The Tipsy Pig
2231 Chestnut Street
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
The Tipsy Pig
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thetipsypigsf.com/
- Phone: 4152922300
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 5-10:30pm, Saturday-Sunday 11am-10:30pm
Bar until late.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Chris Ricketts and Sam Josi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Tipsy Pig Team offers off site catering and we can work to create a menu to meet your event's needs.
- Private Party Contact: Nate Valentine, firstname.lastname@example.org, 4152922300
A word from The Tipsy Pig
The Tipsy Pig is as American Gastropub featuring 50 artisan local and international beers, and seasonal and simple American cuisine. Our food, beer and wine selection concentrate on small American producers and our bar is open late every night. The Tipsy Pig is our passion and we look forward to sharing it with you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Tipsy Pig reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since May 18, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (34)vibrant bar scene (34)fit for foodies (32)hot spot (26)great for brunch (23)good for groups (23)great for outdoor dining (18)great for lunch (15)late-night find (10)special occasion (9)kid-friendly (7)romantic (5)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Good Food - LOUD PlaceBethDined on 9/5/2014Appetizers were very good, especially the shrimp. BUT.... the noise level is VERY loud and detracts a lot from enjoying your meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Say what?JasonVIPDined on 8/30/2014The food and overall atmosphere was fine at Tipsy Pig. It bills itself as a gastro pub, and the menu jives with this. The place, however, is so noisy! I'm not an old man who gets worked up over this. I'm young and I don't mind the noise in restaurants ever. The noise level here, though, was more like a college bar on a Saturday night than a foodie tavern. At a small two top, we truly could not hear one another. It was like a concert with no music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very vibrant place with good foodPhillyTravelerDined on 8/23/2014Visiting from out of town, and I've been here a couple times before so I brought my wife and son here. It was a little rowdier than I remembered, but I'm usually there mid-week and this was a Saturday night. Nice-looking, younger crowd, pretty loud place, with good food and great drinks. Worth a visit if you're in SF and looking for a lively place. Nice outside patio too.Special Features:
- Problem with ordersusieQDined on 8/16/2014We celebrated our son's birthday with our family and had a party of 7. They totally forgot one of our orders so my husband had no food for 10 minutes while everyone else ate. As you know when this happens, it impacts everyone because we were feeling bad eating in front of him. In all honesty it ruined our celebration. In addition it was sooo hot and sunny that we were all sweating while eating. There was no umbrella or protection from sun which I would suggest they add some. Our bill for 7 people for brunch was $280….just seemed high for the experience that we had.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tipsy gemMKC7Dined on 8/8/2014Second time we have been to the Tipsy Pig and have a great experience both times as well as wonderful food! We will definitely be back again!Special Features:
- Stellar cocktails and tasty bitesOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/7/2014The cocktails we had were seriously delicious. Service was present and not over bearing. Each dish we tried was delicious, right down to the desserts! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/3/2014The food here was some of the worst food I have had in the city in 4 years. It was over cooked and not as described. The meat was extremely poor quality and the popcorn shrimp had literally 3 shrimps the rest was batter , peppers etc The sliders were terrible. As for the cocktails:(( very weak and no taste at all.Special Features:
- Great Bloody MarySmileVIPDined on 8/3/2014Great place to have a delicious Bloody Mary and a burger! Outdoor patio is so nice to enjoy the fresh air while you sip on your cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placesfregDined on 7/22/2014I used to come here for lunch, but they're only open one day a week. I miss the Fried Chicken Sando they have for lunch, but otherwise, the rest of their food is awesome. They have a good beer and wine list, great appetizers, relaxing ambiance - overall, great place to have a meal with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Food!youngrdDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I just moved to the area and found the tipsy pig! Very good food and plenty busy on Saturday night. Had good service and food all night but wish they had a much deeper selection of beer. A way to go to be one of the best beer restaurants in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EastBayFoodDined on 7/12/2014Noisy (very), but good food. Good beer selection and decent cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well appointed pub...Hopk7791Dined on 7/10/2014Nice atmosphere in a clean and well appointed establishment. Great service with food that was good, but a little on average side. At the same time, it's a place that I would frequent again.Special Features:
- Great scene with some tasty food!MichelleDined on 7/5/2014The staff here was fantastic! I brought my mom here for her birthday and everyone wished her a happy birthday, she even got a candle in dessert. The food and drinks were delicious and the overall ambient was great. Definitely a great social scene, or even a good place to bring someone for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome happy hour!JoannaVIPDined on 7/2/2014Great food, causal, good for groups. Highly recommend their happy hour.Special Features:
- Uhhhhhmazing Mac and Cheese!foodieDined on 7/2/2014Food is great and even better when you go during their happy hour and the mac and cheese is half off! I tried this place for the first time last year and every chance I get I bring all my friends who have been deprived of the best mac in the world :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our night at tipsy pigFoodie4funDined on 7/2/2014My friends and I dined there last week. You must try the strawberry fields cocktail. So refresh in and tasty with the fresh muddled strawberries. Yum!! We wanted to try so many things that we decided to share. We had the chicken pot pie. It was fabulous also the wedge salad and macaroni and cheese. I was a little disappointed in the Mac and cheese because I had heard it was fantastic. A little dry. Maybe a bad night but the pot pie way outshines it. We them shared the fried chicken dinner. Finished it off with the beignets. Dinner was delicious. I highly recommend trying it. It can get loudSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy outdoor Strawberry Fields!TastebudsDined on 6/28/2014The strawberry Field was a delicious drink consisting of strawberries, vodka, lime, club soda and one more ingredient I forgot:) The duck hash was a great dish as well as the bacon mac and cheese which my boyfriend and I shared as our appetizer. I would probably come back with the girlfriends for brunch and definitely sit outside. They have a bar areas inside as well and tvs- but I didn't get to experience it. Service was good and they always checked on us to see how things were!Special Features:
- You'll leave tipsy...jensdiningadventuresDined on 6/25/2014Overall a charming restaurant in San Francisco. A lovely patio where a limited menu is served (seems to be items they know they can get out quickly). If you want the full menu option, you have to eat inside. The drinks were great (maybe too good) and the food was awesome (we tried the shrimp appetizer outdoors before our reservation and indoors little gem salad with mac and cheese--outstanding). This was a great neighborhood find (didn't seem like many tourists were there). Would return if in SF again...really enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Food is more grease than flavorNinaMDined on 6/22/2014The seating outside is lovely but the food is quite tasteless. It’s more grease than flavor and everything that I ordered was disappointing. The breakfast sandwich was tasteless, the mac and cheese was underwhelming, the tator tots were just grease and the Dutch pancakes tasted too eggy. I wouldn’t go back to eat, but maybe just to meet a friend outside for drinks.
- MizKatzVIPDined on 6/4/2014The three of us dined early; by the time we left at 7:30 the noise level was more than energetic. My friends ordered halibut and chicken respectively and I, the soup du jour & a plate of grilled asparagus--both quite good. The asparagus was attractively served in a small gratin dish lined with a square of their menu. The friend who ordered halibut had originally wanted salmon but not the risotto set. The waiter offered the salmon served on the halibut set and my friend happily agreed, but a short time later the waiter returned to say the chef would not prepare the salmon as wished, period, so my friend switched to the halibut which she said was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/3/2014Like its name, The Tipsy Pig conjures up the feel of an old English pub with its decor and dark wood tables. The staff is welcoming and relaxed yet efficient and tuned into the pace of their diners. Happy hour offerings are varied and very well priced. The portion of roasted asparagus with bacon and almonds was generous and would have been even more delicious without quite so much butter. Oven roasted salmon was perfectly cooked; the halibut that my husband ate was also perfectly cooked. The caramel filled beignets were rich and delicious, a unique offering and there was enough to share. The only drawback to the experience--mentioned in reviews that I had read--is the noise level which rises from 6:30 on. Go early.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls night outOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/31/2014We had a group of (9) girls enjoying a night out and all first timers at the Tipsy Pig. Our server (Simone) was gracious, helpful, and very nice. The timing was on point and the food and cocktails were delicious, we will all be back!Special Features:
- Great girls day out!DeeeDined on 5/31/2014We stiped here with a small bachelorette group after a day of cupcake tasting in the city. The outdoor seating was fun and the food was AMAZING! The server was super friendly.however it was kinda busy for a Saturday late afternoon and she forgot my drink order a few times. She kindly.brought it out and from there on out was on top of it. Would definitely come back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy brunch!SuzyDined on 5/31/2014We had a great brunch for six , sitting in the front room in a comfy booth. As requested we had the window looking out to the street. We will be back. Thanks!Special Features:
- Best fried chicken sandwichLiveToEatVIPDined on 5/23/2014Wevusually go for lunch and sit in the back patio which is quieter and more pleasant than inside. At least one of us would always order the fried chicken sandwich which we think is the best item on the menu for lunch. The chicken breast is always moist and tender, with cole slaw on a very nice bun and it includes yam fries. I asked if I could have a salad instead of the fries and it came with a generous portion of beautifully dressed arugula salad which I shared with my husband so I can share his fries. It was just perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 529 reviews are from the The Tipsy Pig reviews archive.
- BoomingPamelaVIPDined on 5/11/2014The people watching was over the top and the crowd was lively. Go for the people watching and the drinks. We went here for Mother's Day, two of us had the buger, I had the pork chop and my husband had the fried chicken. The food was unremarkable, but we liked the pretzel. This is a major bar scene for the 20 something crowd. The noise level was so loud we were unable to hear the waiter tell us about the soup of the day.Special Features:
- Losing itpaul42VIPDined on 5/4/2014while service was good, food was disappointing - not up to previous standard.
- Good food but loudOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/2/2014We ate here at 7:30 on a Friday evening. It was already busy and loud. By the end of the evening it was packed and loud, and almost impossible to get back and forth to the bathroom. The food, drinks, and service were great, though.Special Features:
- Kingfishfoodie95020Dined on 4/27/2014The food, although portioned controlled a little too tightly on Salmon and biscuits, was very good. The Bourbon beignets were EXCELLENT and a must have. Simone was AMAZING as a server. Would probably do this again, but would order the burger cause it looked huge and great for a very reasonable price. Drawbacks were it was very very loud there and they don't give free refills on Arnold Palmer, cause they make their own lemonade?
- Great food but really noisyLgynVIPDined on 4/27/2014Second time back at the restaurant. Still great food and very nice service. My friends were surprised by the good food at this bar. The only thing is that this is still a bar so it's really loud.Special Features:
- Bar ambiance not the best dinnerDior212Dined on 4/26/2014The service was outstanding. The food was okay, a few steps above bar food, but the place is more of a late night bar.Special Features:
- Great fun placeJohnDined on 4/26/2014Been here several times. Great burger. Mac and cheese. Good selection of beers. And breakfast choices are good too. Make a great Bloody Mary. Trendy neighborhood spot. Lots of young interesting people having a good time in a beautify part of SF. The marina.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good but really a barKhatonVIPDined on 4/20/2014The fish was quite good as were the other dishes we had. The place has a huge bar crowd and the tables are so close together that the whole atomosphere is so-so. I am not sure why they even have the restaurant. It doesn't really fit with the rest of the place.Special Features:
- Great Comfort Food - But VERY LOUDFoodiesGaloreVIPDined on 4/20/2014After a 8+ mile walk / hike along the coast from The Cliff House (Lands End Trail) we were ready to devour what ever was in front of us:) As we've been here numerous times in the past . . . we knew they would have great comfort food (as we had earned it after that voyage) !!! Some of the items included The Wedge with Little gems, cherry tomatoes, bacon, crispy shallots and Pt. Reyes blue dressing ($12) The BBQ Pork Sliders with Chimay braised pulled pork and red cabbage slaw on sweet buns ($13) The Devils On Horseback are Prosciutto wrapped day boat scallops with smoked tomatillo, succotash & white cheddar grits ($16). The food was fun & fantastic tasting with great service, but this time it was EXTREMELY LOUD, as in CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for dining with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/18/2014I like the Tipsy Pig as a place that's great for a casual dinner with friends. The food is good and ambience is fun. I ordered the Little Gems and Beet salad and really enjoyed it, especially the candied pistachios on it. As I did during my visit, I ordered the Pot Pie - less flavorful than I remembered but still good. A solid place to dine.Special Features:
- Time to get TipsyOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 4/2/2014Great restaurant with a fun bar area and can't beat the half price wine bottles during happy hour. The service was great, staff was friendly and the food was delicious. Love the name too. Would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!allybDined on 3/29/2014We went here for my friend's birthday recently, both the food and service were amazing! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food but Quite NoisyMichaelVIPDined on 3/23/2014The entrance takes you right into the bar area and you are immediately assaulted by the noise. Fortunately we were seated in the area towards the back so the noise level was quite a bit more tolerable and we could have a decent conversation. The food was OMG delicious. Our group of 4 opted for several smaller sharing plates. Most came with only 3 pieces but we managed for everyone to get a decent taste. We had asparagus, yellowtail tartare, bruschetta, Devils on Horseback, wild boar ribs, BBQ pork sliders, and mini pot pie. The only disappointment was the ribs. The sliders were the absolute best thing but everything else was excellent, too. And the deserts were fantastic! Don't miss the beignets with bourbon caramel sauce!Special Features:
- simple n funangieDined on 3/17/2014While the kale was a tad too tart for my taste, the food was delicious, great portions, good wine selection...especially with the half off a bottle deal. Perfect date night and great value for moneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Worth the Repeat VisitMerciMeDined on 3/10/2014Whenever we are in the San Francisco area, we make a point to visit the Cow Hollow area specifically for the Tipsy Pig. Everything about the restaurant is great and it is part of a vibrant community with other great shops and restaurants. Everything on the menu is great and fits with the "pig" theme. This last visit we had the sliders and Mac-n-cheese. Delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.