The Tavern Kitchen and Bar
2961 Dougherty Ferry Rd. Suite 101
Saint Louis, MO 63122Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Tavern Kitchen and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://tavernstl.com/
- Phone: (636) 825-0600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm Closed lunches
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Steve Caravelli & Matt Abeshouse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Please Contact Alex King or Josh Sturma (636) 825-0600
A word from The Tavern Kitchen and Bar
The Tavern Kitchen & Bar showcases executive chefs, Steve Caravelli and Matt Abeshouse, minimalist approach to exquisite comfort food by offering a unique dining experience with beautiful private dining rooms, an inviting bar and an exhibition style kitchen. Open for dinner 7 nights a week, The Tavern offers something for every palate from fresh market fish and an award winning burger to vegetarian and gluten free items.Continued
The Tavern STL is exquisite comfort food with flavors you know artfully reinvented.
The Tavern STL is exquisite comfort food with flavors you know artfully reinvented.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Tavern Kitchen and Bar - Best Restaurants in Kirkwood ›
The Tavern Kitchen and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
175 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (136)special occasion (105)neighborhood gem (97)hot spot (48)good for groups (46)romantic (35)notable wine list (23)vibrant bar scene (18)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Love their menu and the food is ALWAYS superbFUNGROUPDined on 11/17/2014We had 4 different meals and the fish was outstanding. The gumbo super yummy and spicy and the salads are amazing. My kids both had homemade dessert ---- they LOVED them and the bite I had said they were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DK1064DK1064VIPDined on 11/15/2014The restaurant had a vibrant energy. We were seated just after arriving with our reservation. Danielle did a great job explaining the updated menu and the presentation and food were outstanding. We were also pleased that Alex and Erin stopped by our table to say hello. It is always nice to be recognized from a previous visit and made to feel like a special customer, even when all the tables are full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceDenaliVIPDined on 11/9/2014We had a wonderful birthday celebration at The Tavern recently. The staff and managers could not have been more attentive or welcoming. The food was excellent. The pricing is not inexpensive, but we did receive great value for the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still haven't been disappointeddjkindigDined on 11/8/2014I've been to the Tavern several times now and I have yet to be disappointed in the quality of food. The level of service provided is exceptional. It is easily noticed how much of a team environment the staff works in. Everyone has a hand in helping out with delivering food as well as clean-up. The one time I was even close to being disappointed was when I let my girlfriend talk me into getting one of the tasting boards. Now, this is great for those that like to experience a variety for dinner but for me I like to have a single entree. When deciding where to go for a nice dinner the Tavern needs to be highly considered!Special Features:
- Great FoodHappyCustomerDined on 11/2/2014We had a great meal and the server was very helpful with suggestions of what to eat. A wide variety of fish and tough it was pricey, portions were not small. You can't skip dessert!Special Features:
- Excellant MealBearDined on 11/1/2014We haven't been to the tavern in a while and decide to go back. They just changed their menu and it's even better! All the food was excellent and our sever Jonathan was great. They also added some more options on the menu for those that don't like fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/1/2014The noise level in the restaurant was close to intolerable. It seemed that there was new mgmt and a different menu presentation. It is a predominately a sea food menu. You choose the fish and then choose the preparation. Not all types of fish shine with the same sauce or cooking method. We purchased a $70 bottle of Chard wine and was charged a corkage for the bottle of Cab that I brought. I asked them to wave the $15 fee but was told that they couldn't. We have better meals in the past.Special Features:
- Great food!JSeanDined on 10/31/2014We really enjoyed everything about our meal and will definitely come back soon.Special Features:
- Solid.......again!HappyEaterDined on 10/28/2014After visiting any restaurant more than 10 times, you would imagine it would become a routine experience. I have found this to be exactly the opposite at The Tavern. I still continue to enjoy exciting dishes and a great energetic environment. The food is just good and the flavors are never dull.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lizgDined on 10/25/2014the food was great. Wonderful server. He went above and beyond. Was great about giving each couple a separate bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- donnaVIPDined on 10/24/2014We frequent The Tavern, we always have good service and the food is consistantly good. Due to some other issues we had not been there in awhile and we were excited with the new menu. We had taken guests with us and they were also very happy with their food. Beware tho, even if it says a tasting it's not like the tastings you may get at another restaurant, there is plenty. Their trio dishes with the combos allowing you to taste several menu items were a big hit with our guests. Always a hit with us. Staff is well trained so don't be afraid to ask about a menu item they will know exactly what it is.Special Features:
- special dinner nightbirthdaydinner31Dined on 10/24/2014Sat at the bar watching the world series. Justin served us, he was better than great and a busy guy, still had all time for us. Food was excellent. Wanted to go back later that night for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodtess28Dined on 10/24/2014The restaurant was very busy and full of energy. I would not call it romantic at all. Great for tables of 2 or 4. Can get a bit noisy. Loved the food wait staff was a bit slow but keep in mind they were very busy. I will return.Special Features:
- Excellent!eatoutalotDined on 10/21/2014Our service was beyond perfection. The manager visited our table several times to make sure we were taken care of. Our server was knowledable and efficient. The food was amazing-----we ate more than we planned and dessert was literally the ice cream on the cake! Incredible. A great eveningSpecial Features:
- Another great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/20/2014We love Tavern. Love that it's close and that the food is great. We always order too much but love it all. I expecially love their tasting boards b/c I like to try a lot of things - a fun approach to eating! Service was great and we love sitting up by the open kitchen to see how the magic happens. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Outstanding!datenightfoodiesDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I like to consider ourselves "foodies". This has been on our list for a while, and I am glad we finally made the trip. The ambiance was so cool - very hopping, and we loved that the kitchen was open to the dining area. There were also some private rooms that looked perfect for a group gathering. The food was absolutely fabulous! I had the scallops, my husband had a combo plate of various fish, and we shared the spinach salad, lobster potstickers, and macaroni & cheese. It was all so delicious! The only down-side (if you want to call it that) is the price. This was probably the most expensive date-night dinner we have had in St. Louis. The food was good; I just wish the total bill would have been lower.Special Features:
- Now on my Top Ten listPamelaD1973Dined on 10/18/2014Thoroughly enjoyed my visit to the Tavern. 6:30 reservations, seated immediately. Service was impeccable. Menu is varied and interesting, which made it very difficult to decide! Opted for a tour of the Tavern's favorites - A Taste of the Tavern appetizer, the Filet Trio tasting board as an entree and the Trio of Sides rounded out dinner. All were perfectly prepared and enjoyed to the last morsel. The parmesan pull aparts were perfect. Dessert was amazing. The skillet chocolate chip cookie with peanut butter mousse and cookie dough ice cream was to die for. Will go back!Special Features:
- DK1064DK1064VIPDined on 10/16/2014The Tavern performed up to our expectations as always. Alex welcomed us upon arrival and we knew we were in the right place. It had been too long between visits. Erin was great with the new seasonal menu, her recommendations were spot on, The JH Trio and Surf Plank were our dinner choices, and were just fantastic. An explosion of good flavors and sampling. The staff and all the help are enthusiastic and caring and it is reflected in the service they provide. The "company" has done a great job with their hiring practices. We always recommend the Tavern as a great place for a special dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/12/2014Second trip to this fine restaurant. Food is delicious and lots of gluten free options too. Service and server were top notch. We look forward to dining here again.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedGDRFDined on 10/11/2014Dined there for the first Saturday night. Expected that the good reviews might be overrated but we were pleasantly surprised at the fresh food and inventive menu. We will certainly go back regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeafoodericpagVIPDined on 10/10/2014Loved the new seafood menu! One can pick the fish, choose the preparation and sides.Special Features:
- Tasting Boards are the way to go!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/9/2014We had another excellent experience at The Tavern this week. No small detail is ever overlooked.Special Features:
- The TavernKay123Dined on 10/8/2014Excellent dining experience. Food outstanding.. bit too noisy early on as it thinned out it was better. Service was good. Desserts were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!JustmeDined on 10/8/2014Very good food - one of my favorites! Love the tasting boards which give you a sample of 4 different menu items so you don't have to choose just one! Make a reservation - it's not a huge space and tables fill up quickly!Special Features:
- Great time at the TavernFoodie4lifeDined on 10/4/2014Spent a lovely evening eating wonderful food at the Tavern Kitchen. Food was excellent, beautifully presented and well-prepared. Their new menu includes several "tasting boards" which offers diners a chance to sample multiple entrees. Their selection of seafood is extensive and can be prepared in a variety of ways. Appetizers were varied and tasty. The dessert menu was extensive and offered a wonderful variety. The wine list was long and unique with good selections. The only complaint for the evening was that it was fairly loud and very warm in the room where we were seated. Otherwise it was a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tanyaDined on 10/4/2014Filet minion was tasteless, no spices it all. Food is overpriced. Service and food presentation is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- returning favoriteSusieat6Dined on 10/3/2014Have been to The Tavern 7-8 times in the past year and every time the food has been exceptional! Menu changed this week so a bit confusing but overall one of the best around! Keep up the good work!Special Features:
- Great food and great serviceJB2747Dined on 10/3/2014We don't often get to dine without kids, but it was so nice to enjoy a wonderful dinner at the Tavern. Great food - salmon and mahi mahi were so fresh....and the service is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable experience!LuvSLAMDined on 9/28/2014We became of The Tavern through Open Plate (we live in Edwardsville) and went there after theatre at Stages in Kirkwood. The food and the service were both very good and we would recommend it others for an enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:
- Futbol2014Dined on 9/27/2014The Tavern Kitchen and Bar is terrific. All of our dishes were outstanding and the place is buzzing with lively noise. The food is outstanding and the atmosphere makes it a great experience.Special Features:
- Fab food and a great wait staffDiane711Dined on 9/24/2014This has been one of our favorite places since they started. Everyone that works there is very welcoming and quite knowledgeable about both food and drink. They have a great wine list and drink menu, not big on beer, so I can't speak to that. The food is superb. I highly recommend the chicken saltimbocca! Everyone we bring here has also enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business DinnerHibrowfoodieDined on 9/24/2014Held a recent business dinner at this location. Food was OUTSTANDING! I recommend the appetizer sampler along with the house specialty Imperial; filet topped with lump crab meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/20/2014Our experience at the Tavern was outstanding. The service was wonderful. I have recommended the restaurant to friends and family after our great time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tavern Kitchen and BargoodfdDined on 9/20/2014Great food and great service!! The place was empty when we arrived at 615pm but was packed at 745pm. The bar seating was more vibrate than the dining room and next time will probably eat in the bar area. Will defiantly go back!!Special Features:
- As always, Superb!BillVIPDined on 9/18/2014We've eaten here both for dinner and lunch. The food and service is always outstanding. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!mbaccpDined on 9/16/2014If you appreciate great food, creatively prepared and fantastic service, The Tavern is the place for you. All I can say is outstanding! Put this place on your short list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeSean23Dined on 9/13/2014My wife and I had a great meal here on a Saturday night. The food was great, well prepared, and well thought out. This restaurant has a Gluten free menu, and GF items seem to be regular menu items, slightly adjusted when necessary in the background ordering process. This is a fantastic feature for those who need to be GF for health reasons. It was really nice to be able to eat at a foodie restaurant as a couple without having to ask a million questions.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Service and wait staff were fabulous. Very informative on menu offerings and had good suggestions. All four entrees at our table were excellent.Special Features:
- Amazing first timeFoodieMpressdDined on 9/5/2014Our first time came highly recommended by friends to try The Taver. Menu was amazing, shared boards is a great concept for high end dining with a comfort feeling. Service was excellent and personal. Felt like I have been coming to the Resturant for years and that is the staff that made us feel like we were home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!LovetocookVIPDined on 8/31/2014Don't miss the wine specials on Sunday! What a deal. The fish is exceptional and the service friendly and warm! Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.