The Tavern at River Falls
10128 River Road
Potomac, MD 20854Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Tavern at River Falls
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thetavernatriverfalls.com/
- Phone: (301) 299-0481
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 11:30am - 9:30pm, Thursday - Saturday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Wine Bar, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jimmy Monge
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Tavern at River Falls
Located in the heart of Potomac Village; The Tavern at River Falls provides Modern American Cuisine utilizing the freshest ingredients in a Relaxed, Neighborhood atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
The Tavern at River Falls - Best Restaurants in Potomac ›
The Tavern at River Falls reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)great for lunch (18)fit for foodies (18)great for outdoor dining (11)special occasion (6)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (5)romantic (5)great for brunch (5)good for groups (4)hot spot (4)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/20/2014Our first dinner at the Tavern was better than expected (we like next door Renato). The "Cadillac" crab cakes were excellent. My wife liked the composed salad she had as an appetizer. I was not so thrilled with my own appetizer (it included chips I found too greasy and cheesy) but the "steak-frites" was good. The menu is a tad too short especially for entrees. Yet we liked the place and the waiters (quiet and efficient). One big plus: the Tavern is close to home. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Even Better ServiceHomelyVIPDined on 11/7/2014This has become our regular date night spot. Whether you want a lovely sit down meal or a quick bite at the bar with a friendly bartender serving you, The Tavern fits the bill. The regular menu always satisfies and the specials lend terrific, well executed variety. Service wonderful, especially if you are fortunate enough to have Nat tend to you. Great neighborhood gem for any occasion.Special Features:
- AnonymousVIPDined on 10/20/2014Excellent meal and service. Delightful atmosphere. High-quality, fresh ingredients -- everything tasted home-made. Thoughtful and creative preparation and presentation. Definitely will return and recommend to friends.Special Features:
- Great ambiance!bulldogmomDined on 10/4/2014This place has great environment; perfect for a date night or out with friends. Only downside was that the prices are high.Special Features:
- Outstanding seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/28/2014Best quality tuna sashimi appetizer I have ever had! Also had excellent mussels and hubby had wonderful crab cakes.Special Features:
- Nice Lunch SpotGreatVarietyVIPDined on 9/25/2014Good place to meet for business or a personal meet and greet. Good food (veg grilled cheese was great) and great location if you are local in potomac or west bethesda. Menu items little pricier than other restaurants in area, but the offerings are different than other places.Special Features:
- Only problem=noise and it's hotMarieDined on 9/12/2014Food great, and had great cocktail called Dirty Pearl-- cucumber vodka , lemonade; really refreshing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GREAT Meal...!AlanVIPDined on 9/8/2014We ate in one of their booths around the bar... very cosy! The food was good as were the drinks. It was just right... Their crab cakes were excellent, and their fish tacos good too! Always a delightful evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and ManagementOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/3/2014disappointed in lack of Hostess, Management and Service. Rudeness and/or lack of common sense from host staff; why would you seat a 77 year old at a bar table when plenty tables were available in the main dining room, and then after insistence upon sitting in dining room seat our party next to all the large parties when several empty tables were open the entire time we dined. Not worth the price!
- Great crab cakesMurrayDined on 8/30/2014The Tavern has extraordinarily good crab cakes. The tarter sauce is home made and far superior to that in other restaurants. Normally I dislike tarter sauce, but this one is loaded with veggies. It goes well with the crab cakes, although the cakes do not need anything; they are great as is. Wine selection is pretty good, though not huge. Desserts were good, but not as good as the main dishes. One issue -- the crab cakes came with frittes. I was charged few dollars to replace these with another vegetable. They made the switch cheerfully, but said there would be a charge. With many folks watching their carbs, I think switching to a veggie on the menu should not incur an added cost. In any case, we will return to The Tavern again and again.Special Features:
- Great FindLuvgoodfoodDined on 8/9/2014We were pleasantly surprised by the interesting menu choices and delicious fish at this local restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DavidVIPDined on 8/8/2014Limited menu. Fish was overly salty and oily (too much butter). No great find. No great bargain.Special Features:
- Good Time at Tavern at River FallsWilliedellVIPDined on 8/1/2014We had a party of six and everyone commented how good the food was. Very pleased with the entire expereience.
- The following 106 reviews are from the The Tavern at River Falls reviews archive.
- Great dining except for:ADMBastilleafficianadoDined on 7/25/2014We have dined here several times, enjoyably, with and without guests. For this occasion, I made dinner reservations for my daughter and son-in-law in from Florida. For some reason, their service was not timely - several others who were seated after them were served more rapidly than they and one couple finished and departed. This delay was abit annoying and had them cooling their heels for an extended time. I will assume either their server had not put in their order in a timely fashion or the kitchen had run out of Cadillac Crabcakes (highly unlikely). Anyway, let's assume this was the one time exception to the Tavern's otherwise stellar service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- improvedPopcornVIPDined on 7/24/2014The menu selections and prices are improved! Staff is friendly, not the most amazing service but they get the job done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointedVIPDined on 7/23/2014I had eaten here before and found it very good. This time, items were cold and the lamb was tastless
- Awful serviceLuv2dineVIPDined on 7/23/2014Been here several times and never had a problem. This time the waiter was absolutely awful: brought us one menu for four people, didn't come back to the table for 40 minutes to take our order, brought 3 of the 4 dishes and made one of us wait another 10 min before he brought the other meal. When we made comments about these issues as they were happening he was not at all apologetic. In fact he didn't seem to care in the least. He bordered on rude and put out. Our food was fine but it was an awful dining experience dealing with his ineptitude and lack of interest.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good "go-to" date night dinnerFoodieMomVIPDined on 7/12/2014We eat at The Tavern every few months, in part because it rarely disappoints, and because we don't have to drive to Bethesda or downtown. This time, however, they were out of my favorite wine :( and took the sea bass off the menu :( :( But, the tuna tartare appetizer was amazing as was the Maryland crab soup. I tried the Cobia fish, which was a little dry (especially compared to sea bass), but still tasty. Our friends loved the fish tacos! The waitstaff is always professional and courteous - they know when to come check in and when you leave you to talk. I always have a great evening at The Tavern and will definitely be back.Special Features:
- noisedinningVIPDined on 7/10/2014they need to work on the noise level in the main dinningSpecial Features:
- Fresh Seafood-Reasonable PricesDaltoVIPDined on 7/9/2014Worth the trouble finding a spot at lunchtime! Great food and reasonable prices. Go now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tavern never disappointssurfergirlVIPDined on 7/8/2014Nice booth; fish tacos are always a hit! Could live without yucca fries. Tavern salad with chicken very satisfying. Not sure why fries are atop a salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fun dinnerMcxfourDined on 6/28/2014Of all the exotic sophisticated dining options in this area, I elected to celebrate my birthday here for the convenience, location and relaxed atmosphere. As anticipated, we had a blast, focused on the conversation and laughs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and Food topnotchOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/22/2014Fresh food, perfectly cooked and nicely presented. Flawless service across the board. Server was never pushy, we ordered our drinks and appetizers and she timed her request for the entrée order perfectly. Nice summer cocktail selection. Tasty desserts and special mention to a well-executed espresso (not a commonplace in all restaurants, sadly!).
- Great lunchlizpeteDined on 6/22/2014We all chose the same item- tuna- and were equally thrilled. The service is lovely and the restaurant quiet so it was a perfect meal.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood diningRomanticDined on 5/31/2014This was our first time after several friends recommended this restaurant. The grouper special was outstanding as was the steak and frites and pecan pie. A very modern decor with back lit wall pictures and kaleidoscope changing motifs. I like that it is in our neighborhood.Special Features:
- Location/ambiance, good. Food - eh.ReviewerDined on 5/31/2014Nice location, easy to park, outside eating nice. Found food pretty mediocre.
- ocgirlDined on 5/28/2014Food was excellent as always. Service was spotty at best.Special Features:
- Well-hidden place for casual lunchKevinVIPDined on 5/25/2014We've got to this place for Sunday lunch only because our first choice - Old Angler's Inn was completely booked. Without OpenTable the restaurant would be hard to find because it is tucked between two wings of a strip mall in Potomac village. This may no be good for business, but good for those who already know the place. The two wings create a cosy court with outdoor dining tables under the shade of mature trees. Overall, the service was great, the food was also very good. Their wine list appear to interesting, so I presume this place could also be good for dinner. Will explore this next time.Special Features:
- good eats!sueBDined on 5/22/2014Casual restaurant to great and meet. Love to be able to support our local venues!Special Features:
- Not as good as usualBethesda1VIPDined on 5/21/2014I love The Tavern at River Falls for its service and generally high quality when it comes to food. I have eaten there many times for lunch and dinner and this was the first time I had a disappointing experience. Having said that, you might have loved what I found to be sort of mediocre for the price, which was the "Whale" Soft Shell Crabs. The flavor of the crabmeat was so-so and the frying was a bit heavy handed so that I felt they were overly greasy. I have never been a big fan of their cole slaw, and normally that wouldn't be as issue except for the fact that the crab needed something to really complement it. So, I won't be ordering the "Whale" crabs again, but would always order the miso Chilean Sea Bass special when available.Special Features:
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2014I had a great experience at the Tavern at Great Falls. The service was excellent from the time we walked, until we left. The waiter was very knowledgeable of the menu and helped to make some great food choices, based on his recommendations. He also noticed that I was cold and immediately turned down the air (we were sitting near a vent)! The manager came to our table a couple of times to check on us and make sure we were enjoying ourselves and the food. All of the food was excellent...we had all 3 courses! I will definitely be visiting the Tavern again!Special Features:
- great restaurant - very pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/11/2014Excellent service Tasty food reservation ready when we got there Nice atmosphere - way to go!Special Features:
- PleasantJayCeeDined on 5/4/2014Six of us had Sunday brunch/lunch and all enjoyed their meal. The Tavern Eggs Benedict was nicely prepared. The service was timely and the atmosphere relaxing. The coffee was excellent but the Mimosa had too much juice and not enough champagne. Overall a very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014We had an excellent meal at the Tavern at River Falls. The service was great... Never felt ignored or rushed. The potstickers were tasty and the calamari was absolutely delicious. The entree prices were reasonable and the portions were just right. Substitutions were hassle-free, too. Two in our party had the fish tacos and they "licked" their plates clean. The trout was very good, but rather ordinary. Vegies were cooked to perfection with just enough snap for my palate. We were able to converse without much distraction. The ambience is very nice inside and they also have a small outdoor area which is great for dining on a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this place!IBB1Dined on 4/18/2014The food it great and the menu interesting. The seating is comfortable and not too crowded. The food is so good you forget you are dining at a neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I made a reservation for two.e4tf00dVIPDined on 4/12/2014I made a reservation for two. We we arrived we were seated at the bar despite my request for a table to the hostess The bar area was loud and not the atmosphere I was hoping for a dining experience with my wife. The food was great. But for spending over $100 on dinner for two people, I would have hoped for a better atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great Food!KLo2Dined on 4/12/2014The food at this restaurant was divine. Beautifully prepared, flavorful and nicely plated. The service was good. Initially the hostess incorrectly gave us lunch menus. We were seated by a well used door. Once those issues were solved, the server was good but not attentive. Had to specifically ask for service. We were in no hurry; just needed to ask for little things. They were brought in a timely manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and fun place to dineKellieGDined on 4/12/2014We celebrated a birthday with their amazing duck chips - if you haven't tried them ... run, don't walk and get yours now! Throw in a margarita and the stresses of the day go away. The Reuben sandwich is stacked and fulfilling, and if there's any room for dessert try the blondie brownie. Love this place - will do take out if in a hurry, or sit back and relax on the patio. Staff is always friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great seafood find!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2014Casual ambiance, with superb seafood and side dishes. Cocktails were unusual and really good. Tavern duck chips sooo good, wanted to lick the plate! Everyone's entrees were simple but perfectly seasoned and prepared. Service was very friendly and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish I could ravesurfergirlVIPDined on 3/25/2014I LOVE Rived Falls Market! Always have! I have TRIED SO HARD to love the Tavern, yet, over and over again, I cannot! The prices for lunch salad with salmon/chicken added approach $24--excessive at lunch. Typically, a woman, at lunch, if a sandwich is ordered, would choose small side salad instead of fries or onion rings. The Tavern has a $2 up charge for tiny side salad if you opt NO FRIED! Bad business in way too many ways! I am SAD cuz I LOVE RF! Not the Tavern (sigh).