34977 Woodward Ave
Birmingham, MI 48009Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thestandbistro.com/
- Phone: 2482204237x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday-Friday 11am-4pm
Dinner: Monday-Thursday 4-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American, French
- Executive Chef: Chef Paul Grosz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: None
A word from The Stand
Welcome to modern American food with serious local flavor; or as we like to say, rustic but refined. Just some of The Stand's distinctions include charcuterie, a dedicated vegan menu, craft beers, private dining areas, a 10-seat chef's table and so much more. It's downtown cool with an uptown vibe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
The Stand - Best Restaurants in Birmingham ›
The Stand reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (34)special occasion (32)notable wine list (24)romantic (23)neighborhood gem (19)good for groups (12)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for lunch (7)scenic view (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Really enjoyed our experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Excellent food and service. Chef Gross has another winner with The Stand. The menu and atmosphere lends itself to a casual meal or celebrating a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningMartyVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food and service was so very well executed. Staff is friendly and efficient. The food was beautifully presented and very tasty.Special Features:
- Good foodJimboDined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed my first dining experience here. Everything ordered was soo good. The duck and pasta dishes were cooked to perfection. A classy fun dinnerSpecial Features:
- Beautiful ambiance, excellent food!YsoloDined on 8/29/2014My family (husband and 2 children) dined at Stand for my husband's birthday. Located in a perfect spot for parking and enjoying Birmingham! The food was awesome and our waitstaff was impressive. The menu isn't kid friendly but our waiter did a great job accommodating our picky children. Food did take longer than we expected from the point of ordering but it was worth the wait. It would be a great date night dinner outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but boring ambianceTrieditoutDined on 8/23/2014We enjoyed the food but that was it. The decor is outdated even though newly done and very boring looking. Not a great place for ambience. We were first seated at a booth that the back was so uncomfortable it pushed us forward. We had to move to a table.
- EXCELLENT!!!!!!GreatVIPDined on 8/14/2014I was in town to attend the Woodward Dream Cruise. My second time at The Stand and I could not of been happier. The food and the service were very good. I had the Maine lobster crab broth and the short ribs for my entrée. My waiter William was fantastic. I'm looking forward to going back again when I'm in town. I highly recommend hands down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerbubbieVIPDined on 8/9/2014We had dinner to celebrate a friends special birthday. Everything was very good. The halibut in a mushroom sauce was outstanding. The ambience and the service was very special. I certainly would recommend the restaurant for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodWatchTimesComDined on 8/2/2014Reminded me a lot of Roast, food was very good, service was excellent. Smaller menu but a good variety. VERY noisy due to a private party in the back. I would go back if I was invited with others or needed someplace close otherwise I think I would go to Roast instead.Special Features:
- Excellence in BirminghamZitiVIPDined on 7/26/2014There is so much that is right about The Stand, that there aren't enough characters available to type here to do it justice. This is reliable excellence, no matter what you order, so try anything from the "Red Lobster" to the incredible house-made Pasta Bolognese (which you will then crave!), and save room for dessert. Chef Grosz has brought a treat to those who don't want to go all the way downtown. We plan to visit him often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014We sat in the bar area. Next time I would like to sit in the main dinning. Did not care for our waiter, I don't need to be called "darling".Special Features:
- wonderful birthday dinnergfdinesout10Dined on 7/19/2014I had informed the restaurant ahead of time that it was my husband's birthday. We arrived to the table to find a message wishing him a happy birthday and birthday sparkles sprinkled across the table. The waiter was very knowledgeable about the food andsuggested we share some appetizers. The pork belly was wonderful, not too fatty and the five slices were enough to be shared along with an order of tomato risotto from the vegan menu. I had the seared tuna breast with a chantrelle mushroom couscous and foie gras. The tuna was cooked perfectly rare and the foie gras melted in my mouth. Everyone at the table said their main course was excellent and these dishes included the roast duck, the lamb two ways, and a halibutdish. Excellent desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale atmosphere and foodfunfriendDined on 7/19/2014We had a very nice meal at The Stand. It was dressier than we expected and the prices reflect that level. Members at our table had duck, steak and pasta dishes. All very good. We also ordered 3 sides to share. The portions were large enough that we really didn't need the shared dishes - one would have been enough. The service was excellent - attentive and friendly without being intrusive. The only dish that wasn't received well by our group was the vegan tomato risotto. It was ok. The Stand's matchbox motto was "Rustic but Refined" - I really didn't experience anything rustic. My one suggestion to the restaurant would be to make it more to the keeping of their motto - roughen it up a bit, and increase the casual feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dzagnVIPDined on 7/16/2014Overload, but with great benefit, on the pre-entree fare. Scallop app a MUST. Do not skip the vegan dishes, great as a share with entrees no matter your preference to animal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing nightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/14/2014We've been to the Stand 5 or six times in the last 6-9 months and had a very good experiences. This was not one of those times. Problems: brought the wrong charcuterie tray, water glass tasted like dishwashing soap and dirty water, medium rare bone in filet came out medium well to well, son's waygu beef was half overdone and not tasty and half very good, took over 20-25 minutes for new steak to arrive, the server brought it out and my wine glass was empty and he walked away, i waited to see if i'd see him but after 7-8 minutes he was no where to be found so i decided I'd get up and get one myself from the bar, no one there, he was in the kitchen and the owner didn't seem to care.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencecouzDined on 7/12/2014We were a party of 5 and everyone of us enjoyed dining at The Stand. We were celebrating a special birthday and The Stand added to the occasion. The restaurant's acknowledgement of the birthday was appreciated. Very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Goodlove2dinezDined on 7/11/2014It was delicious and very very unique. They even created amazing mock-tails!Special Features:
- Creative Fine DiningAnnieSDined on 7/5/2014The Stand covers all the bases and is a great addition to the dining scene in metro Detroit. The wine list has some deals and it's fun to look for them. The entire menu is very creative while founded in french technique. Fantastic service. A memorable evening helped out by the fact that we had the best table in the house. Can't wait to go back for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2014We celebrated our anniversary at The Stand and were not disappointed. Attentive staff, great food, and a wonderful atmosphere. We'd go back again and recommend it highly!Special Features:
- Nice special occasion restaurantChickieBDined on 6/21/2014We all ordered different entrees and all enjoyed our food. We noticed that both the soup, and main entrees were oversalted, which seems to be a trend in many restaurants. I would have given an outstanding rating for the food if not for that. Also, ordered the special and the portion seemed to be very small-I ordered soup and side vegetables, and the latter was very good. The service was very attentive. I would return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfreakVIPDined on 6/17/2014We had a great experience. The bourbon list is extensive with many great choices, and the drinks are generous. The wine list includes many reasonable choices and the food is delicious. We loved the tuna tartare, chopped salad, sturgeon and whitefish. Our server was friendly and competent and everyone makes us feel so welcome it makes us want to keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland food, great staffLynzeatsDined on 6/14/2014We wanted to love it. The staff was wonderful, great selection of liqueur:). The food was really bland and uninspired. I would not be inclined to return.
- boboVIPDined on 6/10/2014We've always enjoyed dining at Cuisine, so were curious if we'd be as pleased with our first visit to The Stand. Happy to report that yes, we were. Four in our group & each of us ordered a different entree....all very good. And although the beautifully designed restaurant was fairly quiet (Tuesday night), the bar was rollicking. Looked like fun, will have to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is delicious, great wine menuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/9/2014I enjoyed the table setup and ambiance. The service is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InterestingSuebeeDined on 6/7/2014The atmosphere is classy much better that the predecessor. At first we couldn't find anything we really wanted on the menu. We settled for a great salad and wonderful appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatVIPDined on 6/6/2014OMG. I was blown away with the food and the service. I highly recommend hands down. I can't wait to return in the near future. Everything was perfect!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfreakVIPDined on 5/24/2014We had a wonderful meal which started with a generous drink. The lobster egg & soft shelled crab special was divine, the tuna with quinoa was also delicious & we loved the beet salad. Also the short rib appetizer was amazing. We love the beautiful décor & the servers are always knowledgable & helpful. We felt very welcome & and will look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- The following 110 reviews are from the The Stand reviews archive.
- Wonderful dining experience.skanerVIPDined on 5/22/2014We have been to the stand now at least 4 times and each time the food and service have been exceptional. The menu is very intriguing and will always have something for everyone from vegan to meat eaters. Healthy choices and always tasty. Cant wait to go again.Special Features:
- BeejDined on 5/16/2014Great ambiance - food was OK - service was very good.Special Features:
- Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Went thinking we'd be able to order from the menu, but instead it was a set Mourners day brunch menu. There wet food choices and over all it was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just AwesomethewinepoorDined on 5/10/2014After the epic fail as Zazios, this space is now a GREAT restaurant! the Stand was impressive in every regard. Food was excellent and had some unique dishes and the wine list (specifically the reserve list) was fantastic. We will be back againSpecial Features:
- Excellent! Great Addition in BhamJeffRDined on 5/10/2014The ambiance, service and food were excellent. The food would have gotten 5 stars if the sides we ordered had been a touch warmer (the macaroni and cheese, which is quite good, was only slightly warm, rather than hot, along with the brussel sprouts and potato). But our waitress was excellent, even having the bartender make my wife a "mocktail" so she could have a "drink." Also, their specialty drink the Woodward and Maple, was incredible. Highly reccomended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is really good.MamaisdebesteDined on 5/3/2014The food & presentation is really good. Everyone enjoyed it Also rhe seevice was really attentive. We would go back for the appitizers and maincourse. But skip the dessert they need a pasterie chef . Too heavy the mango thing had no taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/2/2014excellent food will go back and would recommend to othersSpecial Features:
- Amazing foodAk3536Dined on 4/26/2014Great food and good service. I have always been a fan of Chef Paul's restaurant Cuisine. The food is just as amazing here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentKandbDined on 4/26/2014Excellent service, wine list and food selection. We asked for a quiet table and received it! Meal was fabulous...I had the tuna, my husband had the halibut..Special Features:
- Expensive and disappointingRobertVIPDined on 4/23/2014Reviews we had read had us expecting exceptional food and we were disappointed. The food is OK and expensive even for a high end restaurant. One dish was exceptional, the corn with candied almonds. This is on the Vegan menu and we ordered as a side dish. Maybe some more exploring of the Vegan menu might find other good veggie dishes.Special Features:
- Good but....Lmilzy22Dined on 4/12/2014The Stand was good, but I've had better food. Our server recommended the halibit but it wasn't outstanding. My husband had the bone in filet and he said it was prepared perfectly. The portions were not large which is fine with me as long as the food is outstanding it is wasn't. The table we sat at was in an odd location and someone in our party had to move in whenever the servers came by. I had reservations for over a week.Special Features:
- Nice placeStephS107VIPDined on 4/12/2014Cant rave about this place but no real complaints either. The short rib app didn't quite live up to the raving reviews I read. My lamb duet dinner was delicious, and my husband loved his scallops. Our dining companions both ordered bone-in filet, which they liked, but the strange sausage sauce and asparagus salad went untouched. A better selection of sides is needed I think. Nothing on the dessert menu appealed to us so we passed. Salads were plenty big for 2 to share. A smaller side salad offering would be nice. May return, but prob would opt for trying another place before we do that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party of 8WBarryDined on 4/12/2014Another great dining experience. Everything we sample is a treat. Our guests are always impressed.Special Features:
- Nice ambience and the food was okayOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/5/2014The menu is very eclectic and I had a difficult time finding something that piqued my interest. The corn chowder is excellent but the honey risotto was very bland and unexciting. The daily special was an 8 oz. steak with morel mushrooms in a lovely sauce and it was very delicious It was delicious though very expensive at $49. There was no salad and two small potatoes which I did not eat. Someone else at our table ordered a fish and he thought it to be delicious as well.Special Features: