The Terrace at the Charlotte Inn
27 South Summer Street
Edgartown, MA 02539Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Terrace at the Charlotte Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theterracemv.com/
- Phone: (508) 627-6227
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly 5:30 - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Justin Melnick
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Visit MVOL.com for our holiday menus!
- Cross Street: Main Street
- Public Transit: MVTA Church Street / Downtown Edgartown
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking available on public streets and in municipal lot diagonally across street. We gladly assist handicapped patrons with a side path entrance and private parking - please notify us in advance if possible in such circumstances.
A word from The Terrace at the Charlotte Inn
Some of New England’s most acclaimed cuisine is found at The Terrace at The Charlotte Inn. Classic American cuisine showcases many ingredients from Martha’s Vineyard’s own farms and seas, and its bounty of local gardens. The result is at once classic and contemporary. Sumptuous meals are presented amidst stunning surroundings. Whether it is by flickering candlelight in the glass-paned conservatory dining room, or beneath the stars on a terrace enclosed by ivy-covered lattice, there is no more romantic or elegant setting in which to enjoy an evening, be it a wonderful night out or for any special occasion. With the experience of having run the Relais & Chateaux hotel for over 40 years, The Charlotte Inn is delighted to now own and operate The Terrace. Executive Chef Justin Melnick has quickly established a dedicated following of regular guests, and is a must-try restaurant for anyone visiting Martha's Vineyard. The Terrace serves dinner to the public nightly in season.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Terrace at the Charlotte Inn - Best Restaurants in Edgartown ›
The Terrace at the Charlotte Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (40)romantic (39)fit for foodies (28)neighborhood gem (18)notable wine list (16)great for outdoor dining (16)good for groups (3)scenic view (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Outstanding venue for a special occasion!JoeandCindyDined on 11/15/2014We dined here in November. From start to finish our meal, service and presentation were superior. Wonderful ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining... butJacksonDined on 11/8/2014Started with the chef’s daily selection of Hors d’oeuvres that consisted of 3 slices of rare beef tenderloin with a horseradish cream, 3 slices of a local cheese with honey and pistachios on the side, and 2 medium shrimp with cocktail sauce ($21). While excellent… the portion was small as this was shared with my fiancé. For our main course, she had the Lobster Duo and I had wild Alaska salmon. The salmon was done perfectly and was a nice portion served over a Israeli couscous with sautéed greens ($38). The Lobster Duo however, while excellent… was way overpriced ($48) for the portion size. The lobster tail was so small (about the diameter of a quarter) that she finished this in about 4=5 small bites! The lobster salad on the same plate consisted of claw meat with fresh greens which was nicely prepared. The downside to this dish was you have a cold salad and a warm dish on the same plate. This resulted in the lobster tail in the saffron sherry sauce being cool rather than warm, as the plate was cold. With a shared dissert and bottle of very nice wine, the total cost was $250 for two. Service was top notch and the atmosphere was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strongly RecommendMEG1VIPDined on 11/6/2014Really really nice. Charming. FANTASTIC food and service impeccable. A place to remember and one to return toSpecial Features:
- Ed4ludDined on 10/13/2014Chef Justin Melnick greeted us himself. His preparations suburb. The inn a treasureSpecial Features:
- Top NotchPittDined on 10/13/2014Really nice restaurant in a historic house with abundant Edwardian decoration. Several rooms including a winter garden and courtyard. The food was prepared by a top chef, exquisite and presented professionally. Service was impeccable by a very attentive (but not overly so) knowledgable waiter. This is not a place where you want to take young children. Do not show up in a t-shirt, jackets for the gents are encouraged. This was the perfect restaurant for our 35th anniversary. Before dinner cocktails, wine, appetizers and main course amounted to about $250, and we did not regret it a bit! Will be back for a special occasion. Check for opening days during the offseason on the Vineyard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a date night!MCfromRCDined on 10/12/2014We enjoyed our time at the Terrace. It's certainly one of the pricier restaurants we visited while on MV, but it was nice and the food was delicious so can't complain. Seemed like it's generally more of an older crowd, but they were still very attentive to us and they made great cocktails! Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YolyOVIPDined on 10/4/2014Positively charming! Dress up for a special occasion and go to this restaurant. Everything from the wonderful service to the beautiful surroundings and the incredible food will impress. What a find this place is! We loved it so much that we made another reservation before leaving. A must when in Edgartown.Special Features:
- Classic New EnglandBeansDined on 9/28/2014Quiet, elegant, and traditional, The Terrace is classy with a well-chosen menu and selection of wines. Not many young people, but the price is probably a factor. This is NOT the scene for the beer and fried-food crowd. This is the place for conversation and a relaxing meal with friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Birthday DinnerDelish1VIPDined on 9/27/2014This our favorite restaurant on or off island. The quality of the food, the attention to every detail and romantic setting put a huge smile on my face each time I dine at The Terrace. I could not ask for more. Once again I had a memorable birthday celebration. Justin is an awesome chef and Gary and Paula Conover have a magical Inn and restaurant. The "A" team all the way! I must also mention the tables are spaced appropriate so you are not sitting too close to other guests. We highly value that when choosing a restaurant and thank you for making that a priority.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Game Has Been UppedRedDogRoadVIPDined on 9/21/2014Glad to see that the restaurant has been brought up to the high standard of the Inn itself. The service was good and the food was better than ever. Our group had the bolognese, the chicken and the lamb chops. All were perfectly cooked and very flavorful. The Pouiily Fuisse wine was delicious too. All in all, I would recommend this restaurant as one of the best on the island.Special Features:
- Atmosphere and food superbOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014This was among the most beautiful restaurants I have eaten it. Every inch of the place exudes charm. We had drinks in one room with a fireplace and, despite how busy they were, we were, for at least 45 minutes, the only people in the room. The drinks were outstanding, made with the finest ingredients. Our dining experience was just as good. Service was impeccable. Next time, I hope to stay at the inn as well as eat there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014The restaurant tries to set a certain tone by requesting than men wear jackets. The service and ambiance certainly meet that expectation, but the food did not quite keep up. The bread was excellent, as was the special appetizer which included a bluefish pate. The onion soup was a little too sweet and needed salt. The beet salad was very good. The entrees, including grilled swordfish and a pasta were only average.
- Special Vacation DinnerSeptemberintheVineyardDined on 9/11/2014The Terrace hit it out of the park!!! Ambiance, Food and Service was top shelf. Wine list was great. Not only do they have a dress code I watched them enforce it - Perfect!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinnerArthurJacobVIPDined on 9/3/2014The chef was quite accommodating and modified one dish for us. Lovely spot for special occasions or vacations on MV.Special Features:
- Charming and SereneArthurJacobVIPDined on 9/1/2014Lovely service and atmosphere - appreciate the beautiful china and surroundings. The inn is a delightful sanctuary. A quibble: two dishes were not plated elegantly, a salad and a risotto - perhaps because it was Monday evening of Labor Day Weekend. I would recommend this restaurant. FYI: Albeit, not recommended for guests with young children. And the servers make wicked cocktails!Special Features:
- Not Quite Up To SnuffBobSVIPDined on 8/30/2014I read that The Terrace at the Charlotte Inn was one of the best restaurants on Martha's Vineyard. I don't agree. Here are my problems with it: 1) Parking was a real hassle. I'm used to either having parking available or having valet. Neither applied. 2) The food was OK, but I don't think it was worth the price. 3) The wine list was thin in the medium priced category, and the lesser wines were overpriced. I saw no values of any kind. I don't mind paying a lot for a bottle of wine, but don't charge three times the retail-that's stealing.Special Features:
- Nice for an old follks homegottaeatVIPDined on 8/28/2014The room was lovely, the service was very nice. The food was fine, but in no way exceptional, a bit 'chintzy and precious rather than delicious. The twice micro-waved bagel quarters presented as if 'fresh-baked-bread' might be the best example - -not what you'd expect when your going for the top of the line.Special Features:
- Best restaurant on the VineyardgoodeatersandcookersVIPDined on 8/28/2014Outstanding food, as good as the best we have eaten in Boston or New York. Fresh, modern recipes. Striped bass and home made pasta were as fine as they could be. Onion soup was sweet with rich herbs and not fatty. The berry sauce accompanying the pan seared foie gras made a memorably dish with no bitterness often associated with liver. The hazelnut ice cream was a rich as could be. The garden setting is wonderful and the staff outstanding. Our server had a master's degree in education and was attentive as could be, even when we asked for ingredient lists and wanted to learn how they made the food so good. The Charlotte Inn is a magnificent structure finely appointed with beautiful furniture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding diningWine2dineDined on 8/26/2014We thoroughly enjoyed dining at The Terrace at the Charlotte Inn in Edgartown. The wine list offered an excellent selection of wines for all price ranges including a few real gems. The chef's smoked bluefish pate and honeyed pancetta were amazing starters and the French Onion Soup should not be missed. The wait staff provided attentive, sterling service without ever feeling pushy or cloying. An old world atmosphere of plush sourroundings gave one the experience of slipping back in time to a relaxed and privileged dining environment. Our scallop and lamb entrees were simply outstanding. The best thing about leaving The Terrace was knowing we would make a point of returning.Special Features:
- One of the BestJenniferVIPDined on 8/23/2014One of the most beautiful places to dine on the island. Sophisticated but not stuffy with a very friendly staff and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worthy of an anniversary dinnermb248Dined on 8/16/2014The food, atmosphere, and service were worthy of any special occasion. The swordfish was cooked to perfection, and the chef's selection of hors d'oeuvres were fantastic. We hope to return to the Charlotte Inn again on our next trip to Edgartown.Special Features:
- Fine dining in spectacular settingGreatfulEatsVIPDined on 8/15/2014The Charlotte Inn Is the most beautiful hotel in one of the most beautiful resort towns in New England. The restaurant is equally breathtaking. As formal and elegant as a 19th century estate but with the charm of a New England seaside cottage. The attention to detail from the decor, to the China and crystal, the floral arrangements, the impeccable service and the beautifully presented gourmet food - the Terrace at The Charlotte Inn offers a level of quality that is rare these days. We went for lunch and it was a great way to experience the level of luxury that is provided by a Relais & Chateaux at a fraction of the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticPersnickety1dinerDined on 8/8/2014One of the nicest restaurants on the Vineyard. Its elegant with a fabulous ambiance. Must dress to match the setting. Great for an evening to dress up and celebrate something very special in your life or to have a great grown up dinner with your spouse, good friends, grown up children, or a sophisticated get together.Special Features:
- A Special RestaurantJPdinerDined on 8/5/2014Beautiful decor. Comfortable restaurant with excellent food & atmosphere. Staff always polite, professional & attentive. A great restaurant for a special occasion or a romantic dinner. Have never been disappointed with the food or service. The finest restaurant on the Vineyard for decor & one of the best for food & service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!CherylDined on 7/28/2014We went there for our 30th wedding anniversary and found it to be a true gem! Could not recommend it more highly for a special occasion or fine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet Breeze in EdgartownBrunchLadyVIPDined on 7/25/2014My aunt and I visited the Terrace at the Charlotte Inn for the first time; though we have been visiting the Island for years. This place s a charm The wait staff were very knowledgeable of the menu and how the food was prepared. The wine list was exhaustive so there is something for everyone. We had the special for the evening which was a wild caught sea bass of some kind. It was prepared to perfection as it melted in your mouth. I had Au gratin potatoes that the chef kindly substituted for me (instead of couscous). There was a nice selection of breads to choose from and all were tasty; yes, I tried them all. I plan to go back again before we leave the island and will add it to my list of all time favorite spots on the Island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic find!!!OliveoilDined on 7/24/2014We were concerned that The Terrace was going to be a "stuffy" restaurant because they informed us that jackets are recommended, but not required, for gentlemen. My husband never brings a jacket to MV! He was dressed appropriately in linen slacks and a long sleeve shirt. I think they want to avoid the shorts and tee shirt crowd. Fortunately, our first impression didn't color our experience. The food was outstanding! I highly recommend the foie gras. We both enjoyed the striped bass for dinner, caught locally. Service was impeccable...but not intrusive. We will be back at The Terrace next year when we return to Martha's Vineyard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 39 reviews are from the The Terrace at the Charlotte Inn reviews archive.
- ChicoDined on 7/22/2014Great ambience. Sauces on seafood were excellent. Be certain to try the sesame dinner roll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, disappointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014The setting was very nice, with fine antiques and upscale furnishings in a very attractive dining room. However, the food was mediocre and the service was poor. The college student waiter was well meaning, but inexperienced and not knowledgeable about the menu. While we were advised repeatedly that jackets for men were strongly recommended, my husband and only one other man in the restaurant were wearing jackets, with all the rest in shirt sleeves. The jacket rule should not be urged on the phone while making reservations if it is not going to be enforced.
- best on Martha's VineyardPersnickety1dinerDined on 7/14/2014This is a must go to restaurant at the 5 star Charlotte Inn. Had not dined here in a while and the restaurant has changed hands a few times over the years. Was totally pleased with The Terrace. The chef is fabulous. The wine list runs from under $50 to over 1K...something for everyone. You just can't beat the ambiance. Loved our dinner. Everything was absolutely delicious and beautifully presented. Its an oasis on the Vineyard. if your celebrating something special, if your wanting to go somewhere on the island where you can put on your pearls, if you have a special friend you want to take to a memorable step above place...this is absolutely it. So glad we came...celebrated our 35 wedding anniversary.Special Features:
- Outstanding Island diningOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/8/2014The Charlotte Inn is amazing, so it's wonderful that this excellent restaurant finds its home there. Th menu has a wide selection with a very reasonable price range. The staff are attentive, yet not over bearing. There is no place on the Island that compares in terms of ambience, quality of food and beverage, and caliber of wait staff. The dress code is strict, however it's nice to look around and see everyone in attire appropriate for fine dining. The policy of no cell phones is also great. Guests were actually engaged in one another rather than texting, or worse, talking on their phones.Special Features:
- Special Family DinnerNoNameSelectedDined on 7/8/2014We took our family here for our last night on the Vineyard. A lovely setting and fabulous food. Highly recommended. Staff in particular was excellent and very friendly to our grade-school-age children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still SpecialCTGalVIPDined on 6/26/2014After almost 40 years of dining here sporatically, this restaurant is still one of the most exquisite dining experiences the Vineyard has to offer.I would recommend this to a friend.
- J&SOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014We had a wonderful dinner at the Terrace. The staff works as a team always timely in meeting your needs, never obtrusive. The food was prepared to perfection. I had the lobster and my wife had the scallop special. We dine a lot at the many fine restaurants in Charleston SC and the Terrace was as good or better than the best of these. We sat outside on a pleasant summer night and that was great but with the windows and views of their gardens the setting is romantic from any table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful old world charm.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014The attention to detail is fantastic. Nothing is out of place or over done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hoagieDined on 6/1/2014Wonderful service and meal! Could not have had a better meal for our anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winter on the VineyardProfessorofTravelVIPDined on 3/1/2014The venue at this restaurant continues to be outstanding, but not so the food. The chef comes out and talks to you, but the seasoning and general taste are simply not up to the prices. Martha's Vineyard is hardly the place to go for fine dining. The Terrace is one of the reasons why.
- Disappointing mealKeenDined on 10/25/2013Having booked the Charlotte Inn as a treat for ourselves we were so disappointed to find what can only be described as very ordinary food that we could cook at home but better! The room is just beautiful, warm and welcoming filled with beautiful antique furniture a real country hotel in good taste. However the food was a far cry from what we remembered and what is more interesting is that apart from our charming waiter nobody seemed to care- we were told by the owner or manager that she hoped the rest of our evening was better! Won't be going back and will tell our friends to avoid until the establishment 'wakes up'.Special Features:
- A Memorable Evening-Wonderful PlacechasDined on 10/23/2013We've been to this restaurant several times over the years, but this visit was our first since the Charlotte Inn's newest chef was in attendance. Every aspect of the evening was enjoyable, from the greeting upon our arrival, to the conversation with staff as we left...and everything in between. Impeccable service...very good food, lovely surroundings. A perfect choice for a special evening. Pricey for sure, but worth treating yourself, especially if you're celebrating something special.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening !dixieDined on 10/20/2013Terrific night in every way. Great food, wonderful staff, lovely setting. Cannot wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.