6800 Westward Beach Rd.
Malibu, CA 90265Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thesunsetrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (310) 589-1007
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm- 4:00pm
Brunch: Satuday & Sunday 11:00am-4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Dinner: Friday & Saturda: 4:00-10:00 pm
Dinner: Sunday 4:00 - 9:00 pm
Happy Hour: Monday-Thursday 3pm-8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Enrico Glaudo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The Sunset Restaurant offers an unmatched location for any type of special event. Private Parties can be accommodated from 18 guests to 200. "My Fox LA Hotlist" voted us #1 Best Wedding Venue in Southern California! We are also perfect for wrap parties, bar mitzvahs, corporate events and business functions.
- Private Party Contact: Grace Rocoffort de Vinniere 310-589-2027x
- Entertainment: The best local DJ's play nightly on the weekends Friday-Sunday, inspiring amazing dance parties. Located on the first floor bar area that overlooks dolphins and whales frolicking in the waves as the sun sets over the pacific. You won't want to miss it.
A word from The Sunset
Welcome to The Sunset Restaurant, located on a beautiful stretch of Zuma Beach in Malibu, California. As you drive up to our secluded restaurant location, the first thing you'll notice is the breathtaking ocean views and magnificent Pacific horizons. Situated a few steps from the waves, and the passerby whales, The Sunset offers a unique setting unmatched in Southern California.Continued
To view our menus, please copy & paste the link below:
To view our menus, please copy & paste the link below:
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Sunset - Best Restaurants in Malibu ›
The Sunset reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (67)romantic (43)special occasion (36)neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (30)vibrant bar scene (24)great for lunch (23)hot spot (21)great for brunch (19)good for groups (19)late-night find (8)great for outdoor dining (8)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Sunset MalibuEatAtSunsetDined on 10/28/2014Have eaten there twice in the last week. Had the Salmon and Chicken dinners. The food, seasoning, preparation and presentation was outstanding. Being right across the street from the Malibu beach, he view of the actual sunset from the dining room is spectacular. We plan on eating there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Location, Terrible ServiceEricFDined on 10/11/2014The Sunset has an awesome view and makes good use of it with plentiful, large windows. Its food is on par with other quality seafood restaurants in Makibu. However, between not having our reserved table ready more than 20 minutes after our reservation and our waiter barely stopping by to take our order, we were unimpressed. There are at least four other nearby restaurants with as good or better food and locations, but with much better service and lower noise levels more conducive to conversation.Special Features:
- The Sunset is AmazingBenHDined on 10/10/2014The beach view and the amazing food made my first but definetly not last experience at The Sunset amazing! The food was fresh, creative, and most of all delicious. The service and hospitality was amazing as they were quick, nice, and convenient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationKimsjoyDined on 10/10/2014This was a perfect way to celebrate my husband bday. We ate, drank and watched the sunset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT RESTAURANT W/VIEWFancyNancy2Dined on 10/3/2014This is by far my favorate restaurant! Food/View & Service is always great! A local Gem!!I will be back soon...Special Features:
- After 35 years --Still GreatloubarryDined on 10/3/2014I first came to the Sunset in 1979-1980. It then had a very vibrant a great Sushi bar, and the physical arrangements were different. The food was great then and very romantic at night---for dinner or sushi or just drinks. The layout has changed and the sushi bar is gone but the ambience still wonderful, food good and service for us was great. I recently read some reviews of customers not pleased with service and/or food. I can't imagine what happened to them because I have always had a very good experience. Ever since I introduced the Sunset to my wife (only married three years now) she is always looking for reason to dine here. With my most recent experience EVRY customer/patron will be happy.Special Features:
- great malibu spotMalibuandyDined on 9/28/2014Always a nice time at The Sunset! Food was good and ambiance is great right on Westward Beach.Special Features:
- Been there many timesIdoLVIPDined on 9/25/2014It is a great place. The menu should change more often. Specially if you come there often. There is a lack of busboys and the waiters do not even get the time to be personable. I did had a bad experience with the food which could have been a health hazzard. The owner of the place did not handle it well, especially since we have been spending there lots of money. Oh well. We should live with that, I assume.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/24/2014Fantastic! Best place to view the sunset; steps away from the sand, sitting in a beautiful setting and enjoying a delicious meal . = )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/21/2014David our waiter was awesome! He recommended the shrimp pasta which my girlfriend ordered and I had the seafood platter. We also tried the fried calamari and flatbread appetizers which were both tasty. Will definitely go here again! Only issue we had was finding parking but we just ended up using the valet which wasn't a big problem.Special Features:
- KalimaBKNYLAVIPDined on 9/13/2014There was a beautiful wedding going on the day I dined. Cool DJ in the lounge for us as the wedding reception went on too. Lovely place and great viewSpecial Features:
- Fun at the beach!HappyBillyDined on 9/13/2014This is a restaurant that is at the end of the street on Zuma Beach...with gorgeous sunset views...and a hot spot for weddings and receptions! Of note - the bar is small and they have a DJ blasting music which is unnecessary...this is a RELAXING place, not a disco! We couldn't hear the ocean over the music and we came for the solitude!Special Features:
- Don't go for the food!HenryDined on 9/12/2014We wanted a low key funky beach vibe restaurant to celebrate our anniversary. I had never heard of your restaurant and now I know why. The food was horrible. The waiter was not good and the manager who knew we were unhappy avoided us like the plague. The only nice person there was the hostess who greeted us with a "Happy Anniversary" from there it went downhill. The cocktails were okay. The food was overcooked to the point of being inedible. The Langostines were so over cooked you could barely scrape any of the meat out of the shells and the Lamb came so well done and tough you could barely cut it, let alone eat it. The Manager avoided us like the plague. Sad because it is a great location and could be a real gem.Special Features:
- Oh my, the octopus is amazingSteveVIPDined on 9/7/2014We love The Sunset and have been coming here a lot, so I've started to branch out from my usual favorites (salmon) and explore the menu more. Just for kicks the other day I tried the octopus. I naively assumed I'd get a plate of baby octopus or something like that. (I admit I may not have read the menu thoroughly.) Instead I got a single large octopus arm, from base to tip. I expected it to be a bit rubbery but it had an amazing texture, nothing like what you'd expect. Imagine a texture scale from a typical firm white fish on one end (call it 1) and one of The Sunset's succulent Mexican White Shrimp on the other end (call it 10). The octopus was about a 7 on that texture scale, kinda like shrimp but somewhat like fish too. The taste? A 10!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014Very disappointed with crab Benedict -- almost no crab! And I had been recommending this restaurant to all my friends...not any more.
- The Beautiful SunsetAnyaBaganyaDined on 9/5/2014This is a very special restaurant - on the beach with the waves crashing just outside your window. The food, drink and service are wonderful. We've been coming here for years and will continue to do so for years to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The view is incredible!LisaJDDined on 9/2/2014The food was delicious and the service was wonderful. Everyone was so pleasant and helpful. I would dine here again in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service & views; food o.k.jamminDined on 9/2/2014The hostess and all the wait staff were great--very attentive. The medium steak we ordered was medium well with no pink inside. The mahi-mahi was good, not great...should have ordered the salmon. However, the views are amazing looking out on the ocean! Overall I would recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View,Delicious foodhealthy4utooDined on 9/2/2014After trying to avoid the beautiful sunset shining directly in our eyes, moving to a table away from the windows, food was delicious when we finally got it. Seemed too many waiters not knowing what each other was doing, or who was handling what part of our dining experience. Had to ask several different people several times for more bread, salt,pepper, extra plates (we were sharing). Seats are hard wood, not very comfortable. Other than above, experience is always great at the Sunset, always delicious food and always a "great view".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to Dine!FancyNancy2Dined on 8/30/2014Our reservation was at 6:30PM and we haD a perfect table overlooking the sand and the ocean! Sun was setting and the atmosphere wa terrific! Food and Service was wonderful.. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone that luv to watch the sunset with a good glass of wine! A hidden Gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodPumpvixenVIPDined on 8/29/2014The food was excellent and the view of the ocean was magnificent. The place was packed, you definitely need a reservation. We had the shrimp scampi pasta with spinach, which was extremely flavorful. I found the best salad extremely fresh and light. We truly appreciated the conscientious wait staff, they were very attentive to our needs.Special Features:
- DISCO FOR DINNEROpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014Have enjoyed a great lunch there. The dinner atmosphere however, is HORRIFIC for celebrating anyone you want to hold a conversation with. An obnoxiously loud DJ plays dance music with drunk bar patrons making sure everyone knows they are having a blast! Lunch menu was great. Dinner was mediocre at best.Special Features:
- papandajDined on 8/27/2014Great Restaurant! Italian seafood specialties were outstanding. Excellent beer and wine list. The name is very fitting. The sunset over the Pacific was fabuluos! Definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Has the Sunset set?DoctorjohnDined on 8/24/2014We often have brunch at The Sunset, but on Aug 24 our experience was nothing short of a disaster. We were promptly seated and the waiter took out order. We received our drinks quickly (except for the Blood Mary), but it took another hour to get Brunch. The waiter avoided us and we kept hearing other people at tables’ next to us complaining to the manager about the slow or no service. The manager kept apologizing for the delays. When we asked about our order, the manager stated that our order was missing. Apparently many other customers’ orders were also missing. The food finally arrived but the quality was poor: Burnt muffin and eggs with big pieces of shell! And the Bloody Mary finally arrived an hour after we ordered it.Special Features:
- a learning lessonPolentaloverVIPDined on 8/23/2014We were sat upstairs in the back corner and it was stuffy and hot. We were ignored by the waitstaff. Our food took 40 minutes to come out after we ordered. By then our kids had fallen asleep at the table. Our server was unfriendly. We usually have a wonderful experience here, but this was a disaster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous evening at The Sunset!Keturah1Dined on 8/23/2014The view is breathtaking and food is exceptional. Downstairs is definitely "energetic" while upstairs offers a quieter vibe. Awesome flourless chocolate torte!!! Happy to add this to our list of go-to restaurants!Special Features:
- Preetttyyyy.RuuuulalaDined on 8/23/2014Great vibe. Great food. Great view of the beach, but on a super busy road.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014we had a great time at The Sunset. service was good and food was great. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent serviceyogamomDined on 8/19/2014we had some friends in from out of town and this was The spot to take them. Enormous portions and tasty food made for a great night. Love the local wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location location locationGiuliaGDined on 8/16/2014The downstairs bar is always full to,the brim at sunset. The upstairs restaurant is more formal and quieter. The food is not outstanding but is good enough if you are seeking romantic beach dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Water View LoverLasagnaLoverDined on 8/16/2014The restaurant is very nice. We arrived on time and within 5 minutes were seated quickly. Since it was my father's 90th birthday I had made my reservation and stated that we wanted to sit upstairs were it was a view and it was quiet. We had a fabulous waitress Mia who seemed to fawn over my dad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a view!Britmick22Dined on 8/14/2014Well named the sunset was amazing as was the food. A good mix of clientele dressed up or just from the beach, but it doesn't matter because the food and view is what makes this place.Special Features:
- The SunsetPaulDined on 8/12/2014Perfection! Food was Amazing! Service was flawless! View was Beautiful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Celebrated my marriage anniversary here and the place was great. Upon arrival, we were surprised by how loud and live the place was due to the crowd there for the bar/lounge area; and there was also a wedding reception taking place. We waited for a few minutes and was seated upstairs where the noise was not so bad. Had a great friendly waiter, and the food was great. Tried the halibut, and my wife had the clam linguine; ended with the flour-less chocolate cake. All was tasty and worth the money. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarolynDined on 8/9/2014Our overall experience at The Sunset was excellent. The staff were friendly and attentive, the food delicious and well presented. We enjoyed the watercress and heart of palm salad, followed by mussels in a wonderful white wine broth. Shall definitely try the grilled octopus when we next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ViewkcmickeyVIPDined on 8/8/2014We had a great experience celebrating our dad's birthday here. Had a great lunch with a beautiful view. The food was good and the the staff members were nice. Will definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Great location but disappointedEatDrinkBeHappyDined on 8/7/2014The restaurant has a very cool atmosphere and must be great during the day and at sunset. The food and drinks were good, the service was fine however as a new customer we felt somewhat unwelcome by the manager as he seemed to great all customers he knew and did not once say hello to make sure with us that we too were having a good experience.Special Features:
- Very poor service and the food !OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2014We been waiting for our salad for 40min , server never check in our table. I will never go back to this place. Valet Parker guy was very friendly and nice
- Fabulous Beach DiningBritgirlVIPDined on 8/2/2014I keep coming back to this great beach restaurant. A great view, good food and service. Perfect for all occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual fine diningCzarinaDined on 8/1/2014The restaurant is more casual than the pictures I saw suggest. Some diners came in from the beach in their beach clothes. But despite the casual atmosphere, the restaurant has a fine dining feel to it. We really enjoyed sitting right next to the open window where we could watch the beach scene. The $5 valet parking charge was well worth it as the beach was crowded. There were not white table cloths, but there were cloth napkins. The service was excellent. The food was delicious, especially the salmon and gelato dessert.Special Features:
- The following 669 reviews are from the The Sunset reviews archive.