The Tailor and the Cook
94 Genesse Street
Utica, NY 13502Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Tailor and the Cook
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thetailorandthecook.com/
- Phone: 3157937444
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Tailor and the Cook
Enjoy masterfully prepared meals in a relaxed and hospitable setting. Our chefs create seasonal menus based on freshness and the availability of local products. We can't wait to meet you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Tailor and the Cook - Best Restaurants in Utica ›
The Tailor and the Cook reviews from OpenTable diners
184 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (133)fit for foodies (132)romantic (92)neighborhood gem (88)notable wine list (79)hot spot (59)good for groups (21)great for outdoor dining (18)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (14)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014First time visit and the place was outstanding - Service was the best in the Utica Rome area by far - comparable to any 5 star resturaunt I've ever been in. The drink menu was intersing and we enjoyed the unique cocktails. Food was beyond good - 6 of us in the party and eveyone gave their entre a 10! We'll be back.Special Features:
- Food was excellantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014Service was excellant. Presentation was also excellent. Have already recommended this restaurant to many of our friends and acquaintances. In our opinion the best restaurant in the Utica area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Utica gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014What an incredible find! Food was very fresh and delicious, staff was exceptionally friendly and welcoming and service was excellent. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "A culinary delight...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014This restaurant is very small but what a gem it is! The food is very unique and we'll prepared. The chef is a culinary artist. Excellent wait staff! A little pricey than others but you get what you paid for and more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FiveAbbVIPDined on 9/20/2014Always tremendous! The atmosphere is vibrant and cool, the food interesting and so well prepared and the service is warm and professional. It's so nice to be remembered when you return.Special Features:
- SuperbFrancescoDined on 9/20/2014Had downstate visitors... And these folks, accustomed to NYC restaurant scene, were blown away by the quality. T and C is a local treasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Janet Stanleyhappyfoodie4sureDined on 9/18/2014We have had a consistently wonderful time at the Tailor and the Cook. From the first moment you arrive you feel welcomed. The atmosphere reminds me of some of the greatest city finds we have experienced in our travels over the years. I appreciate their desire to support local farmers and suppliers which helps the local economy. The presentation, flavor and pairings of foods are always delightful!!! Five stars are just not enough for this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- JewelPleasedDined on 9/18/2014We are a difficult group to please, and care about the details of how meals are made, and delivered. Would drive far off the road to experience this again.Special Features:
- Great time.UticanativeDined on 9/18/2014My only gripe was we sat right on top of other people. Not a very romantic experiance, food was great, we'll worth the price. I would recommend to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014The Tailor and the Cook was the scene for our 31st anniversary. Our son had gotten us a gift certificate and it was one of the best dining experiences I've had. We had been there before so knew it would be fantastic, but it was even better than fantastic. Delicious!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Locally GrownUticadinerDined on 9/17/2014Local ingredients, local chefs, showcase the best the area has to offer. I love that the waiter explained where the ingredients come from. Fantastic dinner!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Wonderful meal with amazingly fresh food and tasteSpecial Features:
- A food orchestraGarretts6648Dined on 9/13/2014The service and food was exceptional. We enjoyed every minute it is a musical in your mouth. Everything was a ten, definently a five star! We will go back professional in every aspect of fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LarryVIPDined on 9/12/2014Probably the best restaurant north of New York City! Great service, wonderful atmosphere, and INCREDIBLE FOOD!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding4dinersdeliteDined on 9/12/2014We had an excellent meal, starting with one of the daily appetizers, and the drink of the day, and finishing with delicious desserts!Special Features:
- Consistently deliversUticaDiningDined on 9/12/2014The food at The Tailor and the Cook is creative and delicious from start to finish.Special Features:
- Impeccable serviceCamperDined on 9/12/2014Each member of the wait staff that interacted with us was awesome, especially Josh. Super customer-service minded, classy and knowledgeable. Mixed reviews on the flank steak--one person liked it, the other didn't. The pork chops were delicious and same for the vegan risotto. A memorable dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fancigalDined on 9/11/2014Upon leaving, I always have the feeling that I'm glad I came HERE for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingWeezerDined on 9/11/2014Melt in your mouth flavor combinations. What a wonderful meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Winning Night!FoodieJamieDined on 9/10/2014Had dinner here on Wednesday; happened to be new menu day and Tim has done another incredible job. For foodies, there is NO BETTER place in Utica to dine. Delicious food, aromatic and unusual food combinations spectacularly presented; service is both attentive and well-informed and the ambiance is always welcoming. If you're local, go often. And if you're visiting, do NOT miss this on your journey to Utica.Special Features:
- The food is amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014A great place to stretch you normal night out when it comes to what to order with just incredible tasting food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmaaaazzzinnggLove2EatDined on 9/5/2014Tailor and the Cook is always an intimate dining experience between hosts and guests. The food, atmosphere, and service is always superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Utica Gem for your special personBruceWDWDined on 9/5/2014When travelling, my wife and I love to identify that very special local restaurant that is known for it's diverse menu, flavorful dishes, locally sourced foods and special atmosphere. Thankfully we have that choice in our own hometown at The Tailor and the Cook.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Have eaten at the Taylor and the Cook many times. The food and service is as good as it gets anywhere in the world. The downside is that the exhaust fan is inadequate for the room. A solution for the smoke filling the room should be explored.Special Features:
- Wonderful Experience (as always) !JimCDined on 9/4/2014I brought an old friend (visiting from out of town) to The Tailor and the Cook for his first visit. As always the food and service was superb! As a hint for those who enjoy good wines -- many of the wines on the wine list may not have prestigious names, but it's the taste & quality of the wine that is more important than the familiarity of the vineyard and the label -- I have tried at least a dozen different wines there over the past few years -- all have been excellent! The vast majority of the food (the meats, the veggies, the grains, the dairy, etc) is quite local -- very much farm-to-table without commercial processing, chemicals & preservatives. The beer & ale & liquor variety includes many local options and many "top shelf" too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another outstanding nightJimmyVIPDined on 9/4/2014The tailor and the cook never seems to disappoint. The staff always goes above and beyond to make your dinning experience welcoming and enjoyable. The fresh fare is second to none in our community!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So glad we have this in Utica!lovegoodfoodDined on 8/30/2014I feel like I'm in a NYC restaurant when I dine at The Tailor and The Cook. I have never been let down - in fact my boyfriend (who is a discerning foodie from Philadelphia) was so impressed with the experience that we made plans to dine again.Special Features:
- Disappointing Food and AtmosphereMelissaDined on 8/30/2014This was our 4th time here. I've always had average meals but my husband usually enjoys it. Today was an exception; we were both very disappointed. Tables are far too close, between neighbors right on top of you and having to talk over the open kitchen right behind, privacy is impossible. Twice our waitress had to stop mid-sentence to move to the other side of our 2-person table to try to get out of the way of our neighbors, and when I went to leave it was difficult to do so without putting my butt in my neighbors' plates. Scallop appetizer was delicious (but 3 scallops for $11 is a little high.) The crust on the bread was burnt. We both had a shrimp and clam dish; clams were far too chewy and shrimp was undercooked. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- Better every timeJRocDined on 8/30/2014My wife & I have eaten here about a dozen times. We have never had a bad meal or anything that wasn't perfect. Everytime we leave we say it was the best meal yet! Jimmy provides excellant service and the food is beyond fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, great vibeJEvansDined on 8/29/2014Visited for the first time on a Friday night, and found the food and service to be excellent. The veal chop and filet were cooked perfectly and we enjoyed the presentation of each dish. Do not skip dessert! The gelato with the espresso is delicious paired with an espresso martini!Special Features:
- Fantastic dining experience!MadgeDined on 8/29/2014We had the most amazing meal! Everything about our evening was fabulous. The friendliest staff ever From the bartender who made the best whiskey sour I ever drank, to the waiter who explained every detail about each course of the meal. We had a great experience, Love that everything is local and Paleo friendly! Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dont pass this placeJustpassingthru2dayDined on 8/29/2014Traveled the world and this restaurant is top notch. Creative dishes using farm fresh vegetables, try the peppers with garlic, outstanding. Large variety of wine or beer to complement any meal choice. Ask for Sara as your waitress and she will devote a lot of time describing the menu not just rattling off the specials off a pad. She makes great recommendation on the beer choices. If your lucky enough to have her as your waitress your night will be complete. The duck and filet mignon were excellent as well as the salads and the cheesecake and rhubarb crisp . Wish it was closer to Jersey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another excellent mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014My wife and I have dined at Tailor and the Cook well over a dozen times now. The restaurant is remarkably consistent. I just want to emphasize that the service was, again, excellent. The men and women on the wait staff are always attentive, well informed, and very pleasant. Having worked in restaurants, I'm especially impressed by their timing, which always makes for a well paced, unhurried atmosphere and meal. This is the best restaurant in our region of New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvelous!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Our experience at The Taylor and The Cook was AMAZING. Delicious foods I would never think to pair together that create amazing flavors. I have never been to a restaurant where the servers knew more about the food. The Taylor and the Cook is a dining EXPERIENCE. You are not just going out to dinner.Special Features:
- AMAZING!zackDined on 8/23/2014Tailor and the cook may be my new favorite restaurant. The space itself has an industrial feel to it; brick walls, exposed piping, it's reminiscent of something you would find in NYC or Boston. It's small but it creates that intimate dining experience you want in a place like this. Their bar is stocked with top shelf liquor and they have a wine list 3 pages long. Our food came out perfectly timed. We had enough time to chat and enjoy a glass of wine before we we're served two perfectly cooked dishes. I had the filet and it was amazing. Nicely seared on the outside, juicy pink on the inside. It was so tender I hardly had to chew. Definitely the best filet I have had in the area and it was only second to one I had in Vegas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Great ExperienceKyle13501Dined on 8/21/2014It's wonderful to see a modern restaurant like The Tailor & the Cook making creative new dishes using local ingredients. Keep up the good work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014The place is on the outskirts of Utica, not easily accessible (we had to do a couple of u-turns to find get there), but the trip was worth it. The food is fair to table, so if you care about where your food comes from, and also think eating locally grown food is better for you and the planet, then you can't go wrong at this restaurant. The appetizers were delicious, the open kitchen and exposed brick gives the place a vibrant energy. We were impressed.Special Features:
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Food and service were top notch. All local ingredients. If u want excellent food with excellent service go here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date NightdatenightchickDined on 8/20/2014My husband and I love any chance we get to get to the Tailor and the Cook...birthdays, anniversaries, just because. We love that the menu is seasonal and that we can always find something new to try. Every course is phenomenal, from drinks th dessert. The staff is so pleasant, patient, and knowledgeable. If you enjoy trying new flavors and combinations, the Tailor and the Cook is the place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant as everOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014This is my primary choice for entertaining guests from out of town. It provides congruency when I tell them where Utica and the whole region is headed. The menu is fantastic but I can't remember the last time I didn't get one of the specials! Have never had anything short of an amazing experience here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.