The Stinking Rose
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
The Stinking Rose
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thestinkingrose.com/
- Phone: (415) 781-7673 ext. 1
- Hours of Operation:
Daily 11:30 am - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: J. C. Becerra
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have three private dining rooms: Washington Square can accommodate 22 people, the Chianti Room can accommodate 54 people, and the Chuck Kennedy Room can accommodate 65 people. The entire restaurant can accommodate 300 people.
- Private Party Contact: Jeff Borders 4157817673x740
A word from The Stinking Rose
Garlic rules at this world famous North Beach restaurant where dining is an experience for all the senses. Charming private dining areas with unique decor: hanging Chianti bottles, glowing candles, cozy booths and chandeliers. Tureens and sizzling skillets of seafood tantalize and thrill...follow your nose to The Stinking Rose!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Stinking Rose reviews from OpenTable diners
375 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (156)fit for foodies (148)special occasion (134)good for groups (124)hot spot (92)romantic (76)great for lunch (46)kid-friendly (45)late-night find (38)notable wine list (17)vibrant bar scene (11)scenic view (10)great for outdoor dining (9)great for brunch (7)Show More
- Great food, great ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014Took a table at 6:30 PM, seated immediately, food was great, service was first class. By the time we left at 8:30 it was packed out, but highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dining experience in San FranciscoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014We chose to eat here because of the garlic theme. We were seated at a booth. Our waiter was friendly & helpful,also very patient as we took some time to choose our meal. The slow cooled garlic was delicious. We shared a double mussels & crab with a side of vegetables. Don't let the garlic theme put you off. We ate around 100 cloves of garlic & it was smooth, creamy & mild. We shared a sundae for dessert. Great food, great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic SF without the tourist trapHolostoiVIPDined on 11/14/2014This place has been around for years and delivers above average food for the price point, as well as the garlic. Definetly worth a visit- unless you are a vampire.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorites needs a refreshptownefoodieDined on 11/14/2014We love the Stinking Rose and have been going for years. The service overall remains excellent! However our food was mediocre. Usually we rave and rave. The garlic in a bowl was delicious, and the ravioili and 40 clove garlic chicken were good, but the ribs were dry (all 3 orders) , the sauce cold and none of it had the 'OMG' it once did. We were very disappointed and hope it was just an off night as we truly love the food there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointed.CococachiDined on 11/11/2014Had many people rave about this San Francisco establishment so took some friends visiting from Mexico. Loved the atmosphere but food left much to be desired and was quite expensive. I don't mind paying for great food but this was not worth it. We did receive excellent customer service by the staff which we really appreciated!!Special Features:
- Pick the Right Room!BaronDined on 11/10/2014We ate here and everything was great BUT we realized afterward that there are 3 different rooms to choose from. Had we realized this beforehand we would have picked the more romantic room since my wife and I were on a rare vacation without our 3 kids. Food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK - but very small tablesTorbenDined on 11/10/2014Good food, fine service and excellent location at Columbus Ave. But the tables are very small for four persons eating a 3 course lunch with coctails, vine, water and coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BADOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2014This place was recommended to me by a coworker who went on about how much she likes it. I could not disagree more. Three of us went, and all ordered something different. Each of us thought the food was terrible --- one of the worst meals I've had at a restaurant in a very long time. Pork Chop, Meatloaf, and a pasta dish - don't order. Better yet, don't go. We were stuck in an open dining room near the open kitchen which was cramped, very dated, dusty and uninviting. I would guess the room had an overall cleaning sometime in the 90's maybe. As we were leaving we traveled through a much better looking dining room, but still not a place I would want to go unless the food was great, which as I've mentioned it was not!
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014We had reservations for a group of 7 on Saturday night and the place was (predictably packed). We got seated in a front area they use for groups and it was incredibly loud and hot in the area. The really bad part was, though, that it was clear the waitstaff and the kitchen were just too swamped. It took a good 20 minutes or more after we were seated to get a drink order in. Then another 20 before the waiter took an order for some appetizers. And then he just never came back. Period. Never came to take our entree orders. After being there an hour and a half my wife went to find the waiter, got the check and we left to get some takeout pizza at home. Just horrible.
- Dinner-November 8thChamo2014Dined on 11/8/2014We went to Stinking Rose for my wife's birthday. I had the Nero Ravioli, and my wife had the lasagna. The food was good, the place seems to be best fit for tourists, and not locals. The front desk forgot to tell the server to add a birthday celebration to our dinner, and gave us garlic ice cream to make up for it. The garlic ice cream was a great twist on the garlic flavor. I would recommend it for everyone to try this place once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mrskkhudDined on 11/8/2014Our celebration turned out perfect at The Stinking Rose! Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okKathyinILDined on 11/8/2014We were very excited to try this restaurant. It was mediocre and we will not go there again. Service was slow. We waited 15 minutes to be seated.....with a reservation. It took a long time to get our waiter attention and subsequent visits by him were infrequent. The food was pretty typical. My sons pepperoni pizza was nothing special. We ate ribs and they were also pretty typical.Special Features:
- Stinking fun time!INedaMintDined on 11/7/2014Our group of four had a wonderful time. I recommend the Chicken and Asparagas entree. It was delicious and so big we shared it.Special Features:
- Delicious!!TeseritaDined on 11/6/2014Great place to eat! Pasta was simply delicious!! And house wine tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- glovesmVIPDined on 11/5/2014We were placed in the side room with hanging bottles and it was fairly hot and stuffy in there. The food was great - crab and peel and eat shrimp and garlic ice cream. The service was on point with our waitress checking in on us regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Garlic paradiseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/4/2014If you love garlic, this restaurant is a MUST! Unbelievable portions of garlic cloves served at a single seating.Special Features:
- Garlic centralManfromNantucketDined on 11/4/2014If garlic is not your thing steer clear of this restaurant but if you adore garlic as I do this place will make you smile with delight. One of the better meals we had during our stay in San Francisco.Special Features:
- Nice food, slow serviceJulianSDined on 11/3/2014I ate here with my partner and a friend after seeing it listed in a guide book. The restaurant interior is pleasant if not exceptional, with a strong garlic theme, as you'd expect. I found the location of a shop immediately inside the door to be a little strange, almost as though this was a retail outlet first and foremost, and a restaurant second. The food itself was good, flavoursome and hot. Obviously there's a strong garlic flavour to everything, how much you love it personally will dictate your views on the taste, but the quality was definitely good. I found the service to be slow however, and the waiters seemed disinterested, which was a shame. I'm glad we tried it, but probably wouldn't return. It's worth a visit as a one-off
- Decentvisitjan2014Dined on 11/3/2014The food was decent but it was not as spectacular as the reviews made it seem.
- Sunday at the Stinking RoseRemnant581Dined on 11/2/2014The restaurant was absolutely stellar. It was my first time, and I was not disappointed by any aspect of the food or service. A bit over-priced, but not ridiculous in that regard. I would love to return and have some of the wine, as well as more of that delicious appetizer, Bagna Calda, which I would certainly recommend as the must-have dish at The Stinking Rose. Thank you for making my day in North Beach particularly exhilarating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of SFHungryinEscoDined on 10/27/2014Love this place great food great service must love garlicSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stinking Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014The food is amazing and the service was great!! I very highly recommend this restaurant (THE MEATLOAF WAS AMAZING!!!)Special Features:
- Food worth it, service most poorgarlicianDined on 10/27/2014funny idea and good food, some creations are really something special and worth ordering. However, the service really eliminates the overall experience kind of...
- Still a SF favoriteSTaaVIPDined on 10/26/2014When visiting San Francisco on business or for vacation, we always reserve a spot at the Stinking Rose for one night of the trip. We tried the garlic encrusted baby back ribs. The bagna calda is an amazing appetizer, with bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ServiceVeeyDined on 10/26/2014We dined at the Stinking Rose for my husband's 35th birthday. The experience was superb! The hostess took the cake and put it in the refrigerator for us as soon as we arrived. The waitress was top notch and she put the champagne we brought (they let you bring champagne and wine with no corkage fee) on ice for us. She even poured our glasses for us. She got all of our food orders down and was very attentive with answering our questions. We had two members of our party who arrived later. She rushed their food out so they wouldn't have to wait long for their meals. They brought the cake to us and had the lit candles on it, as well as a special birthday hat that they had for my husband to pose with. It was above and beyond my expectations!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Dinner served in 7 minutes, service is great. You like garlic you like this place.Special Features:
- My FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014This is by far my favorite restaurant! The food is amazing, the atmosphere is exciting. We had a romantic and fun birthday celebration dinnerSpecial Features:
- Incredible restaurant.Stephy141Dined on 10/25/2014This is not the first time we have been to the stinking rose. Every single time they deliver on ambiance and excellent food. The menu is diverse, and it's overall a delicious restaurant. Highly, highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JgjgDined on 10/25/2014poor value. Food fair, portions small. Wouldn't recommend
- mbaum1Dined on 10/24/201440 clove chicken and Bagna Calda is always amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TinaUnsatisfiedDined on 10/22/2014This is the second time I have dined at The Stinking Rose and I enjoyed this visit even more than the first. The menu selection is very good and wording is humorous as well. My boneless short ribs didn't even require a knife. Our waiter was very attentive and helpful in deciding on our choices. I would definitely recommend this restaurant. It is comfortable, the food is fabulous. It is just a fun place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed visitor5oinSFDined on 10/20/2014I booked a reservation upon a recommendation for our trip to SF for my 50th birthday. I noted this was the occasion in the comment box, hoping they might take notice upon our arrival. Nope nothing was said, no special service nor table was given. In fact we sat at the most crammed table in the front of the restaurant - many business people there. My 40 clove chicken meal was good. Tiramisu was ok. With all the fabulous places to eat in this city, I would not recommend. Sorry to say, but it was not what I expected and might have rather went to Olive Garden.
- Foodie HeavenKhilzDined on 10/19/2014Every single item on that menu is better than the next. Hot spot for a nice dinner and inviting guests for a quality guaranteed experience.Special Features:
- Always FunfoodieluvDined on 10/19/2014We come here every year after the Women's Nike Run....it's fun and colorful. Since we don't live in Northern California, we do make a special effort to come to North Beach to have dinner here. The appetizers are delicious and for dinner, gnocci is always a choice.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceFD66Dined on 10/18/2014We made reservations via open table for 7:15, arrived early, were told to have a drink at the bar as it would be a 20 min wait. We then overheard people walking in that it would be a 20 min wait. After 30 min, two trips to check on our reservation and hearing walk-ins called ahead of us we checked for a third time and were told we weren't even on the list. We were then seated right away. Then table service was slow, food mediocre. Complained to management, got the "so sorry for your experience" in that non caring voice that sounded a little too practiced. Tourist Trap, eat elsewhere in North Beach.
- classictomzDined on 10/17/2014This restaurant always exceeds my expectations. Food is excellent. I would recommend this place to anyone. I am a garlic lover and they do not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovers!FelicaLovesNathanDined on 10/12/2014We make sure to visit the Stinking Rose every time we visit San Fransisco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over rated awful experienceSeanVIPDined on 10/11/2014After hearing about how great this restaurant was our entire party was severely disappointed in the awful service and the fairy low rate food quality. With so many good restaurants in San Francisco I don't know how this place has survived this long. We will not be going back
- Touristy, But TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014This is clearly a touristy restaurant. But that doesn't detract from the food. Garlic lovers, you'll be pleased. As long as you don't mind being a little stinky when you leave, as the smell will get into your clothes. The food is delicious. They move people along, so the wait isn't usually too bad. Make sure to eat the garlic fondue appetizer. Delicious!Special Features:
- Always a good timeKeithSFVIPDined on 10/11/2014I've been coming to the Stinking Rose for years, and I think the food is as good or better now than it has ever been. Definitely nothing subtle about the food. Gotta love the garlic. Better for vegetarians now, too. They've added a new vegetarian spaghetti Bolognese that has meatless balls. Really. And I really liked it. I brought visitors from Minneapolis and they couldn't say enough about how good the food was. The biggest hit was the Panzanella salad – tomatoes, onions, pine nuts & croutons. I get that every time I go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.