The Standard Grill
848 Washington Street
The Standard Hotel
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Standard Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thestandardgrill.com/
- Phone: 2126454100x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 12:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 1:00am; Late Night: Sunday - Wednesday: 12:00am - 3:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 1:00am - 4:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Contact: Kat Schaufelberger 2127845517x
A word from The Standard Grill
A neighborhood staple, The Standard Grill is classic New York meets new American cuisine. The front café, bar and street-side bistro is clean and bright with white oak and tile décor and features fresh oysters, specialty cocktails and charcuterie. The main dining room is cozy, old-world with red leather banquets, barrel vaulted ceilings, and a floor paved in copper pennies. The Standard Grill utilizes the freshest local ingredients, blending traditional steak house with new American grill sensibilities.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Standard Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
336 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
hot spot (175)great for outdoor dining (170)good for groups (112)fit for foodies (110)neighborhood gem (110)special occasion (106)vibrant bar scene (101)great for brunch (98)great for lunch (83)late-night find (69)romantic (62)notable wine list (36)scenic view (30)kid-friendly (21)Show More
- Not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/31/2014I had been to the standard grill and have been to all the other places they have at the standard but this experience was by far the worst I've had. It took them 45 mins to get us good, they couldn't remember the order. Even for water we has to ask 4 times before we got water! They comped our food which didn't taste amazing either - full of oil and grease. They ending up putting drinks we didn't order on our bill but at that point we just wanted to get out so we paid and didn't make a fuss!
- Fine food but a not-so-fine welcomeNevinoBrunoDined on 8/28/2014The restaurant is located underneath the High Line in a neighborhood alive with lots of activity on the streets and in nearby bars. The food is excellent, the service so-so, and the attitude of the staff at the front desk was not welcoming at all. The noise level inside was very high; I found it difficult to have a conversation at our table of four. The restaurant was crowded so is probably enjoying a lot of success, but I would recommend that the staff work on their attitude.Special Features:
- First timerJeffreyCDined on 8/27/2014I live a few blocks away, but have stayed away from the large crowds there. When I had the occasion to dine during the calmer mid-week evening, I went. It filled up nicely, and still a bit noisy, but not unbearably so . We all ordered different things to taste. Every dish was delicious. Having eaten as some of the best places in the city, I found the pricing was a bit high for what it was. The mark-up includes being in the trendy Meatpacking District. Still, it was a wonderful culinary experience. I just cant image the weekend noise! I also want to point out how courteous and professional the staff was. Our waiter was knowledgeable with our questions and food came without long waits in between courses. Thumbs up for sure.Special Features:
- ChickenSara1Dined on 8/26/2014What happened to the Million Dollar Chicken? I was looking forward to the dish, and very disappointed it has been dismantled, croutons were small and soggy. I preferred the whole chicken and the large croutons. Sad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticEdfromiowaDined on 8/26/2014The Standard Grill was a fantastic surprise, the ambiance is superb, the attention and service perfect and the good delicious. The location and the diferent venues that the restaurant offer are beyond impressive. Highly recommended for your special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Super serviceAndersDined on 8/25/2014Went to celebrate a special occasion and was not disappointed. Very good food, wine and our waitress was super nice. The restaurant even gave us some free champagne on our day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunny morning!MelMironDined on 8/25/2014The terrace is so welcoming, you feel like you are eating in a flourishing garden. Service was cool, professional and quick. Food was great. Prices are average I would say. Coffee is quite good :) I recommend this place for a weekend brunch! After your belly's happiness, go and have a walk in that neighbourhood and don't miss the walk on the Highline!!Special Features:
- Thursday breakfastSarahInThisCityDined on 8/22/2014Visited for a Thursday breakfast with parents and a friend (all visiting from London). Nice venue, food was OK, not excellent. Some items were a bit over-salted. Latte delicious. Would go again.Special Features:
- LoudHappycookerDined on 8/19/2014We were seated at a banquette indoors and could not hear each other across the table. Asked to move to somewhere we could hear each other as the noise level was deafening. Our request was granted gracefully by the host that greeted us and the waiters from both tables, but not so by another host who set the table for us in the bar. We ended up moving to the bar area to a smaller (quieter) table. Wished we had waited for a table outdoors as it was a beautiful evening and it would have been much quieter.Special Features:
- DisappointedFirsttimerDined on 8/17/2014This restaurant was highly recommended for brunch. The service was slow and the food was inconsistent. Some of the items were hot when served, some were cold and the Eggs Benedict had burnt toast, but by the time we were served, we didn't dare send back as we were starving. Manager offered some make right items, but we were just ready to leave.
- Delicious CocktailshumanDined on 8/16/2014The dinner was good at the Standard grills. I had two salads, both were tasty. The drink was the best part though. I had a ginger concoction that blew my mind. Forgot the name but I think it is their most popular drink. Try it.Special Features:
- Dog friendlyLloydVIPDined on 8/16/2014Had a fabulous Sunday afternoon brunch was able to bring the dog great people watching an amazing flank steak salad perfect Sunday afternoon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really nicemarcyDined on 8/14/2014We were seated outside under the pergola. The lunchtime atmosphere was just right--quiet even tho tables were full. No trouble hearing each others words. The adjacent street is not loud and busy. Very good experience. Appreciated non-alcoholic offerings.Special Features:
- Great place!stockquoterDined on 8/13/2014Good food, good wine, good service, good location. All the things I like to see in a restaurant. We'll go back again.Special Features:
- great Reunion Lunch eventOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/11/2014Three of us Golden Girls were having a long-overdue reunion at lunch. Ease of making a reservation was wonderful. The Standard even honored our request for a quiet table. The hostess was most pleasant and friendly, as if we were special guests. Start-up service was great but then we had to wait quite awhile before our order was placed. after that, our waitress couldn't have been lovelier. all in all a joyful lunch teunion! Keep up the good work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPippyDined on 8/10/2014My husband and I went here for dinner. They have a unique and wonderful menu. We started with some of the cheeses, and had the Porterhouse for two as our main course. Both were excellent. Our server was very personable and on top of his game! I highly recommend the Standard Grill for a simple dinner or special occasion.Special Features:
- Great food. Even better service.DeFranDined on 8/9/2014I heard good things about this place from a friend, so I made reservations for my 1 yr anniversary. I mentioned the anny. in the notes section of the online reservations, and the host congratulated us. Then the waiter congratulated us and poured us free champagne. My partner loves octopus salad, so she ordered the appetizer version. She is a really petite person, so appetizers are usually a good size. This one was a bit small, but when added to the greens I got on the side of my steak, it was perfect. My NY Strip was excellent. Adding in the sweet potato fries, we had a winner. We had plenty of bread. The sommelier was very helpful, guiding us to a Spanish white. Our wine and water glasses were never empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard to get a table outsideOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Great place, good food, I just wish they could give us a table outside. We had reservations but you can not request an outside tableSpecial Features:
- Dinner at StandardJackieDined on 8/6/2014Excellent experience for our party of four. Everyone enjoyed entrees, service was exceptional, and it was a lovely evening to sit outdoors in a private corner booth. A bit pricey for a regular meal, but perfect for special occasion.Special Features:
- before or after High Line visitChantboyVIPDined on 8/6/2014Oyster shooter, artichoke soup, steak tartare - all superb, and I even had a gin and grapefruit based house cocktail that was excellent, something I rarely do because they're usually too sweet.Special Features:
- Nice food and great vibeAnjaZDined on 8/2/2014Great vibe, nice food and wine, service was too fast,Special Features:
- preciousDined on 8/1/2014The service was excellent. The staff was warm and friendly Would highly recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great breakfast!anb3309VIPDined on 8/1/2014i am hesitant to write about our great experience for fear it will be too crowded next time. we had a lovely summer breakfast outdoors at the standard grill. giant omelets, wonderful fresh fruit drinks and super friendly waiter. we were tempted to stay all afternoon.Special Features:
- Disappointing!leeley18VIPDined on 7/30/2014Brought an Italian rep here on a business dinner bc of my last experience. Party of 7 and we were sat in a booth with a chair sticking out on the side of the table! Is this a Long Island diner?!?! How embarrassing...or so I thought until it took 30 minutes to get our 2 bottles of wine we ordered. Or was it the two people who ordered the lamb chops and they both came out RAW. So I am not so negative I can say the the burger was good...but to be honest I cook a great burger in my kitchen. This place has gone downhill since its opening. This was my third visit and it will be my last.
- Standard GrillCityslkrzDined on 7/30/2014Food and ambiance were fine but it was so loud, we couldn't hear each other speak.
- Great food, great scene!TravelfiendnjVIPDined on 7/30/2014We dined here early (5:30) with another couple as we had walked the High Line. We had a relatively quiet table in the corner. Our server, Nathan, couldn't be nicer or more accommodating. The drinks were generous. The olives and cheese served before the meal were delicious. The meal didn't disappoint, everything was fresh and prepared to perfection. It's a bit pricey but definitely worth it to be part of the Meatpacking District scene!Special Features:
- Standard Grill patio is great!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/30/2014The ambience under the vines and plants on a sunny day is spectacular. Food isn't bad either!Special Features:
- Kelsey Was Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2014Kelsey was our server at the outdoor lounge and was excellent. Our reservation was for 2pm and I spoke to the hostess inside at the grill. I let her know we were outside and would be in shortly. She said she would move our reservation to 2.10pm or 2.30pm since we had ordered drinks and appetizers. When we went inside at 2.30pm the new server told us that the dining room was being flipped for dinner. We found this strange as not 30 minutes before it was no problem. It was a special occasion so we chose to stay in main dining area. I ordered a well done NY Strip and had to send back as it was rare on the inside. A manager came over and apologized and they removed from the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food poor serviceJohnDined on 7/26/2014We ate some really good meat at the grill, however the service took away a great deal of the experience. As soon as we had finished our starter the plates where changed to our main course. We where not given any time between the courses which meant that by the time we where ready for taking on the stakes it had begun to cool down. After the meal we ordered coffee and avec/drinks, these where delivered two at the time and by the time the last of us got our drinks the first ones already had finished (Around 10-15minute from first to last person). Note that we where only a company of six people. To sum it up: - Great food - Poor service - Bad timing (food and drinks)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relies on locationNwlkDined on 7/26/2014This is one of those somewhat pretentious places that attracts a pretty crowd and relies on its location to do the work. Service was just ok- the waitress barely made time on a busy sat night to ask us if everything was ok. The drinks are overpriced but satisfactory; the food was good, but very much a “if you don’t see it in the description, its not on the plate” kind of place. Better than French teeny portions, but nothing “extra” here unless you pay for it. Trendy place under the high line; nice outdoor/sidewalk seating but looking directly at a building, nothing special for a “view”. Overall I would not seek this place out again.Special Features:
- worth a second go!!laurayDined on 7/26/2014Went with a friend a few weeks back and really enjoyed brunch. So close to the High line. Had to bring my mom. Food is excellent....really enjoyed it. If you go for brunch and you have a sweet tooth, I highly recommend the brioche cinnamon sugar donuts- warm and filled with vanilla rum custard!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service a bit slow, food ok but $$$chitownDined on 7/24/2014Expected food and service to be better for price charged. Octopus appetizer dry, drinks way overpriced, shrimp cocktail awful(better shrimp from store bought pack), steak good, only 4 scallops with meal and Berkshire pork chop dry. Not type to complain, doubt I'd go back for dinner. Ate there once for lunch and it was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Knocked Our Socks OffKurlyDined on 7/24/2014We had a birthday luncheon at the grille and the food and service were both exemplary. No rushing, great suggestions for the server, low noise level, and everything was delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2014It was my 1st time eating at The Standard. I made the reservation specifically because I heard the standard got their steak from Creekstone Farms. Our waiter let me know which steak was from Creekstone farm. We also ordered oysters, 3 cheeses and dessert. Our waiter was amazing and attentive without being annoying. I was able to catch up with 2 friends that I havent seen in awhile and had a delicious meal at the same time. For all the food that we ordered I was expecting our bill to be much higher than it was, but it was about $225 for 3 people. Overall a great experience and the restaurant had a nice ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ExperiencesmccDined on 7/23/2014From start to finish, our experience was outstanding. We met for drinks at the rooftop bar, and then had dinner at the Standard Grill. We were given our choice of tables, and we selected a bistro table in the bar area. Wine, appetizers, main course, dessert, after dinner drinks… we sampled them all… The only ingredient that rivaled the food was our wonderful waitress, Enza. She was professional, warm and knew her stuff… All her recommendations were excellent… and she was a delight to engage with!!!! After dinner concluded, we walked thru the Beer Garden and were again blown away by the energy and ambiance. This is definitely an experience we will remember for a long time… and plan to revisit soon!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Energetic, crowded, but good mealfood4allDined on 7/23/2014The hosts were great, the waiter seemed overwhelmed. But there is not a quiet night at this MPD hotspot. It still holds its own with a strong menu and great drinks. The bartenders were fantastic as we had a drink at the crowded bar first. There's a lot of young 'see and be seen' types at SG. But if you get past that and stay in the main dining room for dinner, it's a great experience. We had a dozen oysters and beef tartar to start. The three entrees were all great: Halibut, Salmon and the special Black Bass. Not a quiet night out, but a fun one.Special Features:
- ALSSVIPDined on 7/22/2014It was a nice summer night to sit outdoors. My friends and I had a great table outside. We were having a birthday celebration and we had a great time. The service was impecable and the food delicious!!Special Features:
- Standard GrilledoubleRDined on 7/22/2014Not only was the Standard Grille an outstanding restaurant, the entire neighborhood of Chelsea and the Meatpacking District was a terrific place to visit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/20/2014Love it here - service and food are always wonderful.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Very trendy, food is great but not outstanding, however the atmosphere truly makes the place.Special Features: