The Spiced Pear
117 Memorial Boulevard
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
The Spiced Pear
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thechanler.com/dining
- Phone: 4018472244
- Hours of Operation:
The Spiced Pear opens daily for dinner from 5:30pm - 9:30pm. The Spiced Pear dinner menu is available in our Main dinning room only.
Dinner reservations are recommended.
Lunch is served in our Veranda Sunroom daily from 12pm to 3pm.
Al fresco dining, daily from noon to close on the Cliff Walk Terrace serving our lighter fare menu (weather permitting, call for availability)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Continental, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Thomas Duffy
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: John Winthrop Room - Provides seating for up to 8 guests. The entire restaurant can be contracted for private parties and weddings.
- Private Party Contact: Kate Wood (401)847-2244 x
- Entertainment: Fireside Jazz with Dick Lupino and his musicians, every Friday night from 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM.
- Special Events: Live Jazz on Friday nights, Romance Dinner Packages, Chef's table, private dinners,
A word from The Spiced Pear
Welcome to The Spiced Pear Restaurant offering the very best in Newport fine dining. We use only the freshest seasonal ingredients from New England and abroad. Enjoy fine dining in a beautiful oceanfront setting. The Spiced Pear Restaurant located in The Chanler at Cliff Walk is a Newport treasure waiting to be discovered! The best of Newport awaits you with endless cliff-side Atlantic views, romantic atmosphere and the highest quality service. The spiced pear dinner menu is served in our main dining room only.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Spiced Pear - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
The Spiced Pear reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (57)romantic (56)special occasion (54)fit for foodies (33)great for outdoor dining (29)notable wine list (28)neighborhood gem (13)good for groups (5)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- not impressedcbf21Dined on 9/6/2014just ok. Our dinner arrived cold and when redelivered to us it was the same asparagus that I had cut! potatoes were still cold but the steak was good. Not impressed.Special Features:
- Elegant, Classy, DelightfulBirdbrainDined on 9/5/2014Went to Spiced Pear for a special celebration and it did not disappoint. Everything from the service, the view and, of course, the food is first class. They really try hard to give you a great experience. This was our first time there but not our last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make it specialOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/31/2014Save this restaurant for a special occasion. Service is wonderful. Never felt rushed. 2.5 hr meal flew by! We felt like the staff was there just to keep us happy.Special Features:
- A1mattyfDined on 8/30/2014Amazing place we will be back ,the staff ,the food ,the scenery all top shelf. The Chandler is one of Rhode Islands best in Rhode Island best city Newport . Thanx againSpecial Features:
- A Foodies "Fantastic Fantasy"Foodster4hireDined on 8/30/2014Just reading the menu makes your mouth water. Beautiful view looking over Cliff Walk this place has food with craftsmanship and dedication. The plates perfectly portioned filled with aroma and tickles every sense of your taste buds. Lets not forget about the waitstaff that absolutely takes service to the next level. I was impressed that Spiced Pearl excelled in taste and presentation. I had the sirloin cooked to perfection and so juicy and so flavorful! To end my meal I went for the chocolate souffle' although you order it 20 minutes in advanced, it was so good!! I would have waited another hour for it. I've made this place number one restaurant I have ever ate in my life.Special Features:
- Great Food & Great ViewTbrandy78Dined on 8/29/2014We loved The Spiced Pear! The restaurant had character, great food, great view, & outstanding service. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. We definitely will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They had me at hello...BIAMNDined on 8/29/2014Simply amazing restaurant, with a very helpful and knowledgeable staff. The atmosphere and views are equally as attractive, complemented with a full bar and even patio seating. Do yourself a favor and go...You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An experience not to be missedNewportFan1Dined on 8/27/2014The ambiance, food, attention to service and the diner's comfort are paramount. The view from the restaurant, which is at the beginning of the Cliff Walk is breathtaking. The servers are well versed in the menu selections, and are able to answer inquiries regarding both food and wine. The Spiced Pear was recommended by a friend who had also stayed at the Hotel. Both were an experience not be missed during a Newport visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Atmosphere!DesignerDined on 8/17/2014My husband and I went here for our 2 year wedding anniversary, we were in the area for a family wedding and had decided to stay. The food was wonderful and so was the wine! We sat near the kitchen, it was fun to watch the chef staff cook!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of the linegngalDined on 8/17/2014Excellent special occasion restaurant. We had an amazing table overlooking the shore. Service was impeccable. Delicious and memorable.Special Features:
- Lovely settingcdlaVIPDined on 8/17/2014The food was inventive and service was very good. The dining room was nice but not noteworthy. There is an outdoor porch that has a beautiful view and a more casual menu. It was unavailable because of a special event, but in the future, we would gladly give up a fancy meal to have that setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for our anniversaryCulinary1234Dined on 8/11/2014Over the top friendly, and accommodating. Outstanding food and service. The setting is like being in Portafino. The waiter was friendly, and attentive. The hostess was amazing. Overall one of the best dining experiences EVER!Special Features:
- Delightful Dinig2Dine4Dined on 8/10/2014We were looking for somewhere special for our anniversary. We love the Newport area and had heard about Spiced Pear. It met, then exceeded our expectations. We decided to do the tasting menu. Each course was amazing, in taste and in presentation. Our server, Andrew, was outstanding. He was knowledgeable, helpful, courteous, knew when to be there and when to leave us alone. And the venue is beautiful, overlooking the ocean. It is pricey, but for a special occasion, I cannot recommend it enough.Special Features:
- Everything was wonderfulskysthelimitDined on 8/7/2014Setting is in a gorgeous inn by the sea with views of the ocean and beach. Food was absolutely delicious, started with lobster bisque and gazpacho; then bison steak and a regular steak with fresh veggies, warm sourdough bread, fantastic cocktails and supurb service. Everything was first class and timing of courses perfectly done, we spent nearly 3 hrs at dinner and it was a treat for sure. Husbands birthday, had raspberry souffle with choc sauce for desert, best tasting souffle I've ever had. All in all, it was a wonderful birthday dinner, with attentive service, delicious food and a perfect setting. Can't wait to return. We had a memorable evening at a first class inn with first class service. Thumbs up all the way...Special Features:
- exquisite!WelovefoodDined on 8/2/2014Delicious food, delicious presentation, wonderful service in a beautiful setting. perfect for every special occassion!Special Features:
- Doesn't disappointlivetoeatVIPDined on 8/2/2014We enjoy dining at the Spiced Pear. The food is wonderful and the service is always spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Restaurant is located at the top of a cliff in an old mansion ..the grounds and renovated house are very elegant . Valet parking is available as you pull up to the stately front entrance . Waiters are dressed in black suits and everything about the place oozes elegance .. Food was very good and desserts quite rich . Beautiful outdoor dining area but more casual ...if in Newport and looking for a special place for a special occasion ...look no furtherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing views, food and service!KGrantDined on 7/30/2014Unbelievably romantic and special location. From sweeping views of the ocean in an elegant setting, the ambience could not be improved upon. The chef's tasting with wine pairing was fantastic. Surprise after wonderful surprise. Teddy, our server was kind, attentive and sweet. The hostess was extremely attentive to my instructions and planned a flawless night. What a lovely 20th anniversary evening!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/30/2014It was a special occasion and the restaurant personnel made it even more so. Hostess asked if it was a special occasion and thereafter every employee we came in contact with greeted us by name and said Happy Anniversary. The food was wonderful and beautifully presented. The bison came as ordered - very very rare. Recommend for good food and a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- The finest Newport has to offerDaMackerDined on 7/29/2014What can you say about the Spiced Pear? It's one of the top restaurants in Rhode Island and it never disappoints. The waiters are in tuxedos. They are attentive and professional. The ambiance makes you feel like you are dining in the elegance of the gilded age. The food is always meticulously prepared and presented and exceptionally tasty. This is a great place to go to celebrate a big event like an anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional food, service, viewMADDDined on 7/22/2014This was an exceptional dining experience, one that we went out of our way to visit for a 2nd time 2 years later. It didn't disappoint. Our waiter Cole was attentive and knowledgeable. Food and presentation was wonderful. Quiet, scenic ambience. (Open Table sent a reservation reminder 24 hours late!!) Luckily we didn't forget.Special Features:
- SpectacularElprofesorDined on 7/20/2014The Spiced Pear location, food, staff and atmosphere were spectacular. On a teacher's salary, I could not eat here frequently. However, for special occasions, I would more than recommend it. I had done the cliff walk experience on more than one occasion and had noticed the house/space/venue at the end of the cliff walk. It was fairly impressive from that point of view/perspective. However, being on the property and restaurant and looking out upon the grounds and the view of the ocean from that view/perspective was awesome. I was celebrating my then girlfriend's birthday at the Spiced Pear. Ultimately, we were celebrating an engagement, as I proposed to her. I believe we created an everlasting memory. Thank you Spiced Pear!...Special Features:
- beautiful diningeatshealthyDined on 7/19/2014Enjoyed a delicious Saturday night dinner w/ husband and friends at Spiced Pear. We arrived a little early so we sat around the (charcoal) fire pit- no smoke on us- and savored the beautiful panoramic view. The hostess and waiters were so pleasant and attentive, lovely elegant dining room, and delicious and beautifully prepared food. Also, on a previous occasion we enjoyed dining in the "sunroom" for a later small meal menu...delicious choices also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful place yo eat.LuxuryRatVIPDined on 7/17/2014The food is truly unique and high cuisine. Please be prepared to spend money. 4 people, 4 appetizers, 4 dinners, 6 glasses of wine, 4 desserts. Grand total $500.00. Well worth it. The restaurant is gorgeous, as is the view looking over the ocean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, as always .CarolyogaDined on 7/16/2014this is the place to go where you want to feel special.Special Features:
- Excellent!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014One of the best in Newport, RI, New England & anywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and food!NewportNews1Dined on 7/14/2014The atmosphere was wonderful absolutely what I thought it would be. The food was outstanding and the service from the time we step out of the car to when we went back into the car was outstanding. The bar tender was excellent , our waiter was one of the best I have ever had and the valet was superb at timing, he notice when we were leaving and had the car waiting with doors open. Highly recommend the Spiced Pear at the Chanler!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding meal and serviceCoutureBellaDined on 7/11/20143 long-time friends celebrated a birthday dinner here Fri., 7/11 and had the most amazing time, special treatment, table with great view as requested, and kudos to the Chef as he sent amuse bouche to our table to begin, then sent over a special birthday plate of dessert for all of us to share. The weather and "super" moon were breathtaking outside as well so after dinner drinks outside ended our evening perfectly. Thank you! E. Couture & CompanySpecial Features:
- SkyblueDined on 7/10/2014Outstanding dinner, impeccable service, and an uncomparable view !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Meal/ Awful Coffee!!!CoffeesnobDined on 7/8/2014A wonderful dining experience. The food was amazing. Our waiter, Andrew was exceptional! My only complaint would be the lousy coffee they serve. After a scrumptious meal, I look forward to a good cup of coffee with my dessert. I find it hard to believe that a restaurant of this high quality would stoop to serving "cruise ship" coffee, ( made from coffee extract- not from a coffee bean!!!) How disappointing, after such a great dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Spice of Life!Just1RhodeDined on 7/4/2014We make it a point to go to the Spiced Pear for our anniversary every year. The view is so pretty. The service exceptional. The food is dining at it's finest. We especially love the open kitchen! When in Newport make it a point to make a reservation. Even the lobby is beautiful!!Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2014A very special dining experience in such a lovely town. Food was outstanding and beautifully presented. Most memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected a bit moreOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/3/2014The atmosphere and service were wonderful ... but we went in hoping for "White Barn" quality creative dishes and this left our palates a bit disappointed. We had the only (!) lobster dish (clambake mix) and the sirloin entrees. OK but lacking in distinctive flavors. The starters (crab legs and gazpacho) were better but the crab legs were too spicy for my fiance's taste. They should ask for a heat preference on that dish. The Cliff Walk view and service were wonderful so we may go back...but the menu and food quality need to keep pace with the high expectations set by the locale.Special Features:
- Elegant food, beautiful sceneryChachaDined on 7/1/2014Beautiful scenery at the beginning of the life Walk. It was nicety see locales on the trail, the overlook of the beach and the fine dining made this a great night. For and drinks were perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurent in NewportWineLoverVIPDined on 6/29/2014Great views, very romantic, good food and wine. The service was very personable and attentive. Loved the New England Lobster fest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyWorldgrazerVIPDined on 6/29/2014But not full of itself. Just excellent, top rate food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in NewportWineLoverVIPDined on 6/25/2014We enjoyed the views and ambiance at Spiced Pear. Loved the Lobster Bake, but overall the food was not very creative. Good wines though! Best restaurant in Newport, but that mainly reflects the lack of other good restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- June 14, 2014OccasionaldinerDined on 6/14/2014Free valet parking, the valet staff was very nice. It was very quiet, probably only 6-8 other dinners in the restaurant. Nice décor, seated in a small room that looked out over the beach with 6 tables, 2 chairs each. Tables too large for intimate 2 person dinner. Service, while good, was not the greatest. Nothing I can really put my finger on, just not crisp, clean, or polished that one might expect from this type of restaurant (compare to Ocean House RI, or Mayflower Inn, CT). Fish was overdone, excellent soufflé. Probably won't go back. Not exactly what we were expecting for a 30 Anniversary Dinner.
- Outstanding Eating ExperienceButterballDined on 6/11/2014Found the atmosphere very soothing. Waiters were very good to meeting your needs. Food was outstanding, best I have tasted this year. Would easily reserve and evening for family or friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal!AquidneckloveDined on 6/10/2014Perfect anniversary destination. This was a special occasion and it was handled extremely well by all staff from Valet parking to the attending waiter staff. The Romantic ambiance is perfect. We live in the area and plan to use the Spiced Pear more often. The bartender even knew how to mix a Sidecar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.