The Spiced Pear
117 Memorial Boulevard
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
The Spiced Pear
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thechanler.com/dining
- Phone: (401) 847-2244
- Hours of Operation:
The Spiced Pear opens daily for dinner from 5:30pm - 9:30pm. The Spiced Pear dinner menu is available in our Main dinning room only.
Dinner reservations are recommended.
Lunch is served in our Veranda Sunroom daily from 12pm to 3pm.
Al fresco dining, daily from noon to close on the Cliff Walk Terrace serving our lighter fare menu (weather permitting, call for availability)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Continental, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Thomas Duffy
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: John Winthrop Room - Provides seating for up to 8 guests. The entire restaurant can be contracted for private parties and weddings.
- Private Party Contact: Kate Wood (401)847-2244 x
- Entertainment: Fireside Jazz with Dick Lupino and his musicians, every Friday night from 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM.
- Special Events: Live Jazz on Friday nights, Romance Dinner Packages, Chef's table, private dinners,
A word from The Spiced Pear
Welcome to The Spiced Pear Restaurant offering the very best in Newport fine dining. We use only the freshest seasonal ingredients from New England and abroad. Enjoy fine dining in a beautiful oceanfront setting. The Spiced Pear Restaurant located in The Chanler at Cliff Walk is a Newport treasure waiting to be discovered! The best of Newport awaits you with endless cliff-side Atlantic views, romantic atmosphere and the highest quality service. The spiced pear dinner menu is served in our main dining room only.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Spiced Pear - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
The Spiced Pear reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (62)romantic (58)scenic view (55)fit for foodies (40)notable wine list (28)great for outdoor dining (21)neighborhood gem (10)great for lunch (5)good for groups (4)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Fantastic meal with a viewLive2EatDined on 4/6/2014Amazing restaurant week meal. Loved the creativity of the menu. Service was excellent - friendly, kind and informative. Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service,meal andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/6/2014Excellent service,meal and atmosphere. The staff was very friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Picture perfectHollyDined on 4/4/2014The evening was perfect! The ambiance was perfect, as usual, never disappointed. The Alaskan halibut was unbelievable and the tenderloin was cooked to perfection, it melted in your mouth. Oysters looked good but I don't eat raw shellfish, lobster bisque had plenty of lobster, such a treat. The perfect ending was the soufflé, it's a must have! I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedss777Dined on 3/29/2014This is a beautiful restaurant in a beautiful hotel. I will start by saying, the service here is impeccable, our server was excellent!The ambience would be wonderful, IF it didn't share space with a very (that night any how) very, noisy bar area. If it was not for the bar scene, it would be a very quiet, romantic restaurant. The kitchen is as beautiful as the restaurant. I wish I could say the food is over the top, it's not. The description of the food was far better than the taste of the food. I am a foodie and I was not impressed. Perhaps during warmer months, and on the beautiful veranda, overlooking the ocean, breakfast or lunch would be very enjoyable.Special Features:
- Back AgainJuelvaDined on 3/15/2014Love this restaurant and the hotel where it is located. Had the same waiter as we had last year and he is wonderful. There was a table next to us that was a little noisy and when we left to go to the bar for an after dinner drink, the waiter came by to tell us that the restaurant manager was buying our drinks for the inconvenience of the noise during dinner. A very thoughtful gesture. Will go back any time I get to Newport.Special Features:
- Spiced Pear Newport RIAlongabardDined on 3/1/2014This was the best restaurant experience I have enjoyed to date. The food was amazing, the staff was fantastic, and the entire facility was spotless. I cannot think of a single recommendation for improvement. My wife and I went there for our first wedding anniversary dinner. We both got the 6 course menu. I had mine with the wine pairing, my wife had hers without. I am looking forward to the next time when I try the nine course with wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014The Spiced Pear was recommended to us by a couple who own an antique store in New Port. When we told them we were only there for one evening they told us we should definitely dine at the Spiced Pear. We are so glad we did, the restaurant was exactly what we were looking for. Excellent atmosphere, staff, food and drinks! Would dine at the Spiced Pear again!Special Features:
- Newport EscapeMontLife1289VIPDined on 2/22/2014One of the finest dining experiences you can expect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snowy ValentinePatriciaDined on 2/15/2014Our reservations were early which was fortunate since we departed in near blizzard conditions. One outstanding quality of dining there is the eagerness to please of every employee from the valet parkers to the bus boys. We had oysters, perfectly chilled, fresh and delicious and lamb chops, extraordinarily tender and tasty cooked medium-rare just as we requested. We each had a half bottle of wine from their extensive wine list. They have their own spiced pear champagne, served by the glass, a lovely aperitif.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining Experience!MurphygDined on 2/14/2014Had Valentine's Day dinner here and everything was outstanding. We opted for the five course tasting menu, which the chef allowed a special substitution. Everything was wonderful and we certainly cleaned our plates. The manager helped us pick out a fantastic wine which accompanied the food quite nicely. Only complaint is that the music was a little loud, but it did not distract from an outstanding evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doing things rightfoodloverDined on 2/14/2014. The service is professional and friendly. The food is imaginative and superbly executed. The bar and wine service are top notch. The sum of all the small details that are done properly come together to make for a fine dining experience. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone that enjoys good food, properly prepared and served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day 2014GSantosDined on 2/14/2014After reading all the excellent reviews online, I decided to surprise my girlfriend with reservations to this Newport gem for Valentine's Day. 5:45 reservations had me a bit worried but it worked out since we were among some of the first patrons there on this Friday with excellent seating overlooking the beach and beautiful sunset. The service and food were excellent. Our waiter was even nice enough to take our picture to remember the evening. Highly recommend the desserts - table side flambe. The bar area is small but has some seating in the surrounding area - perfect for a nightcap. The ambiance is upscale and definitely worth the trip to Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, food okayjackDined on 2/13/2014The Spiced Pear is a beautiful restaurant, but it sets an expectation that the food will also be very special. It's not. It's okay but it doesn't rise to the level of a great meal. Still a nice experience, but with better food it would be really special.Special Features:
- Over the top DiningBDdinners2VIPDined on 2/8/2014From the warming greeting at the door to after dinner drinks in the bar, Spice Pear is truly a memorable experience. The servers have detailed knowledge about each dish and its preparation as well as the extinsive wine list. Each dish is prepared and presented with great care and attention to detail. An excellent place for special celebrations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely dinner spotGirlsdinnerDined on 1/25/2014can't beat the location/view. food was wonderful, but perhaps a bit pricey. Overall a lovely experience. We also ate in the bar the night before and had one of the best burgers of our lives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food; poor table placementkarenDined on 12/31/2013I made this reservation 2 weeks in advance and was told there were not that many reservations yet for New Years Eve dinner at 6:30pm When we arrived we were told the table was not ready yet - there were multiple tables set but because our son was with us (who is a 24 yr old law student) we believe they set a table for us by the kitchen which was noisy and disappointing. Many of the other tables remained empty during our meal. The food was wonderful and the waiter and service was excellent. I was not happy with our table location and the noise from the kitchen, however. We came from CT to go here for New Years Eve and expected a better table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best way to bring in New YearsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013Can't say enough. We had a wonderful evening along with food, service and atmosphere. Come here a lot and will continue too.Special Features:
- This evening at the spicedlovenewportDined on 12/21/2013This evening at the spiced pear was not quite what my wife and I are accustom. We frequent the Spiced Pear many times a year especially when we are in newport. Everything was fantastic with the service and ambience, however the food was not what we were expecting. Usually the food far exceeds our expectations with flawless food preparation and flavors. On this occasion the food was not exceptional. One example: Ordered medium rare buffalo steak, and received portions overcooked and dry. We determined the outcome was due to a late seating, which was at 8:30pm before Christmas. On a better note, the Expresso Souffle dessert was flawless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special placenptlvrDined on 12/7/2013Old world elegance. Beautiful and delicious dining. Romantic. Comfortable. The perfect location for a special night. Our compliments to the chef. Staff should not be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of our favoriteslivetoeatVIPDined on 12/7/2013You can't go wrong with the Spiced Pear. The atmosphere and service are top notch. We did the chefs tasting this time and it was wonderful. The flavors and textures were divine. They know how to make a souffle. It nice to have a drink at the bar before dinner. My husband says they make an awesome Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing eveningVinoloverDined on 11/23/2013This was not our first time at the Spiced Pear, and it will not be our last. From the moment you drive up, the staff is friendly, accommodating, and pleasant. The servers are very knowledgeable and are quick to please. They work in teams and there is always someone nearby to help. You can have either ala cart or the Chef's Tasting Menu with wine pairings. We have done both and they have been fabulous. The ambience if very intimate and romantic. We highly recommend the Spice Pear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Dining ExperienceExcellentDined on 11/23/2013The Spiced Pear is located right on Memorial Boulevard in Newport and sits right at the entrance to the Cliffwalk. By virtue of this location you have beautiful views of First Beach. The food there, even though on the pricey side, is exceptional. The wait staff knows their jobs well and were attentive without being intrusive. I would highly recommend this for a special dining experience on a special occasion.Special Features:
- Spiced PearLiza27VIPDined on 11/16/2013Beautiful location, beautiful dining room, great, attentive & friendly service, BUT was expecting the food to be outstanding & it wasn't - it was good, but definitely not great.Special Features:
- Perfect for a Romantic DInnerOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 11/10/2013My boyfriend and I dined here during Restaurant Week Fall 2013, and we had a great dinner. The food was delicious and the restaurant was lovely. We left feeling satisfied, but not over-stuffed. It was a romantic getaway weekend for us, so this was the perfect place for dinner. We could not see the view though, as it was very dark out. I imagine this would be lovely for brunch or lunch when the sun was shining.Special Features:
- NEVER DISAPPOINTSJoJoDined on 11/10/2013We have eaten several times at the Spiced Pear, and each time is better than the last. We always visit during restaurant week, and this week was no exception. The food was fabulous and the service top notch. The waitstaff always remembers us, and we are always warmly greeted. We started by ordering a bottle of reasonably priced lovely white wine. My dining companion and I both had the potato leek soup, which was creamy and delicious, followed by the wonderfully generous shrimp entree with white cheddar polenta and organic vegetables. For dessert, I had the bread pudding w/vanilla bean ice cream on a delicious anglaise, and my companion had the profiterole trio w/chocolate mousse and ice cream. We left stuffed, happy and satisfied!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulMrsRobiDined on 11/10/2013Everything about our experience was wonderful will have dinner there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very generous with their portionsMaxFish10Dined on 11/10/2013Very generous with their portions during restaurant week in Newport. Great presentation!Special Features:
- Newport Restautrant WeekCaretinaDined on 11/9/2013Great dinner at the Spiced Pear on Saturday evening. Appreciated the fact that even though we all chose from the reduced price menu of Newport Restautrant Week. The food, service and ambiance were still of the high standards that you would come to expect at any other time of the year that you would dine at The Chandler at Cliff Walk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spiced Pear DelightsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/8/2013Wonderful view, gourmet fresh local dishes and Cole as our fabulous waiter made for a very memorable evening. The burgundy escargot, mussels in lobster broth, veal cheek ravioli and the duck breast well all terrific! Friday evening jazz in the bar adds to the ambiance through the restaurant. Cole is a true professional wait-staff / server and ranks with the best of those in European Relais et Chateau restaurants.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2013We had a wonderful dinner as always when we dine here. Cole is a fantastic waiter and always remembers us and is ever so kind.Special Features:
- Haughty WaiterBrianDined on 11/7/2013My wife and I decided to select items off the price fix portion of the menu because those selections appealed to us more than the regular menu. After ordering, there was a marked attitutude difference from our waiter and we received limited attention compared to the diners surrounding us. Disappointing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth itEsprit41376Dined on 11/6/2013A memorable food experience but not over-the-top because we came during restaurant week :).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An AH-mazing date nightEnjoyGoodFoodDined on 11/3/2013We were able to squeeze in from a last minute cancelled reservation that popped up on opentable.com. Our friends told us about their martinis and I have never had a better drink before in my life. I got the French Pear martini and my husband had the Spiced Pear martini. So delicious!! We took advantage of the restaurant week menu, which was a phenomenal deal for such a great date place. We both started off with the mussels which we both thought were very good especially with the bread that we sopped up the broth with. I ordered the statler chicken and my husband got the blank angus short rib. The chicken was moist and flavorful and the short rib was beyond tender. So yummy!! We both got the bread pudding, which was ok. We will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingwilltravel4foodDined on 11/1/2013A very beautiful scenic dining area. Tasteful live music. Many empty tables. Our service was very slow. They forgot our bread. My salad was brought out too soon and left us waiting 30 minutes for the entree. After the food came out the server immediately asked us how it was but we only had a bite. HD never checked on us so I could not tell him my vegetables were under cooked. The price of the steak entrée was exorbitant for the little amount of meat on the plate. The menu should have had a weight on the meat. We also noticed many families dining with young children. If you like to watch the kitchen in action you have a clear view to the chef.Special Features:
- Unbelievable Experience!StephDined on 10/27/2013Such a memorable experience. The food was fresh and fantastic. The ambiance was INCREDIBLE. Can't wait to go back next time I am in Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable service, friendlyDecklynDined on 10/27/2013Impeccable service, friendly accommodating. Beautiful scenery and ambiance. The food was excellently prepared. Highly recommend this beautiful restaurant.Special Features:
- Top Notch Dining!GetLADined on 10/25/2013I found this place from a top ten romantic resturant email. I have dined all over Newport and never heard of the Spiced Pear in the Hotel Chandler. To sum it up, you feel like you are dining in the princess castle eating the food of royalty. Well maybe that is over doing it a bit, but the food is all composed plates that every bite goes to well with each other. The waiters are at your beck and call, and the ambiance, if it was spring/summer would blow you away. We went in the Fall so it was a bit cold if you want to walk the grounds. The breathtaking views, of what we could see being night time and the hotel/mansion itself actually made us think about having our wedding there. Very Pricey, but what isn't at a Newport Mansion for dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnernewportDined on 10/19/2013My dinner was tasteful (shrimp and scallop) but portion very small. My husband disliked the blackfish....tasted like soysauce. Water glass not refilled. Only 1 piece of bread offered (really... for the price of the dinners to be limited to 1 piece of bread??). Seats at tables situated so that you feel like you're having dinner with couple at table across from you. Requested table closest to window with ocean view...didn't get it. Left hungry after expensive dinner. Extremely disappointed!Special Features:
- A Foodie's dreamSandyCDined on 10/17/2013We tried the tasting menu and it was heaven! From start to finish everything was perfect: atmosphere, service, wine, and of course food. I highly recommend this restaurant! If you are visiting Newport, You should plan on eating at the Spiced Pear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charm and CharacterLouieLouieVIPDined on 10/17/2013Perched above the Cliff Walk and with a water view, this restaurant is a fine choice, but there is a significant flaw that needs correction by management. The main dining room has an open kitchen and from anywhere in that room, the sound of the kitchen ventilation system was so loud that it distracted from the otherwise excellent experience. Service was excellent and we were pleased with the food. It was too cool on an October evening to sit outside but that would be a great alternative weather permitting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.