The Tavern Kitchen and Bar
2961 Dougherty Ferry Rd. Suite 101
Saint Louis, MO 63122Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Tavern Kitchen and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://tavernstl.com/
- Phone: 6368250600x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm Closed lunches
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Justin Haifley & Steve Caravelli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Please Contact General Manager Salvatore Palazzo (636) 825-0600
A word from The Tavern Kitchen and Bar
The Tavern Kitchen & Bar showcases Chef Justin Haifley's minimalist approach to exquisite comfort food by offering a unique dining experience with beautiful private dining rooms, an inviting bar and an exhibition style kitchen. Open for dinner 7 nights a week, The Tavern offers something for every palate from fresh market fish and an award winning burger to vegetarian and gluten free items.Continued
The Tavern STL is exquisite comfort food with flavors you know artfully reinvented.
The Tavern STL is exquisite comfort food with flavors you know artfully reinvented.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Tavern Kitchen and Bar - Best Restaurants in Kirkwood ›
The Tavern Kitchen and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
160 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (125)neighborhood gem (102)special occasion (97)good for groups (50)hot spot (37)romantic (35)notable wine list (20)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- DK1064DK1064Dined on 10/16/2014The Tavern performed up to our expectations as always. Alex welcomed us upon arrival and we knew we were in the right place. It had been too long between visits. Erin was great with the new seasonal menu, her recommendations were spot on, The JH Trio and Surf Plank were our dinner choices, and were just fantastic. An explosion of good flavors and sampling. The staff and all the help are enthusiastic and caring and it is reflected in the service they provide. The "company" has done a great job with their hiring practices. We always recommend the Tavern as a great place for a special dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/12/2014Second trip to this fine restaurant. Food is delicious and lots of gluten free options too. Service and server were top notch. We look forward to dining here again.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedGDRFDined on 10/11/2014Dined there for the first Saturday night. Expected that the good reviews might be overrated but we were pleasantly surprised at the fresh food and inventive menu. We will certainly go back regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeafoodericpagVIPDined on 10/10/2014Loved the new seafood menu! One can pick the fish, choose the preparation and sides.Special Features:
- Tasting Boards are the way to go!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/9/2014We had another excellent experience at The Tavern this week. No small detail is ever overlooked.Special Features:
- The TavernKay123Dined on 10/8/2014Excellent dining experience. Food outstanding.. bit too noisy early on as it thinned out it was better. Service was good. Desserts were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!JustmeDined on 10/8/2014Very good food - one of my favorites! Love the tasting boards which give you a sample of 4 different menu items so you don't have to choose just one! Make a reservation - it's not a huge space and tables fill up quickly!Special Features:
- Great time at the TavernFoodie4lifeDined on 10/4/2014Spent a lovely evening eating wonderful food at the Tavern Kitchen. Food was excellent, beautifully presented and well-prepared. Their new menu includes several "tasting boards" which offers diners a chance to sample multiple entrees. Their selection of seafood is extensive and can be prepared in a variety of ways. Appetizers were varied and tasty. The dessert menu was extensive and offered a wonderful variety. The wine list was long and unique with good selections. The only complaint for the evening was that it was fairly loud and very warm in the room where we were seated. Otherwise it was a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tanyaDined on 10/4/2014Filet minion was tasteless, no spices it all. Food is overpriced. Service and food presentation is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- returning favoriteSusieat6Dined on 10/3/2014Have been to The Tavern 7-8 times in the past year and every time the food has been exceptional! Menu changed this week so a bit confusing but overall one of the best around! Keep up the good work!Special Features:
- Great food and great serviceJB2747Dined on 10/3/2014We don't often get to dine without kids, but it was so nice to enjoy a wonderful dinner at the Tavern. Great food - salmon and mahi mahi were so fresh....and the service is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable experience!LuvSLAMDined on 9/28/2014We became of The Tavern through Open Plate (we live in Edwardsville) and went there after theatre at Stages in Kirkwood. The food and the service were both very good and we would recommend it others for an enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:
- Futbol2014Dined on 9/27/2014The Tavern Kitchen and Bar is terrific. All of our dishes were outstanding and the place is buzzing with lively noise. The food is outstanding and the atmosphere makes it a great experience.Special Features:
- Fab food and a great wait staffDiane711Dined on 9/24/2014This has been one of our favorite places since they started. Everyone that works there is very welcoming and quite knowledgeable about both food and drink. They have a great wine list and drink menu, not big on beer, so I can't speak to that. The food is superb. I highly recommend the chicken saltimbocca! Everyone we bring here has also enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business DinnerHibrowfoodieDined on 9/24/2014Held a recent business dinner at this location. Food was OUTSTANDING! I recommend the appetizer sampler along with the house specialty Imperial; filet topped with lump crab meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/20/2014Our experience at the Tavern was outstanding. The service was wonderful. I have recommended the restaurant to friends and family after our great time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tavern Kitchen and BargoodfdDined on 9/20/2014Great food and great service!! The place was empty when we arrived at 615pm but was packed at 745pm. The bar seating was more vibrate than the dining room and next time will probably eat in the bar area. Will defiantly go back!!Special Features:
- As always, Superb!BillVIPDined on 9/18/2014We've eaten here both for dinner and lunch. The food and service is always outstanding. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!mbaccpDined on 9/16/2014If you appreciate great food, creatively prepared and fantastic service, The Tavern is the place for you. All I can say is outstanding! Put this place on your short list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeSean23Dined on 9/13/2014My wife and I had a great meal here on a Saturday night. The food was great, well prepared, and well thought out. This restaurant has a Gluten free menu, and GF items seem to be regular menu items, slightly adjusted when necessary in the background ordering process. This is a fantastic feature for those who need to be GF for health reasons. It was really nice to be able to eat at a foodie restaurant as a couple without having to ask a million questions.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Service and wait staff were fabulous. Very informative on menu offerings and had good suggestions. All four entrees at our table were excellent.Special Features:
- Amazing first timeFoodieMpressdDined on 9/5/2014Our first time came highly recommended by friends to try The Taver. Menu was amazing, shared boards is a great concept for high end dining with a comfort feeling. Service was excellent and personal. Felt like I have been coming to the Resturant for years and that is the staff that made us feel like we were home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!LovetocookVIPDined on 8/31/2014Don't miss the wine specials on Sunday! What a deal. The fish is exceptional and the service friendly and warm! Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cnwood51Dined on 8/30/2014Outstanding food and service. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:
- Simply amazing...as always!elniemannDined on 8/30/2014Delicious, wonderful, perfect, fun, great wait staff!!!!Special Features:
- It's a gem - best mea lin years!!!redcatDined on 8/30/2014Everything about our visit was perfect. The food was fabulous. In my reservation I said we were treating a friend as a thank you gesture and the staff addressed him by name repeatedly. It was a very nice gesture on top of great service and attention. We will go back more often that we have - it's a gem.Special Features:
- 50thOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Had 50th Bday. Food was great. Drink was Great and staff were Very helpful. Great Night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific RestaurantHirschwritesVIPDined on 8/27/2014Get a Plank to sample an array of dishes. We had seafood plank and surf & turf plank. Both excellent. Great wait staff. Energetic and fun. A definite "yes" for coming backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best burgerNOLAloveVIPDined on 8/26/2014Our favorite place to grab a burger and beer in the bar. Delicious as usual, wonderful friendly service.Special Features:
- Repeat customer in the makingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The food was amazing! We had the filet loco moco and the meatloaf. The biscuits were fabulous. The drinks were fantastic! Our server was really great, providing recommendations when requested. She did not steer us wrong. Besides being a little louder than I expected, this place is definitely in my top 3 restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/22/2014Our first dinner was fantastic. Some of the best seafood we've had since moving to St Louis 2 years ago. And we can't wait to go back for the donuts! Service was excellent as well... she was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. Recommending to all our friends, and we'll be back soon!Special Features:
- Hot StuffSchtugDined on 8/22/2014This is without a doubt the "Go To" favorite for me and my wife. Great food, and friendly, knowlegable service. The Tasting Boards are a "Don't Miss"Special Features:
- All around excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014The food was terrific and had a very helpful and attentive staff. I would highly recommend the tavern and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Find in St Louis to Date......Amore4YouVIPDined on 8/17/2014We get to St Louis 2 to 3 times per year and always try to find something new, and hit a few for sure spots. This is the new for sure spot. WOW!!! Excellent everything. Changed our party from 4 to 7 last minute and they worked it out. Tavern Kitchen and Bar is the total package.Special Features:
- Superb fish1234Dined on 8/16/2014I would deffinently recommend anyone to come here. The food is really yummy. I love the caulk board mix and match. I loved the halibut with the curry coconut sauce!!!! Wonderful. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Consistently Terrific NightOdieDined on 8/15/2014We dine here frequently because it is so consistently outstanding. Last night was no exception. The server was wonderful. Trout was sensational. Dinner for four a good value. Odie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnerLilyDined on 8/13/2014I order something different every time I visit and I've never been disappointed. Great seafood options. Very creative dinner menu and always something new to try on the specials board. Staff is extremely knowledgeable and friendly, from the hostess to the bus staff. Love the open kitchen. Interesting cocktails and desserts, too. Try the donuts! Slightly noisy room, but not enough to be a bother. A little pricier than other restaurants in the immediate area, but you get what you pay for. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- One of our favorite placesgoodtimepalsVIPDined on 8/10/2014This place is a regular for us. It's a little pricey but well worth it. The staff is great...very attentive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Fabulous serviceOpenTablePKDined on 8/10/2014Being our first time dining here, they gave us a free appetizer and also a dessert for our wedding anniversary. Our waitress was awesome and very knowledgeable about the menu making numerous recommendations to our questions. The manager and a few other workers stopped by at various times during the dinner (but not so much to be annoying) and they all made sure we were having a special night with every need cared for. Easily added to the top 5 places for a nite out in STL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NeighborhoodLadyDined on 8/10/2014The Tavern has become my favorite restaurant in St Louis for the time being. The restaurant staff is very welcoming. Patrons are pouring into this restaurant and yet the staff does a very good job of honoring reservations, providing good service, and offering an innovative menu. Love The Tavern.Special Features: