The Spiced Pear
117 Memorial Boulevard
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
The Spiced Pear
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thechanler.com/dining
- Phone: (401) 847-2244
- Hours of Operation:
The Spiced Pear opens daily for dinner from 5:30pm - 9:30pm. The Spiced Pear dinner menu is available in our Main dinning room only.
Dinner reservations are recommended.
Lunch is served in our Veranda Sunroom daily from 12pm to 3pm.
Al fresco dining, daily from noon to close on the Cliff Walk Terrace serving our lighter fare menu (weather permitting, call for availability)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Continental, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Thomas Duffy
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: John Winthrop Room - Provides seating for up to 8 guests. The entire restaurant can be contracted for private parties and weddings.
- Private Party Contact: Kate Wood (401)847-2244 x
- Entertainment: Fireside Jazz with Dick Lupino and his musicians, every Friday night from 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM.
- Special Events: Live Jazz on Friday nights, Romance Dinner Packages, Chef's table, private dinners,
A word from The Spiced Pear
Welcome to The Spiced Pear Restaurant offering the very best in Newport fine dining. We use only the freshest seasonal ingredients from New England and abroad. Enjoy fine dining in a beautiful oceanfront setting. The Spiced Pear Restaurant located in The Chanler at Cliff Walk is a Newport treasure waiting to be discovered! The best of Newport awaits you with endless cliff-side Atlantic views, romantic atmosphere and the highest quality service. The spiced pear dinner menu is served in our main dining room only.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Spiced Pear - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
The Spiced Pear reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (62)romantic (58)scenic view (55)fit for foodies (40)notable wine list (28)great for outdoor dining (21)neighborhood gem (10)great for lunch (5)good for groups (4)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- So SoMomalu444Dined on 11/21/2014We stayed at the Chanler November 21-23. The hotel and grounds are beautiful. We decided to eat at the Spiced Pear because the menu looked great. The restaurant was extremely loud due to the music in the bar. The food was unremarkable. I don't think I would schedule a repeat visit.Special Features:
- 25thCandLDined on 11/18/2014We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary with dinner at the Spiced Pear. We came early on a cold Tuesday evening. For most of the evening we were the only ones in the restaurant which turned out to be perfect for our very special celebration. The service, ambiance, and food were all superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingLeenyDined on 11/16/2014Went on a visit to Newport and it was the last day of restaurant week. Scored a table for 4 at this restaurant and very pleased. My picky husband loved every bite. Would love to see this restaurant during the day to see the view and grounds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chowDined on 11/16/2014The atmosphere is very nice and the restaurant face the cliff walk. It will be nice to have lunch there in the summer time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteScottDined on 11/13/2014We finally made to the Spiced Pear and were not disappointed in any way. Best meal I ever had in Newport. Service was just right, there when we needed it. Personable without being over-bearing, refreshing to have servers that treat you as you are - customers seeking the ultimate dining experience in Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly Recommend!!BethDined on 11/12/2014We came to Spiced Pear to celebrate my husband's birthday and be a part of Newport's restaurant week. The chef treated us with a chorizo and oyster fritter to start that was amazing! I would have loved as an appetizer. Our salads were garden fresh with just a light amount of dressing which was perfect and didn't overwhelm the fresh greens. Our entree of bay scallops and local seasonal vegetables were great. For dessert we tried the butternut ice cream presented with a flat chocolate cake, that was good but wish I had ordered the pumpkin souffle. The service was perfect, attentive and respectful. The Spiced Pear always has local fresh ingredients and the chef's unique and beautiful use of herbs and presentation always impresses!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of Restaurant WeekgregDined on 11/11/2014My wife and I have been to 9 different restaurants during Newport's restaurant week and the Spiced Pear is by far the best.Special Features:
- the Spiced Pear in NovemberSMNYCDined on 11/10/2014Wonderful food. Lovely ambience. Delightful service -- everyone had some history on the establishment to share with us. Their private champagne blend was a treat. We had scallops and short ribs as our main courses. Thank you Restaurant Week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerdebbeyesDined on 11/8/2014We were in Newport during restaurant week and were lucky to be able to dine here due to a last minute cancellation. We chose the 3 course restaurant week menu and it did not disappoint. Our server Paul was very knowledgeable about the menu. We had the grilled oysters, the Diver scallops and the bread pudding. The wine was also well paired with this. This was accompanied by the most magnificent view of a full moon rising over the water. Would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant eveningCJDolanDined on 11/8/2014we had dinner for restaurant week and were so delighted with all they have to offer........such an elegant dining experience.....best food ever....Special Features:
- Top notch service and food!ArthurgDined on 11/7/2014Maurice the bar tender does an outstanding job, one of the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itLakergirl14Dined on 10/31/2014Great service, great food, can't wait to go back :) Everything we ate was cooked to perfection, and was so yummy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful view, but really bad foodUmamiQuestVIPDined on 10/19/2014We had to send back both the appetizer and one main dish. The fried calamari was inedible, like cardboard. The servers tried so hard to be gracious and accommodating, but it couldn't make up for the food. That said, you can't beat the view of the beach over the cliff walk. Go for a drink at the beautiful bar, and skip the food.Special Features:
- The Perfect ChoiceTallulahDined on 10/18/2014I booked a trip to Newport for my boyfriend's birthday and decided to make reservations at this restaurant. Everything about it was amazing! The view of the beach was simply gorgeous and we got some great pictures outside. The restaurant was small and quaint. The food.... oh the food! I can't say enough about the food, so delicious. The service was top notch as well. I highly recommend this restaurant for any special occasion you may be celebrating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatsyDined on 10/18/2014I was happy with everything !what a beautiful place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/17/2014Although we enjoyed our dinner and the service was fine, it did not exceed our expectations; but would definitely dine there again when in the area. The following evening we dined at The Inn at Castle Hill and have to admit, the food, service, etc. very definitely exceeded our expectations. Love the Chanler Inn, EVERYONE at the Chanler makes you feel welcome, the service is exceptional and very user-friendly people are willing to assist you at every turn; the bar and service at the bar are excellent, love Maurice and his specialty drinks, but the Spiced Pear did disappoint a little. After all the rave reviews, we were expecting something more spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv ItGRRBVIPDined on 10/12/2014Fantastic! From the valet parking your car, to the lady who greets you, to the paintings on the walls, to your sever, to the superb food!Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceJacko7Dined on 10/12/2014My wife and I went to the Spiced Pear for our 10th wedding anniversary and we were not disappointed. We went early for the best seat, right near the windows overlooking the Bay. Everyone wished us a happy anniversary and the wait staff, Andrew in particular, was extremely attentive and pleasant. The Chef was kind enough to prepare a special appetizer and meal for my wife, who had some dietary preferences, and she was extremely pleased with her choices. We began with cocktails, and my wife enjoyed the Spiced pear martini. The food was excellent, from appetizers, to tastings, to entree, to a wonderful souffle dessert. The ambiance was perfectly suited to a romantic dinner, and we never felt rushed. It was a beautiful evening!Special Features:
- Engagement DinnerPointmanVIPDined on 10/10/2014We had dinner at the spiced pear the night of our engagement. After putting in a note in open table about it, the wait quickly congratulated us. The service was outstanding! Our waiter was attentive and even when we were too full for dessert brought us out a small plate of desserts with "congratulations" on the plate. The only thing that could top the service was the food served. We each had an appetizer and entree, all being nicely sized as to not overstuff. I HIGHLY recommend the bone marrow starter if available. We will definitely be returning when we are in town for a special meal. It isn't cheap, but the food is worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent dining experienceMolkelDined on 10/3/2014Our entire experience at The Spiced Pear was wonderful! The Hostess was warm and friendly, the bar staff was great, the waiter, Cole was wonderful. The service was superb! The food was very good, we particularly enjoyed the prime rib entrée with horseradish mashed potatoes, and the peaches flambé prepared table side by Cole, our waiter. We would recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Newport for a wonderful night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014The service, food and ambiance were extra special. We were there to celebrate a birthday and were treated with extra special care. The food was beautifully prepared and presented. Our waiter, Cole, was thoughtful, knowledgeable and did not interupt when we were deep in conversation. We had a wonderful time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiting for a WhileBonsbieDined on 9/21/2014I had been to Spiced Pear two times in the past and was waiting to go back to experience the beautiful ocean views over the Newport cliff walk and to enjoy the wonderful ambiance. The food put out was wonderfully aromatic and flavorful and the service impeccable. I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fussy and overpricedJeffDined on 9/20/2014I knew it was a place for special occasions or to treat oneself. Unfortunately, I've had better meals and better overall experiences for half the price. It is a lovely set of rooms in a beautiful setting.Special Features:
- Very goodFancyDi9NDined on 9/19/2014I personally had a great time the service was excellent and the food was exquisite. Very fancy to eat at and it is a different way to eat dinner, dressing up is a must and you feel high class when being waited on by the waitersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not impressedcbf21Dined on 9/6/2014just ok. Our dinner arrived cold and when redelivered to us it was the same asparagus that I had cut! potatoes were still cold but the steak was good. Not impressed.Special Features:
- Elegant, Classy, DelightfulBirdbrainDined on 9/5/2014Went to Spiced Pear for a special celebration and it did not disappoint. Everything from the service, the view and, of course, the food is first class. They really try hard to give you a great experience. This was our first time there but not our last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make it specialOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/31/2014Save this restaurant for a special occasion. Service is wonderful. Never felt rushed. 2.5 hr meal flew by! We felt like the staff was there just to keep us happy.Special Features:
- A1mattyfDined on 8/30/2014Amazing place we will be back ,the staff ,the food ,the scenery all top shelf. The Chandler is one of Rhode Islands best in Rhode Island best city Newport . Thanx againSpecial Features:
- A Foodies "Fantastic Fantasy"Foodster4hireDined on 8/30/2014Just reading the menu makes your mouth water. Beautiful view looking over Cliff Walk this place has food with craftsmanship and dedication. The plates perfectly portioned filled with aroma and tickles every sense of your taste buds. Lets not forget about the waitstaff that absolutely takes service to the next level. I was impressed that Spiced Pearl excelled in taste and presentation. I had the sirloin cooked to perfection and so juicy and so flavorful! To end my meal I went for the chocolate souffle' although you order it 20 minutes in advanced, it was so good!! I would have waited another hour for it. I've made this place number one restaurant I have ever ate in my life.Special Features:
- Great Food & Great ViewTbrandy78Dined on 8/29/2014We loved The Spiced Pear! The restaurant had character, great food, great view, & outstanding service. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. We definitely will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They had me at hello...BIAMNDined on 8/29/2014Simply amazing restaurant, with a very helpful and knowledgeable staff. The atmosphere and views are equally as attractive, complemented with a full bar and even patio seating. Do yourself a favor and go...You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An experience not to be missedNewportFan1Dined on 8/27/2014The ambiance, food, attention to service and the diner's comfort are paramount. The view from the restaurant, which is at the beginning of the Cliff Walk is breathtaking. The servers are well versed in the menu selections, and are able to answer inquiries regarding both food and wine. The Spiced Pear was recommended by a friend who had also stayed at the Hotel. Both were an experience not be missed during a Newport visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Atmosphere!DesignerDined on 8/17/2014My husband and I went here for our 2 year wedding anniversary, we were in the area for a family wedding and had decided to stay. The food was wonderful and so was the wine! We sat near the kitchen, it was fun to watch the chef staff cook!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of the linegngalDined on 8/17/2014Excellent special occasion restaurant. We had an amazing table overlooking the shore. Service was impeccable. Delicious and memorable.Special Features:
- Lovely settingcdlaVIPDined on 8/17/2014The food was inventive and service was very good. The dining room was nice but not noteworthy. There is an outdoor porch that has a beautiful view and a more casual menu. It was unavailable because of a special event, but in the future, we would gladly give up a fancy meal to have that setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for our anniversaryCulinary1234Dined on 8/11/2014Over the top friendly, and accommodating. Outstanding food and service. The setting is like being in Portafino. The waiter was friendly, and attentive. The hostess was amazing. Overall one of the best dining experiences EVER!Special Features:
- Delightful Dinig2Dine4Dined on 8/10/2014We were looking for somewhere special for our anniversary. We love the Newport area and had heard about Spiced Pear. It met, then exceeded our expectations. We decided to do the tasting menu. Each course was amazing, in taste and in presentation. Our server, Andrew, was outstanding. He was knowledgeable, helpful, courteous, knew when to be there and when to leave us alone. And the venue is beautiful, overlooking the ocean. It is pricey, but for a special occasion, I cannot recommend it enough.Special Features:
- Everything was wonderfulskysthelimitDined on 8/7/2014Setting is in a gorgeous inn by the sea with views of the ocean and beach. Food was absolutely delicious, started with lobster bisque and gazpacho; then bison steak and a regular steak with fresh veggies, warm sourdough bread, fantastic cocktails and supurb service. Everything was first class and timing of courses perfectly done, we spent nearly 3 hrs at dinner and it was a treat for sure. Husbands birthday, had raspberry souffle with choc sauce for desert, best tasting souffle I've ever had. All in all, it was a wonderful birthday dinner, with attentive service, delicious food and a perfect setting. Can't wait to return. We had a memorable evening at a first class inn with first class service. Thumbs up all the way...Special Features:
- AmazingLouleeDined on 8/4/2014We had the 7 course meal. Everything was perfect. Delicious food, excellent service, can't complain about a single thing. The souffles were to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exquisite!WelovefoodDined on 8/2/2014Delicious food, delicious presentation, wonderful service in a beautiful setting. perfect for every special occassion!Special Features: