The Stanhope Grille at Loews Back Bay Hotel
350 Stuart St.
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Stanhope Grille at Loews Back Bay Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.loewshotels.com/en/Boston-Back-Bay-Hotel/dining/restaurants
- Phone: 6175323849
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am; Saturday & Sunday: 7:00am - 11:30am; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday : 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary European, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Located in The Back Bay Hotel, the former Boston Police Department headquarters, the stylish Stanhope Grille is a unique city restaurant serving some of Boston’s best culinary fare all day long.
- Private Party Contact: Charlene Navarro 6175323824
A word from The Stanhope Grille at Loews Back Bay Hotel
Pamper yourself in Stanhope Grille, where you will dine in style and sophistication. Our culinary staff has created menus that celebrate the very best ingredients of the season. The chefs are proud to support local farmers, foragers, cheese-makers and fishermen featuring sustainable beef, lamb, pork, poultry and seafood wherever possible. The dining room extends into an open-air terrace perfect for people watching.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Stanhope Grille at Loews Back Bay Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
- Somewhat disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/25/2013Given some of the reviews I had read online, I was expecting the Stanhope to offer more interesting food. With the exception of the clam chowder (which was interesting for its departure from the New England over-reliance on cream), the food was good but not special. I had grilled halibut and risotto. The fish was good, simple, maybe just a little over-cooked. The risotto was extremely heavy without offering very interesting flavor. The service was very good. The waiter was knowledgeable about wine and was helpful without being officious. I doubt we'll return.
- Very pleasedCountrygirlDined on 5/18/2013We celebrated a graduation at the Stanhope Grille. There were 7 in our party and the service was outstanding! Our server Greg was topnotch. The food was very good and they had local scallops that were fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice breakfastKristenVIPDined on 5/12/2013We went for breakfast at 10AM. The staff was very pleasant, but we waited a very long time before we actually got our food. There were 5 of us. One got the buffet and was done by the time the rest of us even got our food. She thought it was good, but nothing special. The rest of us ordered off the menu and our meals were very good, once we got them. I'd recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I make theOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/11/2013My husband and I make the time to return to the Stanhope Grille as often as we can. Gregg is the best waiter. Whether you are a regular patron or not, he reads his diners very well. He quickly learns your likes or dislikes, remembers them on your next visit ,and he will not steer you wrong on a menu recommendation. We have always found the food quality and presentation to be excellent. It continues to be a very enjoyable experience for us at just the right pacing between courses. We highly recommend the soups, halibut and sirloin steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New OwnershipSubparDined on 5/11/2013The menu we previewed online (which was the deciding factor) was an old menu from before they changed ownership.
- surprisingly good for a hotel grillMikeSVIPDined on 4/17/2013We were there on a night when the back bay was locked down after the marathon bombings. We had a wonderful waiter, Greg, and the food was excellent, including crab cake and scallop appetizers. Our companions liked the onion soup. The restaurant couldn't have been nicer, but certainly they were very glad to see us on this very quiet night. We will go again, particularly pre-theater.Special Features:
- Good pre-theatre dinner experiencetheatereaterVIPDined on 4/13/2013We had a pre-theatre dinner with friends. The food was good, the service was perfect and everyone was very pleasant and friendly. The minestrone and the scallops with risotto were the most favored of the dishes we ordered. The half-size of the risotto was perfect as a small second course. I think they have a patio that should be open soon, or whenever spring decides to visit New England. You wouldn't usually think of a hotel restaurant as a neighborhood gem, but I got the feeling you could be very comfortable stopping in there on a regular basis if you lived in the area and wanted a pasta dinner or had a favorite dish they serve.Special Features:
- Best service level in anyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/4/2013Best service level in any restaurant. If I were to open a restaurant, I'd want Stanhopes staff. Had a seafood stew for 2 which was delicious, rich saffron tomato broth.Special Features:
- A Nice Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/31/2013This restaurant is on the lower level of the Loew's Back Bay Hotel which is an older stone building with lots of character. The inside was very nice. The service and food were very good. We were there for the breakfast buffet on Easter Sunday and even though we were there towards the end of their serving time for the buffet it was still well stocked and tasty. We were seated quickly and promptly attended to throughout the time we were there. The dining area is not a large space which makes it a little more intimate which I liked. The outdoor seating was not open as it was still a little chilly outside but I would imagine it would be very nice during the warmer months. We enjoyed our time there.Special Features:
- Just a great experience. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2013Just a great experience. Food was great. The waitstaff was incredible. Only concern is that the food came out at like a thousand degrees, but some people like it like that; so, it's a non-issue really.Special Features:
- We wanted a romantic dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013We wanted a romantic dinner. The host was pleasant and very kind. We waited for a bit before being served. The menu options were limited and the food was not anything I would go back for.Special Features:
- Waiter was the fastest andmathiasVIPDined on 2/15/2013Waiter was the fastest and most unobtrusive server I've seen in years--no extra verbiage, just constant service. The food was superb. And you can have a conversation--no loud music (the bar is separate)! Prices are not sky high. What's not to like?Special Features:
- Excellent as always. FoodmjmrmVIPDined on 2/14/2013Excellent as always. Food was wonderful. Our waiter, Greg, is the best in Boston.Special Features:
- A wonderful mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2013My wife and I dined here early (5:30 PM) before going to a show in the Theater District. We were the first in the dining room and our waitperson Jill was wonderful, just the right amount of attention. She helped us to get our Lemoncello Martinis from the bar the way we like them. Our meals were excellent, and both Jill and the manager said the chef was new and was trying out new things. We both really enjoyed the quality of our meals and how they were prepared. As we were dining, more and more people were being seated, so it was good to see that others would also being enjoying the great food. There is an outdoor terrace area that I'm sure would be wonderful for dining in the summertime.Special Features:
- We keep going to the StanhopeMaxieVIPDined on 2/2/2013We keep going to the Stanhope Grill for the above reasons mostly the food and the peaceful atmosphere and great service. It is easy to have a conversation with whomever. The room has never been full when we've been there.Special Features:
- I am a strong believer inOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/26/2013I am a strong believer in the fact that a good service can make or break your experience. Our service was mediocre. Not a friendly attitude at all. A smile goes a long way and it was lacking at this place. The food was really good though. If you oder a martini, make sure you tell them to serve it in a martini glass as opposed to a cheap water glass with a straw otherwise it was delicious.Special Features:
- Greg, our waiter, was attentivewhachamacallitVIPDined on 1/23/2013Greg, our waiter, was attentive without being smothering & easily answered all our questions about the menu. Decor Food was well presented; fresh ingredients. Desserts were truly luscious! We thought it was unusual to wait such a long time between courses, especially since the restaurant had relatively few diners.
- A very special treat. TheJudyVIPDined on 1/18/2013A very special treat. The food was beautiful as well as delicious, the service attentive but not cloying, the atmosphere elegant but not overdone. We love this place.Special Features:
- Had a wonderful dinner. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/16/2013Had a wonderful dinner. The food was fantastic and the service was spectacular. I highly recommend it for date night!Special Features:
- Everyone at the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/15/2013Everyone at the restaurant and the hotel provided outstanding service. Being there was a real pleasure. All of the food was nicely prepared and very flavorful. We definitely recommend dining at Stanhope Grill.
- Greg was our server and heOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/12/2013Greg was our server and he made this a wonderful dining experience for us. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Outstanding meal with greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/12/2013Outstanding meal with great service. They should advertize more to let people know that they are an excellent choice for dinner while in the Back Bay.Special Features:
- Bit of an undiscovered Back Bay gemMarkHDined on 1/10/2013I'm very fond of the Stanhope Grille and it's part of the reason I usually stay at the Back Bay Hotel for at least part of any trip to Boston. The food is reliable going on inspired, and it's usually a relaxing place, particularly if you've just got off the plane. Doesn't quite qualify for Notable Wine List, but in fact, the list, including by the glass, is more than enough to keep a wine hobbyist happy. The staff seem to stick around from year to year, which is usually a good sign too. The open kitchen adds a bit of a lift to the atmosphere, without impairing the calm. Specially recommend the lobster pasta. I am terrible with names so I must apologize to the hard-working & scrupulously professional head server for not naming him.Special Features:
- Attentive service, excellenteastgategirlDined on 1/9/2013Attentive service, excellent food, and a good deal from TravelZoo combined to make this a perfect meal.Special Features:
- Good service and good quality,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Good service and good quality, fine location and amenities. Overpriced.Special Features:
- A cut above many othersDeborahVIPDined on 12/28/2012Dining at the Stanhope Grille is a wonderful experience. The food, ambiance and service are all outstanding. Their menu is sophisticated and varied, everything was delicious and we were not just served, we were fully catered to by their attentive staff. We all had an excellent dinner and enjoyed a meal that was delicious with amazing service.Special Features:
- We enjoyed delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/15/2012We enjoyed delicious food and an attentive wait staff in a quietly-elegant environment. We liked everything we tried, and found lots of other stuff on the menu that we'd like to try. Portions are large, so this could require multiple visits.Special Features:
- Those winter caste-iron casseroleJTB1VIPDined on 12/15/2012Those winter caste-iron casserole dishes for two are such a terrific idea for a cold winter's night. My husband and I shared the beef stroganoff and it was great.
- At $300. for 4 not moderateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/7/2012At $300. for 4 not moderate but good value for the quality of the food and service.Special Features:
- Service is OUTSTANDING keepsmikeDined on 12/7/2012Service is OUTSTANDING keeps us comming back and bringing friends and familySpecial Features:
- Good Food Good Price Limited MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/1/2012Great Food - Limited Menu and they did not have the fish item we wanted on the menu that night and had NO fish substitude. Waiter had many table and did his best. The food we ordered although 2nd choices was very good, portions matched the price.Special Features:
- The service was exceptional.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2012The service was exceptional. The best service I have received in Boston. Food was delicious and perfectly portioned. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Restaurant was not busy. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/22/2012Restaurant was not busy. We were shown directly to our table. Menu was three courses. I expected a buffet or carving station but turkey dinner was plated like any other menu item. I had the expectation that I would be able to partake as much as I wanted (anticipating a buffet). However, the turkey dinner was excellent. It started with the presentation, which I thought was great. The meat was tender and tasty. The dressing was made of cornbread (a good thing) as opposed to ordinary sandwich bread. However, there was not much of it. It had a good flavor. The service was great. Some items were overpriced. Coffee was $4/cup. Lemonade was $4, etc. This was a turnoff. I might not return because of this perceived overpricing.Special Features:
- Poor attention to DetailCSCA11Dined on 11/20/2012I tried this hotel restaurant because of a discount coupon. We went on a weekday night. The reservation was for 7 pm, and the restaurant was practically empty. ( one other couple.) Okay. If a restaurant is empty, does that mean you get better food or worse food??? The waiter was SUPERB: informative, helpful, friendly, professional. One of the best waiters I have ever seen. Poor guy. The food was horribly oversalted. The salad was swimming in dressing. Steak was very good, fish was fresh and tasty but with no added treatment, dessert (from Finale) was excellent. But the risotto and fries were almost inedible due to the oversalting. The final insult was my tea: the water was tepid and smelled of coffee. Not worth a second visit.
- Service was outstanding; foodUMparentVIPDined on 11/17/2012Service was outstanding; food was good to very good. Tried out based on a Tripadvisor promotion. Probably won't be returning based on high prices and so many other restaurant choices.Special Features:
- The Lobster Ravioli was deliciousJimmi13Dined on 11/16/2012The Lobster Ravioli was delicious , my meat sauce pasta was OK - the dinner rolls were so hard we couldn't break them. Your wait service was efficient and very pleasant - best part of the meal.Special Features:
- in a word....delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/10/2012This place never disappoints. The food is simply delicious. And if you're fortunate enough to have Greg as your server, than your evening will be nothing short of divine. Two big thumbsup for Stanhope Grille.Special Features:
- While there was no one thingjoeydonnDined on 11/3/2012While there was no one thing wrong with my experience here, I was underwhelmed by the whole experience. The service itself was quite good and we were there at 8.30 at night so that would explain why it was so empty. The food was sub par for the price we paid in my opinion.Special Features:
- Stanhope Grille was OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2012Our meals were one if the best we had all year. The blackened swordfish was out if this world. Great choice & great meal.Special Features:
- It is difficult to evaluateMarkVIPDined on 10/29/2012It is difficult to evaluate this restaurant objectively as we visited on the night of Hurricaine Sandy. Despite these challenges we still enjoyed our dinner.