from the café below are the continuation of moderate prices, the ingenious combinations of quality ingredients, and the premium placed on the customer experience. The Bistro creates a forum for family and friends to relax and mingle amidst an impeccably chosen array of food and drink. The Bistro can accommodate parties of most any size or disposition, and the time spent inside its cozy environs will hardly be reflected with the waiter's final stop at the table.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Tomato Bistro - Best Restaurants in Manayunk ›
The Tomato Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (38)great for lunch (25)fit for foodies (20)good for groups (15)kid-friendly (9)hot spot (9)great for brunch (8)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (5)romantic (4)notable wine list (3)special occasion (2)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Cute placePhillyveganDined on 10/16/2014Cute Lil restaurant with an eclectic menu! We enjoyed the diverse, delectable and light cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ENJOYABLEKICNBACVIPDined on 10/2/2014This was our third time back and it keeps getting better. Christina was our server and she was awesome! The pizza soup and the sliders we had were fantastic!!!Special Features:
- A Pleasant Meal with FriendsQualityFirstVIPDined on 9/30/2014Our first time at The Tomato Bistro prove to be a winner. The menu is limited but the food is delicious. I had the mussels, which were on the small side but quite fresh and served with a tasty broth that should not go to waste. The caesar salad was good as were the crispy artichokes. My wife enjoyed the quinoa salad. Our server, Kimberly, was excellent. We happen to be there for 1/2 price wine night and bought a bottle instead of glasses. Nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did I order the wrong thing?DisplacedWesternerVIPDined on 9/20/2014I will try this place one more time because I want to like it. But, the food was not very good on our first time there. Waitress actually encouraged us to order gluten-free but that was a mistake.
- pizza+salad+beer+people=lifeCrustyCurmudgeonVIPDined on 9/14/2014TB is a nice, clean, pleasant, fun spot for a casual meal, getting together with friends, & sharing some great beers & good, well-priced wines. The watermelon salad was very good. The pizzas (we had a Margherita & a sausage / pepper) were fresh, hot & tasty. We prefer very thin, crisp crust, but these are closer to a thinner crusted Neopolitan style (just a fact, not at all a negative - we'll be back). Great service from great people - it's a cool little place that deserves your business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small but coolsmallbutcoolDined on 9/1/2014I found this place to be very cool nice little vide menu items had great names sounded tasty but nothing super special. Great place to chat with friends and grab a cold beer or wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great dining experienceKatieDined on 8/27/2014Three girlfriends and I went for dinner at the Tomato Bistro before a concert at the Mann Center. It was too warm to dine outside, so we were seated at a table by the large bay window. It was perfect, since we could still see outside. Our waitress was very sweet and friendly. She helped us decide which items to select, which was very helpful. All 4 of us loved our meals! We had various salads, and they were all very fresh-tasting and delicious. For appetizers, the sweet potato fries with honey mustard dip were out of this world. All around a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot Tomato!mimsterDined on 8/7/2014The food here is beyond terrific, and creative, too. How about duck and apple pizza, or fig and pear pizza, with gorgonzola? Crisp crusts, fresh ingredients, imaginative and unusual combinations. A very pleasant and efficient waitstaff.Special Features:
- great foodscottoDined on 8/7/2014Our group of four purchased the "Dinner for four" groupon. Plenty of good food w enough for all of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KICNBACVIPDined on 8/7/2014This was my second time back within 2 weeks and with all the eateries in Manayunk, this is my first choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for casual dinnerMoonchildDined on 8/1/2014Excellent pizza, salads etc. Cheerful, airy space where you do not feel at all crowded.Special Features:
- Goodtomatobistro4lifeDined on 7/31/2014Great spot GF pizza wowza so yum yum gotta love that foreverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestdionysusVIPDined on 7/31/2014This is definitely the best restaurant in Manayunk! The pizza are great, and the small plates are delicious. They also have good salads and a solid beer selection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FINDKICNBACVIPDined on 7/27/2014With all the restaurants on Main St. The Tomato Bistro is now one of my favorites. The craft beers were awaesome and the small plates simply a delight !!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findGFMichelleDined on 7/23/2014I found The Tomato Bistro through a gluten-free friendly app and am so glad I did. The free valet parking is a nice courtesy. The menu is terrific and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Fantastic Evening!AllyDined on 7/21/2014Had a great dinner with my boyfriend last week! The slider special was amazing & we really enjoyed all 4! The risotto rice balls were my favorite part of the meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick and goodFrancesGDined on 7/3/2014Stopped in for a quick bite to eat and really enjoyed the food. Service was a little slow, but they maintain 3 levels of dining, which I imagine isn't easy and they were very nice/polite. In and out within an hour and the Florentine pizza hit the spot.Special Features:
- Vegetarian/Gluten-free options!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014Good vegetarian options. Friendly servers, pleasant atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 246 reviews are from the The Tomato Bistro reviews archive.
- Good food, nice casual atmospherebaloneycatDined on 6/30/2014Food (we all had pizzas) was great, casual atmosphere. It was pretty quiet on a weekday night. My only complaint was that one of our party was heavily pregnant and the only seating they had available were high tops. When I inquired about sitting upstairs at a normal table, the hostess said that there were interviews going on upstairs and we could only sit there if we wouldn't be loud and disturb them. So the offer was made, but our party felt that we were being a nuisance by requesting a non-high top table. We ended up sitting at a high top. It was OK, but did not make us feel very welcome when we first walked in. Other than that though, we had a great time, and will likely return again.Special Features:
- Groupon go-er leaves fullNomNomNomVIPDined on 6/29/2014The Groupon deals provided by the Tomato Bistro are one of the few restaurants who actually provide a decent menu for the cost. You always leave full but not uncomfortably so. Typically with my group or husband, there's always just one or two slices of pizza left that no one has room for, which to me signifies it's just the perfect amount. The tomato soup they give you at the beginning is also some of the best tomato soup I have ever had. We also enjoy that the menu is always rotating, keeping on some favorites and exploring new options, which are usually fairly innovative--and delicious--dishes. Servers are friendly and my reservation is always honored on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShanDined on 6/24/2014I thought Tomato Bistro was a small, but welcoming atmosphere. The food was excellent and abundant. There were many unusual items on the menu, but there were plenty of options for all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual with creative choicesjekking00Dined on 6/21/2014I decided to make my reservations for this place after choosing a search within Manayunk in Philadelphia. At the time I didn't realize it was the annual Manayunk Arts Festival and the Tomato Bistro happened to be located in the middle of the blocked streets.. otherwise this offers free valet parking but this event caused some additional work and walking plus $20 event parking fee. Even with all of this the dining experience was worth it and the prices are pretty reasonable. I had the house made sangria, mac & cheese with bacon, sweet potato bisque, sweet potato fries with multiple sauces and a frozen peach sorbet. They also provided some free biscotti.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tomato Bistro for LunchMJK08VIPDined on 6/21/2014We went during the Manayunk Arts Festival and this restaurant has great food for lunch. My favorite is the Signature Margherita Pizza. Love the choice of white, wheat or gluten free crust for the pizza. The buffet is filled with choices and constantly refreshed with new items. Staff is beyond helpful and courteous. Great casual lunch experience.Special Features:
- Good food, a bit crowdedJessVIPDined on 6/18/2014Food was excellent. Service was a bit slow because it was crowded. I will be back, likely for dinner because of their awesome drink specialsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday night dinnerEarsAreRingingDined on 6/15/2014We had a lovely dinner at Tomato Bistro. Wish they had more vegan and vegetarian options. I ordered the cauliflower quiche and was very disapointed - no cauliflower. Must had been ground up to be more of a breaded type quiche. It was a new dish though so maybe it will get updated.Special Features:
- philly123Dined on 6/15/2014Always a great place for drinks, dinner, brunch- you name it. Very group-friendly, and a great atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Worth the VisitDanKDined on 6/10/2014Eclectic small plate menu with a variety of dishes that you won't find anywhere else. Service was competent and attentive; we were treated very well; unlike a few reviewers who found the wait-staff to be inattentive. Tomato Bistro is a casual place, calibrate your expectations accordingly. As some others have noted, they have free valet parking - pull up in front of the restaurant and call the number on the street sign. Someone will be right out to park your car. Our family of five (Mom, Dad, 3 teenage boys) went through about 11 dishes (two desserts) and were completely satiated. $125 out the door and worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gluten free pizza!DianeDined on 6/7/2014First time here and loved it - best gluten free pizza ever and would recommend to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great bistro!amberishhDined on 5/18/2014If you are looking for a nice pizza, salad, brunch, soup/sandwich place--this is the place for you! I have no idea what the dinner scene is like, but this is a nice place after an occasion (which I came after graduating lasalle). casual but nice place to wear a short dress, like i did!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014Food is awesome and Sundays are byob! Great selection of tappas and salads!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeCathiVIPDined on 5/10/2014Went the Saturday before Mother's Day for brunch to beat the crowds. The options were limited but included amazing french toast, a salad with strawberries and poppy seed dressing that I had seconds of, pasta, chicken tenders and a caesar salad. Unlimited mimosas were made with fresh orange juice and the beer options were lengthy and good. Service was attentive but not hovering which I like. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Another great mealSuzieBDined on 5/3/2014This was our second time at Tomato Bistro, and it was great! Everyone enjoyed their food (highly recommend the southwestern sliders!) and had a good time. The service was excellent. I ordered the jumbo lump crab salad and the dressing on it was very spicy, which it did not say on the menu. Our server took it back and brought me a new salad with dressing on the side really quickly! Wonderful service. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- my new favorite, underrated placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014This was my first time going to the tomato bistro, my boyfriend and I went after my graduation for dinner, it was amazing! The food, the service, and the atmosphere, great quality. It was affordable and I loved it! I will definitely return and spread the word.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great gluten free find!julieVIPDined on 5/3/2014This wonderfully delicious, fun, creative restaurant must have been created with gluten free eating in mind!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good find in Manayunk!PhillyPhoodieDined on 5/3/2014I recently went to Tomato Bistro for dinner with a group of friends for a casual dinner and we all thought the place was great! A few people ordered pizzas, which were unique but delicious, and others ordered from the small plates, which was also good. The tomoto bisque was not the typical sweet soup but had a savory, smokey hint to it. The beer list was extensive as well. I would certainly go back the next time I am in Manayunk.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Surpriseamiller426Dined on 4/26/2014I had only ever eaten at the Couch Tomato, but never wandered upstairs to the Tomato Bistro. I was happily surprised by the decor and atmosphere. I had ordered the Margherita pizza and was very happy. To drink, I had the apple cider which was great. I would absolutely go back to the Tomato Bistro--and soon.
- As good as it's awardsTeamBOAHDined on 4/26/2014Had an amazing meal. Sliders, pizza, mussels, and an awesome Bloody Mary. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week/First time indday519Dined on 4/25/2014We love the pizza at the Couch Tomato Café but had never been to the Bistro (or even to the restaurant as we've always gotten delivery/take-out). We decided to try this as part of our restaurant week. The deal was great ($25 for 2 people)! We were seated in the top balcony area which had a nice décor and we could see out the window onto the street. It was a little noisy but not so much that we couldn't hear each other. The tomato soup was great and so were the salads. The pizza we had to share was something different (short rib with fig and mascarpone), and was delicious. Our waitress was very attentive and did not rush us out. We had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten Smuten. Great food period!ibyte1948Dined on 4/22/2014We were visiting friends in Philadelphia, one of whom has Celiac disease and googled best Gluten Free restaurant. It already had good reviews, so we decided to try it. We ordered small plates so we could share and try a variety of the gluten free offerings, of which there were many. We would definitely go here again even though we ourselves are not gluten restricted, simply because the food was so good. Free valet Parking and an out the door price (with a glass of wine each and tip) of $50 per couple made this a tasty and affordable night out.Special Features:
- Great food!DianeMDined on 4/19/2014Had lunch at The Tomato Bistro with my 25 year old son and 6 year old granddaughter. The buffet choices were amazing and delicious! We all look forward to eating there again.Special Features: