150 3rd Avenue S #110
Nashville, TN 37201Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thesouthernnashville.com/
- Phone: 6157241762x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 11:00am, Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matt Farley
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: The Southern and TomKats are pleased to offer a variety of full service catering and event planning options to meet your specific needs. Whether you"re planning a private dinner for 50, or a lavish event for 500, we can customize a menu that is right for you. Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
A word from The Southern
Located on the ground floor of the Pinnacle at Symphony Place in the heart of the burgeoning SoBro district, The Southern takes its guests on a culinary journey where every entree tells a story. The traditional yet eclectic eating house features a state-of-the-art, shuck-to-order oyster bar, a real wood-fired grill, a locally grown buying strategy, deliciously tender meats and direct sourced, guaranteed fresh, sustainable seafood. The menus at the southern combine indigenous flavors with exotic ingredients and offer an authentically southern adventure with a twist. The Southern will prove soon be to be known for its genuine hospitality and unmatched eats.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Southern - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Southern reviews from OpenTable diners
642 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (330)fit for foodies (293)vibrant bar scene (253)special occasion (234)good for groups (222)great for brunch (203)great for outdoor dining (176)great for lunch (159)neighborhood gem (158)notable wine list (65)romantic (64)late-night find (52)kid-friendly (31)scenic view (31)Show More
- Amazing Steak!JPGKIRKVIPDined on 9/29/2014Booked reservations here to take a client to dinner who was staying at the Omni and could walk to meet me. He lives in the West Village and travels the world but said it was the best steak he'd had all year. All four of us in our party had the "Belle" and it was amazing. We were seated near the bar which was very loud but it added to the overall vibrant scene of the place. I can't wait to take my husband.Special Features:
- The southern experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014Not what we expected. More like a sports bar than a nice restaurant. Very loud and not intimate if that is your preference. The food was very good and I have no complaints here. Our waitress heather was Mia most of the evening and we had to flag other people down. Bad service for such an expensive meal. The food was worth it but the service was not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/28/2014I do not like to go to a restaurant and sit side by side with another party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014The Chicken and Waffles and Blood Orange Mimosas were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/28/2014We closed our Nashville trip with brunch at The Southern and it was great. We really enjoyed all our meals as we got five different things between the four of us and we shared. I highly suggest going.Special Features:
- Over PricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 9/27/2014Food quality and menu selection are both good, but at those price points, better options exists in downtown Nashville. Also, this is a very popular spot so it is pretty crowded and loud.Special Features:
- Don't waste your timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Very bad service. Food was average at the best for the money. Could have gotten a better tasting steak at longhorn steak house.
- Wish we found it sooner!!OhioProudDined on 9/27/2014We love local spots and this is by far the BEST Downtown. A little bit of everything for everyone and at favorable food/drink prices. We had Saturday Brunch and were so impressed we went back for a late night dinner after the Opry. Our VERY picky friend even enjoyed the food:) Will recommend this restaurant to anyone headed to Nashville!Special Features:
- Hostess should check the attitudeLocaleaterDined on 9/26/2014Had reservations on Friday for 6 people. 4 of our party were there - and the other 2 had to back to their car because they forgot their show tickets. The hostess seemed put out when I told her the rest of our party was on their way. She rolled her eyes and said, "Well, I'll seat you but your friends need to be here quickly, really quickly." I understand on a busy Friday night they need to turn the house as quickly as they can, but they shouldn't talk to their patrons like little kids. The food and service were great. It's just unfortunate that the evening had to start with a snarky hostess.Special Features:
- Southern Food, gormet styleSaintkikiDined on 9/26/2014I have yet to have an unsatisfactory meal here. The filet was so tender I could cut it with a fork. The Safire bleu cheese biscuit appetizer is amazing! The atmosphere is nice and comfortable, and not at all pretentious. The cocktail list has some unique offerings, such as my personal favorite-the Blackberry Mtn tea made with Blackberry moonshine. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1GDPVIPDined on 9/26/2014Service was not the norm on this visit - disappointed. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- The SouthernSouthernDined on 9/25/2014By far the best restaurant in downtown. It's a block off the beaten path, great food, great ambiance, reasonable price. Normally excellent service, however this time our waitress was not quite on her game. We will always frequent The Southern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good SteakKzooVisitorsDined on 9/25/2014The Belle steak entree was amazing! Good portion size. The vegetable soup was just medicore - nothing more than Campbell's. The steak made up for it. Cool set up for the bar in the middle.Special Features:
- Dinner with friendsthegingDined on 9/24/2014Somewhat mixed feelings about the Southern. We ordered two appetizers the duck egg rolls and steak and biscuits; they were both scrumptious. There were four of us and we all ordered something different so that we could share. Pork Chop - outstanding! Salmon with Thai Noodles - outstanding! Fresh Catch was Halibut - very good! The Belle is what I had; it was nothing special. It was tender but lacked flavor. It sat on a smidgen of potatoes and was supposed to come with grilled asparagus; it did but they were cut up in the potatoes and I counted 4 pieces, needless to say, I was a little disappointed in my selection. It was very very noisy. If I had known, I would have requested a more secluded area. Overall... very good with a minus.Special Features:
- Wish I lived closer!vaca4nashvilleDined on 9/24/2014My husband and I visited Nashville, ate here and can't stop talking about it! Food was awesome and I am quite the food snob! We had the steak biscuits for an appetizer, mouthwatering! We both had steak, I had petite fillet, excellent! Would recommend this place, but be sure to make reservations. Eric our waiter was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SnookieDined on 9/23/2014This resturant was excellent. There were five of us and everyone loved their selection. The noise, well it was very very loud. Could not hear what anyone was saying. Loved the food fun place and I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good enoughjmcorDined on 9/23/2014The Southern had good food and very good service, but the noise level and the TVs every where really take away from the experience. This is a decent choice if you have tickets to something downtown, but I would not make this a destination restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaryDined on 9/22/2014We love the Southern;the food is wonderful,service is spot on and it is hust loud enough that you don't feel you have to whisperSpecial Features:
- great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Expectations were definitely met with the meal, service and atmosphere. This is great place to take a family or a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunday brunchweekenddinerDined on 9/21/2014made a Sunday brunch reservation and was taken to our table on time. the food was great. was rather noisy and quite busy but service did not suffer with all of the activity going on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!Tiffanie06Dined on 9/21/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday and we LOVED it! I would definitely recommend The Southern to anyone and everyone. We can't wait to come back!Special Features:
- Can't miss dining and atmosphere!Clayton8Dined on 9/21/2014For a unique Nashville dining experience and outstanding food, The Southern should be at the top of your list. I'm a local and it's my favorite brunch spot in town. The chocolate chip and banana pancakes just might change your life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visiting NashvilleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014We went to the Southern for my girlfriend's birthday on the first night of our trip to Nashville. She had halibut with sweet potato grits and it was delicious (I did try a little, too) and I had the "Nudie Suit" which is a rotating variety of steak per ounce at current market price. Mine was a 17oz wet-aged boneless ribeye which was AMAZING. It was perfectly seared and had great flavor. I would've done the bone-in dry-aged ribeye but they were all 20oz or greater and we were going out on the town, and I needed to save room for dessert. haha They did a great job explaining the dry-aged vs wet-aged and they custom-cut the wet-aged which was one of the main reasons I got that one. She had blackberry mountain tea, very good cocktail.Special Features:
- Awesome steaksOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014Cooked to order my sirloin was a perfect medium rareI would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, but food was greatSmrob85Dined on 9/20/2014I took my wife here for our anniversary. The food and service was great, but it was not a romantic atmosphere. With a crowded restaurant, it was too loud to carry on a conversation. We could barely here are waiter. I highly recommend the crab cake appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous find!PHurstDined on 9/20/2014Wow, we were so impressed with this restaurant! It exceeded our expectations. The food was out of this world - my husband said it is the best burger he has ever had! Love the decor and energetic atmosphere. Awesome music combo was playing (guitar, fiddle, upright bass) - very fun and excellent quality music - just a little loud sometimes when trying to talk. Would highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- When in Nashville -the southernDCDiningVIPDined on 9/19/2014was concerned when they couldn't seat us -845 reservation, seated at 9:15. They handled it very well and sent out some appetizers courtesy of the chef. Food is excellent. Nice cocktail menu. Awesome service. Just off Broadway so you don't feel like you are in a tourist spot but also close enough to get your honky tonk on after dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Foodcrazycanuck44Dined on 9/19/2014This is one of our favorite downtown restaurants. Great bar with a number of craft beers on tap. Great place to pick your rib-eye and have it cooked to your liking. Very vibrant atmosphere.Special Features:
- DmwardenDined on 9/18/2014I recommend they serve their BBQ shrimp with heads off! They are swimming in orange broth so when I went to take the head off , orange drops sprayed all over my new white Polo sweater. I was never able to able to enjoy my meal trying to get the orange spots out, which never did. My friend also got a spot on her white blouse. The butternut squash was good but room temperature. The steak biscuits were great
- Birthday dinnerTennesseeCoupleDined on 9/17/2014We came for my wife's birthday. It was a beautiful place. The server was excellent. The food was delicious and well portioned. It is a little pricey but this is our new nice night out place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSheiladVIPDined on 9/16/2014I eat at The Southern often and everytime it's exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Food was fantastic. Had to ask for bread, otherwise wouldn't have gotten any. The prices & the ambiance don't match up. Nice sports bar feeling w/very high end prices. $45.00 for a dozen oysters, was advertised as steak & oyster restaurant-passed on the oystersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesDiningout4funDined on 9/15/2014This Southern never disappoints. I would recommend this to anyone looking or a great dinner for any occasion. I bring my sales associates here when they visit from out of town and it is always a hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DrewDined on 9/14/2014Food was awesome! I highly recommend this restaurant. Friendly staff also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingCmusDined on 9/14/2014This was the perfect place to celebrate a birthday! Great ambiance and excellent food with big portions. Definitely a favorite restauarant in NashvilleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommended Gem.2smithereensDined on 9/14/2014I would highly recommend this restaurant to family and friends. I tweeted it out after my experience there. Food and service were outstanding, ambiance very good, wine list was excellent. I recommend making a reservation, which I did, walk-ins will have an 45 minute to hour long wait if not. In high demand in NAshville.Special Features:
- Southern Living in Local LocationCuzinJoeyDined on 9/14/2014This restaurant is located across street from concert venues, an easy walk to down-town Nashville, and has great food priced reasonably. We enjoy the oysters and other special touches available here.Special Features:
- Mixed ExperienceNashvillediningDined on 9/14/2014Brought my parents for their first time experience. Really appreciated the restaurant being able to seat us prior to our reservation time. Food was fantastic and delicious. Disappointed with the desert, which we usually don't order from restaurants but thought we would treat ourselves. Had a glass of wine, the glass was barely full, and they were out of my first choice, so that was disappointing. Really disappointed in our waiter, seemed we were an afterthought, not friendly, never really stopped by the table to check on us or our beverages, annoyed we ordered dinner ealry. I was embarrassed to have recommended this place for dinner based on that service and desert. But they made up for it with a great meal. Probably won't be back.Special Features:
- Go for the Southern OystersSlyp73Dined on 9/14/2014We went for brunch this past Sunday. The Southern Oysters were the best I have had. My 13yr old ate 1/2 of the dozen by himself. My 11yr old loved the pancakes. The banana caramel that comes with the pancakes should be served with ice cream it is so delicious. We also ordered the steak Benedict and egg sandwich which was all melt in your mouth wonderful. It was loud but it was football Sunday so that is to be expected. Everyone wants to go back some time and try the non-brunch items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five Stars all the way around!momruns262Dined on 9/13/2014Fabulous food and service at this upscale Nashville restaurant. Sophisticated ambience and menu. Spectacular service. Food was superb. I can't rave enough about our meal here. Thoroughly enjoyed.Special Features: