The Tailor and the Cook
94 Genesse Street
Utica, NY 13502Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Tailor and the Cook
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thetailorandthecook.com/
- Phone: 3157937444
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Tailor and the Cook
Enjoy masterfully prepared meals in a relaxed and hospitable setting. Our chefs create seasonal menus based on freshness and the availability of local products. We can't wait to meet you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Tailor and the Cook - Best Restaurants in Utica ›
The Tailor and the Cook reviews from OpenTable diners
175 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (130)fit for foodies (127)romantic (91)neighborhood gem (80)notable wine list (75)hot spot (55)good for groups (20)great for outdoor dining (18)late-night find (16)vibrant bar scene (14)scenic view (3)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great placeDeegee1Dined on 10/18/2014We have dined here, several times, each time is better than the last. The food is always perfectly cooked and presented with utmost care. Service is excellent. The use of local food is a plus.Special Features:
- best in UticaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014great little place about 2 minutes south of NYS thruway in downtown Utica. Best restaurant in the area but hard to get in due to its small size and popularity, definitely need a reservation. Been here a few times and always pretty good. Nice wine list but would like to see a couple of more California chardonnays. I do find it a smoky, the kitchen could use a better ventilation system. restaurant is Noisy as well. meet portions seem to be cut thin and were overcooked but not enough to send back. sauces on some of the dishes seem to overwhelm the portions. My last visit the risotto was lame. but these minor issues would not prevent me from returning.Special Features:
- The most amazing restaurant around!Foodmother3Dined on 10/17/2014Outstanding menu, outstanding service, incomparably creative cuisine. This restaurant is staffed by an extremely creative group of young and talented men and women who are committed to an unforgettable dining experience. An intimate and genuinely friendly establishment with world class food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a Special TripZigRulesDined on 10/16/2014We were stopping overnight in Utica and discovered The Tailor and the Cook through online reviews. What a find! This was the best dining experience my wife and I have had in years. Every dish was masterfully created and prepared, and the service was impeccable. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/16/2014This truely is a "farm to table" restaurant. It really showcases numerous local purveyors from start to finish. The Fall menu had just begun and I has the chicken which was great. My friend had the pork chop which was good, but a little thin. The server was knowledgable and enthusiastic. A really great place!Special Features:
- Still the BestMickfuryDined on 10/10/2014Nothing has changed, except the fact that this might have been my tastiest experience yet. You can't beat this place. Try it, you'll agree!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience as alwaysWinetime11Dined on 10/9/2014The food and service is great. We come to here every year for our Anniversay. We love the atmosphere and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Absolutely love the place. I brought my managers and general manager to your restaurant for a casual business dinner and they all raved about it. After several visits I have yet to find an entree that I haven't enjoyed. I'll certainly be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in UticaOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/4/2014Loved the decor, fantastic service and the smoked pepper side was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Thanks again for a phenomenal meal and experience!Special Features:
- Tailor and the CookTrevDined on 10/3/2014Simply the best food you'll ever eat. Not to mention it's all locally provided. From the chef to the wait staff it's just awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ExperienceGoddess444Dined on 10/3/2014The atmosphere was really nice. The food very good. Service excellent. Unfortunately the seating is tight. We had a couple next to us who got louder and louder as the night went on and it was distracting to our group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- incredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014The food was outstanding! Everything from the butter to the dessert was wonderful. Tasty but not too overwhelming!Special Features:
- Don't Miss It!FoodieJamieDined on 10/3/2014The Tailor and the Cook is THE place in Utica for fine dining. Foodies and all others will appreciate Chef Tim and his team's genius in the open kitchen. The staff are informed, caring and wonderfully connective keeping your dining experience properly paced and enjoyable! And the bartender is so well known they write glowing articles about his cocktail concoctions in the local paper. So, this is a must-see, can't wait and must go kind of place if you are looking for the best of Utica.Special Features:
- WW Durant crew loved it!MadonnaDined on 10/1/2014We're in the food business and take food seriously. Eight of us (plus 1 four yr old granddaughter) really enjoyed our dinner last Wed. Really liked the cheese platter but would have liked more crackers. The bread and butter are to die for. The soba noodle with the salmon entree was relish! The corn ice cream was so good and loved the pumpkin butter accompanying the dark chocolate whoopie pie. The Utica Coffee Roasting Company coffee was so good we're going to look into serving their coffee on our dinner boat. Thank you for an over-all quality experience. PS: The brick walls, the signage, the entrance patio....all very appealing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionSteriaDined on 9/27/2014We always have a fabulous time. Would recommend to anyone. It is a place you crave to go to not just a place you go to because you don't feel like cooking. The staff always makes us feel special and that they were glad we came. They are very knowledgable about everything on the menu and the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PolishbillDined on 9/27/2014First time visit and the place was outstanding - Service was the best in the Utica Rome area by far - comparable to any 5 star resturaunt I've ever been in. The drink menu was intersing and we enjoyed the unique cocktails. Food was beyond good - 6 of us in the party and eveyone gave their entre a 10! We'll be back.Special Features:
- Food was excellantbealertDined on 9/27/2014Service was excellant. Presentation was also excellent. Have already recommended this restaurant to many of our friends and acquaintances. In our opinion the best restaurant in the Utica area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Utica gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014What an incredible find! Food was very fresh and delicious, staff was exceptionally friendly and welcoming and service was excellent. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "A culinary delight...wineanddine1951Dined on 9/26/2014This restaurant is very small but what a gem it is! The food is very unique and we'll prepared. The chef is a culinary artist. Excellent wait staff! A little pricey than others but you get what you paid for and more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FiveAbbVIPDined on 9/20/2014Always tremendous! The atmosphere is vibrant and cool, the food interesting and so well prepared and the service is warm and professional. It's so nice to be remembered when you return.Special Features:
- SuperbFrancescoDined on 9/20/2014Had downstate visitors... And these folks, accustomed to NYC restaurant scene, were blown away by the quality. T and C is a local treasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Janet Stanleyhappyfoodie4sureDined on 9/18/2014We have had a consistently wonderful time at the Tailor and the Cook. From the first moment you arrive you feel welcomed. The atmosphere reminds me of some of the greatest city finds we have experienced in our travels over the years. I appreciate their desire to support local farmers and suppliers which helps the local economy. The presentation, flavor and pairings of foods are always delightful!!! Five stars are just not enough for this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- JewelPleasedDined on 9/18/2014We are a difficult group to please, and care about the details of how meals are made, and delivered. Would drive far off the road to experience this again.Special Features:
- Great time.UticanativeDined on 9/18/2014My only gripe was we sat right on top of other people. Not a very romantic experiance, food was great, we'll worth the price. I would recommend to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014The Tailor and the Cook was the scene for our 31st anniversary. Our son had gotten us a gift certificate and it was one of the best dining experiences I've had. We had been there before so knew it would be fantastic, but it was even better than fantastic. Delicious!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Locally GrownUticadinerDined on 9/17/2014Local ingredients, local chefs, showcase the best the area has to offer. I love that the waiter explained where the ingredients come from. Fantastic dinner!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Wonderful meal with amazingly fresh food and tasteSpecial Features:
- A food orchestraGarretts6648Dined on 9/13/2014The service and food was exceptional. We enjoyed every minute it is a musical in your mouth. Everything was a ten, definently a five star! We will go back professional in every aspect of fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LarryVIPDined on 9/12/2014Probably the best restaurant north of New York City! Great service, wonderful atmosphere, and INCREDIBLE FOOD!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding4dinersdeliteDined on 9/12/2014We had an excellent meal, starting with one of the daily appetizers, and the drink of the day, and finishing with delicious desserts!Special Features:
- Consistently deliversUticaDiningDined on 9/12/2014The food at The Tailor and the Cook is creative and delicious from start to finish.Special Features:
- Impeccable serviceCamperDined on 9/12/2014Each member of the wait staff that interacted with us was awesome, especially Josh. Super customer-service minded, classy and knowledgeable. Mixed reviews on the flank steak--one person liked it, the other didn't. The pork chops were delicious and same for the vegan risotto. A memorable dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fancigalDined on 9/11/2014Upon leaving, I always have the feeling that I'm glad I came HERE for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingWeezerDined on 9/11/2014Melt in your mouth flavor combinations. What a wonderful meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Winning Night!FoodieJamieDined on 9/10/2014Had dinner here on Wednesday; happened to be new menu day and Tim has done another incredible job. For foodies, there is NO BETTER place in Utica to dine. Delicious food, aromatic and unusual food combinations spectacularly presented; service is both attentive and well-informed and the ambiance is always welcoming. If you're local, go often. And if you're visiting, do NOT miss this on your journey to Utica.Special Features:
- The food is amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014A great place to stretch you normal night out when it comes to what to order with just incredible tasting food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014Super fresh and innovative food... even better service!Special Features:
- AmaaaazzzinnggLove2EatDined on 9/5/2014Tailor and the Cook is always an intimate dining experience between hosts and guests. The food, atmosphere, and service is always superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Utica Gem for your special personBruceWDWDined on 9/5/2014When travelling, my wife and I love to identify that very special local restaurant that is known for it's diverse menu, flavorful dishes, locally sourced foods and special atmosphere. Thankfully we have that choice in our own hometown at The Tailor and the Cook.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.