The Stinking Rose
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
The Stinking Rose
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thestinkingrose.com/
- Phone: 4157817673x1
- Hours of Operation:
Daily 11:30 am - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: J. C. Becerra
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have three private dining rooms: Washington Square can accommodate 22 people, the Chianti Room can accommodate 54 people, and the Chuck Kennedy Room can accommodate 65 people. The entire restaurant can accommodate 300 people.
- Private Party Contact: Jeff Borders 4157817673x740
A word from The Stinking Rose
Garlic rules at this world famous North Beach restaurant where dining is an experience for all the senses. Charming private dining areas with unique decor: hanging Chianti bottles, glowing candles, cozy booths and chandeliers. Tureens and sizzling skillets of seafood tantalize and thrill...follow your nose to The Stinking Rose!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Stinking Rose reviews from OpenTable diners
387 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (148)neighborhood gem (145)fit for foodies (142)good for groups (122)hot spot (80)romantic (76)great for lunch (50)kid-friendly (49)late-night find (26)notable wine list (16)great for outdoor dining (15)great for brunch (13)vibrant bar scene (11)scenic view (10)Show More
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Great food and service. Very veggie friendly. I will defiantly go to eat there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An evening of garlicFrequentDinerDined on 9/26/2014First of all I love Garlic! Menu was limited, service was slow and I didn't get the Garlic infusion that I imagined.
- Love the service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Our waiter was fantastic! He's recommendations were wonderful and he remembered I mentioned it was my husbands birthday when I made the reservation. My husband said how much he liked the garlic and parsley in oil and he brought out a large to go container of it to take home. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not upto our expectationsnaviodiner4Dined on 9/25/2014The food was a bit underwhelming for what we had expected. Their signature dish - Bagna Calda was not as 'unique' as we were expecting it to be. I ordered the Lamb Shank and it was cooked well and served with mashed potatoes and flava beans. However, nothing unique about the dish. My wife ordered the Butter sauce Fresh Fettuccine and she didn't feel like the pasta was freshly made. The seating is also not very comfortable and it felt like the table is too far away from the chairs (fixed) and you have to continuously lean in to get involved in the food or have a conversation. The ambiance is uniquely designed with wine bottles and garlics hanging from the ceiling but nothing extraordinary. May be were expecting a little too much.
- Two Thumbs Up!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/24/2014I brought a group of 15 and was concerned that only one waitress was assigned to my table. Jaclyn was excellent and handled the group wonderfully!! The food was delicious and everything came out at a nice pace. I would suggest The Stinking Rose to anyone coming to San Fran!Special Features:
- disappointedsosoDined on 9/23/2014the atmosphere was nice,appatizers really good, but the main course was not I had baby back ribs they were over cooked and very dry not enough bbq sauce,my wife had the chicken it was also dry, overall was a nice restaurant, would eat there again, would not order the ribs or chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you love garlic then this is it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014I had been here once previously on a trip to San Francisco & enjoyed it, this time I didn't find the food to be as good. I had the rabbit which I focus to be quite tough & hard to eat. My partner had the lamb shank though & said it was wonderful so maybe I just made the wrong choice! Very good service though.Special Features:
- Always EXCELLENT!!!!Mik67Dined on 9/20/2014As always, the food and service was outstanding!!!! Server was very attentive-offered great suggestions and checked on us frequently.Special Features:
- Great foodJennyDined on 9/20/2014The food is great and the furnishings are interesting. It's a tight squeeze if you are dining with a group larger than four. The noise level is very high.Special Features:
- Garlic ParadiseStinkinFoodiesDined on 9/20/2014We always love the Stinking Rose! We went with friends after seeing Motown. Two of us had the ribs (for the first time), which were a big hit. One of us had the garlic potato soup, and she loved it. I had the meatloaf, which wasn't garlicy enough for me, but was good. I thought the meatloaf and potatoes would benefit from some (garlic) sauce. It's good to try new things, even though we have our faves at the Stinking Rose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- garlickin goodbobbingDined on 9/19/2014Very pleasant, friendly staff. Great service. Fab food. Lovely wine. Great evening all round. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A "Must Do" in San FranciscoFoodieKatDined on 9/19/2014This was on our list because it's one of San Francisco's landmark restaurants. The food was good, service excellent. We went into it without expectations and pretty much only for the tourist factor, so we weren't disappointed, but there are much better Italian restaurants in Little Italy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I rememberedSnoopy1Dined on 9/19/2014Been here many times and I am not a fan of the booths with the cabana tops. The seatbacks are uncomfortable. The food is not as good either. Not sure why. Other's may disagree but I don't think the food is as good as it was 10 + years ago.Special Features:
- Garlic galore!Tyler762Dined on 9/19/2014Delicious garlic infused food in a fun atmosphere in wonderful North Beach. A great restaurant!Special Features:
- I just love itPietDined on 9/17/2014If you love garlic, this is the place to be. Almost every dish contains garlic. I just love it. And the service was excellent too.Special Features:
- Great for touristseltyleroDined on 9/17/2014Family in town - they loved it! Though of course they need to be the sort of folks that like garlic.Special Features:
- Quiet for early lunch, Garlicky!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/15/2014The food was great but I would put it more under the novelty category than awesome new favorite (I was only in town for the weekend anyway). I got the 40 clove chicken which is just a simple roast chicken dish with mashed potatoes- and lots and lots of garlic. Between that and the parsley/raw garlic dip for the focacia, I could taste garlic the rest of the day but well worth the trip. North Beach is a great neighborhood to wander around too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Garlic HeavenSiouxzqsreviewsDined on 9/13/2014If you love garlic, this place is for you. We started out with a couple of appetizers roasted garlic and the fondue which were both very good. for the entree we had the short rib, fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There was no wow factorOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014Located in Chinatown and across from little Italy. Service was friendly and polite. Food ordered (lasagna, BBQ flatbread pizza, and their garlic appetizer they are known for) but it didn't hit the spot. Food was warm and got cold quickly. It felt as if there wasn't any effort made behind the food, it was lacking passion. The lasagna portion was quite small for $20 as it didn't come with anything else. I was expecting to smell like garlic when leaving and this place just didn't meet what I was expecting.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014Food is fantastic, ambience is really fun, only complaint, very tight tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dracula's worst nightmarealwinDined on 9/12/2014You get what you wish for. Awesome food, loads of garlic and stinking for at least 3 days. So better not go on a first date there but on any other occasion. A dinner with your boss and the whole office would be an interessting challenge ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014I brought my sister in law who had never been to SF. It was not the kind of place I would go on a regular basis, sort of pricey for what you get, but interesting and fun. A great place to bring people from out of town. The food was acceptable but not terribly memorable.Special Features:
- Garlic LoversAmazingDined on 9/7/2014A fun place with great garlic food a must stop when in SFSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stinking Rose is a gembike2skiDined on 9/7/2014I hadn't been back to the Stinking Rose for several years and this return visit was as special as my memories of it. This is a must do in San Fran dining.Special Features:
- Twice Again in SFTravelhungryDined on 9/6/2014Excellent food, staff, unique and vibrant atmosphere. Well presented, busy, professional and excellent food. Easy to overdue it! Will be there again on a return trip (Froze at the deuce in the front window by tent row.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impression of a chaosCsillaDined on 9/6/2014Despite our reservation, we had to wait ca 30. Min to get our table. It was a massive chaos at 20:00 in the restaurant. We had the impression, that your employees in the entrance area are lost and can not manage the situation. They made a highly unprofessional impression. I made a foto of your colleague, standing at the reception desk and called names… Quality of the food was good, but the evening was not our favorite.Special Features:
- bad bad badOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014We had a reservation for 8pm and we were not seated until 8:45 ... the noise level was deafening due to the horrible acoustics. The food was average and the only saving grace was the garlic. The hostess, oh my! She was growling and hissing. Staff was stressed, annoyed and exhausted so the last thing on their mind was "friendly". I visited the place few years ago and my experience was very different. What happened? New management?
- Enjoyed the experiencelittlefajitaDined on 9/6/2014This restaurant is known for its heavy use of garlic, so eater beware. I throughly enjoyed my meal, as I has the sea bass. It was prepared perfectly and with lots of yummy garlic. The waiter was attentive, outgoing and entertaining. The noise level is very high. I enjoyed the energy of the restaurant and will definitively return when I come back to the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014I had a nice time however when a guest of mine came for my party even though we were done eating she wanted to order so the waiter have her a menu, but by the time he came back to our table he said, he could not take her order due to the fact that they had "other" reservations to attend to. If that was an issue why not tell me or why even sit her down? I thought it was very rude also poor service on the waiter behalf.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Garlic LoversCats3momDined on 9/5/2014The Stinking Rose is a garlic restaurant that says it seasons it's garlic with food, and that says it all! Very good food, fast service, fun atmosphere. I highly recommend it. Although we did not try the garlic ice cream, it did sound interesting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- more than enough2sherwoodsDined on 9/4/2014Upon first seating, we were treated to rolls and garlic spread. Our wait staff made sure that we were supplied with plenty of beverage. Our appetizer was out promptly and our meals followed in sufficient time. Everything was delicious and we left fully satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at this iconic joint!KatHDined on 9/3/2014We had an early week night dinner here prior to the Beach Blanket Babylon show. I had the neon ravioli which was very good; another in our party had the ribs which were tasty - the sauce was delicious. We ordered the bagna calda, but all of us preferred the raw garlic sauce that came with the bread as it had much more flavor. We tried the garlic ice cream - 2 in our party quit after the first bite; my husband and I kept eating it and honestly, after 4-5 bites all I tasted was vanilla so the garlic didn't bother me at all. It's a kitchy place to visit - some good souvenirs up front and the food was tasty and consistently good. Our server was quick and checked back often. Parking wasn't difficult, and it's a very short walk to the BBB show.Special Features:
- magdaDined on 9/1/2014Actually, we expected this restaurant to be a place for tourists in some way, however it really met our expectations. We did enjoy the food, the drinks and outstanding service - fast, discrete and with thorough knowledge of the menu. A splendid evening :)Special Features:
- Great Quality FoodCallSignMusicDined on 8/31/2014The garlic roast beef is easily one of the most amazing things I have ever had in my life! Great food and ambience, but the wait staff didn't seem very interested in serving us (two college students). Overall though, it was an amazing experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable, not remarkableMuldoonDined on 8/30/2014My prime rib was cooked perfect and was tasty (with both au-jus and horseraddish), but my wife's shrimp ciopinno was more like chilli consistency (thick) than brothy, as one might expect. Bread was nothing to write home about, especially in the land of great sourdough....but the garlic/basil tampande makes almost any bread special. Total tab was $100, including tip and one beer (no dessert).
- unique dining experiencemattystoneDined on 8/30/2014Went here for dinner. Food was very good. Had the salmon which was cooked to perfection. Recommend for any type of occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the GarlictryagainDined on 8/30/2014Always have the 40 clove garlic chicken but would love to try something else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it could be.drkiuchiDined on 8/30/2014I would like to start off by saying that the waitstaff was excellent. The service and attention were excellent, even during the busiest hours of the evening rush. Unfortunately we were seated in the upstairs portion of the restaurant in the back corner. It was cramped and very hot. Why they didn't have a single fan in the room to help cool off the customers was beyond me. Sweating through ones meal is not a fun experience to begin with. The appetizers were good, we had the meatballs and the roasted garlic. However the entrees left much to be desired. Our waitress recommended the pork chop, and my wife got the fettuccine. The chop itself was dry and overdone, & the pasta was under-cooked, dry & tasteless. Overall not a memorable experience.
- Amazing! we will be backlovinthegarlicDined on 8/30/2014We went to the city to celebrate our anniversary and had a amazing dinner. I even purchased a cookbook to see if I can re-create the magic. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at The Stinking RoselucisdDined on 8/29/2014I was happy with my first experience.The decorations are cute and fun - I love the corks and chianti bottles hanging from the ceiling. The lighting is dim but not too dark that you can't see what you're eating. We ordered the Bagna Cauda as the appetizer - SO GOOD! I would come back for this alone. I had the large iron skillet of shrimp and mussels and the bf had the 40 Clove Garlic Chicken. Both were delicious. I would say the service is lacking in some personality. I asked the server what his favorites were and he just rattled off the entree's that were asterisked *** on the menu. I can see that - I wanted to know what HE liked. Also, he didn't suggest any wines or appetizers. I felt his responses were very automatic.Special Features: