34977 Woodward Ave
Birmingham, MI 48009Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thestandbistro.com/
- Phone: (248) 220-4237
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday-Friday 11am-4pm
Dinner: Monday-Thursday 4-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American, French
- Executive Chef: Chef Paul Grosz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: None
A word from The Stand
Welcome to modern American food with serious local flavor; or as we like to say, rustic but refined. Just some of The Stand's distinctions include charcuterie, a dedicated vegan menu, craft beers, private dining areas, a 10-seat chef's table and so much more. It's downtown cool with an uptown vibe.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Stand - Best Restaurants in Birmingham ›
The Stand reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (37)neighborhood gem (27)special occasion (26)notable wine list (24)romantic (22)good for groups (18)vibrant bar scene (13)hot spot (12)great for lunch (8)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Third time at the restaurant, I will be back!GrazieVIPDined on 11/19/2014The Stand is trying hard, we enjoyed the bar-booth and had an attentive waitress. The salmon was delicious and I would order that again. Cooked just right. We enjoyed our chardonnay too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or missFoodiequeenVIPDined on 11/11/2014My first experience here was great. This time, not so much. The restaurant was hosting an event that night at the bar so it was very loud, not perfect for our cozy anniversary dinner. Food: mussels tasted days old, the short ribs lacked any seasoning and the steaks we ordered medium well came our medium rare. The only good thing about the night was the service. Will not be going back unless it is for drinks, which were amazing. Go there for drinks but, eat somewhere else in Birmingham.
- Nice Scenery - Below Average FoodJasonAndCalidaDined on 11/8/2014I was very excited when I found this restaurant in my quest for new Gastropubs in the area. On Saturday November 8th, my wife and I went to the Stand. When we walked in, we were immediately drawn in by the decor and ambiance. The place looks amazing and it had an energetic vibe. We were sat by a window. The view was of a Kroger grocery store and my back was to the restaurant - tables should be adjacent to the window. Next, our server came out. I don't think he introduced himself by name, but he was great! He was very knowledgeable about the menu, we connected with him well. After that we received our food. My wife got the Filet prepared Sous Vide style - great texture - no flavor. I got the Shrimp Linquine - no flavor at all.Special Features:
- DeliciousSatisfiedinoxfordDined on 11/7/2014Our server was so knowledgable. He catered to us but also allowed us time to decide on the delicious options. We ordered spaghetti and butternut squash ravioli, pork belly slider, and the braised short rib along with some of the delicious signature cocktails. The food and drink were executed perfectly and the service was impeccable. I would recommend The Stand to anyone that wants to have a one of a kind dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfreakVIPDined on 11/7/2014We love the ambiance of The Stand, our server was competent and friendly, and almost all of the meal was delicious, except for the veal meatballs with pasta, which were very salty, but flavorful, for those who like salt. We loved the mussels, the chop-chop salad and the salmon and we had a great bottle of wine. The choices of bourbon were really impressive too. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXEMPLARYPleasantRidgeFoodieVIPDined on 11/5/2014Everything about this experience was exemplary. From the valet greeting right to one of the chef's delivering our entrée right to our table. One of the best food experiences we've had ever in the Detroit area. Prices not arrogant, which is a relief!Special Features:
- Always GoodTestKitchenVIPDined on 11/1/2014Food is always top notch and the service is excellent. This is on our list of restaurants to enjoy on a regular basis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frequent The StandGrazieVIPDined on 10/23/2014This was the second time at this restaurant and we loved it this time. I hope more people frequent this restaurant so it remains OPEN. Tables are set well, nice dishes, great bread and we all liked our food.Special Features:
- MockcharlaMickcharlaVIPDined on 10/18/2014Great bar with full menu to watch Detroit's teams on TVSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chopped salad was pre preparedLottiedaDined on 10/10/2014The chopped salad was pre prepared and too cold and bland as a consequence. The Halibut was just warm and the waiter treated us like step children.Special Features:
- The Stand doesn't stand highdrcunn1VIPDined on 10/10/2014We're frequent diners in Birmingham, Bloomfield and Troy. Our 2nd try at The Stand, we waited quite awhile to return because our first experience was only fair. The food is satisfactory - I had amish chicken breast and my husband was served the pasta of the day. Prices are quite high. Service was slow. Far too many very good to excellent restaurants in the area so we won't be revisiting The Stand. If you do dine at this restaurant, try eating in the bar area and order from the bar menu.Special Features:
- Worth trying onceCoffeeadict10Dined on 10/10/2014We tried the stand for our anniversary. I had mentioned this ahead of time to the restaurant, not expecting anything free but a simple congratulations. This did not occur. Our service was incredibly slow. Our waiter,forgot to bring my wine and did offer more bread while waiting for our entrees. We noticed that several other tables had chefs and/or managers coming up to their tables to see how their dinning experience was. During our two hours no one Approached us leaving us feel unimportant. The food was decent, but nothing wow Ed us. We have dinned at other nearby restaurants and had far better experiences. With all the options, we will go somewhere where we feel important, has amazing food, and great service. The stand did not do
- mushy noodles/bad waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/6/2014You could tell they were trying(the kitchen staff, not the waiter). Yet the spaghetti was mushy.
- Almost great.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014The Stand is a nice resturaunt. The food is good and the menu is varied. The service was very good, Individually aspects deserve a 5 star review, but something was missing as a package. The high ceilings are elegant, but lack the intimacy that the menu implies. I hesitate to be negativeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulLatinfoodieDined on 9/20/2014Great food, great atmosphere. Great service. Lovely subdued decor....fall menu is delicious! Nice to have a place in Birmingham where you are able to hear conversations at your own table! Truly enjoyable dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed our experienceJT48236Dined on 9/13/2014Excellent food and service. Chef Gross has another winner with The Stand. The menu and atmosphere lends itself to a casual meal or celebrating a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch all the way!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014One of the best restaurants I have ever eaten at, top to bottom an incredible menu! Something for everyone...do not miss the short rib appetizer and the lobster fried egg...unreal!Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningMartyVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food and service was so very well executed. Staff is friendly and efficient. The food was beautifully presented and very tasty.Special Features:
- Good foodJimboDined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed my first dining experience here. Everything ordered was soo good. The duck and pasta dishes were cooked to perfection. A classy fun dinnerSpecial Features:
- The Stand stands TallGPFoodieDined on 8/29/2014If you are looking for a top notch restaurant, you have to visit The Stand Gastro Bistro My husband and I enjoyed our 10 Year Anniversary in high style. The ambience is definitely upscale, but not stuffy, it is hip and modern and we love their Farm-to-Table approach with fresh ingredients from local Michigan farmers. The owners have put a ton of thought into the details. Order the warm spinach and radicchio salad with a velvety egg on top - the most incredible salad. We also recommend the Alaskan Halibut and the three tastings of sides. The bar was lively and bustling and had a unique menu that we will definitely come back to try. Overall a great experience with a professional staff and attentive service to boot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ambiance, excellent food!YsoloDined on 8/29/2014My family (husband and 2 children) dined at Stand for my husband's birthday. Located in a perfect spot for parking and enjoying Birmingham! The food was awesome and our waitstaff was impressive. The menu isn't kid friendly but our waiter did a great job accommodating our picky children. Food did take longer than we expected from the point of ordering but it was worth the wait. It would be a great date night dinner outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but boring ambianceTrieditoutDined on 8/23/2014We enjoyed the food but that was it. The decor is outdated even though newly done and very boring looking. Not a great place for ambience. We were first seated at a booth that the back was so uncomfortable it pushed us forward. We had to move to a table.
- EXCELLENT!!!!!!GreatVIPDined on 8/14/2014I was in town to attend the Woodward Dream Cruise. My second time at The Stand and I could not of been happier. The food and the service were very good. I had the Maine lobster crab broth and the short ribs for my entrée. My waiter William was fantastic. I'm looking forward to going back again when I'm in town. I highly recommend hands down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerbubbieVIPDined on 8/9/2014We had dinner to celebrate a friends special birthday. Everything was very good. The halibut in a mushroom sauce was outstanding. The ambience and the service was very special. I certainly would recommend the restaurant for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodWatchTimesComDined on 8/2/2014Reminded me a lot of Roast, food was very good, service was excellent. Smaller menu but a good variety. VERY noisy due to a private party in the back. I would go back if I was invited with others or needed someplace close otherwise I think I would go to Roast instead.Special Features:
- Excellence in BirminghamZitiVIPDined on 7/26/2014There is so much that is right about The Stand, that there aren't enough characters available to type here to do it justice. This is reliable excellence, no matter what you order, so try anything from the "Red Lobster" to the incredible house-made Pasta Bolognese (which you will then crave!), and save room for dessert. Chef Grosz has brought a treat to those who don't want to go all the way downtown. We plan to visit him often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 127 reviews are from the The Stand reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014We sat in the bar area. Next time I would like to sit in the main dinning. Did not care for our waiter, I don't need to be called "darling".Special Features:
- wonderful birthday dinnergfdinesout10Dined on 7/19/2014I had informed the restaurant ahead of time that it was my husband's birthday. We arrived to the table to find a message wishing him a happy birthday and birthday sparkles sprinkled across the table. The waiter was very knowledgeable about the food andsuggested we share some appetizers. The pork belly was wonderful, not too fatty and the five slices were enough to be shared along with an order of tomato risotto from the vegan menu. I had the seared tuna breast with a chantrelle mushroom couscous and foie gras. The tuna was cooked perfectly rare and the foie gras melted in my mouth. Everyone at the table said their main course was excellent and these dishes included the roast duck, the lamb two ways, and a halibutdish. Excellent desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale atmosphere and foodfunfriendDined on 7/19/2014We had a very nice meal at The Stand. It was dressier than we expected and the prices reflect that level. Members at our table had duck, steak and pasta dishes. All very good. We also ordered 3 sides to share. The portions were large enough that we really didn't need the shared dishes - one would have been enough. The service was excellent - attentive and friendly without being intrusive. The only dish that wasn't received well by our group was the vegan tomato risotto. It was ok. The Stand's matchbox motto was "Rustic but Refined" - I really didn't experience anything rustic. My one suggestion to the restaurant would be to make it more to the keeping of their motto - roughen it up a bit, and increase the casual feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dzagnVIPDined on 7/16/2014Overload, but with great benefit, on the pre-entree fare. Scallop app a MUST. Do not skip the vegan dishes, great as a share with entrees no matter your preference to animal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing nightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/14/2014We've been to the Stand 5 or six times in the last 6-9 months and had a very good experiences. This was not one of those times. Problems: brought the wrong charcuterie tray, water glass tasted like dishwashing soap and dirty water, medium rare bone in filet came out medium well to well, son's waygu beef was half overdone and not tasty and half very good, took over 20-25 minutes for new steak to arrive, the server brought it out and my wine glass was empty and he walked away, i waited to see if i'd see him but after 7-8 minutes he was no where to be found so i decided I'd get up and get one myself from the bar, no one there, he was in the kitchen and the owner didn't seem to care.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencecouzDined on 7/12/2014We were a party of 5 and everyone of us enjoyed dining at The Stand. We were celebrating a special birthday and The Stand added to the occasion. The restaurant's acknowledgement of the birthday was appreciated. Very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Goodlove2dinezDined on 7/11/2014It was delicious and very very unique. They even created amazing mock-tails!Special Features:
- Creative Fine DiningAnnieSDined on 7/5/2014The Stand covers all the bases and is a great addition to the dining scene in metro Detroit. The wine list has some deals and it's fun to look for them. The entire menu is very creative while founded in french technique. Fantastic service. A memorable evening helped out by the fact that we had the best table in the house. Can't wait to go back for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2014We celebrated our anniversary at The Stand and were not disappointed. Attentive staff, great food, and a wonderful atmosphere. We'd go back again and recommend it highly!Special Features:
- Nice special occasion restaurantChickieBDined on 6/21/2014We all ordered different entrees and all enjoyed our food. We noticed that both the soup, and main entrees were oversalted, which seems to be a trend in many restaurants. I would have given an outstanding rating for the food if not for that. Also, ordered the special and the portion seemed to be very small-I ordered soup and side vegetables, and the latter was very good. The service was very attentive. I would return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfreakVIPDined on 6/17/2014We had a great experience. The bourbon list is extensive with many great choices, and the drinks are generous. The wine list includes many reasonable choices and the food is delicious. We loved the tuna tartare, chopped salad, sturgeon and whitefish. Our server was friendly and competent and everyone makes us feel so welcome it makes us want to keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland food, great staffLynzeatsDined on 6/14/2014We wanted to love it. The staff was wonderful, great selection of liqueur:). The food was really bland and uninspired. I would not be inclined to return.
- boboVIPDined on 6/10/2014We've always enjoyed dining at Cuisine, so were curious if we'd be as pleased with our first visit to The Stand. Happy to report that yes, we were. Four in our group & each of us ordered a different entree....all very good. And although the beautifully designed restaurant was fairly quiet (Tuesday night), the bar was rollicking. Looked like fun, will have to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is delicious, great wine menuDine2experienceVIPDined on 6/9/2014I enjoyed the table setup and ambiance. The service is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.