The Standard Grill
848 Washington Street
The Standard Hotel
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Standard Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thestandardgrill.com/
- Phone: 2126454100x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 12:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 1:00am; Late Night: Sunday - Wednesday: 12:00am - 3:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 1:00am - 4:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Contact: Kat Schaufelberger 2127845517x
A word from The Standard Grill
A neighborhood staple, The Standard Grill is classic New York meets new American cuisine. The front café, bar and street-side bistro is clean and bright with white oak and tile décor and features fresh oysters, specialty cocktails and charcuterie. The main dining room is cozy, old-world with red leather banquets, barrel vaulted ceilings, and a floor paved in copper pennies. The Standard Grill utilizes the freshest local ingredients, blending traditional steak house with new American grill sensibilities.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Standard Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
338 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
hot spot (182)great for outdoor dining (170)good for groups (119)fit for foodies (118)neighborhood gem (115)special occasion (107)great for brunch (96)vibrant bar scene (95)great for lunch (92)late-night find (75)romantic (65)notable wine list (35)scenic view (29)kid-friendly (26)Show More
- Perfect spot to chill!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/20/2014They had our reservation a few weeks earlier and upgrDed our table for Saturday brunch because of that. Ask for a table under the pergola and if you're a party if 2-3, request the small corner table. Very inviting, full if character ambience and food and great wait staff. Rise early and head from midtown on foot down Broadway through the parks then back best through Greenwich Village to time your brunch. The take the High Line back north. Perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location indoor/outdoorN45STVIPDined on 9/19/2014If you like Meatpacking, you'll love The Standard Grill. Charming, casual, and 3 kinds of seating - outside, inside in a kitschy country environment, and indoors is more sophisticated, with larger tables, and bar. Very trendy and fun - feels like you are not even in NYC.Special Features:
- Amazing placeFyhaddadDined on 9/18/2014Great atmosphere, great food, great people. The staff could be a tad friendlier/less pretentious but other than that its faultless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FairytaleMaryDined on 9/14/2014I went there on a sunday at 1pm for brunch. I had made a reservation and it was the most wonderful experience. We arrived promptly at 1. We were seated. We were brought coffee and water. The coffee was delicious! I loved the sugar cubes for the coffee as well. I had Eggs Benedict and it was amazing. The potatoes were the best I have ever had. We got Bloody Mary's which were so yummy! The downstairs bathroom was a little tricky with the mirrors haha but I loved the photobooth. I left there feeling better than I had when I arrived. I would recommend it to friend and definitely return. It was such a beautiful place. <3Special Features:
- Great foodAwesomenessVIPDined on 9/13/2014Would definitely go back hopefully with a different waiter! Noise level is very high. Love the red booths.Special Features:
- Good expirienceT3ddoerDined on 9/11/2014The restaurant is very nice and beautiful. If you can sit on the tables outside is gonna be better then inside! The food is really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a night outOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014Lot of noise, great noise that is. Noise that gives the feeling of being part of something great. The food is delicious, the service impeccable and the overall feeling very good.Special Features:
- grill was top .. lebain bar badbouncer66alertDined on 9/11/2014Let me first say the dining experience was good It was expected but commendable. Good attention to detail and thorough service However..As for lebain... Completely disgusted by the bouncers tonight..discourteous and disrespectful. As someone from Australia..It's not the way to treat someone I don't remember his name...but he kept harping on about how I wasn't a patron of standard...even though we spent 300 dollars at the restaurant..it's the delivery and tone that was highly unprofessional. No sincerity or concept of a customer... I went to another line and the guy told me to go back in that line because there was a private function. He said sure you can line up for public. So I did and the guy at that front gave me an earful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpoilednewyorkersSpoilednewyorkersDined on 9/10/2014Despite restaurant being packed, our reservation was honored immediately. Table, service and food greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than it has any right to beNYCsbestDined on 9/10/2014One of my fav places for lunch &/or dinner when I'm staying in the meat packing district. FCor a restaurant that has a decided wow factor at night via its gorgeous clientele, The Standard Grill has altogether excellent food & drink. And don't get me started on The Closer, their pot of incredible chocolate that's part mousse/part pudding, topped with home-mad whipped cream & chocolate shavings. If you're two, order the half portion, otherwise you're likely to go into a chocolate coma! Highly recommended.Special Features:
- AMJVDined on 9/10/2014Visiting from San Francisco, chose this restaurant because we walked the "high line "; enjoyed the total experience.Special Features:
- SaBalumbaDined on 9/9/2014The bill was a bit higher than what we expected! Water was much expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodChristineDined on 9/9/2014Great food in a good atmosphere. Celebrated a birthday and the staff was very friendly, service minded and alert and even helped us on forehand to pick out a dessert that they sent in with a candle in it. Highly recommend the clams and the gazpacho for starters, trout, salmon and pork chop for main course and the warm chocolate brownie and the sour cream cheesecake for dessert. Everyone in the company was very satisfied with all of the food!Special Features:
- Too noisyAnnbirdyDined on 9/7/2014Not good for conversation over dinner, in inside room.Special Features:
- wonderful yet...ApplejaxDined on 9/7/2014All I can recall besides the trendy scene and amazing food......I was yelling and straining to hear my friends the entire night. There was no quality conversation or time w friends here.....despite asking our waiter if music could be turned down a bit. FAR too loud!!! Symphony of cacophony!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014The decor is great and the food is even better. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Good food!NickeDined on 9/1/2014This was our second time at the Grill and this time it was as great at last time. Great food and great service! We can recommend you to sit outside.Special Features:
- Not goodFoodieVIPDined on 8/31/2014I had been to the standard grill and have been to all the other places they have at the standard but this experience was by far the worst I've had. It took them 45 mins to get us good, they couldn't remember the order. Even for water we has to ask 4 times before we got water! They comped our food which didn't taste amazing either - full of oil and grease. They ending up putting drinks we didn't order on our bill but at that point we just wanted to get out so we paid and didn't make a fuss!
- Fine food but a not-so-fine welcomeNevinoBrunoDined on 8/28/2014The restaurant is located underneath the High Line in a neighborhood alive with lots of activity on the streets and in nearby bars. The food is excellent, the service so-so, and the attitude of the staff at the front desk was not welcoming at all. The noise level inside was very high; I found it difficult to have a conversation at our table of four. The restaurant was crowded so is probably enjoying a lot of success, but I would recommend that the staff work on their attitude.Special Features:
- First timerJeffreyCDined on 8/27/2014I live a few blocks away, but have stayed away from the large crowds there. When I had the occasion to dine during the calmer mid-week evening, I went. It filled up nicely, and still a bit noisy, but not unbearably so . We all ordered different things to taste. Every dish was delicious. Having eaten as some of the best places in the city, I found the pricing was a bit high for what it was. The mark-up includes being in the trendy Meatpacking District. Still, it was a wonderful culinary experience. I just cant image the weekend noise! I also want to point out how courteous and professional the staff was. Our waiter was knowledgeable with our questions and food came without long waits in between courses. Thumbs up for sure.Special Features:
- ChickenSara1Dined on 8/26/2014What happened to the Million Dollar Chicken? I was looking forward to the dish, and very disappointed it has been dismantled, croutons were small and soggy. I preferred the whole chicken and the large croutons. Sad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticEdfromiowaDined on 8/26/2014The Standard Grill was a fantastic surprise, the ambiance is superb, the attention and service perfect and the good delicious. The location and the diferent venues that the restaurant offer are beyond impressive. Highly recommended for your special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Super serviceAndersDined on 8/25/2014Went to celebrate a special occasion and was not disappointed. Very good food, wine and our waitress was super nice. The restaurant even gave us some free champagne on our day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunny morning!MelMironDined on 8/25/2014The terrace is so welcoming, you feel like you are eating in a flourishing garden. Service was cool, professional and quick. Food was great. Prices are average I would say. Coffee is quite good :) I recommend this place for a weekend brunch! After your belly's happiness, go and have a walk in that neighbourhood and don't miss the walk on the Highline!!Special Features:
- Thursday breakfastSarahInThisCityDined on 8/22/2014Visited for a Thursday breakfast with parents and a friend (all visiting from London). Nice venue, food was OK, not excellent. Some items were a bit over-salted. Latte delicious. Would go again.Special Features:
- LoudHappycookerDined on 8/19/2014We were seated at a banquette indoors and could not hear each other across the table. Asked to move to somewhere we could hear each other as the noise level was deafening. Our request was granted gracefully by the host that greeted us and the waiters from both tables, but not so by another host who set the table for us in the bar. We ended up moving to the bar area to a smaller (quieter) table. Wished we had waited for a table outdoors as it was a beautiful evening and it would have been much quieter.Special Features:
- DisappointedFirsttimerDined on 8/17/2014This restaurant was highly recommended for brunch. The service was slow and the food was inconsistent. Some of the items were hot when served, some were cold and the Eggs Benedict had burnt toast, but by the time we were served, we didn't dare send back as we were starving. Manager offered some make right items, but we were just ready to leave.
- Delicious CocktailshumanDined on 8/16/2014The dinner was good at the Standard grills. I had two salads, both were tasty. The drink was the best part though. I had a ginger concoction that blew my mind. Forgot the name but I think it is their most popular drink. Try it.Special Features:
- Dog friendlyLloydVIPDined on 8/16/2014Had a fabulous Sunday afternoon brunch was able to bring the dog great people watching an amazing flank steak salad perfect Sunday afternoon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really nicemarcyDined on 8/14/2014We were seated outside under the pergola. The lunchtime atmosphere was just right--quiet even tho tables were full. No trouble hearing each others words. The adjacent street is not loud and busy. Very good experience. Appreciated non-alcoholic offerings.Special Features:
- Great place!stockquoterDined on 8/13/2014Good food, good wine, good service, good location. All the things I like to see in a restaurant. We'll go back again.Special Features:
- great Reunion Lunch eventOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/11/2014Three of us Golden Girls were having a long-overdue reunion at lunch. Ease of making a reservation was wonderful. The Standard even honored our request for a quiet table. The hostess was most pleasant and friendly, as if we were special guests. Start-up service was great but then we had to wait quite awhile before our order was placed. after that, our waitress couldn't have been lovelier. all in all a joyful lunch teunion! Keep up the good work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPippyDined on 8/10/2014My husband and I went here for dinner. They have a unique and wonderful menu. We started with some of the cheeses, and had the Porterhouse for two as our main course. Both were excellent. Our server was very personable and on top of his game! I highly recommend the Standard Grill for a simple dinner or special occasion.Special Features:
- Great food. Even better service.DeFranDined on 8/9/2014I heard good things about this place from a friend, so I made reservations for my 1 yr anniversary. I mentioned the anny. in the notes section of the online reservations, and the host congratulated us. Then the waiter congratulated us and poured us free champagne. My partner loves octopus salad, so she ordered the appetizer version. She is a really petite person, so appetizers are usually a good size. This one was a bit small, but when added to the greens I got on the side of my steak, it was perfect. My NY Strip was excellent. Adding in the sweet potato fries, we had a winner. We had plenty of bread. The sommelier was very helpful, guiding us to a Spanish white. Our wine and water glasses were never empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard to get a table outsideOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Great place, good food, I just wish they could give us a table outside. We had reservations but you can not request an outside tableSpecial Features:
- Dinner at StandardJackieDined on 8/6/2014Excellent experience for our party of four. Everyone enjoyed entrees, service was exceptional, and it was a lovely evening to sit outdoors in a private corner booth. A bit pricey for a regular meal, but perfect for special occasion.Special Features:
- before or after High Line visitChantboyVIPDined on 8/6/2014Oyster shooter, artichoke soup, steak tartare - all superb, and I even had a gin and grapefruit based house cocktail that was excellent, something I rarely do because they're usually too sweet.Special Features:
- Nice food and great vibeAnjaZDined on 8/2/2014Great vibe, nice food and wine, service was too fast,Special Features:
- preciousDined on 8/1/2014The service was excellent. The staff was warm and friendly Would highly recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great breakfast!anb3309VIPDined on 8/1/2014i am hesitant to write about our great experience for fear it will be too crowded next time. we had a lovely summer breakfast outdoors at the standard grill. giant omelets, wonderful fresh fruit drinks and super friendly waiter. we were tempted to stay all afternoon.Special Features: