The Summer House Restaurant
17 Ocean Avenue
Siasconset, MA 02554Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The Summer House Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://thesummerhouse.com/
- Phone: 5082579976
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Robert Wood
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Piano Music Nightly
A word from The Summer House Restaurant
The Summer House Restaurant is known not only for its picturesque Siasconset location but also for its imaginative contemporary cuisine and outstanding wine list. Dinner each evening is an event - subdued lighting, flickering candles, fresh flowers and the music from the Piano Bar combine to create an atmosphere of days gone by and the true romance that is Nantucket. Dinner on the porch overlooking the ocean and the starry night sky is a true taste of Nantucket summer. Before or after dinner, drinks are available at the delightful Piano Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Summer House Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (10)romantic (9)scenic view (9)fit for foodies (9)great for outdoor dining (8)neighborhood gem (6)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (4)good for groups (4)hot spot (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Always wonderful!foodforthoughtVIPDined on 9/20/2014A great meal, as alwasy. An off-season delight in Sconset!
- A magical nighttashdeanVIPDined on 9/9/2014We came here on our honeymoon and had such a beautiful night. The food and wine were both excellent and the vibe with the pianist (and several patrons singing along) was fun and added to our evening.Special Features:
- Never disappoints!ACKfanVIPDined on 8/26/2014Quiet, beautiful, great piano player, excellent food and wine. Decor is classic Nantucket (hydrangea and Sconset themes) but it's not stuffy! Perfect meal with great hospitality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always beautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014The service was great and prefect place for family dinner on Nantucket. The food was very good not large and but good. It is pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate ExperienceRandyDined on 8/13/2014The quality of the service either makes or breaks a dining experience - in this case, it broke. After years of coming to Nantucket, I finally made it to Summer House with several friends. We had late reservations but arrived early due to inclimate weather and we had great drinks at the bar. The table was available early and we were taken to a cramped table against two other parties even though most of the restaurant was available. The waiter was cold and indifferent and gave off a very inhospitable vibe. Though everything we ordered was good, nothing was better than other restaurants in town. I can't add Summer House to my list of favorite Nantucket restaurants.Special Features:
- DisappointmentDrBob31VIPDined on 8/4/2014This was a highly touted restaurant which turned out to be a disaster. The noise level was too much. The waiters never brought the food and consistently kept asking for wine refills. We waited and waited amidst the din of a piano that was pounced upon by several people who had too much to drink. This is not a place to which I would ever return.
- Like being in another worldOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/25/2014I've been to the Summer House many times and it has become a cherished annual outing for me and my family. Each time we go, it transports us back to a more gracious time with its relaxed yet timeless seaside elegance. My children, now in their 20s and teenage years, look forward to dressing up and enjoying a special dinner all together. The waitstaff couldn't be more dedicated to everyone's enjoyment, treating my son from a very early age like a gentleman with discerning taste. :) If you can afford to splurge on occasion, this is a restaurant we feel has always been worth it, just for the beautiful setting, excellent service and wonderfully prepared food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceDiningoutDined on 7/21/2014The setting was the perfect spot for our 30th Anniversary dinner. The menu offered several options, and we were not disappointed with our selections. The service was fantastic, attentive and helpful when making our choices. Highly recommended for an intimate dinner or group get together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Groups gathering raucouslyfoodiefamDined on 7/16/2014Classic Nantucket spot with hydrangea displays and white table cloths, all candle lit. Our Wednesday 8:30 dinner proved unfortunate- 2 lg. groups were seated. LOUD convo, ++wine and drinks so no way we could compete with the noise. Clam chowder earned high marks as "the best ever";plenty clams ,not too heavy cream. Lobster fra diavolo, fluke over a cauliflower puree and crab cake ; spices of the fra diavolo were just a bit too strong, but the other entrees earned high marks. Finishing; whoopie pie sundae, limoncello! Fantastic! The prices are pare for the island.Special Features:
- Summer House, July 2014ACKSummerResidentDined on 7/5/2014This place is always a good time. July 4th weekend skewed the crowd towards late evening due to the hurricane and fireworks shift to July 5th, so the quiet dinner saw the crowd return after 9PM. Food was very good this year. Brand new waitstaff, though the bartender was back as normal. Apps were decent, and the entrees (Swordfish, and Cod special) were stunningly good, with a great balance of ingredients and flavors. Dessert was OK, but we were pretty lit by then. The menu has been simplified, I think, to attend to the wide range of diners, especially large families at the earlier seating - I mean, who leads with Duck on a summer menu? All in all, a great experience in a classic Nantucket room. I'll be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 22 reviews are from the The Summer House Restaurant reviews archive.
- Lovely eveningPamAlaVIPDined on 6/23/2014Cool so no outside dining but this was a romantic place, candles and piano. Food was lovely and waiter was a nice young man. Clam chowder excellent, made up for each diner, not ahead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTEDSunnyVIPDined on 9/13/2013We made this reservation months ahead knowing we were going to be there for our anniversary. The Summer House used to always be a very special restaurant on the island. Based on our last experience, we will never return. How sad!!!Special Features:
- Glorious evening: Summer HouseCfw1VIPDined on 9/12/2013My husband and I are glad we took the recommendation by a 20-something Nantucket regular who stated this was his favorite place on the island. The beautiful gardens have chairs if you want to enjoy a cocktail. I thoroughly enjoyed my lobster fra diavolo but it was the quail's egg stuffed with foie gras that blew me away. My husband loved his octopus appetizer and the cod with mussels entree. The octopus was tender with subtle textures and a light sauce to avoid masking the delicate flavor. We also found the staff including the hostess, bartender, waiter, and bus-gentleman all to be professional while enhancing a relaxed Nantucket ambiance. Great place to spend our last night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before you order the 1982 PortOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/30/2013Ask to see the bottle. We were mislead and given a bait and switch. We ordered glasses of the 1982 Port off their list and they gave us something else without telling us. I did not believe it was 1982 and I asked to see the bottle. They did not have the 82' bottle and the poor sever was made to take the fall and say he made a mistake. Beware!Special Features:
- Started strong, but faded in endCohBDined on 8/30/2013A lovely spot with excellent food and a wonderful shabby beach chic vibe. Unfortunately, a well-intentioned wait staff lost control of the room when a party of 20 came in. Our desserts took 45 minutes to arrive and it made for a negative end to an otherwise very pleasant evening. Would have been more tolerable if we could hear the piano player, but the noise was overwhelming (mostly from this one over-served party).Special Features:
- Good but..OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2013Good but did not live up to expectations. For a relatively quiet night we should have gotten a better table. We were put in the side room, it was practically empty. The lights were too bright. They put someone w a stroller next to us. Ugh. An expected romantic dinner for 2 felt like sitting onstage in bright lighting next to a nursery. All for over $250. Not sure if they are playing favorites or just oblivious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arrive early and have a cocktailMikeMDined on 8/22/2013Arrive early and have a cocktail down by the pool and beach.Special Features:
- David MDaveVIPDined on 8/14/2013Not good for me overpriced even for Nantucket which is hard to do.
- Great ambiance !AmybDined on 8/10/2013We requested a specific table outside and they gave it to us! We come here every year because we love this spot but this year it was exceptional. Our server Carl had a great personality and he was efficient. In years past we have had snobbie waiters and terrible food. It has a beautiful location and we will definite return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful placeNantucketphotogDined on 7/29/2013Lovely ambiance with a good wine selection. I was a bit surprised by the push for us to be so prompt for our reservation as the dinning room was 1/2 empty. 3 out of 4 had a very nice meal and the 4th's was replaced without question. Prices were high. As are many things on island. I would say that as entries reach $45 or more the establishment limits greatly those that will avail themselves of this wonderful location. Would I go again? Of course. Though I might eat at the bar, or consider starting a hedge fund.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- take a passradioFlyerDined on 7/26/2013Good food horrendous service. Started with our greeting and worked right through our innattentive waiter. Food was good but can't make up for being treated terribly.
- Location is great, food and serviceDionisVIPDined on 7/26/2013We hadn't been here for a few years. The location is magnificent. That is as far as it goes. Unless it gets new ownership we will not be back. Overlooked halibut, poor service and indifferent staff add up to disappointment.
- Service was unacceptablewinelawyerDined on 7/26/2013I have loved this sconset neighborhood jem for years. I have to admit that the service has never been great. However, this often busy restaurant has always had staff that tried. This year the staff seems to have given up and are entirely indifferent to the hour long wait to get seated and then again to get appetizers to the table.
- Great food and ambianceoconnellk10Dined on 7/24/2013Always a delight to dine at the Summer House. My wife and I had our wedding rehearsal dinner hosted there many years ago. It's always fun to visit and recall that night.Special Features:
- Summer House experienceMikeDined on 7/6/2013Summer house came highly recommended by friends. Mynexperience was not very good. Reservation at 8:45, seated at 9:25 after complaining. Dinner served an hour later at 10:25. Food was actually pretty good once we received it. In fairness it was July 4 th week and they seemed totally overwhealmed by the activity. Overall not a good experience for us.Special Features:
- Good food but terrible service.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/6/2013Good food but terrible service. We don't know what has happened to this restaurant, which used to be a favorite of ours.Special Features:
- Late startdrifterDined on 6/29/2013I guess the Summer House doesn't get into gear for another few weeks. Although the setting is as charming as ever, the food was very disappointing, which, in the past, has not been the case. We'll try them again later in the season.Special Features:
- Don't GoNeveragainDined on 6/22/2013I ordered the lamb medium rare and it came well done. I asked that it be taken back and the waiter was gracious and brought back a new lamb dish. It was well done and rubbery. At that point, I asked to switch to the Lobster Fra Diavolo. That dish came with the pasta grossly overcooked. When my bill came, I noted that they still charged me for my meal, even though I ate 25 minutes after the rest of my party. The manager did not come to apologize, offer a free dessert, or a credit on my bill, or even a future gift certificate. The waiter tried but to no avail. For an expensive, fine dining restaurant, this was a travesty. We used to go annually, but never again.Special Features:
- somewhat overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/21/2013Decent but overpriced items. When one of our party ordered a steak, waiter did not ask how it should be cooked. Steak knives were nothing more than glorified butter knives with a few serrations that could not adequately cut the meat-waiter told us that was all they had for steak. Steak was not very good-a lot of gristle-and clearly overpriced. Even though restaurant was empty except for a table of mostly children outside, our waiter at times abandoned us to socialize with them along with some of the other wait staff. Waiter was polite, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uber PoshRedmanDined on 8/25/2012Another overpriced hyped restaurant with great location. Apparently $500.00 Meals for 4 doesn't bother a lot of people though. Packed - and the patrons don't mind poaching your cab either!
- Not What it Used to Be!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2012Fair food and poor service. Server kept us waiting for 20 minutes once we sat down - he only came over once we got his attention. Food was overpriced and mediocre at best. Very bland - mushy crab cake and squash blossom served with dry lettuce on the side. Could have made my $27 vegetarian summer linguine pasta entree at home for $10. Our server stopped pouring wine halfway through dinner so I assumed we had finished our bottle - only to find 1/4 bottle left after we had finished dessert. When we asked to take it home they said they had thrown away the cork. Not acceptable. The only good thing about this place is the atmosphere. Todd English has ruined what has always been an island classic with his horrible food and service. Get a clue!Special Features:
- We've been coming to the SummerLaurenVIPDined on 8/21/2012We've been coming to the Summer House for so so many years and have to say it was the most disappointing meal. Waste of money for the price.Special Features: