711 Main St.
Houston, TX 77002Neighborhood:
South AfricanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://springbokhouston.com/
- Phone: 8182016979
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, South African
- Executive Chef: Chef Greenburg
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Capitol
- Public Transit: Metro line has stations on Main for both the North/South and new East/West corridors.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Friday and Saturday evening valet available at the corner of Main and Rusk, alternatively there are a number of reasonably priced city lots on the blocks adjacent to the business. The best rate is currently located on Texas just West of Main for $5.00 per evening. There is always free street parking available after 6pm.
A word from The Springbok
Enjoy the delightful flavors of contemporary South African cuisine as re-imagined by Chef Seth Greenburg (formerly the executive Chef of The Huntley Hotel in Santa Monica CA), while taking in the best of rugby, cricket and soccer available from around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Springbok reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (5)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (4)neighborhood gem (3)great for lunch (3)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014The flank steak was very good. We had the starter-it was quail and duck in a pepper sauce that is a must have. Lots of good beer on tap too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/6/2014I really wanted to like this restaurant more because this is the only second South African restaurant that I know of in the Houston area. Everything came out lukewarm and we were the only customers at the time. Maybe I've been spoiled by a great South African restaurant in Atlanta where I used to live, but this just didn't compare at all. The server was really nice and attentive though. The downtown location was not easy to get to unless you live or work in that area and are able to walk there.
- DisappointedFoodie100VIPDined on 8/30/2014Saw the chef featured on the local NBC affiliate, and expected more South African cuisine as he described. Was very disappointed with the food.Special Features:
- Another sports barNicknameRequiredDined on 8/30/2014The idea of South African food sounded great and new. Some of the dinner menu items weren't available, though, and when I checked the menu ahead of time online and made some choices, that menu was not provided at dinner. I wish they had specified online it was a lunch menu versus dinner menu. Food and staff were good, though. I think my friends were expecting more with their curry, it was in a small bowl. Overall the noise was distracting. It's a wide open room, 2 levels, TV's everywhere and screaming sports fans. Very echo-y. Couldn't even hear my friends talk. And it was an early evening on a saturday, hardly filled with people. If you like sports, come here. If you don't, avoid it on a game night.Special Features:
- Delightful South African FareJLConnor3VIPDined on 8/28/2014Great food in a smart looking setting. Nice beer selection including local brews. One of the few places you can go and watch cricket (amongst other sports) on the telly. Keep up the good work, lads!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great South African restaurant/barOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Food is absolutely exceptional. Combining a very robust bar with great draft selection with fine dining tables can prove tricky for diners who prefer not to risk rowdy groups at the bar, but the food and overall staff friendliness makes it well worth it. The upstairs bar area with TVs, leather couches and armchairs and what looked like a pool table in the works makes this a particular gem!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/16/2014Friendly but painfully slow service. Took an hour to get our food and we were virtually the only customers at 545 pm. They were also out of several menu items. Has potential but will need apt of work.
- Interesting MenuNomNomDined on 8/15/2014My husband and I decided to stop by for a late dinner. We were excited to try something new but unfortunately, many dishes such as the oxtail and chicken liver mousse were already sold out. The devilish eggs were awesome and the peri peri chicken was the most tender I have ever eaten. We will definitely come for an earlier dinner next time!Special Features:
- SportsbarUnimpressedDined on 8/9/2014Not a lot of authentic SA food options. Could be any of 100 sports bars in town.Special Features:
- The following 0 reviews are from the The Springbok reviews archive.