243 S. Camac Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thetavernphilly.com/
- Phone: 2155451102
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday to Monday 6p to 3a
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Burgers, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mackenzie Hilton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Cross Street: Spruce
- Public Transit: Stops We are located 1.5 blocks from the Broad Street Subway Line [Spruce Street Stop] and one block from the NJ Transit PATCO Line [12th Street Exit]
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: On street parking is available as well as a number of nearby parking lots and garages.
A word from The Tavern
The Tavern, a cozy underground hideaway serving fresh American bar fare from award-winning Chef/Partner Mackenzie Hilton. The subterranean dining room is housed in the historic Tavern on Camac, a long-running piano bar and nightclub serving exceptional food to pre/post theater goers, and a solid crowd of the city’s “in the biz” hospitality professionals long after most establishments have closed their doors for the night. The Tavern boasts an approachable menu of refined bar food staples, all available from open until close, even after the bar has given last call. The Tavern makes for a great first or last stop for diners and revelers alike. Built in 1937, it is one of the nation’s oldest music venues and a natural home for The Tavern’s lived-in vibe and casual appeal. Exposed brick and wide, dark pine paneling make the space feel comfortable yet tucked away on picturesque Camac Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
The Tavern - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
The Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since March 25 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)fit for foodies (14)romantic (9)late-night find (9)good for groups (6)special occasion (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Awesome find- amazing foodmallydallyDined on 7/5/2014I found The Tavern thru OpenTable and am so glad I did... my husband and I enjoyed a delicious meal at a great price. I had the salmon special- simply prepared with s&p and perfectly roasted with a wedge of lemon, over sauteed kale. He had the free bird chicken sandwich with grilled peaches (!!) arugula mozz & basil. Both were amazing and the perfect pick me up before seeing a concert later on that night. Service was great. The restaurant is downstairs but upstairs there's a fun piano bar that plays showtunes as the night goes on.. maybe next time :) PS I realized after we got there that this is actually a gay bar- We are not gay but we seriously had an amazing time! The food speaks for itself. PPS do NOT sleep on the choc chip cookies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and friendly!ArizonanVIPDined on 6/26/2014I took a group of 7 people here for dinner on a Thursday night. It's a small place, so we were the only table that size. The waiter said the biggest he could have gone was 9 at our table, but I think 8 is more realistic. If you don't get that size of party reserved in advance, then you probably can't sit together. The food was delicious and the service was attentive and friendly. I would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:
- pre-event dinnerentelekeyDined on 6/23/2014Attractive venue, great neighborhood place. Delicious burgers and sandwiches. Don't really know why this place was empty when many others in the neighborhood were booked for the 7 pm slot. It was a great place for a group of friends to share plates of cheese, quirky cocktails and fries. Noise was weird because they have a piano bar on the floor above, and the sounds competed with the sound system in the restaurant. Good value: we had appetizers and some had drinks, and total tab was $25.00 per person.Special Features:
- Always awesomeJOEyGADGETDined on 6/20/2014Excellent new summer menu, the watermelon, mozerella and basil salad was refreshing yet substantial; kale salad best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise and delightJOEyGADGETDined on 6/13/2014Marvelous ambiance. Great staff. And brilliant chef and thoughtful, creatively curated ingredients make for a menu and foodie experience that's surprising and satisfying. A definite gem if a place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great food, friendly staffRoochieDined on 6/7/2014We had a great dinner here. The blue cheese burger was delicious. The menu is eclectic and seasonal. Loved the cocktailsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good mealjbpf23Dined on 5/30/2014We have been going to The Tavern for a while now and it is always very good. The menu is great for a casual meal and the drinks are always good. Service is extremely pleasant and efficient and everyone is very friendly. This is the type of place that once you go there you feel its your neighborhood go to restaurant.Special Features:
- Lucky FindFoodieInPhillyVIPDined on 5/10/2014I was looking for a place for me and a few friends to go out to dinner before doing some bar hopping in Philly. This place was the only restaurant I could find in the neighborhood that could accommodate us on such short notice (7 girls). It was a cute place almost in a basement - you had to go down some stairs. I would never have given this place a second look but I'm glad I found it. The service was good and the staff was friendly as well. They even gave us recommendations on what bars to go to because we asked for suggestions. Not only was the staff great but the food was outstanding - small menu but very interesting. We had a couple of appetizers too and enjoyed them very much.Special Features:
- Tavern, a go to classickristynDined on 4/24/2014Have been to tavern many times, and never been dissapointed. The food is great, the staff is very attentive, and its a smaller cozy dining room. I cant wait to see the main bar renovationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great staffMichaelVIPDined on 4/12/2014Found the Tavern on Open Table. The garlic anchovy aioli on the kale chips stood out to me as my girlfriend likes anchovies. The kale chips were in fact delicious although a little hard to eat since they were full leaves; not a good first date app but good for a laugh as we tried to eat them without making a mess. In addition we had the cheese plate, spiced nuts, monkfish po-boy, and the roasted veg with egg. Everything was great. The staff was very friendly and attentive. I was a little diss appointed with the beer list, but inly because I've become used to the huge lists at a few places. Overall a great fun dinner. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little place!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/6/2014I booked the reservation using open table to have a place to meet up with some colleagues during a conference. Though it was a little hard to find (in an alley in the basement), it was really cozy and not too loud - making it a perfect place for our group of 8. The food was delicious and very reasonably priced. The cheese plate had a nice assortment of cheeses with interesting pairings. The kale salad was large and very delicious. The other guests loved their burgers and duck confit orders.Special Features:
- We loved the Tavern and willOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2014We loved the Tavern and will definitely go back. With $3 Guinness and $5 house wine, the prices are great. They have great snacks, fun-looking sliders (and full burgers), and excellent salad selections. The salads are big, too - good portions. We will absolutely go back again.Special Features:
- Really specialKathyDined on 4/5/2014We had a party of three for a birthday dinner at the Tavern on a Saturday night. The restaurant opens at 6 and I'm glad I made a reservation for 6 because it really filled up quickly while we were there. Our waiter was super friendly, knowledgable about the menu and efficient. We had beers with dinner and they have a great selection on tap. We shared a pickled vegetable platter as an appetizer and it was awesome. About 9 different pickled vegetables with amazing flavors and textures. I had the fish special, which was a type of fish I'd never heard of. It was excellent. Fresh and meaty. My husband had a blue cheese burger with fries which he loved. Our son had sliders. everything was delicious. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Pleasant New FindBillDined on 4/4/2014First time we had ever been here as we went ahead of Phantom show at the Academy. Nice atmosphere, really nice staff which led to great service and the food was excellent. Nice bar area as well. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It earns 5-starsMikeDined on 4/4/2014From the moment we arrived, we were warmly welcomed and seated in this gem of a restaurant. Service was very friendly, helpful with the menu, and timed just right. Not rushed, but were prompt in delivering the check if you needed to get up and go. Can't say enough about the food. The garlic fries and monk fish po-boy were out of this world!! I have found my new go-to when I am in town for a show. I just loved everything about this place!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeRichDined on 3/28/2014Great place to visit if you're in the city. It's kinda of hidden but is worth it when you find it. They have great food and great alcohol.Special Features:
- The following 26 reviews are from the The Tavern reviews archive.
- Great stop before a showDougandCaraDined on 3/22/2014My wife and I were looking for a place for a nice but quick bite before the show. Food was great, service was very good. Perfect for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great casual restaurantSatishVIPDined on 3/14/2014HIgh recommend this restaurant for a great casual dinner in Philadelphia. Great food and drinks. Very nicely done and a pleasure to dine in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved EVERYTHING about this place.BhallDined on 3/8/2014The neighborhood was very clean and inviting. Such a quaint place, but would be fun with a group of friends. The drink specials were so unique, as were the food items. Loved the pickle platter. We asked the chef what would be her recommendation, and she said the pork belly slider, so the 4 us all ordered one. We all loved it. The deviled eggs, never would've ordered these either, but thought we'd be adventurous, so glad we did. Again, we all loved them. The garlic fries - need I say more!! Yum. Monkfish slider - also yum. Kale salad - another yum. We will definitely go back to The Tavern. Oh, and the staff - above and beyond. So helpful and friendly. Can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisingly good!146restaurantssampledVIPDined on 2/22/2014spectacular pickle plate! great sandwiches! great drinks (my dark and stormy made right with fresh juices; delicious!). I will return just for the pickle plate .... and just for the drinks .... and just for the atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2014Chef Mackenzie Hilton made our night special! Not only did she personally visit our table, but she answered our questions and even chatted with us as we were leaving. The apple and fennel salad was especially delish. The shortrib pot pie special satisfied my savory cravings. And the Tavern Dark & Stormy was particularly delightful, too. The service was very friendly and neighborly.Special Features:
- Cozy GemWashWestFoodieVIPDined on 2/15/2014I knew nothing about the Tavern and after reading the reviews thought we'd give it a shot though was a bit apprehensive that the mostly sandwich dinner options wouldn't offer enough good choices for my parents who were joining us. My husband and I were immediately entranced; the space is warm and inviting--the kind of spot you are happy hide in away from a cold winter's eve. The servers were simply delightful. Knowledgeable about the menu, attentive and friendly. In truth, my mom did struggle a bit to find something to order but landed on the shaved fennel and apple salad -- the health conscious will want to stick with the snacks and graze side of the menu. The rest of us quickly found our choices and heartily enjoyed our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemPaulyDDined on 2/14/2014This is a nice spot hiding in Center City. Food was great and the service was good. Mackenzie Hilton even came out at the end of our meal to talk and offer dessert. Pork Sliders were excellent but a little pricey at $5/each. I got the Monkfish Po' boy and my girl got the grilled chicken sandwich.We started with the garlic fries . Everything was delicious. Beer Selection wasn't bad and the prices were fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative menu!JaneVIPDined on 11/30/2013Inspired cocktails, great food. Best chicken sandwich--pickled onions, crispy Brussel sprouts piled on-- I've ever had and my son and daughter both devoured it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and delicious inTomCDined on 11/27/2013Creative and delicious in everything. The confit of duck was too hard/dry, but we loved all of our other Eats and Bites. And our waiter/bar tender was fun and effective.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After theater enhancerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2013Nice little walk from theater district in an enchanted alley. Menu is eclectic enough and tasty. Very nice experience overall .Special Features:
- disappointing first visitDannyVIPDined on 10/9/2013I tried the tavern for the first time before a 7:30 show. despite high expectations, it was a disappointment, though certainly not all bad. well made martini was followed by surprisingly delicious deviled eggs, a house specialty. I ordered a blue burger medium, and my friend ordered the same well done. it took over a half hour for the burgers to arrive, and there were only two other parties at the bar. the restaurant side was empty. that left us with only 20 mins to eat our dinner before the show. both burgers were cooked well done, which caused my modest rating. to the restaurant's credit, they took it off the bill. still, I would have liked enough time for a cup of coffee before the show, but there wasn't enough time.
- Inventive menu. Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/20/2013Inventive menu. Great experience in terms food and service. Quiet & conversation friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food placePhillycorkDined on 9/19/2013Love what they have done. Chef loves food as much as her patrons. Give this a try and you will make it you go to place..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, hidden nugget in PhillyOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/13/2013We found this place on Open Table as a last minute reservation after many of my favorite places had already been booked. Went to The Tavern with a close friend, who I had not seen in a very long time. The noise level was just right for quality conversations, the wines were wonderful, and the food was fresh. The watermelon salad with tomatoes, burrata, and basil was splendid. Can't wait to go back to try more on the menu!Special Features:
- Good service, nice presentationOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/7/2013Excellent service, nice ambience. They put a lot of thought and care into the presentation: lots of aioli varieties for your fries and chips, and lots of craft beers (in fact, they had just changed their beer list from summer to autumn, and the waiter had to tell me of four substitutions on the list). My appetizer, the pork belly slider, was sensational - wish it had been available as a full-size sandwich. My entree was the duck sandwich, which was not perfect: the meat was dry, and the sandwich was so overstuffed (with greens and an egg) that the contents spilled out onto the plate. Aside from that, nothing to complain about. Be warned that the restaurant is in the basement, with steps down - may be hard for older folks to access.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to the neighborhood!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/31/2013We've been meaning to try The Tavern out since it opened but we finally were able to make it this weekend and I'm glad we did. I like that it isn't a loud place and you can actually have a nice conversation with your dinner companions. We enjoyed the food especially the cheese plate (although I'm not too sure about the bacon jam.....) The grilled cheese with tomato soup was definitely something I will get again. The neighborhood has so many great places to eat but I do think The Tavern is a good addition because it is different than all the other options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2013Gah! We so totally gorged ourselves and everything was fantastic. It's a great little space, and the service was fantastic. As for the food, between the two of us, we probably tried half the menu and we loved every bit of it - right down to the frozen Popsicles we had for dessert (watermelon martini for me, strawberries and cream for my dining partner). The braised duck was a highlight, and I'll probably dream about the garlic french fries until the day I die. I'd stop in to sit at the bar every night if I could, just to order those fries and the amazing Kale chips.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new addition to PhiladelphiaWarrenDined on 7/10/2013This place is a great new addition to Philadelphia's dining scene. Inventive dishes combined with reasonable prices make this place a winner.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food and Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/3/2013My wife and I tried The Tavern last night after reading about Chef Mackenzie Hilton's return to Washington Square West, and we were floored by the incredible service, the food, and the prices. But the best part of our night? Mackenzie Hilton came and sat down with us during dessert. She was personable, down to earth, and everything you'd want in someone overseeing the preparation of your food! As for the food itself-- something that makes this place awesome is the ability to "shrink" the entrees into smaller dishes, which allows you to taste test: monkfish Po'boy, kale chips, breakfast burger, cooper cheese fries, duck sliders. All incredible. Vanilla ice cream with caramel popcorn is a must for dessert. Can't say enough great things!Special Features:
- We were the only patrons thereOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/11/2011We were the only patrons there and it was the beginning of restaurant week. I was disappointed that there was no open menu. The food was OK - nothing great - but it was a cute little place.
- Reasons why the food didn'tTigresSKSVIPDined on 9/9/2011Reasons why the food didn't score higher: medium-well burger was unevenly cooked and quite rare in the center. Reason why service didn't score higher: asked for goat cheese on the side, but it was definitely mixed in. However, the burger had a lovely flavor, the server was friendly, and the atmosphere was nice and intimate.
- Great place to meet peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2011Great place to meet people and talk. Great ambiance. Food was very good. Octopus app was a little overdone. Gezpacho delicious. Filet and Sea Bass perfect!Special Features:
- Food was great, nice littleOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/18/2011Food was great, nice little place, friendly staff, will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Pleasant local restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/12/2011After reading several positive reviews, we were frankly disappointed. The food was good but not gourmet. The wine list was weak and the staff was not knowledgeable about the wines. The ambience was pleasant, but not entertaining. Only one or 2 other tables were occupied on a Friday night, although there were a fair number of people at the bar. We would not go back.