150 3rd Avenue S #110
Nashville, TN 37201Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesouthernnashville.com/
- Phone: 6157241762x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 11:00am, Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matt Farley
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: The Southern and TomKats are pleased to offer a variety of full service catering and event planning options to meet your specific needs. Whether you"re planning a private dinner for 50, or a lavish event for 500, we can customize a menu that is right for you. Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
A word from The Southern
Located on the ground floor of the Pinnacle at Symphony Place in the heart of the burgeoning SoBro district, The Southern takes its guests on a culinary journey where every entree tells a story. The traditional yet eclectic eating house features a state-of-the-art, shuck-to-order oyster bar, a real wood-fired grill, a locally grown buying strategy, deliciously tender meats and direct sourced, guaranteed fresh, sustainable seafood. The menus at the southern combine indigenous flavors with exotic ingredients and offer an authentically southern adventure with a twist. The Southern will prove soon be to be known for its genuine hospitality and unmatched eats.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Southern - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Southern reviews from OpenTable diners
642 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (355)fit for foodies (318)vibrant bar scene (270)special occasion (249)good for groups (231)great for brunch (204)great for outdoor dining (166)neighborhood gem (161)great for lunch (158)notable wine list (73)romantic (63)late-night find (52)kid-friendly (32)scenic view (29)Show More
- So so good!Kburch1Dined on 10/18/2014My husband and I, who just got married, are from just outside of Nashville. We decided that, instead of taking a trip for our honeymoon, we would like to explore Nashville and go to places we've never been before. Thus, we ended up at the Southern to finish off our "honeymoon" weekend, and we certainly weren't disappointed! The food was absolutely delicious! We got so many things and were so full when we left. We definitely felt like we got our money's worth. The service was awesome, & our food came out very quickly and efficiently. Our server answered all our questions & seemed pretty knowledgeable. Lastly, the atmosphere was fun & relaxing. Recommendation: The Zydeco. Such a good drink!! We'll definitely be returning to the Southern!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014I was looking for a romantic restaurant for an anniversary. The menu looks amazing and the prices would lead you to believe it was a high end establishment but it is a very noisy bar with TVs everywhere. If you are looking for a high end, noisy bar this is the place. The steak was good but had to be sent back because it was not cooked correctly. They got the side dish wrong which they happily fixed. My wife and I split the entree (which they charge $5 for) but all they did was bring another plate--they didn't split it so I was left wondering what the $5 charge was for. Our waiter was good and the chocolate whiskey cake was amazing.Special Features:
- Great off broadway spotEat2pleaseVIPDined on 10/17/2014Had a delicious meal this weekend. I was really impressed with the decor of the restaurant. Really nice. The place is full of energy so be prepared for noise and many of the tables are near the bar so you will have people very close to you. We love these types of places so no issues. I would say if you want a quiet spot for dinner you might consider something else. Food was fantastic. Wine list is small but well thought out.Special Features:
- YummmCarlaVIPDined on 10/17/2014LOVE the chicken fried chicken! My husband's filet was again cooked to perfection. We come here anytime we have friends visiting from out of state. Our waitress was very friendly and patient with our out of state friends when going over the menu. This is why we love The Southern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014My husband and I ate here on our last night in Nashville. Great drinks..they were super fast..attentive Waiter, Adam was his name. The filet was so tender and flavorful! The Manager even came out to check on us and introduce himself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014I went with a friend for lunch, and would recommend getting a reservation so you don't have to wait. The restaurant was crowded and a little noisy, but not so bad that you had to yell or couldn't hear. Our waiter was great and really enjoyed his job. He gave good recommendations and made the dining experience fun. We only ordered entrees, the barbecuban was delicious and even more so the shrimp BLT was incredible (minus struggling to keep it from falling apart). I've been to the southern for breakfast which was amazing and lunch proved to be tasty as well. I'd recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!cheeselove89Dined on 10/14/2014The Southern was recommended by a few locals as a great place to bring the group I was visiting Nashville with for business. It didn't disappoint. I had the filet mignon and it was delicious and cooked just how I wanted it. The others in my party were just as pleased!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SmoothScientist3Dined on 10/14/2014Really excellent service and food here. The noise level did not impact us because we sat at a booth so not only did we have some privacy but we got to view the whole restaurant environment and everyone was having a great time! Could tell it was a winner once we walked in.Special Features:
- Great date night!TrysomethingnewDined on 10/13/2014Food was great...and full of surprising delight. Service at the table was impeccable...not as good at the bar. Make a reservation for early or late to avoid a potentially lengthy wait. Valet service was also great. It's pricey...so I would save it for special occasions, but an exceptional experience and free parking offset the $$. :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great all roundOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Layout is unique but really cool. But the food is what you come here for. High quality, flavorful southern cooking. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!FoodieDined on 10/12/2014The steaks were cooked to preference and the appetizers our server recommended were delicious! Wine selections were broad. Our server was very attentive and friendly. The only downside is that it is very loud and very difficult to have a conversation without shouting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014PERFECT in every way!! If you've never tried shrimp and grits, this is the place to partake! Will definitely be back! The strawberry-rhubarb shortcake was outstanding!Special Features:
- Consistently wonderful!ITgirl615Dined on 10/12/2014I have been to the Southern on several occasions in the last year and have been pleased by the experience every time. This Sunday, I decided to try the brunch. My boyfriend had the steak and biscuit benedict and I tried the fried egg sandwich. Both dishes were delicious and served very promptly. I am impressed that a restaurant that is that busy, consistently produces such high quality food so expeditiously. Nice job!Special Features:
- Food Good But Seating A DRAGLocalyocalDined on 10/11/2014Our party of four had fantastic food and drinks - great "select" your steaks and oysters. Our wait staff was great, the drinks fantastic. But I ABSOLUTELY FIND THE INITIAL MEETING AT THE HOSTESS STATION A DRAG. THEY ARE RUDE AND IGNORED OUR OPEN TABLE REQUEST. We had a 745 reservation and the place was not jammed as it often is on a Saturday night. Not the first time.Special Features:
- Great Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014All of the food was excellent. Robbie is a fantastic waiter as well. We had a great experience all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!Foodlover31Dined on 10/11/2014We went for brunch with a large group. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mtjulietdinnerDined on 10/10/2014My first visit was great. I would recommend a booth if you want to carry on a conversation. Food was excellent, service was great and our server was terrific I would recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best restaurants in NSH.PredFanDined on 10/9/2014This is a great place to come and eat a good dinner with great food before any event in downtown Nashville whether it's the Titans, the predators or a concert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceworththedriveDined on 10/8/2014Our server was attentive and helpful in making menu decisions. Our food was served in a timely manner and was delicious. The atmosphere was lively and noisy. I will probably ask for a table in a quieter location next time, if there is one available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service...TommyDined on 10/8/2014Overall this restaurant was magnificent! My one and only concern is the service... I could've just had a waiter having a bad night, but the only times he came to our table was to take our order and then to give us our check. Everyone else's servers seemed to have been working out great though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful nightZaflartDined on 10/8/2014Sometimes you just need a good martini and a great hunk of beef. I know there are a lot of steakhouses in town now, but The Southern seems to be our go to place when we have friends visiting from out of town. And we always steer them toward a dish called "The Belle". An expertly prepared filet of beef sitting atop creamy potatoes, with asparagus, onion straws, and then drizzled in some type of delicious pan reduction sauce. With "The Belle" and a good martini you can't really go wrong. But if you like the choice of a wide selection of oysters, then this is the place for you too. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodccie7413Dined on 10/7/2014Good food and drinks, service was excellent. I will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Negative reviews are misleading!MehitabelVIPDined on 10/6/2014Don't pay any attention to the negative reviews. This place is wonderful. I didn't expect much when we booked but both of my companions had been there before for lunch and knew that it was great. I don't know what the other reviewers are talking about - everything was top notch.Special Features:
- Loved it!NashvilleFoodieDined on 10/6/2014I came here for my birthday with a group of 5 and it was awesome! The steak biscuits and deviled eggs were great starters. I had the pork chop for dinner which was awesome but also had a taste of the fish and grits and that was also great! I'll be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern CharmtryingnewplacesDined on 10/6/2014This was a great place. We were from out of town and loved this place. Great food though a little pricey but worth the money. Great for dinner.Special Features:
- Great!!!Sessa611Dined on 10/5/2014Food was amazing.... Filet was cooked to perfection! Whiskey chocolate cake with Jenny's ice cream were exquisite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014The food is amazing! You can't beat the chicken and waffles or T for Tennessee! Yumm!!! Great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ChoiceGoodfoodplsDined on 10/5/2014Chose this restaurant for Sunday brunch based on numerous reviews including Triip Advisor. Food was very good. Location is convenient but not on one of the "rowdy" blocks. There is plenty of room at the bar and a nice outdoor patio along the sidewalk. We had a comfortable booth. Happy to recommend on all counts.Special Features:
- CosetteDined on 10/5/2014This is our favorite place to eat before Titans football games. This time we started off with a dozen PEI oysters and Bloody Marys. The oysters are always fresh and it's fun to try different ones. Then we ordered the Benedict and Fried Egg sandwich. Both were just awesome. Our waiter was attentive and had wonderful suggestions. The oyster shuckers at The Southern are the best in town. They are well educated on the different types of oysters and can describe them in great detail. It's hard to leave!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool Brunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Went here before the Titans-Browns game for brunch. Really nice greeting by the staff and sat right away with our reservation. The food was delicious and the restaurant was right across the footbridge to LP Field, really convenient. The Southern is a huge establishment with a really cool set-up and layout. I had the southern egg sandwich with fries and it was terrific.Special Features:
- We recommend it.diva1dinerDined on 10/4/2014We always enjoy our meals at The Southern. The oysters and fish dishes are always fresh and well prepared. The service is always courteous and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceFooder123Dined on 10/4/2014Made the reservation the night before and showed up 10 minutes early. Our table was ready within 5. Service was great and the food was as expected. Great! If you haven't eaten here then you must call ASAP to make a reservation. We will be back soon for a Sunday brunch. See ya there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish I lived in Nashville!BarbKVIPDined on 10/4/2014I would be at the Southern at least once a week - probably one of the best meals I have ever had - and I travel a lot - NY and Charleston - started with champagne and oysters - grilled oysters with lemon and parm cheese - so good! Filet for dinner - perfectly cooked medium - and followed up with 4 - yes 4 - flavors of Jeni's Ice Cream - the best in the country! (and there is a Jeni's in Nashville) - I go to the one in Charleston - we celebrated a birthday in our group and our server was nice enough to bring out a candle in the ice cream. Truly a fantastic place to dine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food!AfanofgoodfoodDined on 10/4/2014Four of us had four different entrees' as well as the excellent oysters for appetizers! I chose the Farm Market platter which was one of the tastiest dishes I have ever eaten! No way to duplicate the delicious seasonings and textures of the mushrooms, tomatoes, artichokes AND the hoe cake! Everyone else raved about their food as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My FAVORITE!!!!DMo69Dined on 10/4/2014The Southern has always been on of my favorite restaurants! It NEVER disappoints! The chef continually finds new and creative ways to combine flavors to create dishes that will dance on your palate! When I visit Nashville, I visit The Southern!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014My daughter's steak was great. However, mine came out overdone and not as great piece of meat the first time. Second time was great. My wife's crab cakes and salad we excellent according to her. Service was very good except the waiter was not right there at the table to check on the dinner after it was brought out by a runner. He should have been at the table sooner since he did not bring it out.Special Features:
- Saturday LunchsandyDined on 10/4/2014We suggested The Southern to meet out of town visitors. To our surprise, the menu was Brunch on Saturday, not what we were expecting. Food was okay. (onion strays were not crispy on top of burger) French fries were excellent. I had the chicken and waffles which was very good, but serving was small 1/2 of waffle. I generally never finish a whole serving while eating out and had no issue here. Had a fabulous small musical group playing in the front lobby. Our vegetarian friend had limited choices. The server had a personality like a post....did not add to the meal experience at all plus we couldn't hear him. He had no enthusiasm for his place of employment. Probably shouldn't work there.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodClassypantsDined on 10/3/2014We go to this restaurant about once a month and on special occasions. Everything is always top notch and tasty as all get out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlackwaterBlackwaterDined on 10/3/2014It was so loud that the two of us could not carry on a conversation. IF I ever had to go back I would request a table as far away from bar as possible.Special Features:
- Amazing!Ttaylor1969Dined on 10/3/2014From the service to oysters the steaks and whiskey cake everything was amazing!! It was a little noisy but we had no problem talking with our groupSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.