The Standard Grill
848 Washington Street
The Standard Hotel
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Standard Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thestandardgrill.com/
- Phone: (212) 645-4100
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Mon - Fri: 7:00am, Weekends: 7:00am - 10:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 12:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 1:00am; Late Night: Sunday - Wednesday: 12:00am - 3:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 1:00am - 4:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Contact: Rivka Noskeau 212 645 4100x
A word from The Standard Grill
A neighborhood staple, The Standard Grill is classic New York meets new American cuisine. The front café, bar and street-side bistro is clean and bright with white oak and tile décor and features fresh oysters, specialty cocktails and charcuterie. The main dining room is cozy, old-world with red leather banquets, barrel vaulted ceilings, and a floor paved in copper pennies. The Standard Grill utilizes the freshest local ingredients, blending traditional steak house with new American grill sensibilities.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Standard Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
367 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (203)great for outdoor dining (144)fit for foodies (133)neighborhood gem (132)vibrant bar scene (110)good for groups (109)great for lunch (100)great for brunch (96)special occasion (89)late-night find (70)romantic (69)notable wine list (37)kid-friendly (29)scenic view (20)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/25/2014Great service. Excellent quality food prepared perfectly. Ambiance and decor - romantic and so tasteful. We loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fun never disappointing .....ChristmasJoyVIPDined on 11/24/2014Even on a quiet Monday night when there was an unusual small crown, the energy of this place is high. The waitstaff is attentive and professional, the ambiance was party mode. On this "girls night out" we all opted for the Standard's signature cheeseburger! Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good generally - might do it differently next timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Slightly limited menu and the special was no longer available even though it was only 8.30 pm. The restaurant seemed to empty out around 9.30 and they started laying up for another meal (breakfast??) with a change of the type of chairs at all the empty tables. Perhaps we should have eaten earlier on a Sunday night? Excellent waiter who went above and beyond to help us. One of our party is coeliac and there was very limited choice for her but this seems to be the way in New York generally. On the menu it didn't mention that the chocolate mousse had brownie in it (yum - but not so good if you are coeliac!) but the waiter made a special effort to go and get a portion without brownie - which was thoughtful and considerate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place after Highline walk.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/23/2014They were very accommodating with my family. Friendly staff in a stylish setting. The food was very good. From the cured meats and cheeses to the pork bellies, pastas and finally dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Standard grillSlattsDined on 11/23/2014The only complaint was with the staff at the hostess stand.ma bit aloof and snobby.mthey seem to like encouraging people to get a drink while table is being set. This "setting" process seems to take 15-20 minutes...mince seated everything was fantastic...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun PlaceAnthonyVIPDined on 11/22/2014Standard Grill for us was a fun, lively place with very good food. The staff was exceptional and the meals were well prepared. Our only problem was that our conversation was hindered by the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, nice ambianceKimleblancDined on 11/21/2014We had a nice dinner at the standard grill. The bread is so delicious! Nice wines. We started with the beets and goat cheese, nothing special but ok. Main course burger and trout, nice taste. Nice waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WeaveVTDined on 11/15/2014Belated birthday celebration. The food was wonderful and our waiter was attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014We loved this place! The Ginger snap cocktail was delicios. We had the New york strip which was the best steak I've ever had. Only thing to complain about was that out waitress seemed to be working on comission and tried to sell us the whole menu... That felt a bit uncomfortable unfortunately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cool, fun, lively restaurant is literally buzzingJMK13Dined on 11/13/2014On our first night in NY we'd choosen dinner at the Standard Grill on the recommendation of friends who also loved it. I'm so glad we did. The restaurant is just the right level of noisy and lively, but you can still hear each other speak! the wait staff were attentive and the food arrived quickly. We shared some starters and both had burger for our main course, it was cooked perfectly. We drank delcious cocktails and just lapped up the atmosphere. Aftewards we headed up to the club on the roof top which was good fun. Really recommend the Standard Grill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you value your hearing...LSV49Dined on 11/11/2014Don't go here. Deafening. and one very loud table to screaming men can raise the decib el level even higher. I put in earplugs after about an hour. Service was excruciatingly slow.Special Features:
- loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014This place is the greatest. Great food, marvelous martinis, lovely service. I will return as soon as I can.Special Features:
- Lives up to its rep.gardenerDined on 11/9/2014Delightful staff. Not a haut cuisine menu, but it doesn't need to be. The people and the place are more than worth the not-inexpensive prices. The perfect launch or finish to a stroll up/down the High Line.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great taste!HankDined on 11/9/2014realy tasteful! the rosemary potatos are delicius as well as the egg benedict and huevos ranchos. The only thing you need to remember is to book in advance as this is just as popular as the food is great!Special Features:
- Meat packing gemAlanDined on 11/8/2014Iconic retro building, lot of energy, great looking people, phenomenal food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2014Very enjoyable evening. Fishbowls are a must! Great place for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceCameoDined on 11/7/2014Food was cooked to perfection. Everything was lovely. Waitress was on point with details and suggestions for the table !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperJactamm1Dined on 11/5/2014Awesome service and food💨. The waitress was very personable and the staff extremely attentive. Also we got there around 6pm because we were attending an 8pm event at MSG and they accommodated us to the seat of our choosing. I like to pick where I sit for people watching and seeing the cooking going on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent on all levels except oneGrafdinerDined on 11/4/2014Can't find anything to complain about except the noise level. Service, food, and cocktails were excellent but wouldn't recommend for more than a party of 2 because you won't be able to hear anything anyone else is saying (we were there for dinner at 8:30pm on a Tuesday with a party of 4).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodkwzlVIPDined on 11/3/2014We had a very pleasant meal and the food was very good.Special Features:
- Popular and hipIzzyDined on 11/2/2014Great place near Chelsea Market. Busy place packed with hipsters. Came to take my wife and friends after the marathon. Initially they put the 6 of us at a table that is a 4 top anywhere else. We complained and got a better table in 10 min. Food was great. Seafood platter fabulous. Service was slow and we couldn't keep our water glasses full, but it was a delightful time and a great value for the group.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid OverallEatoutDined on 11/2/2014My wife and I enjoyed the spicy Bloody Mary's in the bar as we arrived early for our reservation. The hostess was gracious enough to offer to try to seat us early if possible, which she ultimately did. The food was above average and service excellent. A great spot near the Highline as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch service was hopeless...janeeDined on 11/2/2014at our table our service was notably lacking. We were in NYC for 2 days and had Sunday Brunch here -- hoping it would be a lively spot with really good food. The wait staff just did not seem to care or have any continuity of wait staff. However, the host and hostess more than made up for this by being super helpful and friendly. Just wish we did not feel like we were a distraction to the wait staff. The problem seemed to be limited to one person in particular... still left us with a very expensive brunch that was delivered like it was a box of car parts. food, location and ambiance are all excellent. Brunch was about $65 for two with no alcohol.Special Features:
- ImpressedUESiderVIPDined on 10/30/2014Friend and I had a great lunch earlier this week. The food was very good but it always is. We split the bill but we both mistakenly tipped on the whole amount of the check, essentially doubling the tip. We did not realize it until the next day but we were impressed that the Restaurant adjusted the tip appropriately without us even calling. Good form Standard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent diningexperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Nice restaurant for dining evenings and nights. The food was very good and the restaurant has a lively and yet cosy ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceFamily5Dined on 10/28/2014Our group had the trout, grilled chicken, duck breast and burger and everthing was really good and nicely presented. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumVanilla0511Dined on 10/26/2014We waited for 45 min to get appetizer and 20 more to get the food that we order the moment we sat at the table BUT our server Iryna was such a nice girl and th food was amazing so it is was a worth waiting. There was some problems in the kitchen specifically with our order. Manager also came to apologize. At the end, appetizer, two mimosas, 4 coffees and two desserts were on the house! Classy move, very professional. Food was 5+ , best burger in the city! Desserts apple pecan crust crumble with ice cream and vanilla rum donuts to die for!! I'll be definitely coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cena fantasticaalezingardiDined on 10/25/2014Il ristorante si trova nel quartiere di Meatpacking, sotto lo Standard Hotel. Il locale è alla moda e ideale per una cena sia con amici, sia romantica. Abbiamo ordinato come primo un risotto alla zucca molto delizioso e per secondo una New York Steak e un filetto davvero squisito (una delle bistecche più buone assaggiate a New York). Accanto al ristorante vi è lo Standard Plaza, un bar molto cool e ideale per un cocktail pre-serata. Consiglio di salire al club Le Bain allo Standard Hotel per concludere la serata. Ottima serata e ottimi locali.Special Features:
- Dissapointing!TheDaneDined on 10/24/2014Not impressed, would not recomment the standard grill to anyone. Except for a late night drink as the place quickly fills up in the weekeend. Unfortunately our seating was ppor, the service was un-attentive and the food was below standard and not meeting our expectations.
- CocktailsAnnaVIPDined on 10/23/2014We loved the food (butter, bread, parmesan cheese and main course - risotto), but we didnt like the drinks - Sweetback and a BloodMary).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- To loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014This was ok but not more than that. The noise level was way too loud.
- Good food, MIA service & bad vibes!GrapeyVIPDined on 10/22/2014The noise drowned out any enjoyment of food or company. I left with my ears ringing. Never again!
- Standby StandoutAnthonyBVIPDined on 10/22/2014The Standard Grill is my favorite restaurant in NYC, not just because it's very close to where I live and work but the food is delicious, the space is beautiful and most importantly the staff is fantastic. The mai·tre d's are some of the most friendly and helpful in the city and the waitstaff could not be more helpful. A meal at the Standard Grill, as often as I go, never ceases to be treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New place at meatpacking for fish!NikkibDined on 10/21/2014Loved it! Great food, mostly pasta and fish, few option for meat if u don't eat pork. But i had an amazing duck! Well served, beautiful ambience, many graet wines by the glass, just on the new standard hotel by high line in meatpacking. What not to like. Outside with plants is gorgeous and inside main dinning area is amazing. Do not recommend the indoor balcony, nit the same vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing....J33aDined on 10/20/2014Took ages to get served, longer to get our drinks. The drinks order was wrong with a guest with a peanut allergy being given a drink with nuts. Dinner took forever, majority of food was cold. Given an apologetic dessert. Only to be charged for it on the check. Avoid.
- Highline StapleMariaVIPDined on 10/20/2014Meeting a friend from out of town, I chose the Standard Grill because of it's great locations right near the High line, and it's great reputation. It did not disappoint. The waitress sensed we had a lot to catch up on and took care to be both attentive, yet non intrusive. The house wine was very nice as was the food. We both chose the bourbon glazed pork chop for dinner, which was a meal and a half. It was delicious! Desert was a croissant bread pudding, again really good. This is a great go to place both if you live here, and if you are visiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A touch more than standardLuvmyfoodDined on 10/19/2014Service was fantastic, with an attentive waiter who noticed when our glasses needed to be topped up and he was observant. He noticed one of the the party was not enjoying her steak dish of tri- tip steak. The manager came over immediately and tried to help my friend order an alternative as she was genuinely keen to see her enjoy her meal. All was resolved and everyone enjoyed their food. The broccoli was a little bitter so I would perhaps leave but we loved the crispy potatoes and the desserts, the rum & raisin ice cream which came a moist carrot cake with pineapple cream cheese. We would go again now we know what to order!Special Features:
- Greater service!Kristin375VIPDined on 10/19/2014Superb service. Even if it was a busy Sunday lunch time, the staff cared us and never missed anything.Special Features:
- Brilliant restaurantKCoulDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I spent our first anniversary evening in the Standard and the food and service did not disappoint. We had a fantastic table which was romantic but also had a great atmosphere. The waiting staff were fantastic, so attentive and gave us really good advice on cocktails and stopped us ordering too much food which was great. There was a great buzz about the place and the food was good too. The only negative was the broccoli we had didn't taste great but the Porter House steak was huge and delicious as were both our starters. I would certainly recommend to friends going there.Special Features:
- Stunning!RozeeeeDined on 10/17/2014I once again shared the joy of good food and remarkable service with my friends, recommending to everyone! 😍Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.