519 North Milwaukee
Libertyville, IL 60048Neighborhood:
Mundelein – Vernon Hills - Libertyville
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.libertyvilletavern.com/
- Phone: 8473675755
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: We feature live music at our sister restaurant, The Firkin, located right next door, Tuesday and Thursday nights. Call 847-367-6168.
- Public Transit: The restaurant is one-and-a-half blocks south of the Libertyville station on the Metra Milwaukee District North Line: http://metrarail.com/Sched/md_n/md_n.shtml
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The restaurant faces Milwaukee Ave., but entry is from the municipal parking lot behind the building. Access to the lot is on the north side of Cook Ave., west of Milwaukee.
A word from The Tavern
From hanging glass beads to architectural artifacts and an original Brunswick bar painted in gold and turquoise, this is clearly not your father's steakhouse. The Tavern's menu features USDA prime beef, Australian Wagyu, organically raised Uruguayan beef, and organic free-range chicken, diver-caught Maine sea scallops, assorted fresh fish, cold water Rock Lobster Tails, and in season: oysters from both coasts, the Alaskan king salmon run, live Maryland soft shell crabs, morels, chanterelles, and porcini from hunters in Oregon and Washington, and fresh produce from local county farms. An award-winning wine list featuring over 1,200 selections, a great wine by the glass assortment, and an unusually well-stocked bar round out the Tavern's beverage program. And Now… The Tavern has moved to a new level. In preparation for the soon to be opened Tavern Lounge, The Tavern Dining Room has moved to newly remodeled and redecorated quarters upstairs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (46)romantic (40)neighborhood gem (38)notable wine list (34)fit for foodies (26)good for groups (10)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Wonderful experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014We went for dinner as a small group. The upstairs feels like an eclectic tavern - mood lighting - with a great ambience for talking and enjoying company. The wine list was great and had affordable, delicious choices! The salmon was to die for....so tasty! We did not have room for dessert this time - but will try to save room next time. The bar area downstairs looked very quaint - set up in cozy groupings. I would like to try that area with the small plates on a girls' night out soobZ. Overall just delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DishwasherOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014The dishwasher must be old. It is very noisy in an otherwise quiet place. Buy a new dishwasher!Special Features:
- Continental BobBobboDined on 8/29/2014Third trip to The Tavern. Each has been quite good. The food is very good and the menu almost too extensive! A bit pricey but worth every penny. Each time we leave the downstairs bar is hopping! Probably the best restaurant in Libertyville and if you seek to impress, they will not let you down.Special Features:
- EngagementMoose24Dined on 8/22/2014I asked my girlfriend to marry me on a Friday night. I had a reservation and spoke with someone about setting up flowers and having a champaigne toast ready. All of this was set up, and they had the flowers I brought placed on the table. The waitstaff was all very nice and police. They said congratulations and made the evening feel very special. The wait-staff bothered us only when we seemed to be wished to be bothered and gave us enough space to enjoy the evening together. Overall we had an amaizing time, and they allowed us to pace our own dinner and enjoy this special eveneing. I would recommend The Tavern to anyone for a special night.Special Features:
- Ideal eveningThirdLakeCoupleDined on 8/21/2014Went there to celebrate my wife's birthday. Had been there once before and thought it a good choice for a special occasion. Staff were friendly and attentive without being intrusive. Great wine list. Food was well prepared and presented.Special Features:
- Exceptional!HakalamaDined on 8/13/2014Great food! Very attentive but not over your shoulder wait staff. Not inexpensive but still a reasanble value for the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Bone in Ribeye I Can RecallBoneDined on 8/8/2014Expensive. Ordered "charred medium". Crispy on the outside and medium perfection on the inside. Most places i oredr my steak like that they balk. Not these folks. Great service. Took care of us with out being all up in our business. Wifey loves the ambience. I am not good at this kinda stuff, but will say old school eclectic. Baubles and wood everywhere with out being obnoxious.Special Features:
- Libertyville GemyogashortyDined on 7/26/2014Tavern is a great place for it's ambience and it's food. The steaks at the upstairs restaurant are melt in your mouth delicious. The quality is what you would find at Morton's but with a lower price tag. The decor is unique and the waitstaff very professional. Great for special occasions. the downstairs has a "lounge like" area for drinks and small appetizers. They have great cheeses to pair with wine. Downstairs is fun for date night or to meet up with other couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top NotchPaulie916Dined on 7/24/2014Another great meal at the Tavern. The food quality is excellent. High grade meats always a special that does not disappoint. The servers are attentive to detail and very present.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit expensiveLikeToTryNewRestVIPDined on 7/18/2014Extensive wine list. Would consider the Tavern best for special occasion. Restaurant was upstairs and did no appear to have handicap access (but may have elevator that I did not see).Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/14/2014The food, drinks, and service were great. Everything was a little more pricey than I expected but it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingDebi625Dined on 7/12/2014We went here for a birthday celebration and the service was absolutely fantastic, and the food followed in greatness!!! Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TavernmetavernDined on 7/7/2014Overpriced. Poor Food quality. Noisy cleaning machinery during dinner
- LOVED IT!diningpairDined on 6/27/2014I've been here before but this was a girls night and it was so much fun! They were friendly, responsive and fun!!!! Would go anytime!Special Features:
- Average for the priceOnlyWithaGiftCertificateDined on 6/24/2014Had a gift cert so took my daughter and her BF. We're not used to this level of dining so didn't know what to expect for the prices. Ladies had the Tavern Chicken, roasted potatoes, vegetables and BF had the Flat Iron steak with mashed. I was surprised how big the serving sizes were but disappointed in the food because dishes we ordered all had an overabundance of oil or butter. I liked the flavor of the chicken but it was sitting in a lot of butter or oil, too rich to finish. Daughter didn't like the sauce on the chicken but the BF said the steak and mashed were good. The toasted bread served w/dip was moldy, found after we ate a few pieces, but was replaced when we told them. Probably won't return, food average for those prices.Special Features:
- It's a steakhouseJayjiaDined on 6/21/2014There wasn't anything wrong with the Tavern, but there was also nothing that blew me away. Considering the prices, I was expecting more blown away. My soft shell crab was tiny. I liked my steak (USDA Prime Delmonico) but my husband thought his Organic NY strip was no better than what we can make at home. The mashed potates looked good and the toping of chips was a nice touch but the potatoes themselves were very lumpy and slightly watery. Lacked the richness we were expecting from a steakhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic vibe, delicious foodCeejay42Dined on 6/14/2014My husband and I like to come here for anniversaries. It's too pricey for a regular date night spot, but great for special occasions. The food is delicious, the ambience is great, and the service is pretty good too! Plus they usually give us a free dessert for our anniversary which is a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fathers Day CelebrationDeanDined on 6/13/2014We went there for an early fathers day celebration. With the festival going on, we were a little late due to parking problems. The staff was accommodating. The service was great, attentive but not overbearing. The food was very good. This was our first time at the Tavern and we will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again!GeorgeDined on 6/12/2014We have been coming here for years & have rarely ben disappointed! The service is superb; the food is always perfect & Tom is an expert on wines! Amazing & incredible once again! The rack of lamb was delicious. Go there & enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected betterEatandbemarryDined on 6/3/2014Loud dining area. Mushroom soup was extremely salty, I couldn't eat it, it also took about a half hour before we received the soup. The "bread" on the table was crostini with a cheese dip. Waitress and service was impeccable, except the length of time it took for the food to come out. Everything is a la carte, and price is on the high end. Salmon was perfect, chicken with mushrooms was just average, as well as the side of potatoes,average. Overall, being quite picky when it comes to food, it was not worth the price. The interior was eclectic and romantic which was nice. Seems as though the wine selection was really nice, although I did not have any.Special Features:
- special nighttigerDined on 5/29/2014Went out for a special anniversary and the service was just not smooth? Interruptions in conversations and just lack of knowledge of fine service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very personal - great serviceWinston1874Dined on 5/20/2014I am out of staye but I've been to the Tavern several times for business diners - this time my wife came along and we had a date night. Fantastic wait staff, very good food, unique dining room. The wild rice side went so well with my dry aged steak. My wife loved the lemon sorbet served in a frozen lemon shell. Great overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlmostRMM0605Dined on 5/16/2014This wa a little disappointing for us. We have been to Tavern on Rush and Rosevud Steakhouse, so based on the menu we anticipated a similar caliber of food and service. We were served some spread with hard bread. The spread had no flavor, think it needed salt. The salad said it came with walnuts, there were none, and the small cubes of hard cheese were hard to pick up, should have been shredded. The Uruguayan steak had good flavor and was cooked correctly, but was tough. When we arrived we received a wine by the glass list. Apparently others were deemed worthy of wine by the bottle, so no idea about the wine list. The manager or owner hovered around some tables, not ours. :-) The wait staff was nice, not overly attentive, but good.
- Special Nightjdcouple4Dined on 5/13/2014We were celebrating our 8th Wedding Anniversary. The Mrs. LOVES duck and have not been able to find any restaurants in Lake County that serve duck... We found one now!! Our dining experience at The Tavern was marvelous, a perfect evening out! Thank You!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surf and Turf!KirkDined on 5/13/2014My wife and I dined at the Tavern for her birthday and we both had the surf and turf special. This may be the the best lobester I have ever tasted (the filet was outstanding too! The wait staff is A+++. I love this place for the wine list but for this night we could not agree on a bottle so we opted for "by the glass". They had Nickel & Nickel CC Ranch cab by the glass! I would put this place up against any place in the northen burbs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 609 reviews are from the The Tavern reviews archive.
- First Timeejk1257Dined on 4/30/2014First time for us to visit the Tavern and we both enjoyed our meals, immensely. Little pricey, but for a special occasion, not too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatdknox20Dined on 4/24/2014It was a great experience with wonderfully juicy steak. They didnt have a private area but they were incredibly respectful of our intimate conversations. Glad we came.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulKathleenDined on 4/18/2014Every time we come we are so happy with the service and food. Everything was great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/17/2014The dining room is really eclectic and kind of funky in a good way, and the lounge downstairs is very comfortable. The food was great and the service was excellent. It's just a bit more expensive than it should be but worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Cute, quirky ambiance - good foodAntiqueLoversDined on 4/14/2014We found the Tavern on Open Table, and were drawn by the decor. The food had good reviews, so we thought we would give it a try. My duck was delicious, but my husband wasn't overly impressed with his filet. (Although, he could have ordered the more expensive cut.) We both loved our appetizers, onion soup and foie Gras. The wine list was very extensive, as expected, but was skewed more toward the expensive bottles. (Very expensive!) We were able to find a nice French white wine for $60.00 a bottle. We will definitely go back, and bring friends and family. It is a beautiful building, with stained glass, chandeliers and architectural detailing. The dining room is upstairs, but the bar downstairs also looked interesting and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old favorite that we hadn'twisconsinfoodieDined on 4/11/2014An old favorite that we hadn't visited in a while. Menu has been updated but remains excellent. The smoke salmon is wonderful. Got help picking a wine that worked for both Prime Rib and Scallops. Great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this neighborhoodJamesVIPDined on 4/9/2014We love this neighborhood restaurant. The food is outstanding. Great place for special occasions. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeEdwardDined on 4/5/2014Wife and I had a great experience at The Tavern, Everything was fantastc, the martinis, the steaks, the wine, the service, everything was top notch. Tom recommended a bottle of wine for our steaks, it was great. I would go here more often but it is expensive, but I don't mind paying for really great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guarenteed Good TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2014Attentive service. Helps plan a special occasion. Great food every time. If you eat upstairs, note that the bathroom - 1 person - is located on the first floor only.Special Features:
- Nice but Uninspired DishesMerrinDined on 3/29/2014The ambiance is very nice, the service is impeccable and the food is good, but not great for the expense. The fish was okay, the lobster great, but the steak was just okay. We did not order the upper echelon steaks, but for $33, the one that was recommended was a disappointment. I'm the person who likes the option of having an unimpressive steak slathered in a rich red wine and mushroom sauce. No sauces. We did love the fact they were very accommodating where sharing plates was concerned, and even separated the salad very generously and just put all the food in front of us so we didn't have to pass things. Overall a nice experience, but had the service not been impressive and the ambiance inviting, we wouldn't have been very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, the service andwrsmith50VIPDined on 3/24/2014As always, the service and food were top notch. The Uraguayan steak was wonderful and the 12 oz. filet was perfectly cooked and very tender. We had decided on drinking a Bordeaux wine with our meal but weren't sure what we should pick. After giving the server our range (around $80), the wine steward proceeded to pick a delightful wine that was actually a bit under the price range. I couldn't recommend this restaurant highly enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first time here. The foodKarenVIPDined on 3/22/2014Our first time here. The food was outstanding. Rack of lamb and pork chop were unbelievably great and the side dishes some of the best I've ever had. Will not be my last time..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time here - great againdrummin2lifeVIPDined on 3/15/2014This was our second time at the Tavern. It was just as good as the first time. Great food and service and a nice relaxed ambience. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceMaryDined on 3/15/2014We had great service that was attentive but just right. The ambience on the second floor is great, quieter and wonderful for a special occasion. Best restaurant in Libertyville!Special Features:
- Always SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/11/2014We love the Tavern and go there frequently. This time, it was to celebrate our daughter's 11th birthday. The staff is warm and inviting, service is impeccable (especially on a Tuesday!), and food is consistently delicious! I always get the grilled salmon and my husband got the striped bass. Both were cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.