The Tasting Room
101 North Market Street
Frederick, MD 21701Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Tasting Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thetastingroomrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2403797772
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:45pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Tauraso
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room that seats 6-10 guests. All private room requests will be granted on a first come, first serve basis and must be confirmed over the phone. Any requests for the private dining room made online are subject to availability.
- Private Party Contact: Jarrett Walsh 2403797772
A word from The Tasting Room
Established in 2001, The Tasting Room restaurant and wine bar has earned a reputation as a modern American force in the Frederick area. Combining the essence of Frederick and the modern styles of New York, The Tasting Room provides diners with an experience to remember. Situated in the heart of Frederick"s historic district, The Tasting Room captures the energy of Market St. with floor to ceiling windows and a 180˚ panoramic view. Fresh local ingredients and unwavering consistency have been the benchmarks for this ultra-successful Michael Tauraso establishment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Tasting Room - Best Restaurants in Frederick ›
The Tasting Room reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (72)special occasion (71)neighborhood gem (51)notable wine list (50)great for lunch (30)hot spot (25)vibrant bar scene (25)romantic (22)good for groups (16)great for brunch (7)scenic view (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Always up to Par!!colrayDined on 9/17/2014We live in Northern Va and make a point of coming to The Tasting Room at least 3 or 4 times a year. Food is fantastic. Service is excellent, and above all spectacular wine selections!! The homemade bread pudding and homemade sorbet are on the mark as well!! Take a nice drive and pop on for lunch or dinner - it's worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulNRappDined on 9/13/2014we had a small group of 4 to celebrate my husbands birthday. the food was outstanding, the drinks were excellent. this was our 2nd time and we will definitely come again.Special Features:
- Party of 6DinnerClubDined on 9/13/2014Atmosphere- loved the windows; for a table of 6...room was very loud and couldn't even hear everyone at the table. Food - Delicious EXCEPT for $36 crab cakes...WAY TOO MANY SHELLS!! And no sides for $36?!? (flavor was great though) Service - She was nice except she seemed aggravated if our party was in mid conversation and she wanted/needed something from us. She was very "business"...not very smiley or patient. Overall though, she was good.
- so disappointedJulie123VIPDined on 9/13/2014We had heard great things about the Tasting Room but had a less than optimal experience. The food was not exceptional and for the price, there are much better restaurants. I will say that our server was very good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014We went for lunch. The calamari risotto was different and delicious. The mussels were just ok and the steak, while quite small was very tasty. I belive we ordered wrong, we will definitely be back as the menu is amazing. Our server was very sweet although it took a little while to get that second drink. Overall I would recommend.Special Features:
- My reviewboogsDined on 9/10/2014It was a great place for a first date. The place wasn't crowded and wasn't too loud. The atmosphere was good and the food was tasty, but it think that the menu could expand some.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YeknomDined on 9/5/2014Always great service and great food. Although a little on the noisy side and somewhat cramped I still enjoy going hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wine4dinewine4dineVIPDined on 9/3/2014Always enjoy the food at the TR. Great for lunch and even better for dinner. Loved the paste with lamb sausage.Special Features:
- Tasty-DelightRJM50Dined on 9/1/2014My wife's Birthday had arrived and I was looking for a unique restaurant the she would especially like. The Tasting Room fit the bill. While $$$ on the pricey side our dinners were well proportioned and cooked to perfection. They have an extensive wine list by the glass $$$ or the bottle. I chose the bottle and the Merlot went well with our choices for the main dish. I would recommend this restaurant for anyone wishing to please someone who appreciates anm atmoshphere for finer dining.Special Features:
- Outrageously Goodwilson5065Dined on 8/30/2014Finally got to go to The Tasting Room for dinner. My wife and I were blown away. Service, food, wine, beer and drink options, beautiful decor. There is nothing but great, all the way around. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Tasting roomOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Just a fabulous place ,urban chic,small and close tables but with being caught up with the great food who cares.my wife had the salmon which she said was the best ever.i had the filet was was cooked to order Pittsburgh style and they hit it on the mark. My only negative would be the small sized drinks but I'm really nit picking here.excellent service,caring and attentive but not seen only when needed .we are not from the area but when we visit again we definitely will have reservations at the tasting roomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lousy serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/28/2014The food was incredibly delicious , the wine we selected was great, but the overall atmosphere was lacking. The server had an attitude of arrogance and totally uninterested in " taking care of us". My husband left a tip that was far too generous. Already sent a note by email to the restraurant.
- TR IIcsvjDined on 8/23/2014The Tasting Room surrounds you with a very comfortable setting and matches it with excellent service, a nicely proportioned and presented menu, complemented with an exceptional wine list and specialty beverages. The nicely paced delivery of courses allows you to enjoy your meal while taking-in the activity of downtown Frederick just outside the wrap-around windows. The Tasting Room truly delivers on a very enjoyable luncheon experience.Special Features:
- Best on townOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/23/2014We have tried a number of places in Frederick and this is our favoriteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InnovativeTcbirdDined on 8/22/2014Moroccan spiced rack of Lamb was the real hit of the night. Delicious. . Great cappuccino and dessertSpecial Features:
- A Revisit DisappointswinesnobnotDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I had been here many times in the past but hadn't in a while. We always discovered a new wine and were looking forward to that again for our anniversary dinner. We tried a number of wines but couldn't find a good fit much to the chagrin of our waiter who couldn't understand why we didn't like each of his suggestions. His air of superiority put a damper on the wine experience that was only saved by the rest meal. The filet mignon and the crab cakes, along with the lobster chowder were outstanding. There are many other restaurants in Frederick that also have great food but a better wine selection with waiters without attitude; so we'll not be going back.Special Features:
- A Cut Abovetweety08VIPDined on 8/13/2014I had the filet mignon with mushrooms and it was cooked to perfection! The wine selection was notable and I enjoyed the Malbec. Cody was attentive and efficient. The entire experience was a cut above other restaurants in Frederick and worthy of a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice!PankoVIPDined on 8/13/2014First visit to The Tasting Room, and I was very pleased. I don't normally go "fine dining" midweek, unless I'm traveling. My mother treated for my birthday, however, so that's always an exception. It's an eclectic menu, and there are plenty of dishes I would consider trying on a return weekend visit. The place was quite lively throughout the evening. Service was personable and attentive without being intrusive. The food was prepared well. The house salads were excellent. For our entrees Mom got the cioppino, and really enjoyed it. It looked good, with just the right balance between the base and the seafood. I had the crab cakes with fennel-apple slaw. Not the best by any stretch, but good. I'll return on a Saturday with my wife and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we experienced the TRsuburbanfoodieDined on 8/9/2014We play golf at MusketRidge and look forward to trying the restaurants in historic Frederick. We realized we hadn't tried the TR and decided to venture out. It was well worth the price! A bit noisy but not overbearing….. Recommend to others for a splurge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GallopingGramsDined on 8/9/2014Great place to meet up with long time friends for good food and service . Often bring out of town and international guests to the Tasting Room.Special Features:
- CelebrationRLMcMakinDined on 8/5/2014We visited for the first time celebrating a birthday! All of our meals were outstanding !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeachGuyBeachGuyDined on 8/4/2014Went here for new experience for anniversary dinner. Arrived for reservation and place was packed. Seated immediately, noisy but in a good way. Tables for couples were quite close but conversations with people around us actually helped make the night for food suggestions and comparison of other dining places. Food, great, pricey and different. Wine list rather lengthy and pricey but wine we selected was great. No problems with parking downtown. Would go back.Special Features:
- Wonderful lunchTGE10Dined on 8/4/2014They gave us a private room for our party of ten. That was really special, and we thought the lunch menu was great. Cauliflower soup, not creamed, was especially good as was the chocolate flourless cake for dessert. Several said the hamburgers were excellent and the site-made sorbet delicious.
- Service not on par with food.cedarVIPDined on 8/2/2014Scallop starter was delicious & perfectly cooked. Beef fillet was one of the very best I've ever had. Nice wine selections, too. This is a small place with tables too close together. With the wood floor, glass walls and nearby tables this is a very loud restaurant. It could be much enjoyable and even romantic with a few changes but it was crowded none the less. Service was not nearly as good as I was expecting and that was my biggest disappointment; it was more typical of a diner, IMHO. Our server seemed rushed setting utensils anywhere then turning to do the same at the next table. Our server seemed not to notice how loud the restaurant was and we hardly heard her. I would rather take out than eat in. Don't know when I'll go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!foodie28Dined on 8/2/2014Food was outstanding--two of us had the halibut, one the lamb, and one pasta. The portion sizes were perfect, and the presentation was beautiful. The service was consistent, courteous, and unobtrusive. A terrific night with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pearl56Dined on 8/1/2014Generally you can't go wrong with Tasting Room. Expect a high noise level and on a busy night (like First Saturday) to have close seating. Our latest visit was generally good, though one of the party requested a side vegetable in exchange of the potatoes as she's gluten free, but got potatoes anyway. Unfortunately her filet mignon was also overcooked and had to go back. Halibut was moist and flavorful, but a tad on the salty side. Crab cakes were excellent, no filler and not over seasoned as some places tend to do them. Our server was very attentive but not intrusive and both he and the manager took care of the steak problem very quickly. The filet is always outstanding here, as is their treatment of rockfish, one of my favorites.Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday Meal!FrederickfoodieDined on 8/1/2014I took my wife and mother-in-law to dinner for my wife's birthday! The meal was outstanding as was the service! Our waiter did a great job suggesting meals and wines that we all enjoyed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch to catch up with old friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014We found the restaurant to be too noisy for talking. The a/c was particularly cold and the noise added to the general background. Service was good and not rushed which was appreciated since we were trying to catch up with old friends. For the most part, our party of 5 enjoyed the food with 3 of use very pleased with the food.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and Menu choicesLuvsgreatfoodDined on 7/29/2014The best premium flavorful crab cakes. Usually the best steaks around, but this visit the filet was slightly overlooked. Medium rare was more medium well, expensive mistake to make... The halibut was great and cooked perfect. The chocolate essence trio was so awesome. Very nice menu selections. The waiter should not rely totally on the bus person. Had to ask for more water and then wait longer than we should have since it was our only drinks. Clearing the table was messy. just take away the plates rather than take our dirty silverware off the plate and stack it with the other plates. Absolutely great food and atmosphere, lacking in smooth table cleanup and slow to check on customer needs in a timely manner.Special Features:
- Loud but DeliciousLennyBoBennyVIPDined on 7/29/2014I definitely wouldn't go here if you are looking for a quiet romantic spot. It's VERY loud. But all of the food was delicious. The service was a 10. It's like the servers and wait-staff are on ice skates dancing around the tables taking care of everyone. Pretty incredible. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Noise drowned out good food.DsantlawrDined on 7/29/2014The happy hour crowd was so loud, the acoustics so bad, that although we were on the far side of the restaurant, it was painfully noisy. Not intimate or romantic at all. Food and service were very good but noise level takes this off my "can't wait to go back " list. What happened to adults using inside voices?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not typically what I order!PimentoDined on 7/26/2014Went with friends for husband's birthday. Foodie friend had read "Tom's" (Seitsma) review and shared that the beef/ steaks were the thing to order. Trusting her and feeling curious, I ordered the filet and was in utter heaven! :) Best piece of beef I have had in years. Waiter was quite nice, too. Small seating space for restaurateurs but food, drinks, and side dishes were excellent! Very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top choice for night outOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/23/2014The tasting room is always one of our top choices for a night out. My favorite thing is the drink menu - the special drinks are very tasty! The food is excellent! Definitely a must for anyone looking for a great place for a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfriendly servers and rushed foodFoodie52VIPDined on 7/21/2014We recently stopped at the Tasting Room for lunch and were expecting a nice dining experience. While the food was good, we were rushed--our meals arrived within 5 minutes of ordering them and while it good, it went exceptional . Having been to this restaurant several times before, I was surprised at the quality. The lettuce in my salad was wet, and my husband's shrimp and grits were not as good as he remembered. But the biggest problem was the staff. Apparently it is against their policy to smile. They were the snooty and unfriendly. I have dined at many fine restaurants, including this one, and I have never been in such an unfriendly environment. We will not dine there again.
- Fine DiningweajcaDined on 7/19/2014This is one of the finest restaurants in Frederick. It's a little noisy, but the food and service are outstanding. I've eaten here many times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- otts1935Dined on 7/19/2014Service was excellent. We were given a quiet table, as requested. Food was tasty but portions were on the small side relative to the pricey menu. Reservations recommended as the is a small restaurant. Tables close to each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oscar1Dined on 7/19/2014The lobster chowder is awesome. Restaurant is a little "cramped" for a romantic "private" meal. 4 diners.....2 salmon, 1 haddock and 1 filet. All delicious....filet very slightly overchooked for medium rare but still tender and juicy. Our friends from out of town want a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarcJrOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 7/18/2014One of our favorite restaurants. Always changing menu with great new choices. Great atmosphere for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- This was great...DaveDined on 7/12/2014The Tasting Room simply defines fine dining. The service was superb and the food was done (in our opinion) to perfection. We felt relaxed throughout our meal and there was no hint of rushing. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Good but not great ...hahaDined on 7/12/2014Given the price range, I was expecting a great meal. I don't think I will be visiting the restaurant again.