The Tavern Kitchen and Bar
2961 Dougherty Ferry Rd. Suite 101
Saint Louis, MO 63122Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Tavern Kitchen and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://tavernstl.com/
- Phone: 6368250600x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm Closed lunches
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Justin Haifley & Steve Caravelli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Please Contact General Manager Salvatore Palazzo (636) 825-0600
A word from The Tavern Kitchen and Bar
The Tavern Kitchen & Bar showcases Chef Justin Haifley's minimalist approach to exquisite comfort food by offering a unique dining experience with beautiful private dining rooms, an inviting bar and an exhibition style kitchen. Open for dinner 7 nights a week, The Tavern offers something for every palate from fresh market fish and an award winning burger to vegetarian and gluten free items.Continued
The Tavern STL is exquisite comfort food with flavors you know artfully reinvented.
The Tavern STL is exquisite comfort food with flavors you know artfully reinvented.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Tavern Kitchen and Bar - Best Restaurants in Kirkwood ›
The Tavern Kitchen and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (128)special occasion (116)neighborhood gem (111)good for groups (54)romantic (52)hot spot (38)notable wine list (23)vibrant bar scene (23)late-night find (5)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great TimeSean23Dined on 9/13/2014My wife and I had a great meal here on a Saturday night. The food was great, well prepared, and well thought out. This restaurant has a Gluten free menu, and GF items seem to be regular menu items, slightly adjusted when necessary in the background ordering process. This is a fantastic feature for those who need to be GF for health reasons. It was really nice to be able to eat at a foodie restaurant as a couple without having to ask a million questions.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Service and wait staff were fabulous. Very informative on menu offerings and had good suggestions. All four entrees at our table were excellent.Special Features:
- Amazing first timeFoodieMpressdDined on 9/5/2014Our first time came highly recommended by friends to try The Taver. Menu was amazing, shared boards is a great concept for high end dining with a comfort feeling. Service was excellent and personal. Felt like I have been coming to the Resturant for years and that is the staff that made us feel like we were home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/31/2014Don't miss the wine specials on Sunday! What a deal. The fish is exceptional and the service friendly and warm! Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cnwood51Dined on 8/30/2014Outstanding food and service. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:
- Simply amazing...as always!elniemannDined on 8/30/2014Delicious, wonderful, perfect, fun, great wait staff!!!!Special Features:
- It's a gem - best mea lin years!!!redcatDined on 8/30/2014Everything about our visit was perfect. The food was fabulous. In my reservation I said we were treating a friend as a thank you gesture and the staff addressed him by name repeatedly. It was a very nice gesture on top of great service and attention. We will go back more often that we have - it's a gem.Special Features:
- 50thOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Had 50th Bday. Food was great. Drink was Great and staff were Very helpful. Great Night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific RestaurantHirschwritesVIPDined on 8/27/2014Get a Plank to sample an array of dishes. We had seafood plank and surf & turf plank. Both excellent. Great wait staff. Energetic and fun. A definite "yes" for coming backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best burgerNOLAloveVIPDined on 8/26/2014Our favorite place to grab a burger and beer in the bar. Delicious as usual, wonderful friendly service.Special Features:
- Repeat customer in the makingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The food was amazing! We had the filet loco moco and the meatloaf. The biscuits were fabulous. The drinks were fantastic! Our server was really great, providing recommendations when requested. She did not steer us wrong. Besides being a little louder than I expected, this place is definitely in my top 3 restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/22/2014Our first dinner was fantastic. Some of the best seafood we've had since moving to St Louis 2 years ago. And we can't wait to go back for the donuts! Service was excellent as well... she was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. Recommending to all our friends, and we'll be back soon!Special Features:
- Hot StuffSchtugDined on 8/22/2014This is without a doubt the "Go To" favorite for me and my wife. Great food, and friendly, knowlegable service. The Tasting Boards are a "Don't Miss"Special Features:
- All around excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014The food was terrific and had a very helpful and attentive staff. I would highly recommend the tavern and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Find in St Louis to Date......Amore4YouVIPDined on 8/17/2014We get to St Louis 2 to 3 times per year and always try to find something new, and hit a few for sure spots. This is the new for sure spot. WOW!!! Excellent everything. Changed our party from 4 to 7 last minute and they worked it out. Tavern Kitchen and Bar is the total package.Special Features:
- Superb fish1234Dined on 8/16/2014I would deffinently recommend anyone to come here. The food is really yummy. I love the caulk board mix and match. I loved the halibut with the curry coconut sauce!!!! Wonderful. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Consistently Terrific NightOdieDined on 8/15/2014We dine here frequently because it is so consistently outstanding. Last night was no exception. The server was wonderful. Trout was sensational. Dinner for four a good value. Odie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnerLilyDined on 8/13/2014I order something different every time I visit and I've never been disappointed. Great seafood options. Very creative dinner menu and always something new to try on the specials board. Staff is extremely knowledgeable and friendly, from the hostess to the bus staff. Love the open kitchen. Interesting cocktails and desserts, too. Try the donuts! Slightly noisy room, but not enough to be a bother. A little pricier than other restaurants in the immediate area, but you get what you pay for. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- One of our favorite placesgoodtimepalsVIPDined on 8/10/2014This place is a regular for us. It's a little pricey but well worth it. The staff is great...very attentive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Fabulous serviceOpenTablePKDined on 8/10/2014Being our first time dining here, they gave us a free appetizer and also a dessert for our wedding anniversary. Our waitress was awesome and very knowledgeable about the menu making numerous recommendations to our questions. The manager and a few other workers stopped by at various times during the dinner (but not so much to be annoying) and they all made sure we were having a special night with every need cared for. Easily added to the top 5 places for a nite out in STL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NeighborhoodLadyDined on 8/10/2014The Tavern has become my favorite restaurant in St Louis for the time being. The restaurant staff is very welcoming. Patrons are pouring into this restaurant and yet the staff does a very good job of honoring reservations, providing good service, and offering an innovative menu. Love The Tavern.Special Features:
- Great meal every timeDineAroundSTLDined on 8/8/2014Have been here several times - couple, 2 couples, large group- and the food and service has always been great. The consistent seafood options plus specials make it a go-to for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale DiningsupremeshopperDined on 8/8/2014We couldn't have asked for a better experience. We were seated immediately at the exact time of our reservation. Warm parmesan bread was served as soon as we sat down. A waiter greeted us and found that this was our first time at the restaurant. He bent over backwards to explain the menu and our choices. The restaurant is known for its trio of dishes where you get a sample of three of their entrees in smaller proportions. Fresh fish with a variety of serving styles and sauces is available. Desserts are made while you dine so the order is placed before your meal is finished. A bottle of wine will be sold for the price of a glass of wine on Sundays and Mondays through October. Pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BurgerDinnerfortwoDined on 8/8/2014There are a lot of things to choose from and a lot of higher end items. I got the burger, which is the lowest price on the entrée portion of the menu - it was great! Cooked well and the seasoning was great. The wait staff was good - very attentive to water getting low and needs, maybe at times too attentive. Would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014The food was unbelievable as always. In my opinion this is the best restaurant in St. Louis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a surpriseChicagoVIPDined on 8/6/2014This place took us by surprise. First it's in a strip mall and you wouldn't even notice it. However try not to miss it everything is great and prpepared with a little twist. Service is exceptional and we will be back.Special Features:
- Just OKTexDocDined on 8/3/2014Had read all of the reviews and thought it would be worth a try. While the service was remarkable, they had over booked & our table was not ready. We had the choice of waiting 30 minutes or eating at a table in the bar area. We chose the latter option. Much to our dissapointment, the kitchen was out of a number if dishes. What we did have was truly "just okay" - not spectacular & certainly not what we expected.
- The tavernEatoutDined on 8/3/2014We chose this restaurant for a special occasion, having had a very good experience on a previous visit. Our reservation was made via open table but did not show we were to be seated at bar style table in the bar. Surprisingly the chairs were more comfortable than most. Problematic was that they had had a busy weekend and 50% of the fish dishes were unavailable. Quite a few other items were unavailable also. In spite of that, the food was good and the service was excellent. Note: they have no sugar free desserts or "healthy" food choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014The wait staff here are outstanding and seem as if they actually enjoy their job. We had a 6 p.m. Reservation on. Saturday and when we arrived, not very crowded. When we left at 7:15, it was packed! But best of all, they have an excellent gluten free menu so I didn't feel deprived at all. In addition to the famous bread, they brought out yummy steamed edamame pods to snack on - terrific. Will be back soon and often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat out West CountyeatoutchicagoDined on 8/1/2014Visited The Tavern on a Friday night at 7 pm. Found the staff warm, helpful and welcoming. Meal was delicious. Loved the sampling plates, and the restaurants focus on fish. Service was outstanding and the ambiance of the restaurant was casual but chic. Really enjoyed our dining experience, although be aware that the restaurant is on the pricey side.Special Features:
- My New Favorite Restaurant!KayLayStLDined on 8/1/2014My husband and I had heard about this restaurant from several friends, but just hadn't gotten around to trying it until now. We absolutely loved it! We got two of the "Tasting Boards" and shared them, and it was so fun to get to try 8 different dishes. My husband was able to use this method to pick a favorite, so now when we go back, he'll know what entrée to order. I like the variety of four different dishes on each "board," and would definitely use this method again. My favorite part about the experience, though, was that for an upscale restaurant, the staff was SO nice and down-to-earth. I'm used to staff in these types of restaurants being a little aloof, but none of that here! We loved our experience and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dwm12Dined on 7/27/2014With a couple glasses of wine, salads, entrees, and shared dessert, you're looking at a bit over a bill... but I have to say, it was a dining experience worth the money.Special Features:
- Great Birthday DinnerBallwinResDined on 7/26/2014The Tavern is consistently outstanding, both in the quality of its food and the competence of its staff. We celebrated a birthday in one of their two wine rooms and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. I heartily recommend the Tavern. Every visit we've made has been memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never failsellieLDined on 7/25/2014The Tavern is consistently delivering with some of the best preparation of seafood, steak and comfort food around town. Our waitress made the meal even better with her humor, food recommendations and flawless service. Love the truffle mac and cheese as a side, and we never pass the donut holes dipped in maple whipped cream with bacon! My scallops were tender, smoky and plentiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as usualTomcoDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I had another great meal. Service is always exceptional. Lobster ravioli and Boston clam chowder were fabulous. And we can never leave without the homemade donuts with cream, yum.Special Features:
- AnniversaryDined on 7/23/2014Best food that I have had in a long time! A tad heavy on the sauces, I had a tasting board, but still amazing. Service was top notch! Wish I could remember our servers name!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperiencegoodtimepalsVIPDined on 7/22/2014The Tavern is a regular haunt for us. The food is great, the servers are attentive and knowledgeable. It's an all around enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Food was outstanding!mariekDined on 7/19/2014We have been wanting to try Tavern for years and were finally able to get a reservation last week. Everything we ordered was excellent - especially the Seafood Board, scallops with pork belly, the truffle mac and cheese (OMG!!!) and the tater tots. We rarely go back to restaurants, even if we like them, but will definitely visit Tavern again - so many dishes to try! Our server was excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't be beatMattWDined on 7/17/2014The Tavern is awesome, the food , the service, all of it. Get a seat at the kitchen for a ring side seat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite St. Loud restaurant.JKuss80Dined on 7/17/2014The Tavern is outstanding, plain and simple. From the fish menu, to the tasting boards, to the open kitchen, and finally the desserts. This place is a must for any foodie. My experiences here have been nothing short of awesome and a The Tavern has become THE place for celebrations or special nights out for me wife and I. Don't miss the Char Sui Pork Steak, the Tavern Burger (with bacon jam), and the house made donuts. Besides the food, the restaurant itself is a hip but laid back space and the wait staff is friendly, helpful, and well informed about the menu. 5 stars!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.