150 3rd Avenue S #110
Nashville, TN 37201Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesouthernnashville.com/
- Phone: 6157241762x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 11:00am, Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matt Farley
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: The Southern and TomKats are pleased to offer a variety of full service catering and event planning options to meet your specific needs. Whether you"re planning a private dinner for 50, or a lavish event for 500, we can customize a menu that is right for you. Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
A word from The Southern
Located on the ground floor of the Pinnacle at Symphony Place in the heart of the burgeoning SoBro district, The Southern takes its guests on a culinary journey where every entree tells a story. The traditional yet eclectic eating house features a state-of-the-art, shuck-to-order oyster bar, a real wood-fired grill, a locally grown buying strategy, deliciously tender meats and direct sourced, guaranteed fresh, sustainable seafood. The menus at the southern combine indigenous flavors with exotic ingredients and offer an authentically southern adventure with a twist. The Southern will prove soon be to be known for its genuine hospitality and unmatched eats.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Southern - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Southern reviews from OpenTable diners
613 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (301)fit for foodies (274)vibrant bar scene (233)special occasion (218)good for groups (208)great for brunch (206)great for outdoor dining (173)great for lunch (156)neighborhood gem (149)romantic (60)notable wine list (59)late-night find (48)scenic view (32)kid-friendly (29)Show More
- DrewDined on 9/14/2014Food was awesome! I highly recommend this restaurant. Friendly staff also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014This was the perfect place to celebrate a birthday! Great ambiance and excellent food with big portions. Definitely a favorite restauarant in NashvilleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommended Gem.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014I would highly recommend this restaurant to family and friends. I tweeted it out after my experience there. Food and service were outstanding, ambiance very good, wine list was excellent. I recommend making a reservation, which I did, walk-ins will have an 45 minute to hour long wait if not. In high demand in NAshville.Special Features:
- Mixed ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014Brought my parents for their first time experience. Really appreciated the restaurant being able to seat us prior to our reservation time. Food was fantastic and delicious. Disappointed with the desert, which we usually don't order from restaurants but thought we would treat ourselves. Had a glass of wine, the glass was barely full, and they were out of my first choice, so that was disappointing. Really disappointed in our waiter, seemed we were an afterthought, not friendly, never really stopped by the table to check on us or our beverages, annoyed we ordered dinner ealry. I was embarrassed to have recommended this place for dinner based on that service and desert. But they made up for it with a great meal. Probably won't be back.Special Features:
- Go for the Southern OystersSlyp73Dined on 9/14/2014We went for brunch this past Sunday. The Southern Oysters were the best I have had. My 13yr old ate 1/2 of the dozen by himself. My 11yr old loved the pancakes. The banana caramel that comes with the pancakes should be served with ice cream it is so delicious. We also ordered the steak Benedict and egg sandwich which was all melt in your mouth wonderful. It was loud but it was football Sunday so that is to be expected. Everyone wants to go back some time and try the non-brunch items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five Stars all the way around!momruns262Dined on 9/13/2014Fabulous food and service at this upscale Nashville restaurant. Sophisticated ambience and menu. Spectacular service. Food was superb. I can't rave enough about our meal here. Thoroughly enjoyed.Special Features:
- Tell them not to seat u near door!concordNCDined on 9/13/2014Went for dinner & brunch. Sat us near door, (even w/reservations) & evrytime door opened we got a cold breeze draft on a chilly evening. Not fun. Had those awaiting seating just inches from us who were loud. Others were standing over us, inches away, Felt crowded. It was also NOT cool to have 2 kids seated in the bar area. Even if they were teens, wasn't cool. Our waiter, who had full beard (I was grossed out by the thought of him carrying my food) was not excited and was monotone. Told him we couldn't hear specials, he repeated with no effort to be louder, so we ordered no special. Supper was delicious! Breakfast not,had avocado on sandwich that was brown & smelled spoiled. Friend had Awesome banana pancakes! Better seating for breakfast!Special Features:
- another excellent experiencera306Dined on 9/13/2014We took out of town guests there Saturday night. They loved the look and feel. Server was engaged and knowledgeable. There is a good wine list and markups are reasonable. As always, there was a wide variety of food choices and they accommodated some special requests. Food was excellent. We have always enjoyed the Southern and did so again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedVandyParent17Dined on 9/13/2014The Southern disappointed me. We are not ultra snobby food critics, but the food was really just okay. The wedge salad was drowining in dressing. One filet (medium well) was cooked dead--totally well done. The other filet (medium rare) was mooing--ultra rare--cold in the center. My daughter's custom cut ribeye had great taste, but was also ordered medium well, and it was charred--past well done. So, three steaks, two overcooked, one undercooked. How can that happen in the same restaurant? The sides were not good, the asparagus and mushrooms looked reheated, and the fries were cold. There was an excellent side of green beans, and there was a very nice piece of chocolate cake at the end of the meal.Special Features:
- Top of favorites list.pickypickypickyVIPDined on 9/12/2014The Southern is a great place for dinner prior to a downtown event. We love the varied menu and the friendly staff. The energy level adds to the experience. It is always hopping!Special Features:
- The Southern delivered ...CharleneHDined on 9/12/2014Loved the food and outstanding service. Decided to do a bunch of apps instead of a main and it really gave us a taste of everything. Albeit small, the crab cakes were the best I've had to date, biscuits and steak were melt-in-your-mouth delicious and the hot chicken ...Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & ServiceTWBSSRDined on 9/12/2014The menu has a great variety so any palate can find delicious choices. The appetizers can make for a meal. The sesame shrimp is a favorite of ours. The pork chop was huge and delicious enough to share. This also is a great place if you are going to the symphony as you can leave your car in their valet parking.Special Features:
- Another great mealProsecoDined on 9/12/2014Amazing grouper w/sweet potato fries, slaw & blackberry tea---yum! Manager was very helpful describing oyster selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Very Good.BusterDined on 9/10/2014Had the "The Belle" basically a 8 ounce tenderloin on a bed of mashed potatoes laced with portobellos and pieces of asparagus pieces. The meat was too done for requesting rare. It was medium rare. However, regardless of the overcooking the filet was excellent. The grill lent a bit of a smoky flavor which was not overwhelming but did mask the beef flavor of, what I assumed to be, prime beef. Some mix-up on the ordering of desserts where we were "offered" the mistake dessert which was good but we were charged for both desserts anyway. The restaurant was busy with a line of customers waiting to be seated. The waitress was clearly rushed and lost attention to detail and could not follow-up after delivering the main course. Oysters were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1keeDined on 9/10/2014I chose this destination for a once-a-year reunion with a college friend. I had requested a private spot in order to facilitate good conversation. We were seated in the back at a table by the serving area. I was disappointed that they did not seat us in a location that was more appropriate to my reservation. The restaurant became more noisy as the lunch hour passed, and we ended up shouting in order to converse. The service was fair with little attention to detail-- ice completely melted in the iced tea glasses. We each chose hot chicken salad and it was very good.Special Features:
- WHISTLERDined on 9/8/2014EXCELLENT EVENING. BEGAN WITH SITTING AT THE BAR, ENJOYED VERY TASTY BLUE POINT OYSTERS, THE BAR IS AN INTERESTING SPOT AS ALL OYSTERS ARE PREPARED RIGHT BEFORE YOU. OUR TABLE WAS AVAILABLE AND READY AT THE RESERVED TIME, SERVICE CONTINUED TO BE TIMELY AND ALL STAFFERS WERE PLEASANT AND PERSONABLE. OUR DINNER WAS AWESOME, BEER AND WINE CHOICES WERE OUTSTANDING. WE NEVER FELT RUSHED THROUGH THE DINING EXPERIENCE, WE HAD A WONDERFUL TIME.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014Can't say enough good things about out Birthday dinner celebration at The Southern! From the BBQ shrimp appetizer to the filet and the strip steaks, the fish & grits to the banana foster bread pudding! All delicious.Special Features:
- Nice findChucn2011Dined on 9/7/2014Away from crowds on Broadway and very pleasant outside seating available. Wonderful flavors and a surprise with chargrilled oysters New Orleans style that were prepared perfectly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nashville BitesDetroiterDined on 9/7/2014Read about this on Yelp and it was everything and more! I had one of the BEST shrimp/grits dishes I've ever had. Requested bacon EXTRA crispy and it came as requested. Bonus! Hate limp, fatty bacon. My guests had The Cuban which was terrific and the steak Benedict. Meal was so delicious we've decided to go back and try dinner before we head back to Michigan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the best Southern...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014We had reservations for a Saturday dinner and were scrambling for a late Friday dinner place (10:30 pm)...they were still open and took us right in. What a gem! We couldn't wait to go back the second night! Wonderful food AND it is just a block or two away from the Sommet Center!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its an experience!nashvillenosherDined on 9/6/2014We enjoyed the evening with another couple, and we all ended up meeting new friends while visiting at the bar before dinner. Lively and fun ambiance. Amazing menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good!luvtherebelsDined on 9/6/2014We have dined at The Southern 3 time within the past year while visiting Nashville and we have always enjoyed ourselves. The main dining area can be loud, so if you're looking for a romantic evening, this may not be the best choice. But, the food is consistently good and the service is excellent. We will definitely visit The Southern on our next trip to Nashville.Special Features:
- PatriciaDined on 9/6/2014Food is always good. Noise level is high. hard to talk. We did have a round corner booth which made conversation easier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Downtown DiningJakeDined on 9/5/2014The Southern was very close to our hotel, so we stopped in for happy hour the first day we were in town, and then returned for dinner and again for Sunday brunch. The bar serves creative cocktails and offers oysters on the half shell at happy hour discounts. There are other appetizers on the menu that are well worth trying. The steaks are awesome and not overpriced. Probably the best experience we had was the Sunday brunch. They serve delicious eggs benedict. The room is modern with floor to ceiling windows, which makes the restaurant feel light and airy. We will definitely be back on our next visit to Nashville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Great food, good portions, quiet enough to have good conversation, relaxed and laid back atmosphere, good wine selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mikey2Dined on 9/5/2014Very enjoyable,steaks were done perfectly and the martinis were awsome ( for $7 in downtown Nashville !!) I kind of wish Id gone for the filet as the Tbone had a small amount of gristle but all in all a great evening.Special Features:
- Good FoodMReeseDined on 9/3/2014Went there for business. It hit the spot and everyone really enjoyed the atmosphere and especially the food. A good time was had by all!Special Features:
- Good food, excellent serviceolderdinerDined on 9/3/2014Had planned a nice dinner with friends to get to know them better. Seated behind the bar which is considerably noisier than the rest of the restaurant. Very hard to hold a conversation. . I had the filet which was very good. The salad was only marginal as it is a misinterpretation of a Caesar salad and misses the mark. Wine list is so so and leans towards pricier wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GastroGirlDined on 9/2/2014Raven was our server and she was brilliant! She is that perfect combination of friendly but not bothersome. The food was great as always. I had a filet and I like it cooked just so and the chef did it perfectly.Special Features:
- A great rest but a bad tablePerkamontyVIPDined on 8/31/2014We had reservations for brunch but were sat in the back in the room reserved for large parties. Not very good ambience The food as always was great. We have even many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014This is the best restaurant in nashville for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great atmosphere.LuvnNashvilleDined on 8/30/2014Best meal of our entire trip. The food was excellent and had something for everyone. We had a sassy waiter we found funny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!NashfoodieDined on 8/30/2014From the moment we walked in we were treated extremely well. The bar is vibrant and booming with activity. The service was impeccable with servers catering to our every need. They were knowledgeable and fast. The food was divine! And please have the Chocolate Whiskey cake! Amazing! I'll be back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!ilovenashvilleDined on 8/30/2014My boyfriend and I went here on a double date with some of our friends. We got there a little early, had some drinks at the bar, and they were able to sit us about 15 min before our actual reservation time. The service was fantastic! Food a little over-priced ($30-50 steak, $15-25 apps), but hey! its Nashville! Definitely worth trying!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood and gritsCurlygirlDined on 8/29/2014I had the seafood (which was halibut that evening) and grits. It was a nice piece of fish and overall very delicious.Special Features:
- Our new favorite!TwoThumbsUpDined on 8/29/2014We were looking for some place new for our anniversary. Someone recommended a couple of places. When I checked the menus, The Southern looked better. We are so glad we went! We sat at a booth by the window. The atmosphere was great-not too noisy, but not too quiet either. Charlie, our waiter was great with recommendations and great service. Philip, the manager stopped by and wished us a happy anniversary and chatted for a few minutes. They didn't charge us for our delicious strawberry rhubarb dessert. We also had oysters, a Caesar salad, chicken fried chicken, and the fish and grits. I had the Kendall's Cup cocktail. Everything was so good. The valet parking is a plus. Next time, we will try their brunch,Special Features:
- Nashdine1Dined on 8/28/2014Our server didn't care at all. He almost seemed annyoed he had to wait on us. He took a while to take our order and after our food came he didn't check on us very often. This is not a cheap place. So for the tips these servers get it would be great if they would actually WORKed for their tips and make guests feel at least welcomed.Special Features:
- Titans TailgateStumpyDined on 8/28/2014Great place to "tailgate" inside at their bar before a game. Quick walk over the bridge to the stadium!Special Features:
- first timQueenDDined on 8/27/2014Great food and Great service! We will return! I will go for happy hour. It was fun. I wouldn't recommend a place for a romantic dinner. But a great hang out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bone$TommyMcDined on 8/27/20144 dollars an ounce for a bone in ribeye. Cooked to death, with sides smaller than a kiddie meal at Micky D's. Noise level? Unbearable!