The Terrace Room
530 William Penn Place
Pittsburgh, PA 15219Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Terrace Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/PittsburghWilliamPenn/Dining.aspx
- Phone: (412) 553-5235
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast 6:30AM to 11:00AM Monday through Friday
6:30AM to 12:00 Noon on Saturday
Lunch 11:00Am to 2:00PM Monday through Saturday
Dinner 5:00PM to 10:00PM Monday through Sunday
Sunday Brunch 11:00AM-2:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Jacky Francois
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Professional Catering Staff to coordinate events of any size.
- Private Party Facilities: See above
- Private Party Contact: Dawn Hooks 4125535022x
- Entertainment: Live entertainment every Friday evening from 5:00PM - 8:00PM in the Palm Court Lounge located on the Terrace Room Loggia. Solo Piano performance during Sunday Brunch from 11:00 AM - 2:00PM.
- Special Events: Various promotional and Holiday events throughout the year include Holiday brunches during Easter and Mother's day, Thanksgiving & Christmas dinner, and a NewYear's Eve special dinner celebration.
Every Tuesday night "Half Price Bottle of Wine".
- Cross Street: 6th Avenue
- Public Transit: The "T" Light Rail system located on Grant Street across from the Restaurant @ Steel Plaza Station. Port Authority Transit Bus Stop located on Oliver Avenue and 6th Avenue next to hotel.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Dinner and Sunday Brunch customers receive complimentary valet parking. Public Parking available adjacent to the Terrace Room in the Mellon Square Garage, Monday-Friday before 4:00 PM, rates are hourly. Weekend rates are $5.00.
A word from The Terrace Room
The Terrace Room offers fine cuisine in an atmosphere of classic elegance and historical ambience. Conveniently located in the renowned Omni William Penn Hotel in the heart of downtown Pittsburgh, the Terrace Room is close to all that Pittsburgh offers. Regarded for decades as one of Pittsburgh's most historic dining rooms, this traditional restaurant is perfect for a casual luncheon with friends or business associates, a family celebration, or an intimate dinner. The menu is diverse, and offers pelntiful selections prepared with fresh local ingredients that speak to our Chef's personality and creativity. Enjoy a variety of fine sustainable seafood, steaks, and other daily features served with an extra helping of warm hospitality!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Terrace Room - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Terrace Room reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (20)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (13)good for groups (13)romantic (9)fit for foodies (6)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (4)neighborhood gem (3)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- You didn't disappoint!Mort70inSHillsDined on 11/21/2014We had not been to the T-Room in years. We had a great meal in a very special environment. We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STM82Dined on 11/20/2014The Terrace Room was beautiful. Our waiter and busboy were just attentive enough. The food was delicious and well presented - Rack of Lamb and Crispy Beef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close but no cigarLionheartDined on 11/9/2014I love the nostalgic atmosphere of the William Penn Hotel and its dinner room. The food quality was acceptable and much more refined than the Grand Concourse Sunday brunch. The criticisms I would suggest in an effort to help are these. 1. Although the quality of what was presented was good it was also very cost conscious in your favor. This is cost management but try to be slightly more balanced in doing so going forward. 2. The service was OK and I was treated well but the attentiveness could have improved on drink refills and such. The drinks were refilled but not as timely as would have been preferred. 3. In summary, the cost / benefit ratio is slightly out of balance. I paid a price of $34.00 including the tip. My estimation on value is more in line with $18.00 excluding the tip. This would change with slightly higher level cuisine selections and more of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2014one of my favorite places for a business lunch - varied menu - efficient service.Special Features:
- ElegantPleasedVIPDined on 11/1/2014The Terrace Room is an elegant restaurant in the elegant Omni William Penn Hotel. The food, service, and ambiance were all wonderful. Very pleased!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Terrace RoomSwenseVIPDined on 10/29/2014It had been a while since I dined at the Terrace Room. Wait staff were very attentive, as always. Shrimp cocktail was fresh and tasty. Main course was OK, but not exactly what I expected. The restaurant was empty except for myself (when i arrived) and there were only 2 people there when I left. Despite the location and decor, I think this restaurant needs a makeover to really shine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old style charm still existsdrelsVIPDined on 10/26/2014The buffet isn't as extensive, nor the room as over the top opulent as say, The Grand Concourse, but if you want elegant setting, attentive service, and a wonderful buffet brunch, you can't do much better than The Terrace Room at the Wm Penn. Especially good is the carving station with prime rib and salmon and a delicious sesame beef tips to go with the usual brunch/breakfast fare. The room is nice and quiet, even muffled, so if your kids are a little noisy, hardly anybody will notice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentPhillyRodVIPDined on 10/15/2014Terrace Room is always consistent. Food and service were good on my last visit.
- always a good mealHilltop83Dined on 10/14/2014We ate here before a concert. It is always a nice, reasonably quiet dining room away from the crowds of concert goers at some of the other places. The food is always quite good. Tonight I had the roasted amish chicken, which was very well prepared and presented. The hubby opted for a filet, which was perfectly cooked. Would definitely return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT SERVICEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014While the breakfast buffet was excellent, as usual - our server, Josh, gave us absolutely 7-star service in the best of the European tradition - totally attentive to every detail, but not intrusive - perfect balance. Josh should be the poster-child for ALL servers - SUPERB - Thank you Josh!!
- Maggie1Dined on 9/26/2014We certainly enjoyed our experience there. The food was outstanding. I had ceasar salad and the halibit fish served over quiona.It was the best ever. It's a shame more people do not take advantage of the old gems of the city when dining out on weekends. Best service,best food.PERIOD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Place for LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014We had a wonderful lunch. The good was great. The service was fast and efficient. We talked business and could clearly hear each other speak. We will definitely be back for lunch. I'm not sure how the dinner it, but I'm guessing it would be just the same.Special Features:
- johnjohnDined on 8/15/2014The restaurant service turned for the worst once they learned I was there for the Pittsburgh restaurant week. The menu changed to a angle sheet of paper ripped out of its staple. The waiter insisted I choose all the courses in the three course meal before he could take the order. The lobster ravioli was very tasty but not well cooked on the edges. The Hanger stake was excellent. The Pavlova for desert was not the biggest disappointment. The meringue was extremely hard, could not cut it. It was overly sweet all around. If the restaurant is not into the restaurant week they should not participate.
- Very good place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Dinner was very good. Service was very very good. Food looked and tested very good. We definitely will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 299 reviews are from the The Terrace Room reviews archive.
- Under ConstructionBobFromAccountingDined on 7/10/2014Dissappointed that this app didn't notify me that this venue is under renovation. I would have picked another restaurant for this date. I wanted to impress my date but the food was being served in a conference room upstairs instead of the normal dining room.
- Not Up To Terrace Room StandardsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/5/2014We've dined at the Terrace Room many times & consider it perfect for special occasion meals. Maybe because it was a Saturday & not very busy but we found our service inattentive. Also we didn't appreciate it when a staff member began a light vacuum of the rug next to our table while we were sitting there. This should be done before the restaurant opens or after it closes. We also recommend that when we wish to take food home the server remove the food from the table to the kitchen & box it rather than handing us containers to fill ourselves at the table. That's OK at a pub but not a restaurant offering fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch Meeting PerfectjulzDined on 7/1/2014Scheduled a business lunch at The Terrace Room. It was a perfect location, centrally located and easy by bus. The food was very good (we all had salads) and the wait staff was very attentive. I would highly recommend this location for business lunches.Special Features:
- oldwaiterDined on 6/29/2014Brunch was not set up on time. The restaurant was generally disorganized. Very hard to get to the brunch line, and only one side available to get to hot food. Plates on one table only at far back of restaurant. Made it hard to get food from cold station. Lots of breakfast meat but not Chicken or Pork as an alternative. Mostly glorified breakfast not a brunch.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/18/2014In the venerable Omni William Penn Hotel the Terrace Room is a great choice for special occasion dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good serviceL2theCDined on 6/12/2014I always enjoying coming here for lunch. The ambience is only OK as you can tell you are in a hotel lobby. But the food choices & the great wait staff make up for it.Special Features:
- Will not returntasterDined on 6/6/2014Food mediocre. Steak overdone, walleye was fishy. Sides overcooked/mushy over seasoned. I only chose scenic view because the form requires a choice.Special Features:
- Great Place for a romantic dinnerViciousDined on 5/24/2014My wife and I came here for a mini-vacation. The decorating inside was wonderful, the valet service was great. The waitstaff were friendly and informative as they would make recommendations and tell us what was okay to eat (my wife is pregnant.) Would Highly recommend for any one who wants to take their significant other out on a romantic dinner.Special Features:
- Very nicenlnnnnnVIPDined on 5/18/2014A Ways enjoy both the ambiance and the food quality and prep. Service can be less than one should expect for this level of hotel.Special Features:
- Slow, bad service.RebeccaVIPDined on 5/17/2014Not one to complain, but this was the worst service experience ever. Took 30 mind after being seated to take drink orders, did not see our waiter for another 40 mins, ordered drinks at the bar,& took an hour to get food after ordering. Steaks were not cooked as ordered. Other food was good, not great. The staff seemed to not care at all. From start to finish, it was a 3.75 hour long meal. Cool place to see, but will not go back to eat.
- The Terrace RoomSbmwVIPDined on 5/11/2014We took our mom here for Mother's Day. What a lovely experience. The food and service were outstanding .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, Great staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014I brought my son here on Mother's Day. My goal was to teach him the art of fine dining. The staff was fantastic. They were friendly and very patient. It was a great experience.Special Features:
- Excellent waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014We went there for my wife bday, very nice and elegant restaurant. The menu was short but the food was nicely cooked and prepared. The kids was ordinary. It took awhile for food to come out but that is what is expected if you want a fancy dinner. Our waiter was polite and resourceful with a smile. At the end, we we enjoy our dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful restaurant with good foodMm123Dined on 5/3/2014Went here after my brother's college graduation. My whole family loved their meals, and the inside of the William Penn hotel was gorgeous. Definitely a great experience.Special Features:
- Solid experienceWalthamflyerDined on 4/26/2014We had a group dinner. The kitchen was accommodating to some special dietary needs. Overall very nice setting and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for TwomavaDined on 4/26/2014Very nice atmosphere as the room had that brought back into time feeling. Appetizers were good but very small proportions even for an appetizer. Salads were good but nothing out of the ordinary that anyone could make in their own kitchen. Now here is where they hit a home run... Dinner. My wife and I both had the salmon dish that was on the menu and it was ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS! It made the whole meal a delightful experience. I am now forced to consider going back again upon my next visit to Pittsburgh.Special Features:
- Good food, but pushy waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2014We went to the Terrace Room to celebrate my fiancé's birthday this past weekend. Everyone but him ordered the prime rib special, which was delicious, but he ordered a fish dish. He asked for it well, the waiter literally told him no, you can't do that, you will ruin the dish. Then the waiter told his father that he couldn't order two appetizers as he wouldn't be able to finish his dinner. What waiter refuses to let a guest order what he wants? When my fiancé's dinner came out and it was too raw for him, it then took the kitchen 20 minutes to bring it back out. Needless to say, it was not a very good dining experience.Special Features:
- Good food.. slow ..over 2 hourskabbDined on 4/20/2014We have come for brunch here before, the food is very good but the delay between courses was very long, especially considering a limited brunch menu and it wasn't that busy. Beautiful environment .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing Easter BrunchNydojDined on 4/20/2014Service was horrible. Took forever to get our food. Very disappointing. Regular business lunch spot which is always spot on. Not sure what was going on for the Easter Brunch but it was a disaster!
- OUR FOOD WAS AVERAGE TO GOOD.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/1/2014OUR FOOD WAS AVERAGE TO GOOD. PRICES WERE HIGHER THAN FOOD QUALITY. AMBIANCE GREAT. SERVICE VERY GOOD. THE SALMON ON A SANDWICH WAS BURNT, SMALL AND OVER COOKED. WE REPORTED THIS TO WAITER. SOUP WAS DELICIOUS...GUMBO SALADS LACKED CHARACTER BUT WERE ADEQUATE. SCALLOPS NOT SEARED THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL SPOT WITH AVERAGE FOOD FOR THE COST.Special Features:
- Sweet 16BusinessDinnerDined on 3/29/2014Took my family and friends to The Terrace Room for her birthday. The food selection and quality were excellent, service was very attentive without hovering, and the setting was fancy but not expensive. Great time. Would definitely return when in Pittsburgh, PA.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/28/2014The beauty of the William Penn Hotel remains intact, but not at all stodgy, elegant, yet relaxed. Service was friendly, well-timed and attentive to the varied ages of the party, 8-85. Excellent venue for a special occasion. The gumbo was a hit with the two diners who ordered it. Salads were unique and extremely fresh. 5/8 adults ordered fish entrees (salmon, snapper or walleye) which were fresh with unique flavors that did not overwhelm. All ordered sides were excellent except Chestnut stuffing (the only disappointment of the evening). William Penn cheesecake remained a favorite. Jazz playing in the lobby was a nice addition to our 6:30pm meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good. The madeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/16/2014The food was good. The made to order omelette was good, albeit one of the smaller omelette's I ever had. My only displeasure was the fact that they advertise for a 11am brunch, we got there and were seated at 11am, but it wasn't until 11:15 or so until they finished setting up for the brunch. We were there before a Penguins game and had a little bit of a time crunch. But it all worked out, brunch was ok for the money. The restaurant has a very nice ambiance, service was very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedDramaboyDined on 3/16/2014We had Sunday brunch two times prior to this visit and were totally impressed. We were in town for a show over the weekend and made it a point to include the Sunday brunch at the William Penn. We had reservations at 11:00 (when the brunch was scheduled to begin). We had to wait for a table to be cleared for us (so not sure what the point of a reservation was). Once we seated, about 11:15 - we were told they were still setting up the brunch. Nothing was labeled - so we had to guess what the items were. Serving utensils were not brought out for some dishes until 11:30 or so. Some never had any. The selections were so disappointing. No waffles, no pancakes, no fresh fruit. Go somewhere else for this $$$. We won't be back.
- ServiceKeenaDined on 3/15/2014The food was as I expected--tasteful and in abundance. The pleasant surprise was our waiter ( Josh I think); he was personable, funny and set the mood for the entire day! We would come back to the Omni simply because of that morning and his attitude!!!Special Features:
- High on the TerracetrloversDined on 3/13/2014The Terrace Room is such a hospitable atmosphere, very quiet and the service staff was exceptional. Dinner was excellent, best NY Strip Steak and Salmon we've had in our lives! Kudos on the dessert and wine selection also! Was a wonderful anniversary for us (3/13/14)!Special Features: