The Tobacco Company Restaurant
1201 East Cary Street
Richmond, VA 23219Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Tobacco Company Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thetobaccocompany.com/
- Phone: 8047829555
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Victorian Lounge can accommodate you and fifty of your closest friends in an intimate semi-private atmosphere for your receptions and happy hour gatherings.
- Private Party Facilities: The Tobacco Company Restaurant Club offers private accommodations from 100 to 300 persons. The Club offers state-of the art sound system and dance floor.
- Private Party Contact: Ashley Buffery 8047829555x520
- Entertainment: Enjoy live entertainment with the region's finest bands Wednesday - Saturday beginning at 7pm to 10pm. Never a cover. Or dance the night away in our lower level nightclub open Thursday - Saturday beginning at 8pm. to close.
- Special Events: Enjoy live entertainment with the region's finest bands Friday - Saturday beginning at 9:30pm to close. Never a cover. Or dance the night away in our lower level nightclub open Thursday - Saturday beginning at 8pm. to close.
A word from The Tobacco Company Restaurant
The Tobacco Company Restaurant is proudly celebrating over 30 years as Richmond's landmark dining and entertainment venue. This four-story, breath-taking restaurant embodies the spirit of Southern hospitality and charm. The exceptional menu features slow-roasted prime rib, aged Angus steaks, fresh seafood and an award winning wine list. Enjoy live entertainment on our first floor with never a cover or dance the night away in our lower level nightclub. Our staff is committed to excellence and the creation of an unforgettable dining experience. Open seven days a week in Historic Shockoe Slip.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
The Tobacco Company Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
The Tobacco Company Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (65)romantic (46)good for groups (38)notable wine list (27)fit for foodies (27)neighborhood gem (26)vibrant bar scene (26)hot spot (18)great for lunch (13)late-night find (10)scenic view (10)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Fit for a MarineBillVIPDined on 10/3/2014My son had just graduated from boot camp on Parris Island and we were heading back to New York, stopping over in Richmond. I wasn't 100% sure when we would arrive and that we would probably be tired so we chose the Tobacco Company because it was across the street from our hotel and was recommended by a friend. The prime rib was excellent and they treated my son to a special dessert and unlimited beverages (non-alcoholic). There was also a live band starting up downstairs. It was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous eveving!wine757Dined on 10/3/2014We had a lovely meal in a beautiful setting. We enjoyed wine, healthy seafood, and had excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go at least once...WhitelinengoodwineDined on 9/20/2014It's a unique experience that hasn't changed in 37 years! The food was mediocre at best (we had the crab cake and filet), the service was good but a bit pompous, and the atmosphere was fine - good people watching although all of the same ilk - business execs or well heeled tourists. It's a fascinating building in a great area, but very much on the touristy side. Definitely worth a visit, but a drink may be enough unless you're feeling very flush or are on an expense account.
- must dineparentDined on 9/20/2014great place to take college student child while on parents weekend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryAnniversary17thDined on 9/20/2014This was a great choice to celebrate our 17th anniversary, the food immaculate, the service exquisite, we couldn't ask for more. Lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh!gopmomVIPDined on 9/19/2014While the service was pretty good, the food was kind of tired. Not bad just nothing special and almost cafeteria or banquet food. A dress code would be nice as it used to be a place to go for special occasions and Friday night there were some diners dressed in athletic wear with their undergarments exposed. Not even appropriate attire for McD's. Not as I remembered. A bit disappointing.Special Features:
- This place should be on every listOhioRichWDined on 9/17/2014There are only a very few restaurants I can think of that stand both the test of time and resistance to mediocrity that the Tobacco Company has. I first enjoyed the place in 1978 while an auditor with an out-of-town CPA firm sampling what my client's home city had to offer. I have never failed to go back on every trip through the State of Virginia since regardless of my real destination city. Moreover, I have told family and friends of my experience and insisted they visit while passing through the area. Without exception the feedback has been consistently outstanding and I have never needed to shy from making the recommendation since that first exposure. The experience in September, 2014 was every bit as good as the first time.Special Features:
- Had a great timeFireguy89Dined on 9/13/2014Went here to celebrate a birthday, and was not disappointed at all. The hostess had us seated quickly, and the waiter was extremely friendly, and knowledgable about the menu. The food was delicious, and the atmosphere was fun and inviting. Towards the end of our meal a live band took the stage bringing people out on to the dance floor. Overall a great experience, and will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- prr2097aDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I were celebrating our 11th wedding anniversary and very much enjoyed our experience. The waite staff was very attentive and accommodating. All special requests were taken care of as well as creating dishes just to make our night even more enjoyable. All the food was top notch and I can say without a doubt that we will be returning in the future. Two thumbs way up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tobacco CompanyMikeDined on 9/7/2014Good food and attentive service although fresh ground pepper never offered for salad but was offered for entree. If you want to be able to talk to those at your table specify that you want to be away from the balcony or in one of their dining coves if they are having live music.Special Features:
- Fun at Tobacco!DebbijoyceVIPDined on 9/6/2014A group of 7 celebrated my birthday and we enjoyed ourselves tremendously. The server was excellent and the food delicious. Highly recommend reserving ahead of time if bringing a large group.Special Features:
- Absolute GemhappyeaterDined on 9/6/2014Went here looking for a special place to dine for our anniversary and this place did not disappoint! If you love history or antiques or just the feeling like you've stepped back in time than this place is a MUST! I also loved that one of the waiters took notice that my husband and I were discussing one of the antiques and then came over and explained what it was we saw and then gave a lot of great details about the history of the building we were in, what a treat! The food was awesome we had the co. chicken and the co. meatloaf, both home style comfort food but with unique flavor and twists. Both dishes were tender, moist, packed full of goodness and the portions were huge, well worth the money. Service was great, this place is amazing.Special Features:
- OverpricedBobFDined on 8/29/2014The food was average at best. It was very pricey and was not a meal worth remembering.
- Impeccable serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Ate a late dinner at Tobacco Company Thursday 8/28 - our waiter David was knowledgable, polite, friendly and overall enhanced our experience. The Company Chicken was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014it was a great experience. the only problem with my meal was that it was not hot. I didn't want to send it back as it would delay the whole meal with my wife, but the server did bring out a hot potato. the prime rib was outstanding even when cool.
- Very Nice EveningSecretSquirrelDined on 8/23/2014We dined with friends from the West Coast who are considering a move to Richmond. The Tobacco Company is a Richmond icon with great ambience and food in the heart of downtown. The service was attentive and professional. This is a must try and taste for anyone who wants to fully experience Richmond.Special Features:
- Memorable Anniversary CelebrationLuckynloveDined on 8/22/2014Celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary here with dinner. Wonderful as always! Vowed to come back specifically for our 10th and many more times in between.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion MustJennRDined on 8/22/2014Tobacco Company is a great place to take family and friends to celebrate a special occasion. The food and drinks are a little pricey, so I wouldn't recommend it for every day dining for the average person. However, the food and cocktails are delicious and worth the money. The prime rib, filet mignon, and salmon options are particularly good. Additionally, we have always received friendly, great service. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014My girlfriend and I went to the Tobacco Co with friends for a night out. We made a reservation which ensured that we were sat as soon as we arrived. We had a really wonderful experience-eating on the top floor allowed us to hear the music coming from the second floor. I was the only one dissapointed in my meal-the prime rib. It was fatty and not flavorful. Everyone else was very happy with their selection and I was able to try one of my girlfriend's scallops and it was delicious. We will go back and I will just try something different. We went to the club downstairs and our entrance fee was waived since we had eaten in the restaurant. It was a lot of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Seemed rushed and not a lot of personal care with the service and didn't seem like an intimate place. Food wasn't anything to write home about.. It tastes fine but wasn't anything better than outback was serving that night.Special Features:
- Splendid - especially the staffmarklay11Dined on 8/15/2014Great She Crab soup, superb coconut shrimp and amazing Prime Rib (literally like butter). Our server, Ryan, made the evening. Constructive criticism - coming from the UK where boxing/doggie bags are NOT the done thing, serve smaller portions of sides. Plus make the tables a bit bigger. Great night out with my wife. I came here in 1995 so was surprised it was still going and really pleased it was just as good!!Special Features:
- PerfectReemaDined on 8/9/2014A very perfect restaurant for every event possibleSpecial Features:
- Birthday Dinner21stbdayDined on 8/9/2014As a party of three with minimal needs it seems the receptive service was slower than anticipated. Some items were slow and we seem to be waiting for service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Our Server, was very friendly. The waitstaff was very attentive. Food came out very quickly. The nostalgic feel of the place was quite romantic. We had the She-Crab soup. It was very good. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- FoodRuinedMyNightDined on 8/9/2014This was suppose to be a very special moment for my wife and I. Started out real nice but while eating the crab before the meal, we pulled a four much hair out of my mouth that was still attached to the crab. It was just nasty. Game over for me at that point. My wife did want to stay so I did sinse it was our anniversary and we saved up for this for a year. She enjoyed her dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal as alwaysReedieDined on 8/8/2014This is by far my favorite restaurant in Richmond. The food is always perfectly cooked and presented. The wait staff is attentive, professional, and helpful. My number one choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WaiterOutofTownerDined on 8/6/2014This was my fifth visit to the Tobacco Company while on business travel. Only on one occasion was my waiter polite and engaged. I keep returning because the food is great as well as the ambience, but I wish the wait staff would make me feel like the experience is worth the money spent. All about the experience not just the food.Special Features:
- Great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/6/2014Really enjoyed our meal here. The building is great, the food was fantastic, and the service left nothing to be desired. Absolutely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Consistently goodOKinRichmondDined on 8/4/2014The Tobacco Company is our favorite place to entertain business people and friends who are first time visitors to Richmond. The ambience is unique and the food is consistently good. The menu has enough variety to please anyone's taste. Bar has plenty of specialty drinks but contain very little alcohol and are pricey. Our service is always high quality. Desserts are okay but nothing exceptional. The neighborhood is charming with cobblestone street with gas lamps at night which make for a nice after dinner stroll. Our only complaint would be that there are no comfortable chairs which makes a long dinner difficult. The chairs are either small armless ones with tiny padded seats or hard wooden arm chairs of average size. But we will return!Special Features:
- Good service, bad food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014My family went there to celebrate my daughter's birthday and we were very excited as none of us had been there in years. The service was excellent; great waiter and speedy service. The downside was the food. My husband's steak was cold, my prime rib was tasteless, and my son also stated that his seafood pasta had no flavor. My daughter did enjoy her crab cakes, but on the whole the food was at best fair. I would recommend this restaurant to a friend for ambiance and great service but not for the food.Special Features:
- Business lunchjustokayDined on 7/30/2014Quite suitable for a business lunch in terms of convenient downtown location and mostly efficient service. The food still seems pedestrian to me. In Richmond, when you order a crabcake sandwich at an white tablecloth restaurant you have the right to expect a lump meat crabcake without filler, because those are our crabs from the Chesapeake Bay.Special Features:
- Always GreatluvstoeatoutDined on 7/29/2014We have been coming here for years and have never been disappointed. From the time you arrive to the time you leave you are always made to feel special. The menu offers many good choices and the food is always cooked to perfection. We highly recommend this restaurant especially for special occasions.Special Features:
- PohoOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014Food was slow to come but as a reward the desserts were freeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favoriteYorktownDined on 7/26/2014We love this restaurant so much we traveled 75 miles just to eat there. We were not disappointed!! The waitress was new and we could tell but she still did a good job. The food was wonderful and the wine list extensive. We are moving out of the area and just had to visit The Tobacco Company one last time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014The wait staff was on point. We told about the specials for the evening which we ordered, and received promptly. Fish was coined just right. Couldn't ask for a better meal or wait staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stick to the SteakDouginWilliamsburgVIPDined on 7/25/2014We had an early Fri. evening reservation (5:45p) and the band was PLAYING downstairs. We were seated upstairs (it's sort of a large open balcony) that has a number of semi-private rooms (NOT SEATED OR OFFERED THESE) so we were seated in an open area with full band influence. But first the good; the server and the service was quite good. Unfortunately the food appeared to have been prepared in the earlier afternoon and warmed up when we ordered. Seriously, my wife's crab cakes (and I say that reservedly as I finished some of her plate and couldn't taste the crab) were awful; my Rockfish only B- and warmish; my son's pasta looked OK but appeared to be a creamy mess. Stick to the steak.Special Features:
- go to restaurant for special eventsfiberfunDined on 7/20/2014This has always been the restaurant we go to for a special event in all 32 years of marriage. We have always had consistently good service and good food. The atmosphere is fairly quiet depending on where you are seated. Whenever we are in the Richmond area this is our first choice of a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth ittransplantYankeeDined on 7/19/2014This was the first time I had been there in over 10 years. First time for my wife to eat there. Service was great, the food was outstanding, overall very pleased with the restaurant. Would recommend to friends and will visit againSpecial Features:
- Disappointing...MartyDined on 7/12/2014It's been awhile since I had dined here. The restaurant has a unique look and great atmosphere but the food was not up to par as in the past.Special Features:
- JimmmyDined on 7/12/2014Entrees arrived while we still had our salads. The food was average as we boyhood had fish entrees. The manager looked at our table but did not come by because he saw our salads were present when the entrees arrived. Substandard service for a restaurant at this price break. The key lime pie was bland.