The Temperance House
5 South State Street
Newtown, PA 18940Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Temperance House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.temperancehouse.com/
- Phone: 2158609975
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Derek Fields
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: From elegant affairs to casual barbeques we offer a range of off-premise catering services. For pricing & more information, please contact our event coordinator.
- Private Party Facilities: Our premier private dining services cater to a variety of occasions and party sizes. Whether it is a small business meeting, corporate retreat, rehearsal dinner, birthday party, wedding or anything in between, we have rooms and menu options to serve all of your needs. Please contact our banquet sales department for availability & pricing.
- Private Party Contact: Erica Darragh 2158609975
- Entertainment: The Tavern features live entertainment every Tuesday-Saturday. Comprised of mostly local bands & musicians, we offer blues, soul, pop,& rock music. Check out our website for a complete entertainment listing.
- Special Events: Check our website for our event listing... we have events ranging from comedy nights to Spiritual Mediums to Beer Dinners... www.temperancehouse.com
A word from The Temperance House
"Simply The Best in Bucks", The Temperance House located in historic Newtown, Pennsylvania offers the finest in quality, service & accommodations. Our simple, yet elegant menu specializes in steaks & seafood. From intimate gatherings to gala affairs our banquet facilities provide a perfect venue for any event. Please contact our banquet coordinator regarding your next affair. Journey through our historic chambers & discover why our Inn is one of Bucks County's best kept secrets. Plush accommodations with an at home feel, we cater to corporate clientele, bridal parties & couples looking to get away. Please contact our Innkeeper for more information.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Temperance House reviews from OpenTable diners
- nice surprisechamarDined on 9/27/2013I had reservations in Philly but had to cancel- this was a last minute change. Reservations were fully available even though in was the Weds before a Fri, which was nice. Parking was fine, it was a quick walk on a nice night. The town is quaint and active. The wait to be seated was not long and the greeter was friendly. Our table was next to a giant fireplace, quiet a nice touch! The help was responsive and friendly. The food was very good, I had the vegetable tower roasted and my date had the Chilean sea bass. My veggies were very tasty and my date raved about the seafood. Portions were very generous, way more then a Philly place. Wine list was small, but interesting. We skipped desert, but that was tough as the choices looked great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superlative Dining ExperienceshuckDined on 8/30/2013Food prepared to perfection and great portion sizes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all aroundNettoVIPDined on 8/15/2013Quiet and romantic. Very friendly, helpful staff. The entrees(9 oz fillet and sea bass) were wonderful. Sign up for their e mails and get a generous coupon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If I could have given serviceDeeLishVIPDined on 8/11/2013If I could have given service 10 stars, I would have! Everyone from the bartender (we didn't even sit at the bar), to the host, hostess and of course our waiter, Kevin, was Wonderful! Truly the most pleasant staff I've seen in a very long time! Also, the lunch menu was really Great, as we had such a hard time choosing just 2 dishes! Very much looking forward to going back soon :)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/18/2013I have been in the restaurant for dinner before but this was my first lunch here. As expected the menu was smaller: salad, soups, burger but everything was delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and service.CarrieVIPDined on 7/5/2013Wonderful food and service. We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/16/2013I took my mom and dad here for Father's Day dinner. We all ordered 6oz filets (med, med well and well done). Two of the filets were riddled with fat. The very first bite I took, I literally had to spit out. My steak was medium. My mothers was med well and she also told me that she had a very fatty filet. At $26 a steak (w/ mushrooms) there shouldnt have been any fat/grissle on those steaks. Also my scallop appetizer was minuscule. They were the size of dimes. Probably the worst I've ever had. I enjoyed the ambience and the waitress was nice enough but I would never recommend the food here to anyone.
- The dinner was very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/8/2013The dinner was very good. The service was good. Surprisingly, the restaurant was very quiet. There was a nice drink selection and the specials were outstanding. Would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The dinner for four on a FridayTmurDined on 5/31/2013The dinner for four on a Friday evening was very enjoyable. Maria, our waitress was very attentive to us. meals were served in a timely manner. Food was very good.Special Features:
- 0verpriced /bigbelleDined on 5/25/2013Food was only fair considering prices. Service was mediocre. Will not return.Special Features:
- Mother's Day MemoriesJamieDined on 5/12/2013My husband took his Mother and I to the Temperance House fo celebrate Mother's Day. We had a lovely table in a quiet room close to the food. There was a varied menu from traditional breakfast items to festive dinner selections with lots of old favorties and some new tastes as well. Service was very cordial and friendly but could have been a little more attentive. The ambience was quiet and low key and the decor was lovely. All in all, it was a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good Mother's Day experiencehappydayVIPDined on 5/12/2013Upon arrival at the restaurant, we were escorted to a back room behind the bar area. The room smelled (beer), it was noticeably warmer then the other rooms and the music that was playing in the other rooms did not pipe into this room. I asked the hostess to be reseated and she declined stating that they were full and other tables were being held for other reservations. I should have left right then, but we decided to give the food a shot. The food was set up buffet style and after we brought it back to our table, we realized that the hot buffet items were almost cold. When asked how everything was by one of the roving manager/hostesses, we shared our displeasure. She offered little in the way of resoluton and left not to be seen again.
- Quaint neighborhood dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013This was my first dining experience at The Temperance House and I enjoyed the experience very much. The tavern is connected, however, the noise and smoke smell do not permeate into the restaurant. The food and wine were very good! Our waitress, June, was pleasant and did not rush us one bit. I think the restaurant is the perfect, quaint spot for a date night or special dinner. I would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Nothing I would change; asusyb2Dined on 4/16/2013Nothing I would change; a very special dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Small menu but what's there is goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013Service was very good. We had two older guest who de died they only wanted appetizer and that was just fine with the waiter. I had the full rack of ribs with an cold beer and it could not have been better. Other guests had dishes which were good but menu selection is small. That said, they know how to prepare what is on the menu.Special Features:
- Great food, great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2013Great food, great service. Would def reccommed to a friendSpecial Features:
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/2/2013Our meals were excellent. Crab cakes were full of lump crabmeat and sea bass was delicious. Service was impeccable. I frequent this this place on the weekends. I will certainly go for dinner again soon.Special Features:
- The restaurant was very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/31/2013The restaurant was very nice and we had a perfect table which was out of the way because we had a 3 year old with us. The brunch was disappointing, but we would like to go back and eat there not on a holiday. The staff was very nice and friendly. Overall, I would suggest that they expand there brunch menu.
- This review is for the EasternannygrannyDined on 3/31/2013This review is for the Easter Brunch. The ambiance and service were both above average. The restaurant was quiet and well appointed. The food on the buffet was not outstanding. The deviled eggs had been out too long, they were dried on the surface and unappealing. Most of the hot dishes were merely tepid. The carving station was good. Desserts and baked goods were very good. The freshly prepared Eggs Benedict were excellent. Since they were not on the buffet, I'm guessing that the overall quality of foods prepared there might be better than what was left sitting out on the buffet.
- Truly enjoyed our dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2013Truly enjoyed our dinner. Food delicious. Service awesome. Ambiance nice. Chocolate bomb decadent. Go to the Temp. You'll be pleasantly surprised.Special Features:
- The service was absolutelyRA45VIPDined on 3/22/2013The service was absolutely fantastic and so was the Chilean Sea Bass!!Special Features:
- Excellent food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/22/2013Excellent food, great service and quiet enough to have conversation.Special Features:
- The food was outstanding andMichaelVIPDined on 3/8/2013The food was outstanding and the service was excellent too. I would return for future visits.Special Features:
- Very nice evening, and MariaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/23/2013Very nice evening, and Maria was awesome as our server!Special Features:
- Me and my lady did this asOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/21/2013Me and my lady did this as my choice for a belated Valentines day to avoid rushed service and crowds out for Valentines day. The back room had a band playing which was nice backround music pending the doors were closed. The deserts were amazing looking and will definitly do that next time but I was full and the lady decided to hit ZSW. I love supporting local resturants rather then a franchise and Temperance House is a very nice and resonably priced place with a moderatly done beer list (I always want a wide assortment of local beer). I need to find that etched Magic Hat #9 glass for my collection. Every experience with a lady at the resturant has been quiet and romantic for us. I love the old building and want to learn more about it.Special Features:
- Both June and Maria are outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/19/2013Both June and Maria are outstanding as servers !!!!
- Service at the bar was a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 2/16/2013Service at the bar was a little slow while we waited for our table, but overall, the service is great. The food was great, though there was a limited selection due to Valentine's day. This was our second time here and we are impressed. It's a nice, not overly fancy, comfy, good, well staffed place to go for a nice night out.
- everything fine except oneOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/16/2013everything fine except one problem - we were not told of the limited valentines menu that evening
- Best crab bisque we ever had!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/16/2013Best crab bisque we ever had! We had a nice time here. My wifes filet mignon came over cooked and the staff wad very attentive and brought out a properly cooked filet very quickly.Special Features:
- We love the Temperance HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013We love the Temperance House and hope to enjoy it more often.Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2013The food and service were ok . Nothing special . Crab cakes came out 90% breadcrumbs and steak was just ok .
- Went for Valentine's day.Yardleysince99Dined on 2/14/2013Went for Valentine's day. We've been there before. The decor was very romantic and they even gave my wife a rose as we left. To those who worry about parking - we've been there before and we have always found a spot nearby.Special Features:
- I'm a BRIE and fruit person.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013I'm a BRIE and fruit person. I've had it in all the local restaurants and this was by far the best. It was so rich that I couldn't eat ice cream afterwards. We chose to have a seat by the fire, which they lit for our special lunch. It was warm and romantic. The food was excellent and the service very nice. We use this restaurant for our special celebrations. Always great food and service.Special Features:
- Excellent menu choices, veryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/12/2013Excellent menu choices, very tasty; portions enough for the very hungry to eat, and for the not-so-hungry to take homeSpecial Features:
- Nice restaurant in the beautifulFrostyVIPDined on 2/10/2013Nice restaurant in the beautiful town. Parking is difficult, but the atmosphere made up for it.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerLookingforfoodDined on 2/10/2013We came for our daughters birthday dinner. Food was really delicious, wine tasty and the service outstanding !!! We would definitely come back again.Special Features:
- An Outstanding Night Out!JonMSWDined on 2/9/2013In a word - outstanding! From start to finish, it was a great experience. We both started with the seafood du jour, which was a hearty, thick crab bisque. For dinner, they were out of sea bass, which worked out fine, because we had the shrimp & scallops - just delicious. I had a perfect steak. Dessert also did not disappoint. We can't wait to go back & check out the bar & band next door.Special Features:
- The door to the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/2/2013The door to the restaurant was blocked due to sidewalk work so we had to go in through the bar - as the sign said. So we did. However, once we got inside the bar there were no signs directing us to the dining room. We stood around for about three minutes trying to figure out how to get to the dining room while the bartenders talked amongst themselves, never bothering to stop talking to direct us. Not a good start to the evening.Special Features:
- Everything was FANTASTIC!!ArdenDined on 1/30/2013The Temperance House is a great restaurant. My boyfriend and I dined there earlier this week for the first time, and we will definitely be going back. Everything from the food to our waitress were fabulous!! The seafood bruschetta was suggested (more like highly recommended) by our waitress when we were deciding between two appetizers, and it was out of this world!! My bf had the 9oz filet and I had the Shrimp & Scallops and both were wonderful. We can't say enough good things about The Temperance House!!Special Features:
- Enjoyed the food and service...moreOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/29/2013Enjoyed the food and service...more expensive than we do for a regular date night, but nice for special occasion. Like the historical building. Don't like how loud the room is...can be difficult to hear above all the other conversations in the room. We've dined on less busy nights or times and had no problems hearing, but on a busy night/time can be really noisy.Special Features: