6800 Westward Beach Rd.
Malibu, CA 90265Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thesunsetrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3105891007x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm- 4:00pm
Brunch: Satuday & Sunday 11:00am-4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Dinner: Friday & Saturda: 4:00-10:00 pm
Dinner: Sunday 4:00 - 9:00 pm
Happy Hour: Monday-Thursday 3pm-8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Enrico Glaudo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The Sunset Restaurant offers an unmatched location for any type of special event. Private Parties can be accommodated from 18 guests to 200. "My Fox LA Hotlist" voted us #1 Best Wedding Venue in Southern California! We are also perfect for wrap parties, bar mitzvahs, corporate events and business functions.
- Private Party Contact: Grace Rocoffort de Vinniere 310-589-2027x
- Entertainment: The best local DJ's play nightly on the weekends Friday-Sunday, inspiring amazing dance parties. Located on the first floor bar area that overlooks dolphins and whales frolicking in the waves as the sun sets over the pacific. You won't want to miss it.
A word from The Sunset
Welcome to The Sunset Restaurant, located on a beautiful stretch of Zuma Beach in Malibu, California. As you drive up to our secluded restaurant location, the first thing you'll notice is the breathtaking ocean views and magnificent Pacific horizons. Situated a few steps from the waves, and the passerby whales, The Sunset offers a unique setting unmatched in Southern California.Continued
To view our menus, please copy & paste the link below:
To view our menus, please copy & paste the link below:
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Sunset - Best Restaurants in Malibu ›
The Sunset reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (123)romantic (66)special occasion (65)great for lunch (50)neighborhood gem (50)fit for foodies (44)great for brunch (40)vibrant bar scene (38)hot spot (24)good for groups (24)kid-friendly (15)great for outdoor dining (15)late-night find (8)notable wine list (7)Show More
- great malibu spotMalibuandyDined on 9/28/2014Always a nice time at The Sunset! Food was good and ambiance is great right on Westward Beach.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/24/2014Fantastic! Best place to view the sunset; steps away from the sand, sitting in a beautiful setting and enjoying a delicious meal . = )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014David our waiter was awesome! He recommended the shrimp pasta which my girlfriend ordered and I had the seafood platter. We also tried the fried calamari and flatbread appetizers which were both tasty. Will definitely go here again! Only issue we had was finding parking but we just ended up using the valet which wasn't a big problem.Special Features:
- Fun at the beach!HappyBillyDined on 9/13/2014This is a restaurant that is at the end of the street on Zuma Beach...with gorgeous sunset views...and a hot spot for weddings and receptions! Of note - the bar is small and they have a DJ blasting music which is unnecessary...this is a RELAXING place, not a disco! We couldn't hear the ocean over the music and we came for the solitude!Special Features:
- Don't go for the food!HenryDined on 9/12/2014We wanted a low key funky beach vibe restaurant to celebrate our anniversary. I had never heard of your restaurant and now I know why. The food was horrible. The waiter was not good and the manager who knew we were unhappy avoided us like the plague. The only nice person there was the hostess who greeted us with a "Happy Anniversary" from there it went downhill. The cocktails were okay. The food was overcooked to the point of being inedible. The Langostines were so over cooked you could barely scrape any of the meat out of the shells and the Lamb came so well done and tough you could barely cut it, let alone eat it. The Manager avoided us like the plague. Sad because it is a great location and could be a real gem.Special Features:
- Oh my, the octopus is amazingSteveVIPDined on 9/7/2014We love The Sunset and have been coming here a lot, so I've started to branch out from my usual favorites (salmon) and explore the menu more. Just for kicks the other day I tried the octopus. I naively assumed I'd get a plate of baby octopus or something like that. (I admit I may not have read the menu thoroughly.) Instead I got a single large octopus arm, from base to tip. I expected it to be a bit rubbery but it had an amazing texture, nothing like what you'd expect. Imagine a texture scale from a typical firm white fish on one end (call it 1) and one of The Sunset's succulent Mexican White Shrimp on the other end (call it 10). The octopus was about a 7 on that texture scale, kinda like shrimp but somewhat like fish too. The taste? A 10!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014Very disappointed with crab Benedict -- almost no crab! And I had been recommending this restaurant to all my friends...not any more.
- The Beautiful SunsetAnyaBaganyaDined on 9/5/2014This is a very special restaurant - on the beach with the waves crashing just outside your window. The food, drink and service are wonderful. We've been coming here for years and will continue to do so for years to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The view is incredible!LisaJDDined on 9/2/2014The food was delicious and the service was wonderful. Everyone was so pleasant and helpful. I would dine here again in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service & views; food o.k.jamminDined on 9/2/2014The hostess and all the wait staff were great--very attentive. The medium steak we ordered was medium well with no pink inside. The mahi-mahi was good, not great...should have ordered the salmon. However, the views are amazing looking out on the ocean! Overall I would recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View,Delicious foodhealthy4utooDined on 9/2/2014After trying to avoid the beautiful sunset shining directly in our eyes, moving to a table away from the windows, food was delicious when we finally got it. Seemed too many waiters not knowing what each other was doing, or who was handling what part of our dining experience. Had to ask several different people several times for more bread, salt,pepper, extra plates (we were sharing). Seats are hard wood, not very comfortable. Other than above, experience is always great at the Sunset, always delicious food and always a "great view".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to Dine!FancyNancy2Dined on 8/30/2014Our reservation was at 6:30PM and we haD a perfect table overlooking the sand and the ocean! Sun was setting and the atmosphere wa terrific! Food and Service was wonderful.. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone that luv to watch the sunset with a good glass of wine! A hidden Gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodPumpvixenVIPDined on 8/29/2014The food was excellent and the view of the ocean was magnificent. The place was packed, you definitely need a reservation. We had the shrimp scampi pasta with spinach, which was extremely flavorful. I found the best salad extremely fresh and light. We truly appreciated the conscientious wait staff, they were very attentive to our needs.Special Features:
- DISCO FOR DINNEROpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014Have enjoyed a great lunch there. The dinner atmosphere however, is HORRIFIC for celebrating anyone you want to hold a conversation with. An obnoxiously loud DJ plays dance music with drunk bar patrons making sure everyone knows they are having a blast! Lunch menu was great. Dinner was mediocre at best.Special Features:
- papandajDined on 8/27/2014Great Restaurant! Italian seafood specialties were outstanding. Excellent beer and wine list. The name is very fitting. The sunset over the Pacific was fabuluos! Definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Has the Sunset set?DoctorjohnDined on 8/24/2014We often have brunch at The Sunset, but on Aug 24 our experience was nothing short of a disaster. We were promptly seated and the waiter took out order. We received our drinks quickly (except for the Blood Mary), but it took another hour to get Brunch. The waiter avoided us and we kept hearing other people at tables’ next to us complaining to the manager about the slow or no service. The manager kept apologizing for the delays. When we asked about our order, the manager stated that our order was missing. Apparently many other customers’ orders were also missing. The food finally arrived but the quality was poor: Burnt muffin and eggs with big pieces of shell! And the Bloody Mary finally arrived an hour after we ordered it.Special Features:
- a learning lessonPolentaloverVIPDined on 8/23/2014We were sat upstairs in the back corner and it was stuffy and hot. We were ignored by the waitstaff. Our food took 40 minutes to come out after we ordered. By then our kids had fallen asleep at the table. Our server was unfriendly. We usually have a wonderful experience here, but this was a disaster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous evening at The Sunset!Keturah1Dined on 8/23/2014The view is breathtaking and food is exceptional. Downstairs is definitely "energetic" while upstairs offers a quieter vibe. Awesome flourless chocolate torte!!! Happy to add this to our list of go-to restaurants!Special Features:
- Preetttyyyy.RuuuulalaDined on 8/23/2014Great vibe. Great food. Great view of the beach, but on a super busy road.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014we had a great time at The Sunset. service was good and food was great. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent serviceyogamomDined on 8/19/2014we had some friends in from out of town and this was The spot to take them. Enormous portions and tasty food made for a great night. Love the local wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location location locationGiuliaGDined on 8/16/2014The downstairs bar is always full to,the brim at sunset. The upstairs restaurant is more formal and quieter. The food is not outstanding but is good enough if you are seeking romantic beach dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Water View LoverLasagnaLoverDined on 8/16/2014The restaurant is very nice. We arrived on time and within 5 minutes were seated quickly. Since it was my father's 90th birthday I had made my reservation and stated that we wanted to sit upstairs were it was a view and it was quiet. We had a fabulous waitress Mia who seemed to fawn over my dad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a view!Britmick22Dined on 8/14/2014Well named the sunset was amazing as was the food. A good mix of clientele dressed up or just from the beach, but it doesn't matter because the food and view is what makes this place.Special Features:
- The SunsetPaulDined on 8/12/2014Perfection! Food was Amazing! Service was flawless! View was Beautiful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Celebrated my marriage anniversary here and the place was great. Upon arrival, we were surprised by how loud and live the place was due to the crowd there for the bar/lounge area; and there was also a wedding reception taking place. We waited for a few minutes and was seated upstairs where the noise was not so bad. Had a great friendly waiter, and the food was great. Tried the halibut, and my wife had the clam linguine; ended with the flour-less chocolate cake. All was tasty and worth the money. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarolynDined on 8/9/2014Our overall experience at The Sunset was excellent. The staff were friendly and attentive, the food delicious and well presented. We enjoyed the watercress and heart of palm salad, followed by mussels in a wonderful white wine broth. Shall definitely try the grilled octopus when we next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ViewkcmickeyVIPDined on 8/8/2014We had a great experience celebrating our dad's birthday here. Had a great lunch with a beautiful view. The food was good and the the staff members were nice. Will definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Great location but disappointedEatDrinkBeHappyDined on 8/7/2014The restaurant has a very cool atmosphere and must be great during the day and at sunset. The food and drinks were good, the service was fine however as a new customer we felt somewhat unwelcome by the manager as he seemed to great all customers he knew and did not once say hello to make sure with us that we too were having a good experience.Special Features:
- Very poor service and the food !OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2014We been waiting for our salad for 40min , server never check in our table. I will never go back to this place. Valet Parker guy was very friendly and nice
- Fabulous Beach DiningBritgirlVIPDined on 8/2/2014I keep coming back to this great beach restaurant. A great view, good food and service. Perfect for all occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual fine diningCzarinaDined on 8/1/2014The restaurant is more casual than the pictures I saw suggest. Some diners came in from the beach in their beach clothes. But despite the casual atmosphere, the restaurant has a fine dining feel to it. We really enjoyed sitting right next to the open window where we could watch the beach scene. The $5 valet parking charge was well worth it as the beach was crowded. There were not white table cloths, but there were cloth napkins. The service was excellent. The food was delicious, especially the salmon and gelato dessert.Special Features:
- Perfect brunch in MalibuJMurph212Dined on 7/27/2014We absolutely LOVED this restaurant! We had a reservation and were sat at a table on the second floor right by the window with a breathtaking view of the beach and the perfect cool ocean breeze. The food was very delicious, staff was extremely kind and overall was extremely relaxing! The menu had plant of delicious options to choose from so I highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Great as usualMannMDined on 7/27/2014Only compliant this time was that the service was not at all attentive. We must have waited at least 30 minutes at the end of our meal to get service to order coffee.Special Features:
- RockDined on 7/27/2014Brunch very good, Order everything that you want, including salt, pepper, hot sauce , and butter when you order since they are so busy and have delays on the staples. Very kind to try... I had crab benedict and it was very good. Could have had more tarragon lobster sauce. My husband had bacon and eggs. He likes the salt/pepper and butter on toast. No staples were offered and it took a while to get. The staff is very eager to get the order correct. Valet was rude when I wanted to keep my key. There was no reason since I parked my car myself. They then said okay. Was really not necessary.Special Features:
- Great Spot!foodieManDined on 7/26/2014Very comfortable setting. Great food, good wine list, and energetic lounge after dinner. I would recommend and dine there again. Reservation worked perfect with the requested window table available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014Really good food and service, but the location is a challenge, on a two lane road into the beach parking lot, which was full when we turned off PCH and made us late for reservation. Thank goodness for valet parking! Granted, our reservation was for 1:00pm on a Saturday in July, but it will make be think twice, depending on time of year and time of day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food OK view at some tables A+food10Dined on 7/25/2014Food is good, but the place is about the view. Grilled octopus was good. Fish Tacos are good. Sides are just OK. Staff friendly.
- s2artrVIPDined on 7/24/2014Definitely the "in spot" for happy hour which goes on until 8 PM. Can't beat $5 drinks and appetizers in the bar. The same items are $10-15 in the diningroom. In the main diningroom, food portions are huge. We shared a salad, a fabulous ahi tartar appetizer, and an a scallops entree. We took home half of the scallops entree as the huge salad and appetizer were so filling. The view from the restaurant of the sunset over the ocean was great and romantic. We will return soon.Special Features:
- Love that sunsetShamurocksDined on 7/23/2014Very attentive service from the waiter and the bus boy, the wine selection was great and even had some nicer ones at a fair price. The food was excellent as always, with plenty of info from the waiter on the current specials and his personal favorites. Plus the staff in general paid great attention to the fact that it was my girlfriend's birthday and greeted her kindly. Very comfortable setting and the perfect view, this is why I keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.