The Standard Grill
848 Washington Street
The Standard Hotel
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Standard Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thestandardgrill.com/
- Phone: 2126454100x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Mon - Fri: 7:00am, Weekends: 7:00am - 10:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 12:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 1:00am; Late Night: Sunday - Wednesday: 12:00am - 3:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 1:00am - 4:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Contact: Kat Schaufelberger 2127845517x
A word from The Standard Grill
A neighborhood staple, The Standard Grill is classic New York meets new American cuisine. The front café, bar and street-side bistro is clean and bright with white oak and tile décor and features fresh oysters, specialty cocktails and charcuterie. The main dining room is cozy, old-world with red leather banquets, barrel vaulted ceilings, and a floor paved in copper pennies. The Standard Grill utilizes the freshest local ingredients, blending traditional steak house with new American grill sensibilities.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Standard Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
349 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
hot spot (192)great for outdoor dining (167)neighborhood gem (126)fit for foodies (123)good for groups (109)vibrant bar scene (103)great for lunch (97)great for brunch (93)special occasion (92)late-night find (73)romantic (69)notable wine list (35)kid-friendly (26)scenic view (22)Show More
- yumOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014We waited for 45 min to get appetizer and 20 more to get the food that we order the moment we sat at the table BUT our server Iryna was such a nice girl and th food was amazing so it is was a worth waiting. There was some problems in the kitchen specifically with our order. Manager also came to apologize. At the end, appetizer, two mimosas, 4 coffees and two desserts were on the house! Classy move, very professional. Food was 5+ , best burger in the city! Desserts apple pecan crust crumble with ice cream and vanilla rum donuts to die for!! I'll be definitely coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cena fantasticaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Il ristorante si trova nel quartiere di Meatpacking, sotto lo Standard Hotel. Il locale è alla moda e ideale per una cena sia con amici, sia romantica. Abbiamo ordinato come primo un risotto alla zucca molto delizioso e per secondo una New York Steak e un filetto davvero squisito (una delle bistecche più buone assaggiate a New York). Accanto al ristorante vi è lo Standard Plaza, un bar molto cool e ideale per un cocktail pre-serata. Consiglio di salire al club Le Bain allo Standard Hotel per concludere la serata. Ottima serata e ottimi locali.Special Features:
- Dissapointing!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/24/2014Not impressed, would not recomment the standard grill to anyone. Except for a late night drink as the place quickly fills up in the weekeend. Unfortunately our seating was ppor, the service was un-attentive and the food was below standard and not meeting our expectations.
- CocktailsAnnaVIPDined on 10/23/2014We loved the food (butter, bread, parmesan cheese and main course - risotto), but we didnt like the drinks - Sweetback and a BloodMary).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- To loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014This was ok but not more than that. The noise level was way too loud.
- Good food, MIA service & bad vibes!GrapeyDined on 10/22/2014The noise drowned out any enjoyment of food or company. I left with my ears ringing. Never again!
- Standby StandoutAnthonyBVIPDined on 10/22/2014The Standard Grill is my favorite restaurant in NYC, not just because it's very close to where I live and work but the food is delicious, the space is beautiful and most importantly the staff is fantastic. The mai·tre d's are some of the most friendly and helpful in the city and the waitstaff could not be more helpful. A meal at the Standard Grill, as often as I go, never ceases to be treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New place at meatpacking for fish!NikkibDined on 10/21/2014Loved it! Great food, mostly pasta and fish, few option for meat if u don't eat pork. But i had an amazing duck! Well served, beautiful ambience, many graet wines by the glass, just on the new standard hotel by high line in meatpacking. What not to like. Outside with plants is gorgeous and inside main dinning area is amazing. Do not recommend the indoor balcony, nit the same vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing....J33aDined on 10/20/2014Took ages to get served, longer to get our drinks. The drinks order was wrong with a guest with a peanut allergy being given a drink with nuts. Dinner took forever, majority of food was cold. Given an apologetic dessert. Only to be charged for it on the check. Avoid.
- Highline StapleMariaVIPDined on 10/20/2014Meeting a friend from out of town, I chose the Standard Grill because of it's great locations right near the High line, and it's great reputation. It did not disappoint. The waitress sensed we had a lot to catch up on and took care to be both attentive, yet non intrusive. The house wine was very nice as was the food. We both chose the bourbon glazed pork chop for dinner, which was a meal and a half. It was delicious! Desert was a croissant bread pudding, again really good. This is a great go to place both if you live here, and if you are visiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A touch more than standardLuvmyfoodDined on 10/19/2014Service was fantastic, with an attentive waiter who noticed when our glasses needed to be topped up and he was observant. He noticed one of the the party was not enjoying her steak dish of tri- tip steak. The manager came over immediately and tried to help my friend order an alternative as she was genuinely keen to see her enjoy her meal. All was resolved and everyone enjoyed their food. The broccoli was a little bitter so I would perhaps leave but we loved the crispy potatoes and the desserts, the rum & raisin ice cream which came a moist carrot cake with pineapple cream cheese. We would go again now we know what to order!Special Features:
- Greater service!Kristin375Dined on 10/19/2014Superb service. Even if it was a busy Sunday lunch time, the staff cared us and never missed anything.Special Features:
- Brilliant restaurantKCoulDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I spent our first anniversary evening in the Standard and the food and service did not disappoint. We had a fantastic table which was romantic but also had a great atmosphere. The waiting staff were fantastic, so attentive and gave us really good advice on cocktails and stopped us ordering too much food which was great. There was a great buzz about the place and the food was good too. The only negative was the broccoli we had didn't taste great but the Porter House steak was huge and delicious as were both our starters. I would certainly recommend to friends going there.Special Features:
- Stunning!RozeeeeDined on 10/17/2014I once again shared the joy of good food and remarkable service with my friends, recommending to everyone! 😍Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2014We waited too long on the first course and the noise level in the restaurant was so high we barely could speak / hear each other! If you decide to visit the restaurant make sure you get an outdoor seating.Special Features:
- Must not miss this placeBlperks2VIPDined on 10/14/2014Food was excellent, drink menu was good, the server staff was on top of anything we needed. At times was very loud but overall a great experience. Will go again.... Sunday night special is Fried Chicken... Best I have had!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Steak at The StandardBuzzy1Dined on 10/14/2014The back room is attractive and comfortable and the staff is friendly and attentive. Our salad was pleasant but nothing very special. Our steak was fantastic as was our side of broccoli rabe. I must say that the bread was truly delicious as well. We also enjoyed the radishes and the bit of parmigiana which are nibbles that they give you as you look at the menu- a nice touch. By 9:00 the noise level became a bit overwhelming. It was difficult to talk and we were just 2 people. Nonetheless, it was delicious and we would return when we want to eat near The Highline.Special Features:
- Perfect Columbus Day LunchEinsteinMcEatDined on 10/13/2014Took 4 daughters to the Standard Grill for a special-treat lunch. It was a great call--burgers & fries were fab, cheese & specialty meat platter was fun and delicious, the Cookies & Milk dessert a huge hit and the eclectic, yet cozy atmosphere made it cool even though they were with Mom. Top it all off with a photo booth session--immediately instagramed to all friends--and everyone was happy. Option to play ping pong while waiting for food is also a big draw. Negatives: not a lot of salad choices & the veggie burger tasted more like a falafel.Special Features:
- LacklustrePleasantdinerVIPDined on 10/12/2014The service was not attentive (uneven pace, one appetizer showed up twice and side orders forgotten), my salmon was served Luke warm and the flavour of the dish was very ordinary. It would seem the restaurant is having challenges with front of house service as well as the kitchen. All in all a disappointing experience although I'm happy to say it did not ruin evening.Special Features:
- Super food and staffHansDined on 10/12/2014We arrived after a nice walk at the High Line. Super friendly staff. The Tuna was a top choice of the menu.Special Features:
- Perfect after a High Line WalkMajsanDined on 10/12/2014Excellent brunch after a sunny High Line Walk. The food is really great and this time we had Salad nicoise with fresh, perfectly made tuna and the Standard Grill Burger. Nice service and the relaxed feel of the place makes you feel at home.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014I've come here multiple times before. I tried something different this time and have decided that the eggs Benedict is by far the best thing on the menu (is what I usually get). The brioche doughnuts are a must. Brunch cocktails are expensive and all and all not worth it. And the service is really hit or miss. Our server was rude and horrible, but because I've been multiple times, I'll pribably go back. However, if that had been my first experience, I definitely would not to back. But because of the poor service, I will be trying somewhere else for brunch next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itDiner222Dined on 10/11/2014Food was amazing. We were three girls and could have shared the rib eye for 2 people. The fries were unbelievable good. We were unsure about the wine by glass and got to taste 2 different ones before deciding which was great!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014We had a reservation for 8pm. When we arrived at 750pm, the host told us we were late and gave our reservation away. They seated us 45 mins later. TERRIBLE. AWFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE.Special Features:
- Great foodswedefarmsDined on 10/9/2014The food was delicious. Two things, the crispy potatoes, side order, were a bit lame and with the high price of the rib eye for two I think they should include fries, especially since it comes with Bearnaise. The wonderful chocolate mousse-whipped cream-thingy to share... should be warned by the waiter that it's way too much for 2 people...if you're 4 go right ahead and share! The waiter was pleasant but a bit rushed. Had to ask for a drink order before the food order. Very good otherwise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very poor piece of 100$-meetNanskiluvDined on 10/8/2014We ordered the porterhouse steak for two and could hardly chew the meet. It was grotesquely under the expected quality. After a little back and forward with our waiter and the manager, we eventually didn't pay for it. But in retrospektive, a place like the standard should have never sent that piece of meet out of the kitchen. It was a big disappointment.Special Features:
- Excellent foodJessDined on 10/7/2014Great food, fantastic service and fabulous ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, fancy locationsuzannerDined on 10/3/2014We decided to end our NYC-trip with a dinner at The Standard Grill. The reviews were good and the location seemed amazing. After a cocktail at rooftopbar Le Bain, we descended to the restaurant and were very friendly welcomed by the staff. Our waitress that day was very patient to explainus everything about the menu. The restaurant was full and thus very noisy, but the food was great (grilled octopus as a starter, scallops as an entree), as well as the wine and bread (never underestimate the bread & butter :)). And although it did get very noisy, the staff took care of everything so smoothly and the environment was so beautiful, that we still spent an irritable-free and tasty evening!Special Features:
- No flawsJohnDined on 10/3/2014Service was personal and attentive. There were four of us, and no one found fault with any of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice placetheswedeDined on 10/1/2014Loved the level of service and the ambience. Food keeps high level but not outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/29/2014The restaurant is very attractive and the menu is varied We felt a bit rushed even though it wasn't busy The service was less than attentive and we waited awhile for a bottle of wine to be brought to the table Otherwise the food was tasty It was all good but no need to rush backSpecial Features:
- DeliciousEncoreDined on 9/29/2014The Standard Grill was one of the very best restaurants I visited during my ten day holiday in New York, and I went to quite a few! The menu was interesting with subtle flavours and interesting accompaniments. The chocolate dessert was a slow descent under the table moment - gorgeous! The service was good, wine prices reasonable. It's a gem of a restaurant and thoroughly recommended.Special Features:
- Terrific restaurant in Chelsea!foxmanDined on 9/27/2014We dined outdoors on a beautiful Saturday night in late Sept...The grilled octopus salad and whole roasted chicken entrée for 2 were both outstanding! The wine list has many excellent choices at all price points. We also enjoyed the inside bar both before and after dinner...the staff were all very friendly and attentive...we will definitely be going back....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeKykla64Dined on 9/26/2014Get the burger , you will see that most pple are ordering the same. Perfect!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good!jackDined on 9/23/2014You will be lucky if Gregory serves you... he is very funny and efficient!Special Features:
- Great Spot in Meatpacking DistrictOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/22/2014The Octopus Salad is AMAZING - we had 3 orders. Wait staff was very attentive. Atmosphere is great. Overall a perfect restaurant for a date or fun with friends (this coming from a Washington, DC person who dines out quite a bit). If you are into quiet ambiance, this might not be the scene for you since it is rather 'open concept' seating with a good (not too pretentious) vibe - would recommend requesting one of the half-moon booths. Not suitable for the NYC tourist in shorts and tennis shoes, would not recommend it for families with young children (and I have young children, so I know what I am talking about here).Special Features:
- Well Worth A VisitDavoDined on 9/20/2014Walked the High Line to the restaurant which provided a nice start to our evening. The restaurant and bar was extremely busy and I was a little concerned that the quality may suffer as a result. I am delighted to say my worries were unfounded. I started with grilled Octopus which was heavenly followed by one of the most succulent Pork Chops I have ever tasted. Our waitress was friendly and helpful and the food was delivered in timely fashion with just the right amount of time between courses. If you are looking for a vibrant and lively restaurant with very good food, this is it! Great Bier Garten next door with a Oompah Band to finish of a very pleasant evening, would definitely return.Special Features:
- Perfect spot to chill!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/20/2014They had our reservation a few weeks earlier and upgrDed our table for Saturday brunch because of that. Ask for a table under the pergola and if you're a party if 2-3, request the small corner table. Very inviting, full if character ambience and food and great wait staff. Rise early and head from midtown on foot down Broadway through the parks then back best through Greenwich Village to time your brunch. The take the High Line back north. Perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location indoor/outdoorN45STVIPDined on 9/19/2014If you like Meatpacking, you'll love The Standard Grill. Charming, casual, and 3 kinds of seating - outside, inside in a kitschy country environment, and indoors is more sophisticated, with larger tables, and bar. Very trendy and fun - feels like you are not even in NYC.Special Features:
- Amazing placeFyhaddadDined on 9/18/2014Great atmosphere, great food, great people. The staff could be a tad friendlier/less pretentious but other than that its faultless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.