150 3rd Avenue S #110
Nashville, TN 37201Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesouthernnashville.com/
- Phone: 6157241762x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 11:00am, Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matt Farley
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: The Southern and TomKats are pleased to offer a variety of full service catering and event planning options to meet your specific needs. Whether you"re planning a private dinner for 50, or a lavish event for 500, we can customize a menu that is right for you. Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
A word from The Southern
Located on the ground floor of the Pinnacle at Symphony Place in the heart of the burgeoning SoBro district, The Southern takes its guests on a culinary journey where every entree tells a story. The traditional yet eclectic eating house features a state-of-the-art, shuck-to-order oyster bar, a real wood-fired grill, a locally grown buying strategy, deliciously tender meats and direct sourced, guaranteed fresh, sustainable seafood. The menus at the southern combine indigenous flavors with exotic ingredients and offer an authentically southern adventure with a twist. The Southern will prove soon be to be known for its genuine hospitality and unmatched eats.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Southern - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Southern reviews from OpenTable diners
661 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (368)fit for foodies (341)vibrant bar scene (271)special occasion (253)good for groups (250)great for brunch (205)great for outdoor dining (170)neighborhood gem (166)great for lunch (160)notable wine list (73)romantic (57)late-night find (55)kid-friendly (32)scenic view (30)Show More
- great for night on the townOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014The Southern is our usual spot before the symphony. The food and drinks are top notch. Service is always good and they are mindful of our need to make our shows on time.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014We had a company dinner with 6 attendees. The booth was very comfortable and had a very private feeling. The food was DELICIOUS. We had oysters, BBQ shrimp, and I personally had the filet! Couldn't have chosen a better restaurant and I will return.Special Features:
- Blackberries, oysters, and eggs!ValentinesFlubDined on 10/27/2014This was our fourth trip to Southern. The Blackberry mountain tea was the tastey-est drink we had, I highly recommend it! Started with a dozen oysters-Southern style if course. I don't even like oysters, and I love then here! I also tell everyone to try their Devil of an egg app, smoked deviled eggs are something to dream about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family luncheonBigRichDined on 10/27/2014Brought out of town family who are foodies. They loved the deviled eggs, the BBQ shrimp, The cuban and the steak biscuits.Special Features:
- Fine diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Great food, great service. I would absolutely return to The Southern the next time I am in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visiting NashvilleOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/26/2014Very easy to access, just a few blocks off Broadway. Menu was very broad, all entrees were very good. Enjoyed the outing on a Sunday evening after an NFL gameSpecial Features:
- Great Brunch!NashvillefoodieDined on 10/26/2014We were looking for Sunday Brunch during a Titans game, and Southern offered reservations and valet parking, so we went there. Inside was noisy, but we really enjoyed eating outside and watching the city life. Everyone in our party enjoyed their meal, and the selections were so diverse - hot chicken salad, crab cakes, chicken and waffles, and steak and biscuit benedict. Plus the chocolate dessert was really delicious - we shared! Can't wait to try the Southern for dinner - heard the fried oysters can't be beat!Special Features:
- RushedFooddocVIPDined on 10/26/2014The food was good and the service was receptive but I have never been so rushed in my life.
- Great ExperienceNicoleSVIPDined on 10/26/2014I went here for the first time for brunch when I was visiting Nashville from New York. I had made a reservation and ended up having to change it twice, but the host was unbelievably friendly and accommodating and we ended up getting a big booth in the corner, which was perfect. I had the burger for brunch, which was incredible and enormous! We also had our friend and her 1-year-old daughter join us and the ambiance and waitress were both extremely kid-friendly. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone in Nashville!Special Features:
- Amazing as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2014Every time we come here, it's always a treat. My parents were visiting from Mississippi and taking them here for brunch was a no brainer. The food came out timely, correct and delicious. Our server, Jordan, was on point and knowledgeable. In addition to our entrees, we also got oysters and they were super fresh. The Southern is always top notch.Special Features:
- Great Dinner, Fun Atmosphere...YUM!krisDined on 10/25/2014The Southern offers a modern version of southern inspired dishes, and everything we ordered was well executed & delicious. Because many items looked so good, we ordered several & just shared. A few of our favorites: crab cake appetizer (husband loved), chicken fried chicken (some of the best fried chicken we have EVER had), filet mignon entrée (tender, cooked to the perfect temperature, great presentation), bahn mi tacos (pork belly was amazing), green beans (love vegetables, and they were amazing), & the chocolate cake dessert. All the food was amazing & the atmosphere was high energy and fun. Only complaint is that our service was definitely subpar, and it looked like most other tables were receiving the same slow, inattentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A downerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/25/2014I don't like writing negative reviews, but it's the right thing to do. This was our second attempt at The Southern. The food is pretty good (not spectacular) the oysters fresh and delicious. However, that's where the positives end. The atmosphere is frenetic at the Southern. It's loud and very busy. The service is slow because the wait staff is working at a frantic pace to keep up. The hostesses provide plenty of attitude when you arrive on time for your reservation, and they don't have a table. There are plenty of better choices in Nashville. Better food - and MUCH better ambiance.
- Glad to have found this one!RiderDined on 10/25/2014We were visiting Nashville and saw this restaurant reviewed. Came with 5 others and was nervous about making this choice for everyone, but all were pleased and especially ME! The fish was the best I ever had and everyone just loved their dishes as well. Try this one----Special Features:
- The SouthernsorrheathDined on 10/25/2014This was our first time at the Southern restaurant. The service and the staff was great! The bar guy was very helpful in helping us choose a drink again as this was our first time. We are not big on red meat, so we tried the Bar Fish was not impressed. Great presentation just no flavor in the fish. We have heard that they have great steaks, should have gone with that. Will try again for special occasion. Also, it was noisier than expected more bar like. Thanks to our server Steven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedmjgirlDined on 10/25/2014Reservations were made well in advance and noted on them that is was for an anniversary. We reviewed the menu which lookes great and knew it was not an inexpensive meal. We dressed up and ended up spending a lot of money to eat in a sports bar. We had a hard time ordering because the waiter could not hear us nor could we hear him. The food was good, but we could not carry on a conversation. Could not wait to leave!
- Unique, top shelfMarkDined on 10/25/2014The setting was outstanding, the people friendly, the food was unique with great presentation. The flavors of our dishes were fabulous. It was a brunch treat for us on our visit to Nashville and would recommend to anyone visiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Love the atmosphere at The Southern! We were 30 minutes late for our reservation due to traffic, but we still seated right away by friendly hosti when we arrived. I believe our server's name was Daniel. He was very polite and accommodating even though we could tell he was very busy. Definitely a great brunch experience! Love the biscuits!Special Features:
- Amazing food and great musicOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014We were recommended to the Southern by multiple people for our Nashville visit and it did NOT disappoint! Everyone got something different and everything looked amazing. We went for brunch and my husband got the steak and eggs and he said it was exactly what he hoped it would be. My shrimp and grits were great too, finally got my husband to try the grits, and he said they were the best he's ever had and he doesnt like grits! They had a great band playing music, but with the way the space was designed, the music combined with all of the people made it very loud. Not so loud that we couldnt talk, just enough for me to notice. I wish we had seen the free valet parking sign before we paid $10 for an hour in another lot, maybe next time.Special Features:
- Never disappointsGoodeatsDined on 10/25/2014I've gone to The Southern several times now for brunch and they never disappoint. The chicken and waffles are always a favorite of mine. As soon as the food comes, conversation seems to stop because everyone is enjoying their food too much to talk. Definitely make it a priority for brunch either Saturday or Sunday morning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014I was extremely underwhelmed by the food, ambiance and service at The Southern. I will not be a return visitor.Special Features:
- Too many unknowns.....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Had no idea ice cream would come in nine separate bowls to our table; birthday person dessert was ignored till way later; coffee was not hot and waiter was not very attentive. Extremely noisy :-(Special Features:
- JackieDined on 10/24/2014Food ambiance was awesome- wait staff was super slow to bring drinks and take orders. Our waiter was not very attentive which is a shame but the good was excellent and we loved everything from the appetizers to the desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A WIDE VARIETY of ChoicesFood4theSoulDined on 10/24/2014The Southern had a wide variety of choices from seafood, pork, and beef. They had various salads and side dishes all with a southern flair. Great desserts too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazingmcgrawKCCODined on 10/23/2014This was probably the 10th time or more my and I have been to Southern and it has never disappointed. Each time we come back the food gets better and better. The staff is always friendly and helpful and like I said before the food is excellent. Keep up the great work and we will be back soon for more cocktails, oysters and foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014I had raw osters for appetizer and salmon for entree. The salmon was served on sweet potatoe grits! I live grits and sweet potatoes, but didn't even know they existed! Great dinner, great bar and wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SouthernJCx2Dined on 10/22/2014Have eaten at The Southern several times and typically it is outstanding. This time however it was just OK. We had a bone in rib eye that cost $80. Steak was tough and didn't have much flavor. For the price we paid the meal simply didn't quite measure up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2014If dining were only the food it would be 'fine' but I go to share the experience with friends and this can't happen at the Southern. I asked at the time I made the reservation (a month ahead) to have a quiet table where the six of us could talk. We were seated at a table that could have held 8-10 people in the middle of the room at the bar. Needless to say we spent a very uncomfortable hour and a half screaming at each other.Special Features:
- Good ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Good ambience and decent food for business meetingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five Stars Across the BoardOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014This was my third time dining here and it was for a special occasion on this particular night. Our server Andy was absolutely darling, efficient and thoughtful. The wine was delicious, the food was even better, and I highly recommend visiting this place anytime you're in town.Special Features:
- Fantabulous & Fave MealracheatsVIPDined on 10/19/2014While visiting Nashville for the first time we hit up many of the notable (top) restaurants, and this one was by far our favorite. The food was amazing! I had the chicken fried chicken and OMG< wow! It was soooo awesome. I felt like I could not leave the South without having this staple meal and it did not disappoint. My better half had the ribs and they were also fabulous - and ginourmous! I would definitely recommend this place to first time visitors or locals. P.S. dessert was awesome.Special Features:
- Fun night with great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014I thought this might be just another fad restaurant, but was I wrong. The Southern is completely legit. We started with sesame seed shrimp. The shrimp was perfectly cooked but needed the flavorful sauce that came along side. Deciding on the entree was a bit difficult, but I had heard their specialty was the steak, so we went with "The Belle". Fantastic!! This steak did not disappoint. I have to say it is one of the top steaks I have ever had. I don't really have anything negative to say about this place. I do suggest making reservations as the waiting area stayed full for the duration of our meal. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Phenomenal food and excellent staffNateVIPDined on 10/19/2014Great service and excellent food were served to my brunch group. Our server was polite, knowledgeable, and provided her opinion on what seafood (oysters) would be best. They had some off-menu items that we tried and the mimosas (served in a carafe) can't be beat with the fresh squeezed orange juice. Well worth the wait and highly recommend making reservations.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014Brunch menu is a little small, but everything we tried (party of 3) was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food very loudRegularFoodGuyDined on 10/18/2014The food is very good. They have an expansive menu and will be capable of satisfying almost anyone. The drawback I see is the place is beyond loud. We were placed in a "side room" where there was a bachelorette party seated in there as well. We all know how alcohol raises the decibel level. This would have made the Seattle 12th man blush. It seems Nashville has become the "go to"place for bachelorette parties so it may well be unavoidable. We were entertaining clients and needless to say, we were overwhelmed by the volume of the ladies. Hard to fault the restaurant for this but it's not the place to go on a Saturday night if you hope to carry on any conversation.Special Features:
- So so good!Kburch1Dined on 10/18/2014My husband and I, who just got married, are from just outside of Nashville. We decided that, instead of taking a trip for our honeymoon, we would like to explore Nashville and go to places we've never been before. Thus, we ended up at the Southern to finish off our "honeymoon" weekend, and we certainly weren't disappointed! The food was absolutely delicious! We got so many things and were so full when we left. We definitely felt like we got our money's worth. The service was awesome, & our food came out very quickly and efficiently. Our server answered all our questions & seemed pretty knowledgeable. Lastly, the atmosphere was fun & relaxing. Recommendation: The Zydeco. Such a good drink!! We'll definitely be returning to the Southern!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedsteakloverDined on 10/18/2014I was looking for a romantic restaurant for an anniversary. The menu looks amazing and the prices would lead you to believe it was a high end establishment but it is a very noisy bar with TVs everywhere. If you are looking for a high end, noisy bar this is the place. The steak was good but had to be sent back because it was not cooked correctly. They got the side dish wrong which they happily fixed. My wife and I split the entree (which they charge $5 for) but all they did was bring another plate--they didn't split it so I was left wondering what the $5 charge was for. Our waiter was good and the chocolate whiskey cake was amazing.Special Features:
- Perfect spot for out of town guestscre8ivdanaDined on 10/18/2014Finally dinned here for brunch on Saturday with my parents that came from out of town. This is a perfect choice to "show off" the best of Nashville dining. Service was incredibly prompt and our food arrived in what seemed like minutes. All four of us cleaned our plates completely, although my husband felt the portions were small, but all agreed incredibly delicious! They are not the standard southern portions you get at most places but the appropriate amount so you don't fall into a food coma afterwards. A live music trio played a lively set that made the ambience perfect for brunch. We were in and out in just under an hour! Where else does that happen?Special Features:
- Great off broadway spotEat2pleaseVIPDined on 10/17/2014Had a delicious meal this weekend. I was really impressed with the decor of the restaurant. Really nice. The place is full of energy so be prepared for noise and many of the tables are near the bar so you will have people very close to you. We love these types of places so no issues. I would say if you want a quiet spot for dinner you might consider something else. Food was fantastic. Wine list is small but well thought out.Special Features:
- YummmCarlaVIPDined on 10/17/2014LOVE the chicken fried chicken! My husband's filet was again cooked to perfection. We come here anytime we have friends visiting from out of state. Our waitress was very friendly and patient with our out of state friends when going over the menu. This is why we love The Southern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousMontanagirlDined on 10/16/2014My husband and I ate here on our last night in Nashville. Great drinks..they were super fast..attentive Waiter, Adam was his name. The filet was so tender and flavorful! The Manager even came out to check on us and introduce himself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.