3425 Grand Avenue
Oakland, CA 94610Neighborhood:
PizzeriaPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thestarongrand.com/
- Phone: (510) 843-7827
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:30am-5:00pm
Dinner: Sun-Thurs 5:00pm-11pm, Fri & Sat 5:00pm-12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Star
The Star features the same delicious Chicago-style deep dish pizza that made Little Star Pizza Guardian's Best of the Bay in past years. We have an extended menu including many new salads, sandwiches and snacks. We feature an artisan full bar as well as diverse beer and wine menus. We are family friendly and accept reservations for large parties as well. Come see us soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Star reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (24)fit for foodies (20)kid-friendly (15)great for lunch (12)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (11)special occasion (9)notable wine list (4)romantic (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- My favorite local findOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/19/2014Love cornbread crust! Telegraph pesto pizza! Service and house wine list greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off nightMelanieVIPDined on 11/8/2014I usually love The Star. Great neighborhood spot with fantastic pizza and friendly service. Unique place, as they excel at both deep dish and thin crust (and the roasted garlic is phenomenal). But the "off nights" seem to be getting more frequent, with servers who are stretched too thin - mistakes on orders, empty water glasses/pitchers, no one to be found when it would be time to order a second round. I'll still be back again, because the pizza is too good to stay away - and hope to have a better experience / more positive review!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I adore their saladsKarenTVIPDined on 11/5/2014The Classic salad is always wonderful. They remove the olives on request. :-) making it absolutely perfect. My companion had the cheesecake, which is also always perfect :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shining StarAlwayshungryVIPDined on 10/31/2014I love pizza -- and The Star delivers the goods. Not to my house, but to my taste buds. The deep-dish crust is firm without being brick-like, with a delicious cornmeal flavor. Ingredients are fresh and well matched. I especially like The Grand, with its traditional tomato sauce and cheese, but with garlic cloves added. And the beer selection is amazing. I love the Linden Street Brewery's various styles, which have been rotated on my several visits. The salads are bright and generous (although I find those based on wedge lettuce trendy and boring). I've never had room for dessert because I can't help but finish the pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great ambiance and pizzaAjm317VIPDined on 10/4/2014We bring home half-baked pies from The Star regularly, but hadn't eaten in at the new location. We got a fantastic table at the front of the restaurant, where, on nice evening, the sliding doors are thrown open to let in the breeze. Service was attentive and friendly. We got some of our favorites, the Goddess salad and Grand deep dish pizza. The salad was refreshing and well-dressed, and the pizza was hot, fresh, and delicious!Special Features:
- Great pizzastevenDined on 9/26/2014Great place for pizza and drinks! Will be repeat customer. Can get busy on a weekend night so go early.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014I've eaten here before with friends for a late lunch and it was great food and cocktails. We recently returned with family to have the deep dishes and a few cocktails; our server was so nice and accommodating that it enhanced the experience. Overall great food and great service! Their old fashioned cocktail is one of my favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding service!MKEtravelerDined on 9/25/2014We were a "tricky" group - 5 adults and 3 one-year olds - and the team was extremely accommodating from the moment we walked in. I fancy myself an east coast pizza snob and I must say, this pizza was DELICIOUS. The server seemed to encourage experimenting and substitutions (deep dish toppings on a thin crust, etc). The food and beers came quickly and with a smile. I'd definitely go back.Special Features:
- Pushed out?Good2goDined on 9/13/2014Good food & fast service but felt rushed & pushed out despite there being open tables. This is my 2nd time @ The Star & I felt similar both times with 2 different servers....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Deep Dish PizzaoutandaboutVIPDined on 9/10/2014Please go here and try their deep dish pizza. The cornmeal crust is light and crunchy. Great beer, wine, and liquor selection. Busy on the weekends but nicely mellow during weekdays. They have a small parking lot which is a plus. If you're looking for a bite before you go see a movie at the Grand Lake Theatre this spot is it. Oh, and they have baseball games on TV. Super plus.Special Features:
- Lunch is quieterjaz2020VIPDined on 9/3/2014We love The Star's pizza crust, which is a good 'ole American crust, thin but not limp, great quality flour. I like the Tribune thin crust, spouse takes the Port deep dish. This is NOT Domino's or RoundTble! These are high quality ingredients, beautifully combined but a bit heartier than the typical artisanal pizzas. We loved the Brussels sprouts, which are properly parcooked before grilling, so that they cook perfectly. Lunch is relaxed and quiet compared to dinner; we really dislike the overwhelming noise when this restaurant is full (our ears are ringing afterwards!) so we stick with lunch. Note deep dish is not always available at dinner; crusts are made fresh in a.m. and if they run out, that's it until tomorrow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Tasted Great!LittleStarFanDined on 8/16/2014The food and the service was great. I had reservations at 8:45 and I called at 8:15 asking them if I can put in my order ahead of time because we were hungry and didn't want to wait that long when we got there. The told me that they didn't take order aheads after 6pm. I was really disappointed. So we got there at 8:45, we knew exactly what we wanted, and put in our order as soon as our waitress got to our table (around 8:55) and told us it was going to be a 35 minute wait for a deep dish pizza. We we super hungry at that time, and were a little annoyed that I wasn't able to put in my order ahead of time. The pizza ended up coming out around 9:25 and we devoured it almost immediately. It tasted great, but wish we didn't have to wait so long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?PhilDined on 8/2/2014We've been to The Star many times. This is the very first time we felt disappointed. Their wonderful wedge salad came sparsely dressed. When asking the waiter for more dressing we were informed we would be charged $1. While the dollar was insignificant, it seems to use less dressing on a salad to promote one dollar sales cheapens the entire experience. It makes me wonder, "What's going on at Stars?"Special Features:
- Simple requests too complex?KarenTVIPDined on 7/30/2014I ordered the classic salad with no olives and an extra side of balsamic dressing. I got a classic salad WITH olives. Not many, they'd clearly put them on and then pulled them, but there were a few. I'm not allergic to olives, I just hate them. But such carelesness? It could be a real problem. Just make another salad. They're not that expensive. I definitely AM allergic to chocolate. I'd pre-ordered the vanilla cheesecake, and when it arrived it was covered with a lovely drizzle of . . . chocolate syrup! I sent it back (had it wrapped to-go) and received a second piece, half the size of the first, which was wet. Like someone had sprinkled water on it. I didn't eat it. WTF?!Special Features:
- Ok but could be better.FoodVIPDined on 7/30/2014Wait staff is very attentive. Food could be better, it is just average.
- The following 99 reviews are from the The Star reviews archive.
- Ok food, but weird prices, meh svcPostmasterousVIPDined on 7/28/2014Deep dish and thin crust pizzas were tasty and fresh (and faster than expected) Appetizers were super stingy for the price. 5 small meatballs for $12?? Really? Service was otherwise slow and lacking. More experienced waitstaff is expected at a restaurant of this level.Special Features:
- Favorite EateryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Hands down, my favorite Pizza spot in the east bay. Love it.Special Features:
- Very good pizzmchillsVIPDined on 7/4/2014I'm from Chicago and had yet to find good pizza in Oakland. The Star fits the bill. I like thin crust best so that is what we ordered. Excellent crust, not to chewy or crisp, and the sauce was spicy and full of flavor. Cute cocktail menu. Reasonably priced for pizza here (which tends to be more expensive than other places). The small salad is plenty for two to share; get the dressing on the side as it was drenched. Nice wait staff if a bit inattentive and overloaded.Special Features:
- Great PizzaSoulshineMuseDined on 7/1/2014Their thin crust pizza is amazing! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and great foodMarkDined on 6/26/2014Best Pizza in Oakland! Staff was wonderful. Accommodated all 12 of us with no problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy thin crust pizzaMoDizDined on 6/20/2014We enjoyed appetizers, salads and the Tribune thin crust pizza. Super yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedslim35Dined on 6/12/2014Ordered cheese with sausage pizza. Overcooked, almost burnt, and very very salty. Did not care for the crust. Teenager liked wings. Went early so nearly empty and therefore quiet. Waitress helpful.
- Affordable good foodheadbongerVIPDined on 5/28/2014We went here with a large party at 8pm on a Wednesday night. There were plenty of open tables. It took awhile to get drinks (and keep them coming). The Goddess Salad was delicious. Both thin crust and deep dish pizzas were good. With plenty of drinks and food we each spent a little over $40 per person (with tip). I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- An Enjoyable Dinner!KristinDined on 5/28/2014Our waiter was fantastic, he was very knowledgeable about wine, and while he did make a small mistake with our order he expedited our food to make sure we did not feel any repercussions from the mistake. our food came quickly as well as our drinks. overall a very happy experience.Special Features:
- I'll be backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014This was my second dinner at The Star, and we will be back. The pizza is excellent, the salads are tasty, and there is a good selection of beer on draft.Special Features:
- First time for lunch - LOVEPaigeVIPDined on 5/21/2014Had a great business lunch at The Star, with great service. Goddess salad with baked wings was just the right balance for lunch, reasonably priced, and great service. A nice addition to the neighborhood with a definitely cool vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- salemowalkDined on 5/19/2014The experience overall was great. We were sat right next to the front window, which was amazing and gave us an incredible view of twilight over...the Texaco station (funny, but still beautiful). The food was solid. I lived in Chicago for 3 1/2 years, so I'm familiar with Chicago-style pizza. This place uses cornmeal in their crust, which is not my favorite. With that said, the flavors were great. We got the Grand pizza, which is baseline Chicago-style (spinach & mushroom). We also added roasted garlic, which gave it a sweetness that cuts into the bitterness of the spinach. The server seemed pretty nice, as was the host and other staff. But, the best part was the ambiance. It's elegant, yet stylish, without being gaudy. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent pizza and saladsNewbieVIPDined on 5/16/2014Good neighborhood addition for thin or deep dish pizza; great salads, cocktails and good wine list.Special Features:
- Service was awfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/2014Our server forgot my beer three times. In fact, it never came, but it still showed up on the bill, and we had to ask to have it taken off. Aside from that, we asked for garlic bread twice, but it never arrived either. The pizza was great, but our server seemed really out of it- like she didn't want to be there. In fact, she even told us we were here last table and she couldn't wait to go home...Special Features:
- Yelpers are wrong again.PizzaPowerDined on 5/4/2014Hoping to find excellent, thin crust pizza, I was SO disappointed in the cracker like, under risen, under proofed, non-interesting dough. The toppings were meager, esp considering I ordered mine with fresh mozzarella. I had a taste of my dining companion's gluten free pizza, and thought the kitchen gave us TWO GF pizzas. I thought the quality MIGHT have been as good as the uneven Boot & Shoe, or the more reliable Pizzaiolo. I was NOT expecting a Mario Batali experience, but jeesh, even the occasional Lanesplitter can be better than this poor excuse for a pizza. I have had better from Amazonia (even with their WAY too much sauce), or of course Chez Panisse, or Tony's in the city. The goddess salad was good. Good service. Won't be back
- Great pizza spot!greggermanDined on 4/27/2014The deep dish pizza here is truly wonderful! We've been three times so far, and it's been consistently great each time. One of these days we'll try the thin crust as well. But judging from their sister restaurant Little Star Pizza in Albany, I expect it will be great as well. Also had the brussels sprouts appetizer that was very nice as well. We will be returning here again and again... :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy & DeliciousDicksonVIPDined on 4/26/2014By far the best pizza in town. Not too gimmicky but certainly original enough to be unique. Love the fresh ingredients and OMG that take on the old fashioned cocktail is on point!!!!Special Features:
- Awesome PizzaLove4foodDined on 4/19/2014Absolutely love The Star. The pizza has a delicious corn meal crust that makes gives it a great crunch and texture. The toppings and sauce are great and they have some delicious combinations which you can also alter and make your own. Their portion size of their salads are more than generous and the stuffed pizza is definitely filling. You definitely won't leave feeling hungry! The Star also has a full bar with experienced bartenders ready to serve. The restaurant was not crowded (probably due to the impending holiday) but we were well catered to and had a great experience.Special Features:
- one of our favorite dinner spotsuhhleeeseDined on 4/17/2014The Star's menu is simple, but craveable. Whenever we can't decide where to go for dinner, but want something less casual than usual - we end up at The Star. They have great vegan & gluten free options, as well as a crowd-pleasing cocktail selection. All of the waitstaff have great senses of humor & they never fail to deliver great service. Order the Green Goddess salad. It is a must!Special Features:
- Thanks!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/16/2014Thank you for making the surprise birthday party an enjoyable and friendly experience. Our server was great, and we'll be back for more common and special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pizza. thin or deep dish YUM!itmustbebetterthanedibleVIPDined on 4/13/2014This place gets busy-so recommend reservations, but you can also order on line or call in for take away. Whether you select the deep dish or the thin crust pizza you will NOT be disappointed. It's noisy, because of the high ceiling, but you are also not sitting on your neighbors lap either. Cocktails are yummy, the house specialty drinks are great too. And well I LOVE pizza, but this is GREAT pizza, and the best pizza in the east bay hands down.
- Doesn't make the cutPizzadivaDined on 4/11/2014There are so many damn good pizza places in the Grand-lake and Temescal neighborhoods that do an amazing job with thin crusted pizza - Arizmendi, boot and shoe and their sister place, etc. So I don't know why anyone would open another pizza place unless their pizza was out of this world....and it just isn't at The Star. In any other town people might find their pizza stellar but in this town, with the hot competition, if was really just ooookay. The service was great - staff were friendly and efficient- which was the only standout of my experience there. .Special Features:
- Fantastic East Bay "Little Star"MrsShankarDined on 4/5/2014This member of the Little Star restaurant family doesn't disappoint. The pizza here has that same, substantial cornmeal crust, with a delicious sauce and fresh ingredients -- a welcome local find for anyone who's craving but doesn't want to make the trek for the San Francisco original. The specialty pizzas come with East Bay-themed names (i.e., "The Grand") -- and there are a few menu items I don't remember seeing at previous locales (i.e., meatballs). Great bar with a decent wine selection and local beers (had the Linden Street Hop Candi on this visit) -- and service has been great, even with a group of six. (Our waiter really kept up with the water, which was welcome after a long afternoon at the ballpark.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty treatraebabydollDined on 4/5/2014We were in town for just a couple days to visit family and friends and decided to try this place due to location and reviews. The food was very tasty, the atmosphere was cool and comfortable. Also, because it was a sunny day, they had the front section open so the tables were half outside in the front, and it gave it a more relaxed feeling. Our server was excellent with great suggestions and quick service. We were definitely happy with our decision and will come back on future visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy!albaveeDined on 4/4/2014Great pizza and awesome drinks! The waitress and hostess both offered their suggestions that we ended up loving. Great place for groups, pizza is decently priced, and drinks are creative.Special Features: