The Tasting Room
101 North Market Street
Frederick, MD 21701Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Tasting Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thetastingroomrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2403797772
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:45pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Tauraso
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room that seats 6-10 guests. All private room requests will be granted on a first come, first serve basis and must be confirmed over the phone. Any requests for the private dining room made online are subject to availability.
- Private Party Contact: Jarrett Walsh 2403797772
A word from The Tasting Room
Established in 2001, The Tasting Room restaurant and wine bar has earned a reputation as a modern American force in the Frederick area. Combining the essence of Frederick and the modern styles of New York, The Tasting Room provides diners with an experience to remember. Situated in the heart of Frederick"s historic district, The Tasting Room captures the energy of Market St. with floor to ceiling windows and a 180˚ panoramic view. Fresh local ingredients and unwavering consistency have been the benchmarks for this ultra-successful Michael Tauraso establishment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
The Tasting Room - Best Restaurants in Frederick ›
The Tasting Room reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (81)special occasion (66)neighborhood gem (56)notable wine list (50)hot spot (38)great for lunch (33)romantic (25)vibrant bar scene (24)good for groups (18)late-night find (10)scenic view (9)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Great Food - Service not so greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Took my husband here for his birthday and our wedding anniversary. We were seated right at the front door where people gather to wait (and the door opens constantly). When I asked if we could be seated away from the busy door (there were many open tables), I was told that they were reserving the other area for a party of 6 an hour later. I was okay with that. However, the host immediately told me that I should have told them online when I booked the table that it was a special evening and request to be seated somewhere else. I told him that I did just that when I reserved the table over a week ago. No worries, things happen. Service was extremely slow and not very friendly. The open tables were still open when we left 2 hrs later.Special Features:
- The Tasting RoomOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Had dinner there before a show at the Weinberg Center ... easy walking distance to the venue and parking garage. Delicious dinner including : fried oysters, lobster soup (yummy), mussels, and a couple salads ... and don't forget the best Crown Royal Manhattans I've ever had ! ... Kat (our server) was spot on ... no rush ... but attentive ... water glasses were always full ... and unneeded dishes quickly removed ... would go back again ... Enjoy !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/24/2014We very much enjoy dining at the Tasting Room. for both lunch and dinner. One of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Incredible lobster chowderlobsterchowderloverDined on 10/24/2014I have had the lobster chowder several times and it is the best anywhere. While I would prefer a larger portion, it is nonetheless extremely satisfying.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantkayceeintulsaVIPDined on 10/23/2014This was our first visit to Frederick restaurant scene and quite pleased with The Tasting Room. Good selection on the menu and food was excellent. We had ceasar salad to start and entrees were the Rack of Lamb and Sea Bass. Both were very well prepared. Lamb was large entree that could have been shared. Took rest home and it made a nice lunch the next day. Will definitely return for more.Special Features:
- Good soups are hard to findShannon271VIPDined on 10/18/2014The lobster bisque and the butternut squash soup are amazing! The lobster is super rich and creamy, with large chunks of lobster generously portioned on top. Perfect serving size. The butternut squash soup is the perfect fall soup starter. Crispy croutons and slices of apple add to the already decadent flavors of the butternut squash. My fiancé and I are new to the area, but we will surely be back!Special Features:
- Great!SagehenDined on 10/17/2014Visiting for the weekend and celebrating an anniversary. They were very accommodating when we had to push the time back. Nothing revelatory on the food combinations but prepared very well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best filet mignon around.SndevilDined on 10/17/2014I have been going to the tasting room since it opened and I get the filet eveytime. I have eaten steak at The Capital Grill Mortons,Ruth chris,and Prime Rib and I would put this filet above all of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Autumn SaladDowntownJonVIPDined on 10/16/2014We've been eating here since they opened - sometimes twice a week. The food was great as always. The menu changed for Fall a few weeks ago. I love the Cesar Salad at TR, but autumn salad is one of the best salads I've ever had. I've been in 3 times for it all ready. I'll be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014The food was delicious. I loved the Sammon and the bread pudding. My husband enjoyed the red wineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet corner in busy restaurant4merFrednecksDined on 10/11/2014A friend recommended The Tasting Room so we gave it a try Saturday for a quiet dinner with our 2 two sons home from college for the Columbus day weekend. We made a reservation through Open Table, showed up and were seated immediately in the back corner next to the private dining room where it was quiet, as requested. We enjoyed glasses of Chenin Blanc (our favorite) with lobster chowder, cheese board and crab dip starters, all of which were excellent! The New York Strip with Au Gratin potatoes was perfect for our picky eater, Rack of Lamb was actually 2 pairs of chops was excellent, if not a full rack. My wife enjoyed the scallops very much and the veal meatballs with wide thin noodles and tomatoes was awesome. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Finest Filet Ever!JJMDVIPDined on 10/10/2014The filet at the Tasting Room remains one of the most notable dishes ever. I have tried filets across the nation and still the one this place serves is the best prepared! I brought 2 friends from out of town and they left highly impressed to where all they could speak of was how delicious the Tasting Room's filet was! The food here and service are always impeccable. Ask for Justin--he's simply a delight and a lot of fun while also remaining quite professional. I've yet to ever have nothing short of perfection for a night out that includes the Tasting Room!Special Features:
- Excellent dining experience.MerryDined on 10/9/2014From the warm greeting to the last bite we can't offer more praise. The Service was personal yet professional. My Filet Mignon was done perfectly and paired beautifully with the wine as was my husband's Duck. We wish we lived closer so we could experience being spoiled more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting Room still our favoriteJoeWDined on 10/8/2014Great food and drinks in an atmosphere that is not pretentious. The Tasting Room continues to be our favorite Frederick restaurant for special occasions. The crab cakes, fish and steaks are always fine menu choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good mealmnkyboyVIPDined on 10/7/2014You get good service & good food whenever you go!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time in a weekDowntownJonVIPDined on 10/4/2014The Autumn Salad featured on the Fall Menu is outstanding. A great combination of salty & sweet with candied walnuts, fruit, blue cheese, poppy seed dressing. I hope to be back again soon!Special Features:
- Still GreatDowntownJonVIPDined on 10/2/2014We've been eating here since the doors opened. The food is consistently very good to great. Had dinner at TR the other night. The Fall menu is in: cod, salmon, pork, steaks, mushroom bisque, beef carpaccio, many more I can't remember. Hopefully going back for lunch today.Special Features:
- Fine Dining @ Tasting RoomRussWDined on 10/1/2014I have always considered The Tasting Room Frederick City's premier fine dining establishment. Understandably, I chose this location for our 26th wedding anniversary dinner. I was not let down. Great food, well prepared, with excellent service to match. My favorite, the filet mignon, the preparation of which cannot be matched anywhere (I test this thesis frequently), has been a standard for years. In addition, they have a fine wine list to match any pallet and pair with any dish. I fully recommend The Tasting Room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice RestaurantslysterDined on 9/27/2014We had a table for two for 5:30. I'm glad we arrived a little early because some of the tables for two are right next to each other. It's not a large restaurant. We were able to secure a table for 4 next to the window and it didn't feel as crowded. I don't think I would call this a romantic spot mostly because it felt crowded (tables). The server was professional, but not overly friendly. We also thought it was business casual/smart casual and several patrons were wearing jeans (with a nice top). The Pork belly appetizer was the BEST and I would recommend it for anyone. We both ordered the filet mignon and ny strip steak. The filet was definitely better. Overall, we would return. The food was hot and outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another IntroductionQueenTeeVIPDined on 9/24/2014When I have friends in the area, I have learned to just take them to the Tasting Room. I have never been let down.Special Features:
- Great spotArturioVIPDined on 9/22/2014Delicious food and excellent customer service. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellence is the norm hereAnnetteDined on 9/20/2014Always a lovely experience. TT makes you a hero to guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting Room, Frederick, MDDinnerOutinFrederickDined on 9/20/2014Wonderful food, ambiance and service. Upscale dinner in a great downtown Frederick location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always up to Par!!colrayDined on 9/17/2014We live in Northern Va and make a point of coming to The Tasting Room at least 3 or 4 times a year. Food is fantastic. Service is excellent, and above all spectacular wine selections!! The homemade bread pudding and homemade sorbet are on the mark as well!! Take a nice drive and pop on for lunch or dinner - it's worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After golfUltracsicVIPDined on 9/15/2014Stopped in after a round of golf. My playing wasn't hungry and only had a salad and their lobster bisque , which he loved. I had the Salmon prepared with wilted spinach. It was so good I ordered a second one to take home to the wife.Special Features:
- wonderfulNRappDined on 9/13/2014we had a small group of 4 to celebrate my husbands birthday. the food was outstanding, the drinks were excellent. this was our 2nd time and we will definitely come again.Special Features:
- Party of 6DinnerClubDined on 9/13/2014Atmosphere- loved the windows; for a table of 6...room was very loud and couldn't even hear everyone at the table. Food - Delicious EXCEPT for $36 crab cakes...WAY TOO MANY SHELLS!! And no sides for $36?!? (flavor was great though) Service - She was nice except she seemed aggravated if our party was in mid conversation and she wanted/needed something from us. She was very "business"...not very smiley or patient. Overall though, she was good.
- so disappointedJulie123VIPDined on 9/13/2014We had heard great things about the Tasting Room but had a less than optimal experience. The food was not exceptional and for the price, there are much better restaurants. I will say that our server was very good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014We went for lunch. The calamari risotto was different and delicious. The mussels were just ok and the steak, while quite small was very tasty. I belive we ordered wrong, we will definitely be back as the menu is amazing. Our server was very sweet although it took a little while to get that second drink. Overall I would recommend.Special Features:
- My reviewboogsDined on 9/10/2014It was a great place for a first date. The place wasn't crowded and wasn't too loud. The atmosphere was good and the food was tasty, but it think that the menu could expand some.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YeknomDined on 9/5/2014Always great service and great food. Although a little on the noisy side and somewhat cramped I still enjoy going hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wine4dinewine4dineVIPDined on 9/3/2014Always enjoy the food at the TR. Great for lunch and even better for dinner. Loved the paste with lamb sausage.Special Features:
- Tasty-DelightRJM50Dined on 9/1/2014My wife's Birthday had arrived and I was looking for a unique restaurant the she would especially like. The Tasting Room fit the bill. While $$$ on the pricey side our dinners were well proportioned and cooked to perfection. They have an extensive wine list by the glass $$$ or the bottle. I chose the bottle and the Merlot went well with our choices for the main dish. I would recommend this restaurant for anyone wishing to please someone who appreciates anm atmoshphere for finer dining.Special Features:
- Outrageously Goodwilson5065Dined on 8/30/2014Finally got to go to The Tasting Room for dinner. My wife and I were blown away. Service, food, wine, beer and drink options, beautiful decor. There is nothing but great, all the way around. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Tasting roomOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Just a fabulous place ,urban chic,small and close tables but with being caught up with the great food who cares.my wife had the salmon which she said was the best ever.i had the filet was was cooked to order Pittsburgh style and they hit it on the mark. My only negative would be the small sized drinks but I'm really nit picking here.excellent service,caring and attentive but not seen only when needed .we are not from the area but when we visit again we definitely will have reservations at the tasting roomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lousy serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/28/2014The food was incredibly delicious , the wine we selected was great, but the overall atmosphere was lacking. The server had an attitude of arrogance and totally uninterested in " taking care of us". My husband left a tip that was far too generous. Already sent a note by email to the restraurant.
- TR IIcsvjDined on 8/23/2014The Tasting Room surrounds you with a very comfortable setting and matches it with excellent service, a nicely proportioned and presented menu, complemented with an exceptional wine list and specialty beverages. The nicely paced delivery of courses allows you to enjoy your meal while taking-in the activity of downtown Frederick just outside the wrap-around windows. The Tasting Room truly delivers on a very enjoyable luncheon experience.Special Features:
- Best on townOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/23/2014We have tried a number of places in Frederick and this is our favoriteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InnovativeTcbirdDined on 8/22/2014Moroccan spiced rack of Lamb was the real hit of the night. Delicious. . Great cappuccino and dessertSpecial Features:
- A Revisit DisappointswinesnobnotDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I had been here many times in the past but hadn't in a while. We always discovered a new wine and were looking forward to that again for our anniversary dinner. We tried a number of wines but couldn't find a good fit much to the chagrin of our waiter who couldn't understand why we didn't like each of his suggestions. His air of superiority put a damper on the wine experience that was only saved by the rest meal. The filet mignon and the crab cakes, along with the lobster chowder were outstanding. There are many other restaurants in Frederick that also have great food but a better wine selection with waiters without attitude; so we'll not be going back.Special Features: