The Stinking Rose
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
The Stinking Rose
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thestinkingrose.com/
- Phone: 4157817673x1
- Hours of Operation:
Daily 11:30 am - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: J. C. Becerra
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have three private dining rooms: Washington Square can accommodate 22 people, the Chianti Room can accommodate 54 people, and the Chuck Kennedy Room can accommodate 65 people. The entire restaurant can accommodate 300 people.
- Private Party Contact: Jeff Borders 4157817673x740
A word from The Stinking Rose
Garlic rules at this world famous North Beach restaurant where dining is an experience for all the senses. Charming private dining areas with unique decor: hanging Chianti bottles, glowing candles, cozy booths and chandeliers. Tureens and sizzling skillets of seafood tantalize and thrill...follow your nose to The Stinking Rose!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Stinking Rose reviews from OpenTable diners
375 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (152)fit for foodies (139)special occasion (138)good for groups (119)hot spot (84)romantic (78)kid-friendly (44)great for lunch (42)late-night find (27)notable wine list (17)great for outdoor dining (13)scenic view (11)vibrant bar scene (11)great for brunch (10)Show More
- classictomzDined on 10/17/2014This restaurant always exceeds my expectations. Food is excellent. I would recommend this place to anyone. I am a garlic lover and they do not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovers!FelicaLovesNathanDined on 10/12/2014We make sure to visit the Stinking Rose every time we visit San Fransisco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over rated awful experienceSeanVIPDined on 10/11/2014After hearing about how great this restaurant was our entire party was severely disappointed in the awful service and the fairy low rate food quality. With so many good restaurants in San Francisco I don't know how this place has survived this long. We will not be going back
- Touristy, But TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014This is clearly a touristy restaurant. But that doesn't detract from the food. Garlic lovers, you'll be pleased. As long as you don't mind being a little stinky when you leave, as the smell will get into your clothes. The food is delicious. They move people along, so the wait isn't usually too bad. Make sure to eat the garlic fondue appetizer. Delicious!Special Features:
- Always a good timeKeithSFVIPDined on 10/11/2014I've been coming to the Stinking Rose for years, and I think the food is as good or better now than it has ever been. Definitely nothing subtle about the food. Gotta love the garlic. Better for vegetarians now, too. They've added a new vegetarian spaghetti Bolognese that has meatless balls. Really. And I really liked it. I brought visitors from Minneapolis and they couldn't say enough about how good the food was. The biggest hit was the Panzanella salad – tomatoes, onions, pine nuts & croutons. I get that every time I go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmm MMM GarlicJaimeLadyDined on 10/11/2014You have to be a garlic lover in order to appreciate and enjoy "The Stinking Rose". They put garlic on everything, and if you don't have enough garlic, they have a garlic relish to add to it! I mean, they even had Garlic Ice Cream, though I wasn't brave enough to try that! It's very tasty and for sure a nice place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- 40 CLOVE CHICKEN EXCELLENTdavenickoDined on 10/11/2014The 40 clove Chicken was as good as we remembered if not better.The lasagna was not so good,too cheesy,as I saw other good looking dishes come out of the kitchen I almost ordered the lamb,next time lamb and chicken.Also the garlic relish with the bread was superSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for the LocalsCrabitDined on 10/10/2014The food was ordinary. The patrons were tourists.
- Stinks sooooo niceAurorafoodieDined on 10/7/2014Second time eating here and did not disappoint! My shellfish allergic wife had a braised short rib that was outstanding and I had a cioppino to die for! The waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu and the te of them were spot-on with service. Of course the garlic ice cream was a perfect way to top off the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only worth if you love garlichelocat101Dined on 10/7/2014Upon entering, you could hear, pretty clearly, the kitchen staff scolding the Asian waitress. She asked for a ticket stub, and the head cook just let her have it. The manager came out to see what was going, but didn't really do much besides ask what was going on and not really doing anything about the situation. Sure, they spoke Spanish, but it was really unprofessional to be screaming in front of the clients whether or not they can understand you or not. It's also a work environment. Sure, it may be a tough job, but there is no need to make it harder for your co-workers. In fact, even though the Asian waitress wasn't the best waitress, she was the best waitress in the restaurant. The manager (big beard) wasn't doing anything. Food is meh.Special Features:
- SFFanDined on 10/5/2014This was the first restaurant that we visited in our first trip to San Francisco--about nine years ago. The food wasn't memorable, but the place was. That's why we decided to visit The Stinking Rose once more, nine years and two kids later. I was reading a review where someone wrote, the food lacks the "wow factor", and I agree. The food is not bad at all, and I still like the place...just don't expect to be blown away :) I may visit it again, and who knows, maybe the third time's a charm.Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014My party of four was seated upstairs around two large, very loud groups. Our waiter appeared to be annoyed to be working. Very unfriendly. Prices are high for small portions. I ordered a shrimp tureen and sent it back. It was like a pizza sauce with rubbery shrimp buried in it and incredibly salty!! Other dishes, pasta and gnocci were at least flavorful. We will not be returning to this restaurant.
- Worth the waitSarahBVIPDined on 10/4/2014When I arrived and was given an estimated 25 min wait time even though I'd made a reservation a week in advance, I was annoyed. But they ended up seating us much sooner. The wait staff was clearly swamped but still very accommodating and kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes,You can overdose on Garlic!AAHHOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014We started the Bagna Calda. followed bya Med. rare Garlic Crusted Prime (melt in your mouth, make you slap yo mama!) rib filet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food!! Awesome service!JenrevDined on 10/4/2014We came here with a party of 12 sat night. The food was awesome! Service was top notch! My hubby and I ordered the garlic crab... So yummy and plenty for 2! Also ordered the garlic with French bread for a starter... A must have! No cork fee makes it even better! Defiantly would recommend this restaurant! Everything in our party was loved what they ordered! We will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UncomfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014It was uncomfortably hot. No ac. Food was good and if it had not been so unbearably hot, it would have been a super great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Went here with my husband for our anniversary because he is a garlic lover. We enjoyed our meals and there were plenty of garlic cloves accompanying our dishes (especially mine being the 40 Clove Garlic Chicken). He HAD hoped, however, that the cloves would have been prepared a bit differently; he thought they looked more like a garnish. Dishes, nevertheless, were very tasty and flavorful. Would still come here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyable experienceBulldogvetmsuDined on 9/29/2014It was a very busy night according to the waitress, but since we had a reservation we were seated immediately. We enjoyed the experience immensely. There was plenty of interesting items to look at. The food was delicious and it was definitely worth visiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun placeValerieVIPDined on 9/28/2014This was a fun place to take family visiting from out of town. Unique, charming and good food. I would take guests here again for a fun San Francisco experience.Special Features:
- Great Food but allow plenty of timeKatprintDined on 9/27/2014If you like garlicky food, you will love this restaurant! We started with the Garlic Spinach Fontina Fondue which I really recommend. My husband had Garlic Roasted Prime Rib which was a generous portion and really, really delicious. I had Chicken and Asparagus Pasta which was also very good. The only drawback was the extremely long wait. We were seated within 15 min of our reservation but it took 10-15 min for anyone to come take our drink orders, then another 10-15 min to bring our drinks and a menu, then another 10-15 min to take our food order, then about 20 min before we got our appetizer, then another 30 min to bring our meals. We expected an hour for dinner but it took almost two hours and we worried we might miss our concert.Special Features:
- Casual DinnerFoodCoachDined on 9/27/2014We got to the restaurant 45 min early and the staff was able to accommodate us with out a problem. we had a great table on the 2nd floor, our waitress was fantastic, and the food incredible (your must like (LOVE) garlic). I will recommend the restaurant and your service to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceFoodblogDined on 9/26/2014Great food and service. Very veggie friendly. I will defiantly go to eat there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudeDined on 9/26/2014The food was great. I would highly recommend going there.Special Features:
- An evening of garlicFrequentDinerDined on 9/26/2014First of all I love Garlic! Menu was limited, service was slow and I didn't get the Garlic infusion that I imagined.
- Love the service!SillyDined on 9/26/2014Our waiter was fantastic! He's recommendations were wonderful and he remembered I mentioned it was my husbands birthday when I made the reservation. My husband said how much he liked the garlic and parsley in oil and he brought out a large to go container of it to take home. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not upto our expectationsnaviodiner4Dined on 9/25/2014The food was a bit underwhelming for what we had expected. Their signature dish - Bagna Calda was not as 'unique' as we were expecting it to be. I ordered the Lamb Shank and it was cooked well and served with mashed potatoes and flava beans. However, nothing unique about the dish. My wife ordered the Butter sauce Fresh Fettuccine and she didn't feel like the pasta was freshly made. The seating is also not very comfortable and it felt like the table is too far away from the chairs (fixed) and you have to continuously lean in to get involved in the food or have a conversation. The ambiance is uniquely designed with wine bottles and garlics hanging from the ceiling but nothing extraordinary. May be were expecting a little too much.
- Two Thumbs Up!MAL1VIPDined on 9/24/2014I brought a group of 15 and was concerned that only one waitress was assigned to my table. Jaclyn was excellent and handled the group wonderfully!! The food was delicious and everything came out at a nice pace. I would suggest The Stinking Rose to anyone coming to San Fran!Special Features:
- disappointedsosoDined on 9/23/2014the atmosphere was nice,appatizers really good, but the main course was not I had baby back ribs they were over cooked and very dry not enough bbq sauce,my wife had the chicken it was also dry, overall was a nice restaurant, would eat there again, would not order the ribs or chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you love garlic then this is it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014I had been here once previously on a trip to San Francisco & enjoyed it, this time I didn't find the food to be as good. I had the rabbit which I focus to be quite tough & hard to eat. My partner had the lamb shank though & said it was wonderful so maybe I just made the wrong choice! Very good service though.Special Features:
- Always EXCELLENT!!!!Mik67Dined on 9/20/2014As always, the food and service was outstanding!!!! Server was very attentive-offered great suggestions and checked on us frequently.Special Features:
- Great foodJennyDined on 9/20/2014The food is great and the furnishings are interesting. It's a tight squeeze if you are dining with a group larger than four. The noise level is very high.Special Features:
- Garlic ParadiseStinkinFoodiesDined on 9/20/2014We always love the Stinking Rose! We went with friends after seeing Motown. Two of us had the ribs (for the first time), which were a big hit. One of us had the garlic potato soup, and she loved it. I had the meatloaf, which wasn't garlicy enough for me, but was good. I thought the meatloaf and potatoes would benefit from some (garlic) sauce. It's good to try new things, even though we have our faves at the Stinking Rose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- garlickin goodbobbingDined on 9/19/2014Very pleasant, friendly staff. Great service. Fab food. Lovely wine. Great evening all round. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A "Must Do" in San FranciscoFoodieKatDined on 9/19/2014This was on our list because it's one of San Francisco's landmark restaurants. The food was good, service excellent. We went into it without expectations and pretty much only for the tourist factor, so we weren't disappointed, but there are much better Italian restaurants in Little Italy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I rememberedSnoopy1Dined on 9/19/2014Been here many times and I am not a fan of the booths with the cabana tops. The seatbacks are uncomfortable. The food is not as good either. Not sure why. Other's may disagree but I don't think the food is as good as it was 10 + years ago.Special Features:
- Garlic galore!Tyler762Dined on 9/19/2014Delicious garlic infused food in a fun atmosphere in wonderful North Beach. A great restaurant!Special Features:
- I just love itPietDined on 9/17/2014If you love garlic, this is the place to be. Almost every dish contains garlic. I just love it. And the service was excellent too.Special Features:
- Great for touristseltyleroDined on 9/17/2014Family in town - they loved it! Though of course they need to be the sort of folks that like garlic.Special Features:
- Quiet for early lunch, Garlicky!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/15/2014The food was great but I would put it more under the novelty category than awesome new favorite (I was only in town for the weekend anyway). I got the 40 clove chicken which is just a simple roast chicken dish with mashed potatoes- and lots and lots of garlic. Between that and the parsley/raw garlic dip for the focacia, I could taste garlic the rest of the day but well worth the trip. North Beach is a great neighborhood to wander around too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Garlic HeavenSiouxzqsreviewsDined on 9/13/2014If you love garlic, this place is for you. We started out with a couple of appetizers roasted garlic and the fondue which were both very good. for the entree we had the short rib, fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.