The Tasting Room
101 North Market Street
Frederick, MD 21701Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Tasting Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thetastingroomrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (240) 379-7772
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:45pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Tauraso
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room that seats 6-10 guests. All private room requests will be granted on a first come, first serve basis and must be confirmed over the phone. Any requests for the private dining room made online are subject to availability.
- Private Party Contact: Jarrett Walsh 2403797772
A word from The Tasting Room
Established in 2001, The Tasting Room restaurant and wine bar has earned a reputation as a modern American force in the Frederick area. Combining the essence of Frederick and the modern styles of New York, The Tasting Room provides diners with an experience to remember. Situated in the heart of Frederick"s historic district, The Tasting Room captures the energy of Market St. with floor to ceiling windows and a 180˚ panoramic view. Fresh local ingredients and unwavering consistency have been the benchmarks for this ultra-successful Michael Tauraso establishment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Tasting Room - Best Restaurants in Frederick ›
The Tasting Room reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (95)special occasion (72)neighborhood gem (66)notable wine list (61)hot spot (46)great for lunch (38)romantic (33)vibrant bar scene (25)good for groups (18)late-night find (8)scenic view (8)great for brunch (7)Show More
- Top DrawerGeneDined on 11/22/2014The Tasting Room continues to be among the best. The filet and lobster chowder are beyond excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a lovely date night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014I went here with my boy friend for a nice date night, and we absolutely loved it! If you eat here, I recommend you ask for seating by the window, because the view of Market street is lovely. We started out with a glass of pinot nior and their sangria, along with their friend oysters, which was the perfect little start to our meal. The appetizer tasted great. It was very simple and delicate. I ordered their scallops, which were amazing. They were cooked perfectly; they basically melted in your mouth. He ordered their salmon. His was delicious as well, although he preferred mine! We finished the meal with one of their Blood Orange cocktails... delicious! If you go hear you have to try it. It was a fabulous evening! The only thing I would have changed was that I wish I ordered dessert! I will definitely be coming here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as always!LynnemezzoDined on 11/21/2014I took my mom to The Tasting Room (it was her first time there) for her birthday luncheon, and she was hooked! As always, the food, the service, and the ambiance were superb. I love going out for a meal here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for FoodiesJohnDined on 11/18/2014Nice place, great service. The appetizer menu had about a dozen selections, all of which we found appealing. Settled on the Carpaccio, that was very good. For our main entrees I had scallops on a bed of grits, my wife had salmon on quinoa. Both were very well prepared. The restaurant has an extensive wine list with high end bottles for your selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good experience.JerryDined on 11/17/2014The restaurant is always reliable. Great food and service every time. This is the place to take a client it date and make the right impression.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy and hip find in downtown FrederickKGourmaeDined on 11/15/2014Delicious lobster bisque! Scallop entree cooked to perfection. Server was a little bit obnoxious. Overall, wonderful dinner, second visit, and will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food vs. ambianceGreenfieldfredDined on 11/14/2014The Tasting Room has a very good menu and the food quality is excellent. However, the bar and dining areas are noisy and seating is very tight. Tables for two sit only a foot away from each other. If you want a quiet, romantic or special occasion venue, this is not the place. If you have a small group and/or are out for social evening, this could be the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OK this timeMidatlanticVIPDined on 11/13/2014Both entrees were undercooked and sent back. Lamb on website specified "Colorado rack of lamb" Tasted like gamy New Zealand lamb to me. Not the usual pleasant service. And why in this crowded place do the servers hang around and chat with the customers? They are in the way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningSusanDined on 11/8/2014The restaurant is very popular and crowded. Our 8:00 reservation was not seated until 8:45. the bar was jammed so that we had to go elsewhere for appetizers and drinks while waiting for a table to open. this we did with the recommendation of the staff and it worked out well. the wait was worth it however. the food was all expertly prepared. the wine list was very nice even for those of us who wanted to purchase by the glass and try several wines. the menu is al a carte so the prices can get to be expensive, but the size of the portions is perfect for sharing which is what we did among the four of us. The wait staff was excellent. I would definitely go here again when I return to FrederickSpecial Features:
- Fantastic experience!FiletloveDined on 11/7/2014We love this restaurant! The food never disappoints and the service is exceptional. We especially love the seasonal menu, but the filet mignon is always amazing! Ask for Dave if you want the best service! We will definitely be back for our next special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinnerLinecooksdadDined on 11/5/2014We had a lovely dinner. The food, duck and lamb, and service were excellent. The food was as good or better than many of the high end restaurants we have gone to recently. The restaurant is all in one room. The tables are a little close but with all of them full (on a Wednesday evening) it had a nice cozy feeling. The bread could be better. The restaurant is expensive, but worth the price. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waiter need training in fine diningJeanneDined on 11/4/2014waiter needs to talk a lot less and learn the art of fine dining service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good a meal as I've had anywhere in my life!ConnieRRVIPDined on 11/1/2014As good a meal I've had anywhere in my life and I don't say that lightly. Also excellent service. We live in Bethesda but will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this place!CPTwoDined on 11/1/2014We have been fans of TR since they opened in 2001 - for the elegant-yet-casual ambience, friendly and attentive service, great wine selection and a regularly evolving selection of cocktails, and of course the fantastic food. We have never had a meal at TR that we didn't love.Special Features:
- Tom RTlovesLDined on 10/31/2014Thank you so much for making the evening with my girl so special. As per my request, we had an intimate table with a lovely view. The food was delicious and the service was impeccable. I came all the way from Miami to be with my special girl and this evening did not disappoint. Thank you for helping us to have a memorable Halloween.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/31/2014A little pricey but I love the location and the setting insideSpecial Features:
- Some of THE best ever.....FIESTADined on 10/31/2014From the time we were greeted & shown to our table to the time we departed our experience here at the Tasting Room was just superb. The Manhattan Cocktails, the appetizer, the salads, the swordfish and vegetables were just spot on... Everything was timed perfectly by our very experienced & attentive waitress. Everyone from the fine young man who filled our water glasses to our waitress was very friendly & accommodating....Oh and one more thing...we enjoyed one of the very nice bottles of California Merlot that was on the extensive wine list. The Tasting Room held up to it's name.... VERY TASTY INDEED. I am still telling friends of the fine experience we had there & look forward to the next "special" occasion to come back again.Special Features:
- Great Food - Service not so greatFoodie248Dined on 10/25/2014Took my husband here for his birthday and our wedding anniversary. We were seated right at the front door where people gather to wait (and the door opens constantly). When I asked if we could be seated away from the busy door (there were many open tables), I was told that they were reserving the other area for a party of 6 an hour later. I was okay with that. However, the host immediately told me that I should have told them online when I booked the table that it was a special evening and request to be seated somewhere else. I told him that I did just that when I reserved the table over a week ago. No worries, things happen. Service was extremely slow and not very friendly. The open tables were still open when we left 2 hrs later.Special Features:
- The Tasting RoomolddutchDined on 10/25/2014Had dinner there before a show at the Weinberg Center ... easy walking distance to the venue and parking garage. Delicious dinner including : fried oysters, lobster soup (yummy), mussels, and a couple salads ... and don't forget the best Crown Royal Manhattans I've ever had ! ... Kat (our server) was spot on ... no rush ... but attentive ... water glasses were always full ... and unneeded dishes quickly removed ... would go back again ... Enjoy !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/24/2014We very much enjoy dining at the Tasting Room. for both lunch and dinner. One of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Incredible lobster chowderlobsterchowderloverDined on 10/24/2014I have had the lobster chowder several times and it is the best anywhere. While I would prefer a larger portion, it is nonetheless extremely satisfying.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantkayceeintulsaVIPDined on 10/23/2014This was our first visit to Frederick restaurant scene and quite pleased with The Tasting Room. Good selection on the menu and food was excellent. We had ceasar salad to start and entrees were the Rack of Lamb and Sea Bass. Both were very well prepared. Lamb was large entree that could have been shared. Took rest home and it made a nice lunch the next day. Will definitely return for more.Special Features:
- Good soups are hard to findShannon271VIPDined on 10/18/2014The lobster bisque and the butternut squash soup are amazing! The lobster is super rich and creamy, with large chunks of lobster generously portioned on top. Perfect serving size. The butternut squash soup is the perfect fall soup starter. Crispy croutons and slices of apple add to the already decadent flavors of the butternut squash. My fiancé and I are new to the area, but we will surely be back!Special Features:
- Great!SagehenDined on 10/17/2014Visiting for the weekend and celebrating an anniversary. They were very accommodating when we had to push the time back. Nothing revelatory on the food combinations but prepared very well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best filet mignon around.SndevilDined on 10/17/2014I have been going to the tasting room since it opened and I get the filet eveytime. I have eaten steak at The Capital Grill Mortons,Ruth chris,and Prime Rib and I would put this filet above all of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Autumn SaladDowntownJonVIPDined on 10/16/2014We've been eating here since they opened - sometimes twice a week. The food was great as always. The menu changed for Fall a few weeks ago. I love the Cesar Salad at TR, but autumn salad is one of the best salads I've ever had. I've been in 3 times for it all ready. I'll be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014The food was delicious. I loved the Sammon and the bread pudding. My husband enjoyed the red wineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet corner in busy restaurant4merFrednecksDined on 10/11/2014A friend recommended The Tasting Room so we gave it a try Saturday for a quiet dinner with our 2 two sons home from college for the Columbus day weekend. We made a reservation through Open Table, showed up and were seated immediately in the back corner next to the private dining room where it was quiet, as requested. We enjoyed glasses of Chenin Blanc (our favorite) with lobster chowder, cheese board and crab dip starters, all of which were excellent! The New York Strip with Au Gratin potatoes was perfect for our picky eater, Rack of Lamb was actually 2 pairs of chops was excellent, if not a full rack. My wife enjoyed the scallops very much and the veal meatballs with wide thin noodles and tomatoes was awesome. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Finest Filet Ever!JJMDVIPDined on 10/10/2014The filet at the Tasting Room remains one of the most notable dishes ever. I have tried filets across the nation and still the one this place serves is the best prepared! I brought 2 friends from out of town and they left highly impressed to where all they could speak of was how delicious the Tasting Room's filet was! The food here and service are always impeccable. Ask for Justin--he's simply a delight and a lot of fun while also remaining quite professional. I've yet to ever have nothing short of perfection for a night out that includes the Tasting Room!Special Features:
- Excellent dining experience.MerryDined on 10/9/2014From the warm greeting to the last bite we can't offer more praise. The Service was personal yet professional. My Filet Mignon was done perfectly and paired beautifully with the wine as was my husband's Duck. We wish we lived closer so we could experience being spoiled more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting Room still our favoriteJoeWDined on 10/8/2014Great food and drinks in an atmosphere that is not pretentious. The Tasting Room continues to be our favorite Frederick restaurant for special occasions. The crab cakes, fish and steaks are always fine menu choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good mealmnkyboyVIPDined on 10/7/2014You get good service & good food whenever you go!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time in a weekDowntownJonVIPDined on 10/4/2014The Autumn Salad featured on the Fall Menu is outstanding. A great combination of salty & sweet with candied walnuts, fruit, blue cheese, poppy seed dressing. I hope to be back again soon!Special Features:
- Still GreatDowntownJonVIPDined on 10/2/2014We've been eating here since the doors opened. The food is consistently very good to great. Had dinner at TR the other night. The Fall menu is in: cod, salmon, pork, steaks, mushroom bisque, beef carpaccio, many more I can't remember. Hopefully going back for lunch today.Special Features:
- Fine Dining @ Tasting RoomRussWDined on 10/1/2014I have always considered The Tasting Room Frederick City's premier fine dining establishment. Understandably, I chose this location for our 26th wedding anniversary dinner. I was not let down. Great food, well prepared, with excellent service to match. My favorite, the filet mignon, the preparation of which cannot be matched anywhere (I test this thesis frequently), has been a standard for years. In addition, they have a fine wine list to match any pallet and pair with any dish. I fully recommend The Tasting Room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice RestaurantslysterDined on 9/27/2014We had a table for two for 5:30. I'm glad we arrived a little early because some of the tables for two are right next to each other. It's not a large restaurant. We were able to secure a table for 4 next to the window and it didn't feel as crowded. I don't think I would call this a romantic spot mostly because it felt crowded (tables). The server was professional, but not overly friendly. We also thought it was business casual/smart casual and several patrons were wearing jeans (with a nice top). The Pork belly appetizer was the BEST and I would recommend it for anyone. We both ordered the filet mignon and ny strip steak. The filet was definitely better. Overall, we would return. The food was hot and outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another IntroductionQueenTeeVIPDined on 9/24/2014When I have friends in the area, I have learned to just take them to the Tasting Room. I have never been let down.Special Features:
- Great spotArturioVIPDined on 9/22/2014Delicious food and excellent customer service. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellence is the norm hereAnnetteDined on 9/20/2014Always a lovely experience. TT makes you a hero to guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting Room, Frederick, MDDinnerOutinFrederickDined on 9/20/2014Wonderful food, ambiance and service. Upscale dinner in a great downtown Frederick location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.