The Stinking Rose
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
The Stinking Rose
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thestinkingrose.com/
- Phone: 4157817673x1
- Hours of Operation:
Daily 11:30 am - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: J. C. Becerra
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have three private dining rooms: Washington Square can accommodate 22 people, the Chianti Room can accommodate 54 people, and the Chuck Kennedy Room can accommodate 65 people. The entire restaurant can accommodate 300 people.
- Private Party Contact: Jeff Borders 4157817673x740
A word from The Stinking Rose
Garlic rules at this world famous North Beach restaurant where dining is an experience for all the senses. Charming private dining areas with unique decor: hanging Chianti bottles, glowing candles, cozy booths and chandeliers. Tureens and sizzling skillets of seafood tantalize and thrill...follow your nose to The Stinking Rose!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Stinking Rose reviews from OpenTable diners
387 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (156)special occasion (150)fit for foodies (138)good for groups (125)romantic (83)hot spot (76)kid-friendly (58)great for lunch (52)late-night find (27)great for brunch (19)notable wine list (17)great for outdoor dining (15)vibrant bar scene (11)scenic view (11)Show More
- What a findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014My husband and I are from Pennsylvania and were celebrating our 10th anniversary in San Francisco, California. My husband loves garlic, so when I found this restaurant, I was elated. Immediately walking in, I found the furnishings to be classy antique. They had two sections of seating, one for more casual dining and one that offered more dim lighting. The servers and waiter were very personable and warm yet professional. The presentation of the food was extrodinary, the flavors impectibly blending with savory flair and the aromas tantalizing. The cocktails were tasty and inventive. Although the wait time for your meal may be a limitless longer, the food is well worth the wait for a spectacular dining experience. Pricing was fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth trying!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014Went to dinner with a friend here. We had a great little table by the window that looked out onto the street. The wait staff was very friendly and the ambiance was nice. The bread could have come a little sooner and been a little warmer, but that's neither here not there. The food came out quickly but I have to say I was a little underwhelmed for it being $20 a plate. I had the lasagna which was delicious but a little lackluster, and my friend had the gnochetti which is the kind of thing you can't mess up but you could stand to do a lot more with than they did in my opinion. It was good! Just a little overrated. But, I would still recommend at least trying it out - that spread they have for the bread stayed with me for two days. Yay garlic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stinking roseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014It was okay. I ordered a pasta with an incredibly small service get size which is okay but it was not good at all. However I liked the food my fiance ordered. The servers were wonderful!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Garlic, Garlic Everywhere!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014From the moment we came in until dessert was served The Stinking Rose provided quality food and service. Nicole, our server, was friendly, attentive, and prompt with service. The wine list was very good and for our main courses we chose the Meatloaf and Tomato Pasta. Be sure to try the Garlic Ice Cream. It was a little pricey, but worth the money. Note, if you are not a fan of garlic this might not be the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014The meals were remarkably overpriced. No veggie included with the salmon diner, $9 for cremed spinach as an add on. Ha. The service was good its ashame the food was not up to the friendly service.
- Perfect stinky experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014I heard about The Stinking Rose on a traveling channel at least 10 years ago, and now that I was finally in San Francisco (from Indianapolis), I had to go! It did not disappoint. We put in reservations, which was a great idea as there was a line at the door. Each person I interacted with was very nice, and our server was the sweetest. The food was amazing - fresh, delicious, and full of garlic! We were even given a huge sample of the garlic ice cream, which I wasn't into, but the gesture was kind! I'd definitely return next time I'm in San Fran!Special Features:
- Must really want garlic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The food was good, not great but quite overpriced and under accompanied.Who want a huge rack of ribs and no veggies?? Not me. Still a fun place but too expensive for a family. And must looovve garlic. Its everywhereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heaven for Garlic Lovers!WineandDineDined on 8/23/2014When you walk in the door the smell of garlic wafts through the room. The signature roasted garlic with bread is plentiful and delicious. Add the goat cheese appetizer and you have double delicious ! The Cioppino was equally tasty. Although sceptical, we decided on the garlic ice cream for dessert and were pleasantly surprised at how good it was. This is a very busy place, so it can be a little noisy ( a table against the wall or window is better). The service was very good. We wee glad we had booked a table as when we arrived there was a line up for a table. Reservations are a must!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014This is a great place to treat family and friends. Great food with excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingTheRoadTripDined on 8/20/2014The food and service were amazing. The 40 bulb chicken was to die for. They sell a recipe book with all the recipes in which was a must for us to buy, can not wait to try and recreate the meals we had. Allow lots of time for parking as that was a nightmare.Special Features:
- food was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014The food here was excellent but the ambience was a a little bit noisy.Special Features:
- DinnerDee07Dined on 8/19/2014Good food, gotta love GARLIC.. Service was great and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay, but gimmicky.Foodie74Dined on 8/19/2014I'm a hardcore garlic fan, but my hope was that the food could stand up to the garlic. The food was fine, but not amazing, with lots of garlic in some places and not enough in others. The garlic mashed potatoes actually didn't have enough garlic, and my chicken dish had plenty of garlic cloves on the side, but not enough garlic seasoning the actual chicken. Glad I went but probably wouldn't go again given the wealth of really good restaurants in San Francisco.
- Delicious FoodOkeyDokeyDined on 8/18/2014We came here primarily for the garlic and weren't disappointed. The food was delicious, and I mixed our bagna cauda and the fresh garlic relish with just about everything. I had the arugula salad with garlic dressing and the forty clove chicken dish. The bagna cauda is served on a little flame so it stays warm, which is great. I really llked the cozy atmosphere of the "Chianti Room" where we were seated. As we were leaving, I noticed how loud and frenetic the rest of the restaurant was, and I made a mental note never to sit anywhere other than the Chianti Room. I don't think I would have enjoyed dining in a different part of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Garlic GaloreTalltiff21Dined on 8/17/2014It was definitely fun tasting all the garlic menu items the have available. We tasted quite a few things which resulted in us smelling like garlic all through the night. I'm sure I'll go again in the future and try some other garlic flavored items. Overall everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing ExperienceCalcougarVIPDined on 8/16/2014I've been to The Stinking Rose several time, but this was one of the most disappointing visits. The pork chop was smaller than my previous visits and was way overcooked, which resulted in a tough, chewy meat. The beef short rib was bland and was also a small portion. We waited a long time for our food. People around us who came after we arrived, received their food and completely ate it before ours arrived. I guess they needed the time to overcook the pork chop!
- Great food and ambianceSunsetcliffs68fDined on 8/16/2014It was my wife's birthday and I reserved a table and told them it was her birthday they were great everyone from the manager to the waitress. The drinks and the food was amazing we love garlic and enjoyed everything we ordered.. We are from San Diego and it was a great experience would recommend to all my friends and family. Our table was private and had our own chandelier my wife loved it and her birthday was a success! Thank you stinking rose! 😎Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All I can say is, "WOW!"GarlicLoverDined on 8/16/2014We visited San Fran from Washington State, when I asked people what to do there, most all of them said that we had to eat at the Stinking Rose. Based on those recommendations, we did, and we don't regret our decision. The bill was high, however, we ordered more food than we should have, but we wanted to experience most items on the menu, and I am glad we did. Had we ordered a normal amount of food, the bill would have been normal....when people aske me what to do in San Francisco, I will most definately say, Eat at the Stinking Rose, it's a must! The service was great too. We made reservations, and even though there was a line to get in, we didn't have to wait long to be seated. It is a noisy restaurant, but its a good noise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food & Fun!Di4winenfoodDined on 8/16/2014Garlic!! What a concept! This was such a great way to end our girlfriends trip to California! Not only is the menu fun, but the food is really good as well! If you're fortunate enough to have a birthday to celebrate, don't pass up this opportunity to have the staff sing to "little stinky" who will be wearing the garlic hat!Special Features:
- Great food! Fantastic tiramisuluvtodineDined on 8/16/2014If you like garlic, you will like the food. The prime rib is excellent and so is the fish. The spinach and mashed potatoes are also good. From my point of view, the star of the show is the tiramisu. One of the best I have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal as usual but rushedGarlicMeDined on 8/15/2014I've dined at the Stinking Rose and the food as always, is fantastic. Service was generally good but far too rushed. Salad was brought out while we were in the middle of our appetizer and the meal was brought out while we were in the middle of our salad. There was a long wait for a table so I guess the restaurant was trying to rush people. The meal would have been more enjoyable if we had not felt rushed.Special Features:
- great mealprincessDined on 8/14/2014Their menu isnt as extensive as some other restaurants. What they serve they make well. We love garlic, this place is a gem!!Special Features:
- SF institution, but food's just OKVTT705Dined on 8/14/2014I have not been here in about 10 years, decided to take a few visiting friends here. Garlic is the name of the game and they don't lie. We had the garlic spinach fondue which was basically a warm cheese dip served in a flat dish. It was not put over a flame like you expect fondue, so as it cooled it became very solid and rather unappetizing. There was some confusion with the bill moving from the bar to the table the ended up with us buying an additional glass of wine of top of a bottle, I was a bit disappointed that resolving this was so difficult as we had stated from the beginning at the bar that we wanted to bring the bottle of wine to the table with us. Overall I was a bit disappointed with experience.Special Features:
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/13/2014The food is always great and the restaurant can accommodate big parties. The food was served super fast, which was great since we had a 1 year old!Special Features:
- Always love it!SuperSaverSFDined on 8/13/2014We had a gift card and were able to put it to good use. We always get the 10 oz Prime Rib and look forward to the Garlic Ice Cream. I was not too sure what happened this time around, but the Prime Rib and sides had us both stuffed and there was no room for dessert. I am now thinking of making use of the rest of the gift card to get some ice cream. It is a great place and I enjoy it everytime. We had a seat next to the window so we were able to enjoy the hustle and bustle of the outside, but still each other's company. The garlic spread is especially good since you can taste the freshness of the garlic in your nose.Special Features:
- Good for touristsMarkVIPDined on 8/13/2014This is a reasonable place for tourists. There are better options in the area, but not as kid friendly.Special Features:
- DeliciousgarlicLuverDined on 8/13/2014Great garlic dishes. Well-balanced. Awesome San Francisco atmosphere. Good location (near Chinatown for a digestive walk afterwards).Special Features:
- JdellDined on 8/9/2014Food was very good, assuming you like garlic. Came out quickly, which was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Name Says It Alljp912eDined on 8/8/2014Any garlic lovers delight. From the fresh garlic relish to every dish well seasoned with an abundance of garlic to the delicious garlic ice cream all taking place in a vibrant fun atmosphere!Special Features:
- Great food at The Stinking RoseAnnafromItalyDined on 8/8/2014Although not what I would call authentic Italian (and I am Italian!), the food is absolutely delicious! I recommend the grilled shellfish combo which includes shrimp, crab, and mussel. My husband had the garlic roasted prime rib and it was very delicious as well. Service was great but it is not a cheap place to get dinner!Special Features:
- The mealsNielsajax100Dined on 8/8/2014In general the meals I had were okay. It was just that is was all so basic. I had the baby back ribs and they were cooked so long that they were a little bit dry.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/8/2014Neighborhood is red light district of SFO. Restaurant is a tourist destination. Service was fair, but no great effort even though we were basically the only large party at the time. Food was Just OK. Very Overpriced.
- Over-Hyped50ShadesofFlavourDined on 8/6/2014The Stinking Rose is an over-hyped tourist spot. We were seated in one of their small cabana style booths which were very cute and different looking. My daughter ordered the Black Linguine with seafood which was good. The pasta had flavor and the seafood consisted of crab claws, mussels, clams, squid and a white fish. I had the rabbit in a tomato olive sauce with six cloves of garlic in it. The rabbit was over-cooked and had no flavor. The mashed potatoes tasted fine but were over whipped and dense. The tomato sauces for both our dishes was the same with just olives added to mine; the sauces on our dishes should have tasted vastly different which they didn't. We are doing an injustice to our city by promoting these restaurants.
- Gotta love it!LolaFalanaDined on 8/5/2014I ate here for the first time 22 years ago and loved it. Came back with high expectations and wasn't disappointed. It's definitely a must when in SF!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- definitely garlicjennyDined on 8/5/2014as it's name implies, they definitely had garlic inspired dishes. the food was good, but I didn't find it necessarily memorable. There is no kids menu, but they were able to split a pizza, so that worked out. typical italian dishes. prime rib was overcooked, salmon was well done, pasta was good. the decor was a little family unfriendly.Special Features:
- So Stinkin' GoodJstvz10Dined on 8/4/2014Right on busy Columbus Ave., the Stinking Rose SF is easy to find and always busy. The food was delicious and plentiful, the server was funny, friendly and fast. Great meal and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MelyDined on 8/3/2014Had reservation.Waited 10 mins as advised before being led to our table only to find that it wasn't ready yet.Was advised it would be ANOTHER 10 minutes.In the meantime, another same sized party who walked in after us was sat at a table.Asked front desk why and they seemed unsure (I think it was an oversight).Waited additional 15 minutes before being seated.Manager was nice and gave us 2 free desserts for our trouble.Special Features:
- Hmm.IloveSanFranDined on 8/3/2014I had looked forward to dining in this restaurant since the last time I was in SF four years ago. Sadly, my expectations were not met. The fettuccine was dry and the appetizer was lukewarm. Next time I'll go back to Toscana, up the street.Special Features:
- Good but expensiveMitch1953Dined on 8/2/2014My girlfriend & I went here for dinner. We arrived earlier than our reservation but did not have to wait and were seated quickly. We did not want to sit next to a table with a baby so we asked for a different table and was moved to a different room. Very accommodating! We liked the food but when the bill came I had to add it up twice to believe the cost. It is quite expensive. I highly recommend the garlic ice cream but it should contain more garlic as it was too subtle to notice for my partner. The food is definitely worth the experience including the garlic to spread on the fresh rolls. Worth it for the experience. Also check out their t-shirts for sale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very RomanticKarmelaDined on 8/2/2014I had a wonderful time with my very sexy date! I was able to sweep my date of their feet with the beautiful setting on the restaurant. Thank you ;-) And the waiter was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.