The Tailor and the Cook
94 Genesse Street
Utica, NY 13502Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Tailor and the Cook
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thetailorandthecook.com/
- Phone: (315) 793-7444
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Tailor and the Cook
Enjoy masterfully prepared meals in a relaxed and hospitable setting. Our chefs create seasonal menus based on freshness and the availability of local products. We can't wait to meet you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Tailor and the Cook - Best Restaurants in Utica ›
The Tailor and the Cook reviews from OpenTable diners
194 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (147)special occasion (146)romantic (100)neighborhood gem (97)notable wine list (88)hot spot (60)good for groups (24)late-night find (21)vibrant bar scene (19)great for outdoor dining (15)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- A Utica gem!FrancescoDined on 11/21/2014Tailor and Cook continues to be the premier eating spot in Central New York. Attention to sourcing locally and organically, elegant yet casual service. Bravo to the chefs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HevkelDined on 11/14/2014I ordered the filet mignon. It was cooked perfectly and served with mashed truffle potatoes. It was excellent. My husband and our friend ordered the gumbo that contained a seafood. They loved it. The restaurant was very trendy inside and a perfect place to get together with friends or come out to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!FarmtotableprideDined on 11/14/2014I've been to this place a few times now and have never been disappointed. This is my go to place for a great meal and great service. This last experience was great, the waiter was awesome! What I was most impressed about was he knew what everything on the menu was when asked and he was spot on about the discription of how everything tastes. Whenever you are in the mood to try something new or different and always be good, this is the place to go. (They also have the standards for those that don't like to explore their palate.) Only thing to warn any new goers is the seating arrangement is very close, but I am use to this because a lot of nice restaurants do this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine packagesbwatersDined on 11/13/2014Flavor, variety, local accents, uniqueness, presentation, warmth, geniality, all at a gentle pace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing find in Bagg SquareGreatfoodfanaticDined on 11/8/2014this was our second visit to our new favorite restaurant. Service and food are second to none in this area. Wait staff is knowledgable and attentive. We will be back again and again.Special Features:
- FabulousSampsonDined on 11/8/2014Our 3rd time!! We brought our 11 year old son that enjoys real food. Needless to say he cleaned his plate.. Portions are not over done and the freshness of the ingredients are amazing. Bravo to the chef, staff and all that work together to make this a very popular restaurant in downtown utica, new yorkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Words don't do it justiceLocalgirl2Dined on 11/8/2014I am still amazed that this restaurant is in Utica, NY. However, I believe that the whole area is getting ready to see a huge revitalization and this restaurant is the sign. It was by far one of the best meals I have ever had in my life and I wish I lived closer. Everything and I mean everything was perfect.Special Features:
- outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Great ambiance, impeccable service. Was thrilled to find a restaurant of this caliber in our area. The entire experience was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lucky for uticafoodiefamDined on 11/7/2014So happy that we have T&C. We have eaten there several times. We love the ambiance and the energy! The menu is perfectly conceived and uses "local" when ever possible. The food can be delicious but it is not always consistent. I had steak and scallops and my husband had the duck. Our meals were terrific. Our friend had the pork chop but it was very dry and tough. The server was very apologetic and comped that item. Joe,the bartender, makes great cocktails and great conversation! Love the Fransiscan Cabernet!! We will continue to support the T&C!Special Features:
- Great food in UticaMf2244Dined on 11/7/2014They have a great foodie flare and it was an experience as they tell you what you are eating! You're learning about the food and where it's from. Unique dishes. Very nice ambiance, but pricey.Special Features:
- Perfect eveningChreescucina23Dined on 11/7/2014Every bite was delicious! Service was great. I read ahead of time in a review that some people complained about the smoke smell from the grill. To tell the truth it added to the ambiance and made my mouth water. I wouldn't change a thing about this place. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Real farm to table experience.Hr123Dined on 11/7/2014My husband and I went here for our anniversary. It was our second visit. We LOVE it. It is a great relief from the many heavy Italian dishes served in the local area. We enjoyed the local Pig Parts Salad as a true farm to table experience. Although, if you are not feeling that adventurous you can have lamb, steak, scallops or salmon. :) oh, and they always seem to have a vegan/vegetarian option too. Always get the local cheese plate to start. We just got back from Paris but still we feel that you don't have to go that far to enjoy great cheese and a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- DisappointedlocaloldieDined on 11/1/2014After reading all the reviews we were anticipating a fabulous experience. Unfortunately we were very disappointed. While the service was excellent, the ambiance and the food left a lot to be desired. The noise level made it difficult to hold any conversation and even the service staff resorted to bending over to explain the menu items, thereby putting their derriere in the space of the next table. Tables were very close together and with the banquette setup of the restaurant left one person looking at a wall. Descriptions of the menu items were ambiguous ("clam chowder" should have said "steamers") and the cooks were extremely heavy-handed with the salt making some of the food very difficult to eat. We will not be going back.
- One of the finestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014This restaurant is unquestionably one of the absolute best restaurants anywhere in New York and certainly the finest in Central New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Upstate NYOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014This is one of the freshest and most well prepared dinner's I've ever had. The food was bursting with flavor and left us extremely pleased. We were not bursting at the seams when we left and didn't have to take any heartburn medication. Excellent place! #Farm freshSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in the ValleyValleyReviewerDined on 10/31/2014The Tailor and the Cook is serious about food. Knowledgeable and creative, locally sourced when possible, without ostentation. Service is very good and very friendly/professional. Atmosphere is pleasantly New Yorkish- close tables and open kitchen- a lot happening in a narrow space. Go if you like imaginative well prepared food at reasonable prices in an adult atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressively & Consistently SuperbJimCDined on 10/31/2014Another wonderful dining experience: a delectable selection of food paired with a wine which complemented flavors -- in a simply comfortable atmosphere with superb service (attentive but not intrusive). Each meal is a memorable event. The food, beverages & service remain consistently superb. The menu offerings present a tempting variety. Attention is paid to the smallest detail in everything that is presented. The wine selection includes many EXCELLENT yet reasonably priced options. Just because many of the wines are not well known or outrageously priced does not mean they are not excellent wines. If you are unsure which wines might pair well with your meal -- your server or the chef can offer suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a surprise dining experience in UticaMagsDined on 10/25/2014I was very pleased to have had such a great meal at the Tailor and Cook on Saturday evening. Having dined at some fabulous restaurants in San Francisco and Napa, Calif. it was great to have a restaurant of this caliber in Utica. All the staff were friendly, eager to assist and recommend drinks and dishes. It's new and different and not the same old fare one finds in central New York. I like the seasonal dishes and look forward to changes. I would certainly recommend this to family and friends and will most definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intentional ExperienceRavingFanDined on 10/25/2014Every detail of The Taylor & The Cook experience is made with thoughtful consideration to create a unique, experience difficult to find anywhere else. An amazing selection of fresh, local ingredients are transformed into tantalizing dishes, served by an authentic wait staff eager to please, in a simple, industrial setting that creates an atmosphere of warmth and connection. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencejeffDined on 10/24/2014We have dined here many times and each and every one was fantastic. Highly recommend The Taylor and The Cook for the best fine dining in the Utica area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!MorelHunterDined on 10/23/2014The service was exemplary and the food both singular and exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic fresh locally grown foodBryanDined on 10/22/2014The wait staff is knowledgeable of all items on the menu, the chefs are great, the food is spot on in the seasoning department, freshest foods used, great place for special occasions. A little bit pricy for the area but also the best meal I have ever had in the area. Its a must try for your next special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeDeegee1Dined on 10/18/2014We have dined here, several times, each time is better than the last. The food is always perfectly cooked and presented with utmost care. Service is excellent. The use of local food is a plus.Special Features:
- DeliciousLovefreshfoodDined on 10/17/2014I'd say the Tailor and the Cook is among my top five favorite restaurants throughout the country. Seriously. Fresh, local ingredients, creative (and tasty) dishes, friendly and knowledgeable servers -- couldn't ask for much more. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best in UticacarguyDined on 10/17/2014great little place about 2 minutes south of NYS thruway in downtown Utica. Best restaurant in the area but hard to get in due to its small size and popularity, definitely need a reservation. Been here a few times and always pretty good. Nice wine list but would like to see a couple of more California chardonnays. I do find it a smoky, the kitchen could use a better ventilation system. restaurant is Noisy as well. meet portions seem to be cut thin and were overcooked but not enough to send back. sauces on some of the dishes seem to overwhelm the portions. My last visit the risotto was lame. but these minor issues would not prevent me from returning.Special Features:
- The most amazing restaurant around!Foodmother3Dined on 10/17/2014Outstanding menu, outstanding service, incomparably creative cuisine. This restaurant is staffed by an extremely creative group of young and talented men and women who are committed to an unforgettable dining experience. An intimate and genuinely friendly establishment with world class food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a Special TripZigRulesDined on 10/16/2014We were stopping overnight in Utica and discovered The Tailor and the Cook through online reviews. What a find! This was the best dining experience my wife and I have had in years. Every dish was masterfully created and prepared, and the service was impeccable. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Fantastic!food3Dined on 10/16/2014This truely is a "farm to table" restaurant. It really showcases numerous local purveyors from start to finish. The Fall menu had just begun and I has the chicken which was great. My friend had the pork chop which was good, but a little thin. The server was knowledgable and enthusiastic. A really great place!Special Features:
- Still the BestMickfuryDined on 10/10/2014Nothing has changed, except the fact that this might have been my tastiest experience yet. You can't beat this place. Try it, you'll agree!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience as alwaysWinetime11Dined on 10/9/2014The food and service is great. We come to here every year for our Anniversay. We love the atmosphere and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Absolutely love the place. I brought my managers and general manager to your restaurant for a casual business dinner and they all raved about it. After several visits I have yet to find an entree that I haven't enjoyed. I'll certainly be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in UticaOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/4/2014Loved the decor, fantastic service and the smoked pepper side was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Thanks again for a phenomenal meal and experience!Special Features:
- Tailor and the CookTrevDined on 10/3/2014Simply the best food you'll ever eat. Not to mention it's all locally provided. From the chef to the wait staff it's just awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ExperienceGoddess444Dined on 10/3/2014The atmosphere was really nice. The food very good. Service excellent. Unfortunately the seating is tight. We had a couple next to us who got louder and louder as the night went on and it was distracting to our group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- incredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014The food was outstanding! Everything from the butter to the dessert was wonderful. Tasty but not too overwhelming!Special Features:
- Don't Miss It!FoodieJamieDined on 10/3/2014The Tailor and the Cook is THE place in Utica for fine dining. Foodies and all others will appreciate Chef Tim and his team's genius in the open kitchen. The staff are informed, caring and wonderfully connective keeping your dining experience properly paced and enjoyable! And the bartender is so well known they write glowing articles about his cocktail concoctions in the local paper. So, this is a must-see, can't wait and must go kind of place if you are looking for the best of Utica.Special Features:
- WW Durant crew loved it!MadonnaDined on 10/1/2014We're in the food business and take food seriously. Eight of us (plus 1 four yr old granddaughter) really enjoyed our dinner last Wed. Really liked the cheese platter but would have liked more crackers. The bread and butter are to die for. The soba noodle with the salmon entree was relish! The corn ice cream was so good and loved the pumpkin butter accompanying the dark chocolate whoopie pie. The Utica Coffee Roasting Company coffee was so good we're going to look into serving their coffee on our dinner boat. Thank you for an over-all quality experience. PS: The brick walls, the signage, the entrance patio....all very appealing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionSteriaDined on 9/27/2014We always have a fabulous time. Would recommend to anyone. It is a place you crave to go to not just a place you go to because you don't feel like cooking. The staff always makes us feel special and that they were glad we came. They are very knowledgable about everything on the menu and the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PolishbillDined on 9/27/2014First time visit and the place was outstanding - Service was the best in the Utica Rome area by far - comparable to any 5 star resturaunt I've ever been in. The drink menu was intersing and we enjoyed the unique cocktails. Food was beyond good - 6 of us in the party and eveyone gave their entre a 10! We'll be back.Special Features: