519 North Milwaukee
Libertyville, IL 60048Neighborhood:
Mundelein – Vernon Hills - Libertyville
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.libertyvilletavern.com/
- Phone: 8473675755
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: We feature live music at our sister restaurant, The Firkin, located right next door, Tuesday and Thursday nights. Call 847-367-6168.
- Public Transit: The restaurant is one-and-a-half blocks south of the Libertyville station on the Metra Milwaukee District North Line: http://metrarail.com/Sched/md_n/md_n.shtml
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The restaurant faces Milwaukee Ave., but entry is from the municipal parking lot behind the building. Access to the lot is on the north side of Cook Ave., west of Milwaukee.
A word from The Tavern
From hanging glass beads to architectural artifacts and an original Brunswick bar painted in gold and turquoise, this is clearly not your father's steakhouse. The Tavern's menu features USDA prime beef, Australian Wagyu, organically raised Uruguayan beef, and organic free-range chicken, diver-caught Maine sea scallops, assorted fresh fish, cold water Rock Lobster Tails, and in season: oysters from both coasts, the Alaskan king salmon run, live Maryland soft shell crabs, morels, chanterelles, and porcini from hunters in Oregon and Washington, and fresh produce from local county farms. An award-winning wine list featuring over 1,200 selections, a great wine by the glass assortment, and an unusually well-stocked bar round out the Tavern's beverage program. And Now… The Tavern has moved to a new level. In preparation for the soon to be opened Tavern Lounge, The Tavern Dining Room has moved to newly remodeled and redecorated quarters upstairs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (49)neighborhood gem (45)romantic (42)fit for foodies (39)notable wine list (36)vibrant bar scene (10)good for groups (9)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/18/2014Wonderful! Very accommodating to our needs. Fabulous ambiance with a great wine list. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in town? It just might be.TraubenvileDined on 10/16/2014In the unlikely event you're not sure, Tavern is the little place right next door to Firkin - both of which are on the west side of Mainstreet Libertyville, just north of Cook Park. Like Firkin, it has an interesting beer menu (though not as extensive and more heavily reliant on bottles). Unlike Firkin, the focus is fine dining - specifically steak. Wagyu is an available option, but it's nowhere near the best that's available. That said, the "regular old" 8oz filet (for example) is still likely to be one of the best you've ever had. The service is omnipresent without being overbearing. The wine and beer lists are very good. The desserts ...that might be the one weak spot. Still, there's an argument to be had that Tavern is the best in town.Special Features:
- Great ambiance--decent foodlocaldinerDined on 10/13/2014I love the dining room at The Tavern! The decor is straight out of 1890. The wait staff is cheery and competent. Sadly, my wild Alaskan halibut was only so so. My husband's 8 oz prime New York strip was excellent, but he would have preferred to have it without the mushroom sauce.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/11/2014We were seated in a quiet room upstairs which was perfect because we needed to talk. The overall atmosphere was very upbeat. My husband and I had not been there in years and we would go back in a heartbeat!! The 2 guys had the bone in ribeye and said it was done perfectly. I had the pasta with shrimp and scallops -perfect!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkIknowfoodDined on 10/3/2014Very nice atmosphere. Service was excellent. Food was WAY over priced. I hade the Kobe beef. It was over cooked and flavorless. The raw beef appitizer had a huge nerve running through it making half of it a waste. The aspiragus was delicious.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceJayhawkSwedeDined on 10/3/2014Consistently great food and service - we go here most years for our anniversary (and several other times during the year, too!).Special Features:
- Consistently GreatdgompertDined on 10/3/2014Been a year or two since my wife and I had visited this place and it didn't disappoint this time either. Service and Food were fantastic, wine list is quite good as well. It's a little on the expensive side but not outrageously so.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Four people at table all thought food was very mediocre, nothing special. Service was very good. Decor is quite different and UN- impressive. Won't return. If I want to pay $40+ for a steak, I'll go to a great steakhouse.
- TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Selected this restaurant for our 22nd anniversary - really enjoyed the ambience and the food and service were also awesome. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationTobleroneDined on 9/27/2014We have not been to the Tavern in some time and were a little disappointed that the quality of the food was not as good as we remembered. The Sea Bass lacked flavor and the free range chicken was somewhat dry. We did like the Steak Sashimi though. Service was excellent and I was impressed that when the food came out of the kitchen, it was hot, not lukewarm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodDiner2Dined on 9/26/2014We had not been to TheTavern in about 8 years. I found the food to be fantastic and the service excellent. It is a nice spot for a suburban special occasion dinner. Everything was prepared extremely well. The atmosphere is unique but the noise level is quite high. I did not appreciate the greeting from the maître d. As we entered he said, oh your 15 minutes early, we will have to see what we can do. There was only two tables seated, every other table was open. Not a great greeting for a service industry professionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local gemJefeDined on 9/13/2014First time eating here. Ate up stairs where the atmosphere was very nice. Service was very good and wasn't disappointed in anything. It was quiet upstairs compared to eating downstairs where the bar was a lot more energetic. Romantic upstairs and more casual downstairs. Will go back and will recommend to everyone. It is expensive but worth it.Special Features:
- Great nightWiebesRantDined on 9/13/2014Our first time here. I set a reservation via opentable for 4 to celebrate our 25th. The upstairs is incredible, beautiful room. Food was outstanding as was the service. Not to bad on the pocketbook, about $75 per person with a couple drinks each and an APP. Highly recommended for a nice night out for adults.Special Features:
- SPECIAL PLACEMisterBDined on 9/10/2014Wife and I went here for anniversary dinner and were not disappointed. Flamboyant, baroque interior decoration reminiscent of Russian Tea Room. Location upstairs from lounge adds to exclusivity of experience. Multiple crusty breads offered with two spreads. Spectacular menu goes on and on, with plenty of daily specials ... foie gras (her) and pureed artichoke soup (me) were exquisite, followed with dry-aged strip (her) with wild mushrooms, and halibut adorned with asparagus and herbs (me). Steak was grilled extremely rare per her order. Creamed spinach was overly salty, seemed as though it was thickened with grated Parmigiano, the only disappointment; but frankly restaurants are all over the place on that recipe.Special Features:
- deliciouslvillesteakeaterDined on 9/6/2014my date & I both had steaks that were some of the best we've ever eaten. I had the Tavern Filet & it was melt-in-your-mouth delicious. it was my first time having foie gras & I can't believe what I've been missing out on my whole life! my date had the 24 oz bone-in ribeye & he really liked his food too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Classic but...micjDined on 9/6/2014Tavern is ok but very high prices for the quality. Steaks are $45-60, rack of lamb $44. All sides a la carte. That's pretty steep and it's really nothing special to warrant that price. Very old school ambiance (dim, lots of dark wool, etc). The wine list is large but bottle list is filled with very high priced bottles. $39 bottles (lowest I remember) are sparse and many are over $200. The cocktails are very average. Got a Manhattan. It did not use premium bourbon, vermouth or maraschino cherry. This is a "good" restaurant but really needs to be re-tooled either justify the prices or lower the prices. I think if there was another modern "steak house" in the Libertyville, The Tavern, in it's current format, would have to change to survive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014Servers were very attentive--Fernando was amazing. Food was delicious and atmosphere perfect. Great nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for a special nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014We went for our anniversary and it was as classic and predictable as you could ask. The service was top notch, most of the food was off the chart wonderful (one dish was only so-so to our liking. It was perfectly prepared, but just not perfectly to our liking). The wine list was overwhelming. For our ilk, it is a special occasion dinner only. I'm not complaining. I knew what I was getting into.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!MiamiGirlDined on 8/30/2014We went for dinner as a small group. The upstairs feels like an eclectic tavern - mood lighting - with a great ambience for talking and enjoying company. The wine list was great and had affordable, delicious choices! The salmon was to die for....so tasty! We did not have room for dessert this time - but will try to save room next time. The bar area downstairs looked very quaint - set up in cozy groupings. I would like to try that area with the small plates on a girls' night out soobZ. Overall just delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DishwasherBirthdayDined on 8/30/2014The dishwasher must be old. It is very noisy in an otherwise quiet place. Buy a new dishwasher!Special Features:
- Continental BobBobboDined on 8/29/2014Third trip to The Tavern. Each has been quite good. The food is very good and the menu almost too extensive! A bit pricey but worth every penny. Each time we leave the downstairs bar is hopping! Probably the best restaurant in Libertyville and if you seek to impress, they will not let you down.Special Features:
- EngagementMoose24Dined on 8/22/2014I asked my girlfriend to marry me on a Friday night. I had a reservation and spoke with someone about setting up flowers and having a champaigne toast ready. All of this was set up, and they had the flowers I brought placed on the table. The waitstaff was all very nice and police. They said congratulations and made the evening feel very special. The wait-staff bothered us only when we seemed to be wished to be bothered and gave us enough space to enjoy the evening together. Overall we had an amaizing time, and they allowed us to pace our own dinner and enjoy this special eveneing. I would recommend The Tavern to anyone for a special night.Special Features:
- Ideal eveningThirdLakeCoupleDined on 8/21/2014Went there to celebrate my wife's birthday. Had been there once before and thought it a good choice for a special occasion. Staff were friendly and attentive without being intrusive. Great wine list. Food was well prepared and presented.Special Features:
- Exceptional!HakalamaDined on 8/13/2014Great food! Very attentive but not over your shoulder wait staff. Not inexpensive but still a reasanble value for the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Bone in Ribeye I Can RecallBoneDined on 8/8/2014Expensive. Ordered "charred medium". Crispy on the outside and medium perfection on the inside. Most places i oredr my steak like that they balk. Not these folks. Great service. Took care of us with out being all up in our business. Wifey loves the ambience. I am not good at this kinda stuff, but will say old school eclectic. Baubles and wood everywhere with out being obnoxious.Special Features:
- Libertyville GemyogashortyDined on 7/26/2014Tavern is a great place for it's ambience and it's food. The steaks at the upstairs restaurant are melt in your mouth delicious. The quality is what you would find at Morton's but with a lower price tag. The decor is unique and the waitstaff very professional. Great for special occasions. the downstairs has a "lounge like" area for drinks and small appetizers. They have great cheeses to pair with wine. Downstairs is fun for date night or to meet up with other couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top NotchPaulie916Dined on 7/24/2014Another great meal at the Tavern. The food quality is excellent. High grade meats always a special that does not disappoint. The servers are attentive to detail and very present.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit expensiveLikeToTryNewRestVIPDined on 7/18/2014Extensive wine list. Would consider the Tavern best for special occasion. Restaurant was upstairs and did no appear to have handicap access (but may have elevator that I did not see).Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/14/2014The food, drinks, and service were great. Everything was a little more pricey than I expected but it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingDebi625Dined on 7/12/2014We went here for a birthday celebration and the service was absolutely fantastic, and the food followed in greatness!!! Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TavernmetavernDined on 7/7/2014Overpriced. Poor Food quality. Noisy cleaning machinery during dinner
- LOVED IT!diningpairDined on 6/27/2014I've been here before but this was a girls night and it was so much fun! They were friendly, responsive and fun!!!! Would go anytime!Special Features:
- The following 621 reviews are from the The Tavern reviews archive.
- Average for the priceOnlyWithaGiftCertificateDined on 6/24/2014Had a gift cert so took my daughter and her BF. We're not used to this level of dining so didn't know what to expect for the prices. Ladies had the Tavern Chicken, roasted potatoes, vegetables and BF had the Flat Iron steak with mashed. I was surprised how big the serving sizes were but disappointed in the food because dishes we ordered all had an overabundance of oil or butter. I liked the flavor of the chicken but it was sitting in a lot of butter or oil, too rich to finish. Daughter didn't like the sauce on the chicken but the BF said the steak and mashed were good. The toasted bread served w/dip was moldy, found after we ate a few pieces, but was replaced when we told them. Probably won't return, food average for those prices.Special Features:
- It's a steakhouseJayjiaDined on 6/21/2014There wasn't anything wrong with the Tavern, but there was also nothing that blew me away. Considering the prices, I was expecting more blown away. My soft shell crab was tiny. I liked my steak (USDA Prime Delmonico) but my husband thought his Organic NY strip was no better than what we can make at home. The mashed potates looked good and the toping of chips was a nice touch but the potatoes themselves were very lumpy and slightly watery. Lacked the richness we were expecting from a steakhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic vibe, delicious foodCeejay42Dined on 6/14/2014My husband and I like to come here for anniversaries. It's too pricey for a regular date night spot, but great for special occasions. The food is delicious, the ambience is great, and the service is pretty good too! Plus they usually give us a free dessert for our anniversary which is a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fathers Day CelebrationDeanDined on 6/13/2014We went there for an early fathers day celebration. With the festival going on, we were a little late due to parking problems. The staff was accommodating. The service was great, attentive but not overbearing. The food was very good. This was our first time at the Tavern and we will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again!GeorgeDined on 6/12/2014We have been coming here for years & have rarely ben disappointed! The service is superb; the food is always perfect & Tom is an expert on wines! Amazing & incredible once again! The rack of lamb was delicious. Go there & enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected betterEatandbemarryDined on 6/3/2014Loud dining area. Mushroom soup was extremely salty, I couldn't eat it, it also took about a half hour before we received the soup. The "bread" on the table was crostini with a cheese dip. Waitress and service was impeccable, except the length of time it took for the food to come out. Everything is a la carte, and price is on the high end. Salmon was perfect, chicken with mushrooms was just average, as well as the side of potatoes,average. Overall, being quite picky when it comes to food, it was not worth the price. The interior was eclectic and romantic which was nice. Seems as though the wine selection was really nice, although I did not have any.Special Features:
- special nighttigerVIPDined on 5/29/2014Went out for a special anniversary and the service was just not smooth? Interruptions in conversations and just lack of knowledge of fine service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very personal - great serviceWinston1874Dined on 5/20/2014I am out of staye but I've been to the Tavern several times for business diners - this time my wife came along and we had a date night. Fantastic wait staff, very good food, unique dining room. The wild rice side went so well with my dry aged steak. My wife loved the lemon sorbet served in a frozen lemon shell. Great overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.