The Stinking Rose
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
The Stinking Rose
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thestinkingrose.com/
- Phone: 4157817673x1
- Hours of Operation:
Daily 11:30 am - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: J. C. Becerra
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have three private dining rooms: Washington Square can accommodate 22 people, the Chianti Room can accommodate 54 people, and the Chuck Kennedy Room can accommodate 65 people. The entire restaurant can accommodate 300 people.
- Private Party Contact: Jeff Borders 4157817673x740
A word from The Stinking Rose
Garlic rules at this world famous North Beach restaurant where dining is an experience for all the senses. Charming private dining areas with unique decor: hanging Chianti bottles, glowing candles, cozy booths and chandeliers. Tureens and sizzling skillets of seafood tantalize and thrill...follow your nose to The Stinking Rose!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Stinking Rose reviews from OpenTable diners
375 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (155)fit for foodies (142)special occasion (134)good for groups (120)hot spot (88)romantic (78)great for lunch (45)kid-friendly (45)late-night find (31)notable wine list (17)vibrant bar scene (11)great for outdoor dining (11)great for brunch (10)scenic view (10)Show More
- Best of SFOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/27/2014Love this place great food great service must love garlicSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stinking Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014The food is amazing and the service was great!! I very highly recommend this restaurant (THE MEATLOAF WAS AMAZING!!!)Special Features:
- Food worth it, service most poorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014funny idea and good food, some creations are really something special and worth ordering. However, the service really eliminates the overall experience kind of...
- Still a SF favoriteSTaaVIPDined on 10/26/2014When visiting San Francisco on business or for vacation, we always reserve a spot at the Stinking Rose for one night of the trip. We tried the garlic encrusted baby back ribs. The bagna calda is an amazing appetizer, with bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ServiceVeeyDined on 10/26/2014We dined at the Stinking Rose for my husband's 35th birthday. The experience was superb! The hostess took the cake and put it in the refrigerator for us as soon as we arrived. The waitress was top notch and she put the champagne we brought (they let you bring champagne and wine with no corkage fee) on ice for us. She even poured our glasses for us. She got all of our food orders down and was very attentive with answering our questions. We had two members of our party who arrived later. She rushed their food out so they wouldn't have to wait long for their meals. They brought the cake to us and had the lit candles on it, as well as a special birthday hat that they had for my husband to pose with. It was above and beyond my expectations!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Dinner served in 7 minutes, service is great. You like garlic you like this place.Special Features:
- Incredible restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014This is not the first time we have been to the stinking rose. Every single time they deliver on ambiance and excellent food. The menu is diverse, and it's overall a delicious restaurant. Highly, highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014poor value. Food fair, portions small. Wouldn't recommend
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/201440 clove chicken and Bagna Calda is always amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TinaUnsatisfiedDined on 10/22/2014This is the second time I have dined at The Stinking Rose and I enjoyed this visit even more than the first. The menu selection is very good and wording is humorous as well. My boneless short ribs didn't even require a knife. Our waiter was very attentive and helpful in deciding on our choices. I would definitely recommend this restaurant. It is comfortable, the food is fabulous. It is just a fun place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed visitor5oinSFDined on 10/20/2014I booked a reservation upon a recommendation for our trip to SF for my 50th birthday. I noted this was the occasion in the comment box, hoping they might take notice upon our arrival. Nope nothing was said, no special service nor table was given. In fact we sat at the most crammed table in the front of the restaurant - many business people there. My 40 clove chicken meal was good. Tiramisu was ok. With all the fabulous places to eat in this city, I would not recommend. Sorry to say, but it was not what I expected and might have rather went to Olive Garden.
- Foodie HeavenKhilzDined on 10/19/2014Every single item on that menu is better than the next. Hot spot for a nice dinner and inviting guests for a quality guaranteed experience.Special Features:
- Always FunfoodieluvDined on 10/19/2014We come here every year after the Women's Nike Run....it's fun and colorful. Since we don't live in Northern California, we do make a special effort to come to North Beach to have dinner here. The appetizers are delicious and for dinner, gnocci is always a choice.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We made reservations via open table for 7:15, arrived early, were told to have a drink at the bar as it would be a 20 min wait. We then overheard people walking in that it would be a 20 min wait. After 30 min, two trips to check on our reservation and hearing walk-ins called ahead of us we checked for a third time and were told we weren't even on the list. We were then seated right away. Then table service was slow, food mediocre. Complained to management, got the "so sorry for your experience" in that non caring voice that sounded a little too practiced. Tourist Trap, eat elsewhere in North Beach.
- classictomzDined on 10/17/2014This restaurant always exceeds my expectations. Food is excellent. I would recommend this place to anyone. I am a garlic lover and they do not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovers!FelicaLovesNathanDined on 10/12/2014We make sure to visit the Stinking Rose every time we visit San Fransisco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over rated awful experienceSeanVIPDined on 10/11/2014After hearing about how great this restaurant was our entire party was severely disappointed in the awful service and the fairy low rate food quality. With so many good restaurants in San Francisco I don't know how this place has survived this long. We will not be going back
- Touristy, But TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014This is clearly a touristy restaurant. But that doesn't detract from the food. Garlic lovers, you'll be pleased. As long as you don't mind being a little stinky when you leave, as the smell will get into your clothes. The food is delicious. They move people along, so the wait isn't usually too bad. Make sure to eat the garlic fondue appetizer. Delicious!Special Features:
- Always a good timeKeithSFVIPDined on 10/11/2014I've been coming to the Stinking Rose for years, and I think the food is as good or better now than it has ever been. Definitely nothing subtle about the food. Gotta love the garlic. Better for vegetarians now, too. They've added a new vegetarian spaghetti Bolognese that has meatless balls. Really. And I really liked it. I brought visitors from Minneapolis and they couldn't say enough about how good the food was. The biggest hit was the Panzanella salad – tomatoes, onions, pine nuts & croutons. I get that every time I go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmm MMM GarlicJaimeLadyDined on 10/11/2014You have to be a garlic lover in order to appreciate and enjoy "The Stinking Rose". They put garlic on everything, and if you don't have enough garlic, they have a garlic relish to add to it! I mean, they even had Garlic Ice Cream, though I wasn't brave enough to try that! It's very tasty and for sure a nice place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- 40 CLOVE CHICKEN EXCELLENTdavenickoDined on 10/11/2014The 40 clove Chicken was as good as we remembered if not better.The lasagna was not so good,too cheesy,as I saw other good looking dishes come out of the kitchen I almost ordered the lamb,next time lamb and chicken.Also the garlic relish with the bread was superSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for the LocalsCrabitDined on 10/10/2014The food was ordinary. The patrons were tourists.
- Stinks sooooo niceAurorafoodieDined on 10/7/2014Second time eating here and did not disappoint! My shellfish allergic wife had a braised short rib that was outstanding and I had a cioppino to die for! The waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu and the te of them were spot-on with service. Of course the garlic ice cream was a perfect way to top off the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only worth if you love garlichelocat101Dined on 10/7/2014Upon entering, you could hear, pretty clearly, the kitchen staff scolding the Asian waitress. She asked for a ticket stub, and the head cook just let her have it. The manager came out to see what was going, but didn't really do much besides ask what was going on and not really doing anything about the situation. Sure, they spoke Spanish, but it was really unprofessional to be screaming in front of the clients whether or not they can understand you or not. It's also a work environment. Sure, it may be a tough job, but there is no need to make it harder for your co-workers. In fact, even though the Asian waitress wasn't the best waitress, she was the best waitress in the restaurant. The manager (big beard) wasn't doing anything. Food is meh.Special Features:
- SFFanDined on 10/5/2014This was the first restaurant that we visited in our first trip to San Francisco--about nine years ago. The food wasn't memorable, but the place was. That's why we decided to visit The Stinking Rose once more, nine years and two kids later. I was reading a review where someone wrote, the food lacks the "wow factor", and I agree. The food is not bad at all, and I still like the place...just don't expect to be blown away :) I may visit it again, and who knows, maybe the third time's a charm.Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014My party of four was seated upstairs around two large, very loud groups. Our waiter appeared to be annoyed to be working. Very unfriendly. Prices are high for small portions. I ordered a shrimp tureen and sent it back. It was like a pizza sauce with rubbery shrimp buried in it and incredibly salty!! Other dishes, pasta and gnocci were at least flavorful. We will not be returning to this restaurant.
- Worth the waitSarahBVIPDined on 10/4/2014When I arrived and was given an estimated 25 min wait time even though I'd made a reservation a week in advance, I was annoyed. But they ended up seating us much sooner. The wait staff was clearly swamped but still very accommodating and kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes,You can overdose on Garlic!AAHHOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014We started the Bagna Calda. followed bya Med. rare Garlic Crusted Prime (melt in your mouth, make you slap yo mama!) rib filet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food!! Awesome service!JenrevDined on 10/4/2014We came here with a party of 12 sat night. The food was awesome! Service was top notch! My hubby and I ordered the garlic crab... So yummy and plenty for 2! Also ordered the garlic with French bread for a starter... A must have! No cork fee makes it even better! Defiantly would recommend this restaurant! Everything in our party was loved what they ordered! We will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UncomfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014It was uncomfortably hot. No ac. Food was good and if it had not been so unbearably hot, it would have been a super great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Went here with my husband for our anniversary because he is a garlic lover. We enjoyed our meals and there were plenty of garlic cloves accompanying our dishes (especially mine being the 40 Clove Garlic Chicken). He HAD hoped, however, that the cloves would have been prepared a bit differently; he thought they looked more like a garnish. Dishes, nevertheless, were very tasty and flavorful. Would still come here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyable experienceBulldogvetmsuDined on 9/29/2014It was a very busy night according to the waitress, but since we had a reservation we were seated immediately. We enjoyed the experience immensely. There was plenty of interesting items to look at. The food was delicious and it was definitely worth visiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun placeValerieVIPDined on 9/28/2014This was a fun place to take family visiting from out of town. Unique, charming and good food. I would take guests here again for a fun San Francisco experience.Special Features:
- Great Food but allow plenty of timeKatprintDined on 9/27/2014If you like garlicky food, you will love this restaurant! We started with the Garlic Spinach Fontina Fondue which I really recommend. My husband had Garlic Roasted Prime Rib which was a generous portion and really, really delicious. I had Chicken and Asparagus Pasta which was also very good. The only drawback was the extremely long wait. We were seated within 15 min of our reservation but it took 10-15 min for anyone to come take our drink orders, then another 10-15 min to bring our drinks and a menu, then another 10-15 min to take our food order, then about 20 min before we got our appetizer, then another 30 min to bring our meals. We expected an hour for dinner but it took almost two hours and we worried we might miss our concert.Special Features:
- Casual DinnerFoodCoachDined on 9/27/2014We got to the restaurant 45 min early and the staff was able to accommodate us with out a problem. we had a great table on the 2nd floor, our waitress was fantastic, and the food incredible (your must like (LOVE) garlic). I will recommend the restaurant and your service to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceFoodblogDined on 9/26/2014Great food and service. Very veggie friendly. I will defiantly go to eat there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudeDined on 9/26/2014The food was great. I would highly recommend going there.Special Features:
- An evening of garlicFrequentDinerDined on 9/26/2014First of all I love Garlic! Menu was limited, service was slow and I didn't get the Garlic infusion that I imagined.
- Love the service!SillyDined on 9/26/2014Our waiter was fantastic! He's recommendations were wonderful and he remembered I mentioned it was my husbands birthday when I made the reservation. My husband said how much he liked the garlic and parsley in oil and he brought out a large to go container of it to take home. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not upto our expectationsnaviodiner4Dined on 9/25/2014The food was a bit underwhelming for what we had expected. Their signature dish - Bagna Calda was not as 'unique' as we were expecting it to be. I ordered the Lamb Shank and it was cooked well and served with mashed potatoes and flava beans. However, nothing unique about the dish. My wife ordered the Butter sauce Fresh Fettuccine and she didn't feel like the pasta was freshly made. The seating is also not very comfortable and it felt like the table is too far away from the chairs (fixed) and you have to continuously lean in to get involved in the food or have a conversation. The ambiance is uniquely designed with wine bottles and garlics hanging from the ceiling but nothing extraordinary. May be were expecting a little too much.