The Tobacco Company Restaurant
1201 East Cary Street
Richmond, VA 23219Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Tobacco Company Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thetobaccocompany.com/
- Phone: (804) 782-9555
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Victorian Lounge can accommodate you and fifty of your closest friends in an intimate semi-private atmosphere for your receptions and happy hour gatherings.
- Private Party Facilities: The Tobacco Company Restaurant Club offers private accommodations from 100 to 300 persons. The Club offers state-of the art sound system and dance floor.
- Private Party Contact: Shannon Greenwood 8047829555x520
- Entertainment: Enjoy live entertainment with the region's finest bands Wednesday - Saturday beginning at 7pm to 10pm. Never a cover. Or dance the night away in our lower level nightclub open Thursday - Saturday beginning at 8pm. to close.
- Special Events: Enjoy live entertainment with the region's finest bands Friday - Saturday beginning at 9:30pm to close. Never a cover. Or dance the night away in our lower level nightclub open Thursday - Saturday beginning at 8pm. to close.
A word from The Tobacco Company Restaurant
The Tobacco Company Restaurant is proudly celebrating over 36 years as Richmond's landmark dining and entertainment venue. This four-story, breath-taking restaurant embodies the spirit of Southern hospitality and charm. The exceptional menu features slow-roasted prime rib, aged Angus steaks, fresh seafood and an award winning wine list. Enjoy live entertainment on our first floor with never a cover or dance the night away in our lower level nightclub. Our staff is committed to excellence and the creation of an unforgettable dining experience. Open seven days a week in Historic Shockoe Slip.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Tobacco Company Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
The Tobacco Company Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (87)romantic (58)good for groups (46)vibrant bar scene (40)neighborhood gem (39)fit for foodies (38)notable wine list (28)hot spot (23)great for lunch (13)late-night find (12)scenic view (11)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Nice eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/26/2014Staff was very friendly and attentive. Came for a special occasion with family. Food was good, but a little bland. Specifically, the prime rib was indeed tender, but lacking seasoning-even with the au jus. Overall a nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTnflyerDined on 11/22/2014Great atmosphere, great food, excellent service. Valet parking at the front door was really great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was absolutely fantastic.ChrisDined on 11/21/2014I have been here several times and the food quality, consistency and service continue to be top rate. Well worth the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great local spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014Our server was excellent. Attentive and friendly. The food was wonderful. Outside of the table being a little crammed, the evening was excellent! The meal was costly, but not over the top. Right about where I would expect for food of the quality served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great atmosphereHealthychoicesDined on 11/15/2014We were seated in a little private seating area which was perfect for a party of five. The dinner menu had many options and the food was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Good But That Is ItOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014A special night for my husband and me and we walked in to the bar to wait for our reservation time. My husband went to the bar to order a couple drinks and the bartender ignored us. I went to sit down and my husband waited until finally the bartender asked what we wanted. Well, they didn't have what I drink so my husband came over to me to get my second choice. He went back and the bartender would never wait on him. He kept ignoring my husband until my husband threw his hands up and said loudly, "What do I have to do to get you to wait on me?" The bartender said to him, "oh have you finally made a decision?" with a smirk. Needless to say we left and went to see if our table was ready. The (redhead) bartender, I didn't get his name, didn't even care that we walked away. When we got to our table, the waiter was nice but after hearing the other waiters, we didn't get all the specials of the night. I really wanted the linguini if I would have known! The rest of the meal was good even though I really had the excitement taken out of our special night. First impressions are critical and they set the tone for the rest of the dining experience!! I doubt I will come back.
- Goodscott5864VIPDined on 11/14/2014It was good but not as good as the first time i went there the food was just good not as good as the first time i ate there just ok .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood ClassictrauroseDined on 11/10/2014Our original planned restaurant was dark Monday's, and thanks to Open table mobile reservations we secured a short notice reservation for four at the tobacco Company. Beautiful decor, attentive service and an outstanding menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerTMPBDined on 11/10/2014Our dining experience was quite nice. When booking the reservation I had not asked for our own room. When we arrived we were escorted to our own room. It was nice to be able to dine and not have the nose from the other tables around us. My guest had the baby back ribs, seafood pasta, and the she-crab soup. Everyone enjoyed their meals and the food was plentiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool atmosphere, marginal foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014This place is overrated regarding the food itself. We went for date night -- dinner and then moved to the bar/stage area to listen to the band -- which was great. But dinner itself was totally overpriced and just mediocre.Special Features:
- luv2eatDined on 11/7/2014Wonderful food and dining overlooking the lower levels from the 3rd floor. Music was good from the bar while having a before dinner drink, but a bit loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisyCatherineDined on 11/7/2014The band was so loud everyone had to yell to be heard. We mentioned it to several servers and actually had to yell our order to the server. Not a pleasant dining experience at all. We will not be back over the week-end again. Disappointing if you want to enjoy an evening and actually talk to someone. Noticed other young couples yelling across the table to each other. Can't imagine this as a good date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend GetawayTweedleDined on 11/1/2014Third time at the Tobacco Company and as always it did not disappoint. We were greeted warmly by everyone including the valet parking attendant, door attendant, reservation clerk, and waiter. All were pleasant and accommodating. The Director of Operations came by our table to say Hello and he asked about our food; we spoke briefly with him about being in Richmond to attend the Forbidden City exhibit at the VA Museum of Fine Art. The quiet atmosphere appeals to us as Seniors and although it is pricey going there is worth a trip downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tobacco CompanyChuckVIPDined on 11/1/2014The Tobacco Company is a very cool venue. The restaurant has a great interior design reflecting its past. Three stories with open rooms and small rooms, like antique offices, in which we ate. For our group of five we felt very special. The food was very good. I don't usually order the prime rib but being the house specialty I had to try it. It was just as I ordered, and a generous portion, and very very good, with all the sauces. The other guests were very satisfied with their selections. Service was good, felt it could have been a little better, but nothing to be concerned about. Overall it was fun, we had stopped in earlier just for drinks, they have great food, and also live entertainment.Special Features:
- awesomeSharDined on 11/1/2014Beyond awesome food was amazing service was great I wanted to return for night two . Definitely a hit spot worthy of my tip and I wish there was one closer to my home amazing placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The atmosphere was great (probablyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014because it was Halloween) but the food was undesirable. After having to ask another waiter to send our waiter to the table, I ordered salmon, which wasn't that bad but the asparagus was not done and the side dish (a corn mixture) was ice cold. I gave my complaint to the waiter...he stated it's supposed to be a room temperature dish. The waiter comes back and says "how's your meals ladies?" so after a second complaint he bought me a sweet potatoe mixture that looked like it was plopped onto the dish (it really looked like a pile of "you know what". Needless to say, I didn't eat any of it. I felt like I wasted $30. something dollars. I was not offered another meal or to speak with a manager. I am requesting a refund or a free meal.
- Interesting ambianceJubeVIPDined on 10/31/2014Setting was unique and the service was excellent. Menu was ver ordinary but the food presentation and quality was very good. It was Halloween so it was little hard to judge the noise level for a regular evening. But the party atmosphere was high energy.Special Features:
- Do not go for the ClubLuv2dineDined on 10/31/2014My husband and I are from the DC area, and love trying new places. The food was pretty good, the baked potato soup was definitely a favorite. Our service was adequate, not much to rave about seeing as we were hoping she was new based on her lack of knowledge of the menu. The lobby/lounge bartenders were on point and very attentive. We were given 2 no cover charge cards for the club seeing as our dinner receipt had gotten taken away with our bill. When we made it downstairs, the door girl, Alexis was extremely rude. We couldn't believe how uninviting she was. She told us we couldn't use the cards and HAD to pay the cover. We were flabbergasted at the uncalled attitude. Seeing as the first face sets the tone for the restaurant, we didn't staySpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/31/2014The unique characterof the Tobacco Company and Halloween night made our visit memorable. Costumes by staff and customers were outstanding as was the food and service. We were made to feel most welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic venueGr8foodVIPDined on 10/31/2014I haven't been to the restaurant in many years. However, I was not disapointed. It was as good as ever and the food was outstanding. Don't pass this one up.Special Features:
- Wonderful ServiceDeathbrokerDined on 10/28/2014Our waiter Miles was attentive, personable and professional. Our selections were cooked perfectly to our liking and the wine list was creditable. It was a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodeatoftenDined on 10/24/2014Outstanding...a bit noisy, but not overbearing. Food was great & service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodDidiDined on 10/24/2014The food was not up to normal standards. The entertainment was extremely loud for having a conversation even though we were in a private room.Special Features:
- JBufordDined on 10/23/2014The accomodations were great...the food was even better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotRetiredWilliamsburgDined on 10/23/2014An oldie but goodie in downtown Richmond. The ambiance is excellent along with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rich in History and delightful menuLV2DNEDined on 10/21/2014This was are first dining experience at the Tobacco Company, a friend of my wife had recommended the restaurant for the great food and atmosphere. My initial first impression from outside driving up is that of "where old world meets modern" it was nice to see a building of that size and stature to be so well preserved in the banking district down town. Upon entering the restaurant the greeting staff was very prompt and with a reservation we got seating right away. The whole experience for us lasted about two hours to include a taste of the bar menu with cocktails and then splitting an appetizer and then our main course the house special prime rib dinner. The wait staff was very pleasant and knowledgeable which made are night special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a Richmond classicsunsetdonVIPDined on 10/21/2014Business dinner for 6 at this Richmond classic (over 30 years). The food (Prime Rib for 4, 1 filet, 1 salmon) was very good and the atmosphere as always was very nice. The service was OK but a notch below what we usually receive. Valet parking was helpful and everyone was very friendly. If you haven't been to this restaurant, I rcommend that you try it out, especially if you like prime rib (one of the best in the city).Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Great atmosphere and service. Food was okay. I expect better food for the price.Special Features:
- Fit for a MarineBillVIPDined on 10/3/2014My son had just graduated from boot camp on Parris Island and we were heading back to New York, stopping over in Richmond. I wasn't 100% sure when we would arrive and that we would probably be tired so we chose the Tobacco Company because it was across the street from our hotel and was recommended by a friend. The prime rib was excellent and they treated my son to a special dessert and unlimited beverages (non-alcoholic). There was also a live band starting up downstairs. It was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous eveving!wine757Dined on 10/3/2014We had a lovely meal in a beautiful setting. We enjoyed wine, healthy seafood, and had excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go at least once...WhitelinengoodwineDined on 9/20/2014It's a unique experience that hasn't changed in 37 years! The food was mediocre at best (we had the crab cake and filet), the service was good but a bit pompous, and the atmosphere was fine - good people watching although all of the same ilk - business execs or well heeled tourists. It's a fascinating building in a great area, but very much on the touristy side. Definitely worth a visit, but a drink may be enough unless you're feeling very flush or are on an expense account.
- must dineparentDined on 9/20/2014great place to take college student child while on parents weekend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryAnniversary17thDined on 9/20/2014This was a great choice to celebrate our 17th anniversary, the food immaculate, the service exquisite, we couldn't ask for more. Lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh!gopmomVIPDined on 9/19/2014While the service was pretty good, the food was kind of tired. Not bad just nothing special and almost cafeteria or banquet food. A dress code would be nice as it used to be a place to go for special occasions and Friday night there were some diners dressed in athletic wear with their undergarments exposed. Not even appropriate attire for McD's. Not as I remembered. A bit disappointing.Special Features:
- This place should be on every listOhioRichWDined on 9/17/2014There are only a very few restaurants I can think of that stand both the test of time and resistance to mediocrity that the Tobacco Company has. I first enjoyed the place in 1978 while an auditor with an out-of-town CPA firm sampling what my client's home city had to offer. I have never failed to go back on every trip through the State of Virginia since regardless of my real destination city. Moreover, I have told family and friends of my experience and insisted they visit while passing through the area. Without exception the feedback has been consistently outstanding and I have never needed to shy from making the recommendation since that first exposure. The experience in September, 2014 was every bit as good as the first time.Special Features:
- Had a great timeFireguy89Dined on 9/13/2014Went here to celebrate a birthday, and was not disappointed at all. The hostess had us seated quickly, and the waiter was extremely friendly, and knowledgable about the menu. The food was delicious, and the atmosphere was fun and inviting. Towards the end of our meal a live band took the stage bringing people out on to the dance floor. Overall a great experience, and will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- prr2097aDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I were celebrating our 11th wedding anniversary and very much enjoyed our experience. The waite staff was very attentive and accommodating. All special requests were taken care of as well as creating dishes just to make our night even more enjoyable. All the food was top notch and I can say without a doubt that we will be returning in the future. Two thumbs way up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tobacco CompanyMikeDined on 9/7/2014Good food and attentive service although fresh ground pepper never offered for salad but was offered for entree. If you want to be able to talk to those at your table specify that you want to be away from the balcony or in one of their dining coves if they are having live music.Special Features:
- Fun at Tobacco!DebbijoyceVIPDined on 9/6/2014A group of 7 celebrated my birthday and we enjoyed ourselves tremendously. The server was excellent and the food delicious. Highly recommend reserving ahead of time if bringing a large group.Special Features:
- Absolute GemhappyeaterDined on 9/6/2014Went here looking for a special place to dine for our anniversary and this place did not disappoint! If you love history or antiques or just the feeling like you've stepped back in time than this place is a MUST! I also loved that one of the waiters took notice that my husband and I were discussing one of the antiques and then came over and explained what it was we saw and then gave a lot of great details about the history of the building we were in, what a treat! The food was awesome we had the co. chicken and the co. meatloaf, both home style comfort food but with unique flavor and twists. Both dishes were tender, moist, packed full of goodness and the portions were huge, well worth the money. Service was great, this place is amazing.Special Features: