The Tasting Room
101 North Market Street
Frederick, MD 21701Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Tasting Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thetastingroomrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2403797772
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:45pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Tauraso
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room that seats 6-10 guests. All private room requests will be granted on a first come, first serve basis and must be confirmed over the phone. Any requests for the private dining room made online are subject to availability.
- Private Party Contact: Jarrett Walsh 2403797772
A word from The Tasting Room
Established in 2001, The Tasting Room restaurant and wine bar has earned a reputation as a modern American force in the Frederick area. Combining the essence of Frederick and the modern styles of New York, The Tasting Room provides diners with an experience to remember. Situated in the heart of Frederick"s historic district, The Tasting Room captures the energy of Market St. with floor to ceiling windows and a 180˚ panoramic view. Fresh local ingredients and unwavering consistency have been the benchmarks for this ultra-successful Michael Tauraso establishment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Tasting Room - Best Restaurants in Frederick ›
The Tasting Room reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (73)special occasion (73)neighborhood gem (52)notable wine list (50)great for lunch (31)hot spot (25)vibrant bar scene (25)romantic (23)good for groups (16)scenic view (8)great for brunch (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- This was great...DaveDined on 7/12/2014The Tasting Room simply defines fine dining. The service was superb and the food was done (in our opinion) to perfection. We felt relaxed throughout our meal and there was no hint of rushing. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Good but not great ...hahaDined on 7/12/2014Given the price range, I was expecting a great meal. I don't think I will be visiting the restaurant again.
- seems better for lunch than dinnerlikefood1977Dined on 7/12/2014I saw the lunch menu and it looks better than dinner. We did dinner, which was expensive. the food was good but nothing I can't get at another restaurant with a better view. My husband got fish in a thai basil sauce that he really liked. I got the filet, which was very good, cooked to perfection (I order my steaks rare) but lacked flavor. The disappointing part was the wine list was so overpriced; and I usually like to have a couple of glasses with my meal, however on this occasion I only would have one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HollisterDined on 7/11/2014We beleive Tasting Room to have the best food in Frederick period ... not to mention an excellent wine list.No need to travel to Bethesda or DC for a great restaurant.Special Features:
- DelicioustheaterfanDined on 7/11/2014We love going to Frederick for a change of pace. The tasting room is a great find there! The food was delicious and the service was great! Parking is a breeze, too. Highlights for us on the menu were the summer salad, crab cakes and the filet. Can't wait to go back again!
- Great, as alwaysLeslieDined on 7/7/2014The Tasting Room has definitely become "my place" to go in Frederick. The food is always fantastic, but is on the pricey side. I would certainly recommend this as a go-to spot for special occasions.Special Features:
- Repeat customerNotaFoodieDined on 7/5/2014This is the second time I have been to the tasting room and both times I have not been disappointed . The food is wonderful , the filet 1st time the salmon 2 nd time . The wines are always great and the staff know their wine selection well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but not greattrustmeDined on 7/5/2014The food is good and the service excellent. What lacks is excitement in the food. A little inventiveness would go along way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salad and AppsLedgestoneDined on 7/5/2014I enjoyed the watermelon salad and the mussels. I wasn't crazy about the sausage in the mussels but still enjoyed it. It gets very loud in the restaurant, not the place for intimate conversation. The windows make people watching fun. Beautiful design and interesting drink options. I didn't try but everyone raved about the lobster mashed potatoes.Special Features:
- Always a PleasureLuvsFoodNotCookingDined on 7/5/2014Great for a date night or grown-ups night out. Food is excellent with lots of unique choices. Specialty drinks and martinis are always adventurous to try. Unique design and environment, more cosmopolitan than many restaurant choices in Frederick. Tough to get in on weekends, especially First Saturday, so we were amazed when we were able to get a same-day reservation through OpenTable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the brussel sprouts!phillyoneVIPDined on 7/4/2014Went for July 4th in Frederick and loved this place. Everything was amazing!Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in FrederickOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/27/2014Outstanding restaurant, will go again. The crab cakes were spot on. One of the best I have had so far in MD. The only complaint is the bar noise. We arrived around happy hour and it was extremely loud at times, but even with the noise we will probably stop again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Internet Search WinnernomadDined on 6/26/2014We were planning to have a lunch with old friends elsewhere, but found they were closed for lunch on Thursdays. Found The Tasting Room on Frederick City website, and looked up reviews on Open Table - decided to book a reservation. The food selections looked ordinary on the menu, but were all quite a wonderful interesting surprise - difference sauces, garnishes, side dishes. Service impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialJustUsDined on 6/24/2014Our server, Susan, was great and the entrees were well-prepared. Especially liked the pork tenderloin. However, we found that the noisy atmosphere and crowded conditions detracted from our ability to enjoy the dining experience.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/20/2014My husband and I have been here multiple times and The Tasting Room never disappoints. I rarely get the same thing twice at a restaurant and I ALWAYS get the lamb. My husband gets the filet and we're both happy. The service is always spot on. I personally think the food is better than Volt and much more affordableSpecial Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/19/2014Excellent,food was very good, service was exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience on classicsUnchainedAdventuresVIPDined on 6/16/2014The Tasting Room does a beautiful job on some classic dishes. The filet was wonderful and cooked to perfectionand the accompanying potatoes au gratin where cheesy. The apple salad and amazing lobster bisque were a hit too. The ambiance for historic Fredeick is interesting... An urban loft feel in the center of town. Maybe a little too out of place but it's unique. A little suggestion... Since the location seems to be geared to special occasions little touches like the read should be warm when it ones out and a coffee service could be a single French Press... That's very impressive and smooths out a little bitterness. All in all a wonderful dining experience...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day dinnerFoodieDined on 6/14/2014My husband & I really enjoyed our meal here. We both had the Filet Mignon. The Brussels sprouts were delicious. It's really a small restaurant with tables very close together. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why did we wait so long?StevieBVIPDined on 6/13/2014Our first dinner at The Tasting Room, despite eating out in Frederick for years - too many good choices, will have us adding TTR to our rotation of favorites. Food, including gluten-free, selections are more interesting than most similar priced restaurants. Preparation, presentation and service were all above average making for a pleasurable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmingMag526Dined on 6/13/2014This restaurant came highly recommended and I must say that we were a bit underwhelmed. We had noted in our OT ressie that it was our anniversary. It would have been nice had the hostess or server said "happy anniversary". Nothing. There were no suggestions from the waiter. He was there to take our order and if we did ask a question he had great answers, but I would prefer being led through my dining experience at a restaurant of this level than to have to trudge my way through it. This probably sounds overly picky, but the experience is what makes me rate a restaurant with good food 5 stars instead of 3.Special Features:
- A must dine....BroccoliVIPDined on 6/13/2014My husband and I always enjoy our dining experience at The Wine Kitchen! The food (especially the Lamb Chops!) is ALWAYS good! And the drinks are quite delicious! It is on our restaurant rotation list, and it is a definite must try if you have not done so already. My only wish is that the tables be slightly further apart. Getting in and out of your seat sometimes proves to be quite challenging (as to not bump the table next to you), and I am a size 2!Special Features:
- 47th Anniversary DelightsavorflavorDined on 6/10/2014The Tasting Room is our go to place for special occasions and date nights. The ambiance and quality of food is unparalleled in Frederick. We highly recommend the crab dip and the unsurpassed filet Mignon. Pricey but worth every penny. Don't miss the outstanding cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TommyCTommyCDined on 6/9/2014I love this restaurant. Small and chic it has great food and an excellent wine list. Specialty martinis are de rigueur at the very active bar. Reservations are a must as this restaurant is very well attended. My favorite restaurant in the excellent Frederick dining scene.Special Features:
- williepeeDined on 6/4/2014Better than average food but shy of the haute cuisine effort that's made. Service is so attentive it's almost Edwardian. The small touches make it: paprika-monogrammed butter pats ("TR"), white linen tablecloths, tastefully decorated room, VERY attentive staff. We had lunch on a weekday and it was lovely. We will go back.Special Features:
- Best steak ever!hjf13Dined on 5/31/2014The steak at the Tasting Room is better than Morton's, Ruth's Chris or any other steakhouse I've been to... by far. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Lovely mealBonitabellaDined on 5/30/2014Restaurant was quite pleasant. Wait staff very attentive. Food was well prepared and presented. Not a great place for an intimate dinner conversation as tables close together but overall, very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special DestinationBerkleymacDined on 5/30/2014The Tasting Room fulfilled all me expectations. I heard it was great and have to agree with everyone who recommended it. We had a party of five and were seated as soon as we entered the restaurant and from that point forward, the service was great. The food was delicious. For the special occasion we were celebrating, it was wonderful!Special Features:
- Delicious Special OccationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/29/2014The Tasting Room was a great choice for the special occassion of my daughter's graduation dinner. Party of seven handled expertly by the service staff. Food was delicious though pricey. Appatizers were especially good. Get the "back room."Special Features:
- Carroll4FoodiesDined on 5/28/2014Very happy that the cousin luncheon of eight had a private room. Great for conversation.The waiter was fun and efficient. His suggestions were perfect. Shrimp and grits for the person who previously had not liked grits & is now a shrimp and grits fan. Swordfish and salmon were delicious and luncheon portions were perfect. The French Sauvignon blanc was perfect. The selection of desserts met everyone 's need, from sorbets to rich chocolate cake. It was a good afternoon in Frederick. Only need I had was a coffee refill.Special Features:
- The following 404 reviews are from the The Tasting Room reviews archive.
- Good for drinks, that's itOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/24/2014Every time I go to Frederick, I always go to tasting room for lunch. That will change going forward. I always got the filet mignon lunch which is now a hanger steak for the same price. Really? Their menu has gone so far down hill with cheap options like fried buffalo chicken sandwiches and typical bar food for higher prices. Why? If I want cheap bar food there are many other places in Frederick which serve cheap bar food for much cheaper prices. The drink menu is still great, but I can't consider this a lunch option going forward. It's a shame, but I won't be back for lunch again, only drinks and people watching. Hopefully they will get their menu back up to par. It used to be a great lunch spot that we took many people to over the years.Special Features:
- Excellent, as AlwaysFullBellyDined on 5/23/2014We love The Tasting Room! We have been back several times and use it as one of our "go-to" restaurants for special occasions. Their filet mignon is some of the best we've ever had. Their special this time was soft shell crabs which were fabulous. The cioppino was a little bland, which was a first. Everything else we've ever had here has been top of the line and I would highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Always wonderfulPennyDined on 5/23/2014The Tasting Room is our favorite special occasion place.Special Features:
- Another Fabulous FiletJJMDVIPDined on 5/22/2014The Tasting Room Filet is the best filet on the planet! It doesn't get any better than this. However, all their appetizers are quite tasty as well. I had the cheese plate and it was incredible! If you visit Frederick just for Volt, you're missing out on something special! This is the city's original signature restaurant and one of my all-time favorites!Special Features:
- Perfect Steaks!SD21704Dined on 5/22/2014My NY Strip and his Filet were both perfectly cooked and served on a hot plate. We have dined here a couple of times and have not been disappointed with choosing this restaurant.Special Features:
- too meatylellebelleDined on 5/21/2014TR has a new chef and the menu has become too meat focused. In the past there has always been a great selection of fish dishes without meat. Now most have pork on them. For those of us who want to eat fish we usually do not want to eat meat. One of us did order the cod with chorizo and all it tasted of was chorizo. The past two chefs have always had a least 2 delicious fish dishes on the menu. Now there is not even one. The salmon and it's sides sounded terrible so I ordered the crab cakes. They are always excellent but I will not come here as often unless they get fish back on the menu.
- localfan24Dined on 5/21/2014Very special service. Food and presentation were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Restaurantmlcp3312Dined on 5/20/2014Michael Tauraso is simply the best restaurateur in our beloved city of Frederick! Tasting Room never disappoints...the staff, the food and the vibrant atmosphere...My first choice every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Frederick GemDCdinerVIPDined on 5/20/2014I always stop here when I'm in the area because it is such a great place. I get the lobster chowder which has lobster in every bite. Both of my friends' entrees were outstanding as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceBertieDined on 5/17/2014Service was superb as usual...food choice varied and well explained.... and did not disappoint in taste or presentation...being right downtown and having surrounding Windows made for an entertaining view of the ongoing street scene....lively atmosphere...Special Features:
- Frederick GemjoandinesVIPDined on 5/17/2014This small restaurant is worth the drive. The food never disappoints, and service is good as well. Because the restaurant is small the menu is too. This time around there wasn't much that appealed to me. I ordinarily don't order duck because it's too fatty, but I took a chance. It was delicious and NOT fatty.I would recommend this to a friend.